• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(Corporate Mindgames) Did Nintendo help us reach the 130k viewers?

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
Just read an article that Melee reached the highest watched fighting game ever (pre SSF4 and UMVC3). Is it possible that Nintendo created such a stink that helped spread the word about the tournament?

I'm sure we'll never know, but Nintendo does a lot of strange and secretive things. A couple great examples are not shutting down PM, Smash Crusade, the Mother 3 translation, AM2R, and a ton of other project people are working on. I know that they get free marketing and whatever, but still.

Think about it...a relatively small community, with a lot of received hate and no support. Seems like a prime target for something that needs more acceptance and growth to me.

Comatose

Smash Apprentice
Hmmm... and if nintendo is controlled by the illuminati then that must mean... :O! Mango for prez in 2016!

Ulevo

Smash Master
What likely happened was we had some higher up middle man from Nintendo (possibly Nintendo of America) give the guys at EVO a slap on the wrist followed by a "no!" because they were following protocol and not intelligent marketing decisions, to which someone even higher up at Nintendo caught wind of this and figured that this would be good publicity for the upcoming Smash Wii U, and gave it the go ahead.

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
no, it was an unfortunate event with fortunate side effects.
No. Nintendo messed up. We made this happen.
What likely happened was we had some had a higher up middle man from Nintendo (possibly Nintendo of America) give the guys at EVO a slap on the wrist followed by a "no!" because they were following protocol and not intelligent marketing decisions, to which someone even higher up at Nintendo caught wind of this and figured that this would be good publicity for the upcoming Smash Wii U, and gave it the go ahead.

I understand this is the general consensus, but there isn't enough proof to solidify it.

Of course, neither is my theory, but look at the results

Sedda

Smash Champion
There is no way Nintendo could've predicted this. They messed up, and as a consequence, we got more exposure than we would've otherwise gotten.

Nobody at Nintendo decided that it would be good publicity to allow Melee at EVO to go on. The only thing that made them decide was this whole month and the power that the internet gives people when they can give you feedback IMMEDIATELY.

Summary of what happened: "Here's our decision." *massive backlash* "lolz jk:nervous:"

Jesseyo

Smash Apprentice
There is no way Nintendo could've predicted this. They messed up, and as a consequence, we got more exposure than we would've otherwise gotten.

Then why didn't they make an official statement for anything?

Not saying you're wrong or I'm right, nor am I one to believe in conspiracies. Nintendo does some amazing things

Sedda

Smash Champion
I think it's because they have no clue how to address the situation. If you're going to do something like this and make it a publicity stunt, it would've been the easiest thing to say something along the lines of "we understand the passion of the competitive side of the game," or something.

Not putting out an official statement tells me that they still feel the same way about competitive Smash as they did before, but they don't want to say anything to upset anyone yet again, so they don't know how to address this. I admire their ability to stick to their position (I really think that that's why there's no statement), but they're still not in the game when it comes to knowing what fans want in the digital age.

Radiowar

Smash Cadet
from what people who were actually in contact with nintendo have said, nintendo was blindsided by the whole thing. they didnt know about the tournament, or the fundraiser, or the attendance, or anything like that. even if they did know about all that, why would they do something so elaborate to promote a single, niche event for a two-generation-old video game at the expense of making themselves look like out of touch reactionary idiots

superorez

Smash Rookie
Or here's another tin foil hat theory: What if this was the FGC's way to try and kill melee. Mr. Wizard asks way too late for permission so Evo will get a no from Nintendo and he blames it on them. Then since Nintendo would be precieved as too hard to deal with and no further tourneys of Nintendo games could be hosted.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
Then why didn't they make an official statement for anything?

Not saying you're wrong or I'm right, nor am I one to believe in conspiracies. Nintendo does some amazing things
Nintendo does really stupid things time after time to the point that Im amazed the company is still alive, the fact that they tried to prevent Melee from being streamed is a small stupidity in comparison to everything theyve ****ed up

Top Bottom