• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Correct description of a Zero to Death?

saladtossfalcon

Smash Rookie
I've heard mixed opinions. I've always been told that a Zero to Death is a combo that brings your opponent from 0% to death. However, at a local I was at a while ago, my opponent took off a stock right after he had spawned after I had taken off one of his stocks. He pauses and pops off, saying "Get zero to death'd, fraud" Totally confused, I told him that it wasn't a zero to death. After I'd said this, a few people told me that it was.

So which one is it? Is it a combo that brings someone from 0 to death or is it essentially killing someone while you're at 0%?

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
LOL. Your "friends"....

If someone is at 150% and you KO them, it's not a 0-death.

0-death means they were at 0% and you combo'd them without being hit until they lose their stock.

You are correct, the other guy is crazy.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
LOL. Your "friends"....

0-death means they were at 0% and you combo'd them without being hit until they lose their stock.

The only thing I have to add to this is that "combo" isn't really well defined. So I would just say it's when you take someone from 0% to death without getting hit yourself.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's still a combo even if it isn't all in stun. That's why I added the part about not being hit.

Ex: there are lots of throw setups that lead into aerial, but for some the stun technically ends before they're hit by a frame or two. It doesn't mean that throw doesn't combo into the aerial at that percent.

I will say though, if neutral is reset and no one gets hit for like 10 seconds, it's not really a 0-death even though you were untouched.

Last edited:

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
It's still a combo even if it isn't all in stun.
I'm not saying it's not, I'm just saying what is and isn't a combo isn't well defined, so it's not the best thing to use when defining something.

I will say though, if neutral is reset and no one gets hit for like 10 seconds, it's not really a 0-death even though you were untouched.
Yeah this is a grey area for me, I don't really know what to think.

saladtossfalcon

Smash Rookie
LOL. Your "friends"....

The only thing I have to add to this is that "combo" isn't really well defined. So I would just say it's when you take someone from 0% to death without getting hit yourself.
Yes, exactly what I thought . Thank you both

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if they can escape or not, what matters is if they actually do escape or not.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
It doesn't matter if they can escape or not, what matters is if they actually do escape or not.
Again, what does "escape" actually mean? If you want a rigorous definition where there can be no argument about what is and isn't considered a 0 to death, then you can't use words like these (unless you define them too).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Again, what does "escape" actually mean? If you want a rigorous definition where there can be no argument about what is and isn't considered a 0 to death, then you can't use words like these (unless you define them too).
Damn, you're really pushing for something trivial here, lol. The only solution must be pi, so once your opponent regains his footing onstage, if 3.14159265389 seconds go by without you hitting them, it's no longer a 0-death.

Now that that's over, you can go terrorize someone else over the exact definition of a "Johnny stock"

:denzel:

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
You know what I mean by escape. You're grasping at straws.

AlexIsStarving

Smash Apprentice
Personally, i refer to a zero to death combo as a combo that leads to death with no resets in neutral.

I refer to a zero to death as basically the same thing but with resets.

It is kinda trivial, but i can see how one can get caught up in it.

Masondeanm

Smash Cadet
You know what I mean by escape. You're grasping at straws.
I'm not graspig at straws, I'm merely saying if you want a definition that is so clear cut that you can look at footage and say yes or no and have there be nothing up to individual interpretation, you can't use words like that.

Top Bottom