• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CoroCoro Unveils New Information on Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
New information regarding Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire has surfaced in the newest edition of CoroCoro. These remakes of the highly successful Gameboy Advance games will include many new features, including the Mega Evolution mechanic, which was introduced in Pokemon X and Y. In addition, some Pokemon will be getting brand-new Mega Evolution forms!

In Pokemon X and Y, a Torchic with its final evolution’s Mega Stone, Blazikenite, was released through Mystery Gift, and many Hoenn lovers wondered why the other two third generation starters had been overlooked. Now they can praise Helix that Sceptile and Swampert return in Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire with Mega Evolutions to match up to their Fire/Fighting type companion. While Mega Swampert keeps its Water/Ground typing, Mega Sceptile gains a secondary Dragon type, making it a Grass/Dragon type. Both Pokemon will also pick up new abilities. Mega Swampert receives the Swift Swim ability, which increases its speed stat in the rain. Mega Sceptile adapts the Lightningrod ability, which nullifies any potential damage taken by Electric type attacks and raises the Pokemon’s special attack stat.

The event-only Pokemon, Diancie, is the first sixth generation Pokemon to receive a Mega Evolution. Little is known about Diancie at all, other than the fact that it has some sort of relation to its fellow Jewel Pokemon, Carbink. Mega Diancie will keep its Rock/Fairy typing, but CoroCoro lists its ability as ???, which leaves room for a lot of speculation. Many believe Diancie will get a never-before-seen ability, but only time will tell.

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’s icons, Groudon and Kyogre, receive special kinds of Mega Evolutions. Instead of being called “Mega Groudon” and “Mega Kyogre,” the CoroCoro article roughly translates to “Atom Groudon” and “Atom Kyogre,” implying that the Pokemon undergo some sort of atomic regression, which fits into Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire’s land and sea theme. It’s currently unknown whether or not Groudon and Kyogre will “Mega Evolve” in the same manner as other Pokemon do.

Being full remakes of Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire – not sequels – many aspects of the original games return. Our protagonists, Brendan and May, return with new designs, as well as the sinister Teams Aqua and Magma. To reflect the original games, Team Aqua and Team Magma will still have the same leaders and executives, and whichever game you play determines which team you face.

Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire launch worldwide in November 2014. Be sure to stop by the Poke Center here on SmashBoards to discuss anything Pokemon-related with your fellow Pokemon Trainers, Breeders, and Professors. Don’t forget to catch Nintendo’s E3 Livestream on this Tuesday, June 10, 2014.

iDOWN is a pop punk enthusiast who is ready to get out this town and drive up the turnpike with his bros and lots of pizza. He also has great hair. You can be really hip with him on his Twitter, @PlayerOneiDOWN.

Last edited:

Vidiot825

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8558-7913
Too much hype for this game! Can't wait to replay my first pokemon game with even more power behind the story!

Man Li Gi

Smash Lord
NNID
ManLiGi

Mega Swampert...nuff said.

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Pretty cool, I wasn't that big into Pokemon after the age of 9 where I lost interest but after getting to play X as well as Fire Red last Octobur they brough me back now as a 20 year old dudeand because I liked X so much I'm looking forward to these remakes partly because I sampled Emerald on an emulator once and I honestly lost interest very quickly so hopefully with it's improvements I'll be willing to give it another chance.

Element of Smash

Scrub Lord
On one hand, the remakes were really predictable. I mean, it's a running theme.

That said, I can't help but be utterly elated. R&S were undoubtedly my favorite installations in Pokemon.

Last edited:

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
You forgot Chris Redfield, but this image is just too perfect!
Thing is, Ike doesn't look ripped, because he actually is older in the Smash Bros. 4 game, apparently, so he HAD to have gained muscle. Plus...that sword is heavy as ****, of course his muscles will eventually bulge like Zangief's!

Last edited:

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
Why does Mega Sceptile have to get stuck with Lightningrod when it already quad-resists Electric?

Drazile

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3797-5765-7295
Now all we need to know about Diancee is WHEN THEY WILL F***ING LET US HAVE IT

itsameluigi1290

Smash Journeyman
NNID
luigitime1290
HUMAN CHARACTERS ARE OVER SEXUALIZED

LIKE THE GIRL STICKING HER BUTT OUT

0/10 worst game ever

Seriously though, I'm loving these redesigns. I can't wait to see clearer photos.

And Mega Sceptile SQUEEEEEEEEE ~

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Why does Mega Sceptile have to get stuck with Lightningrod when it already quad-resists Electric?
Well to be fair, it DOES get an immunity to Thunder Wave, which is pretty useful.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
Switch into volt switch. Acquire a special attack boost, while Sceptile will undoubtably get a huge boost in Special Attack. Wreck anything that comes in.

Also, it makes Sceptiles impressive speed hard to tear down, as it is immune to t-wave, which means the only way to paralyze it is glare, or normalize t-wave. Or random para-hax from lick... which no one uses.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Well whatever boosts it's special attack, and I'd bet at it's mega evolution already has very high speed and special attack. Also, I thought smogon always considered a electric-nullifier on your team for competitive battling. I'm down for it!

Ferio_Kun

Smash Journeyman
Hmmm, how will you beat a Rotom-H w/ Discharge and a Mega Sceptile in a double battle? They offer amazing synergy toward each others weaknesses. Plus that Satk increase and double hit every turn...

TheLegendaryKRB

Smash Apprentice
I like Mega Sceptile. Swampert is my 4th favorite Pokemon so Mega Swampert should be coo- FUUUUUUUUUUU-

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
So my friend said to me, "How the hell do Groudon and Kyogre get more powerful when they DEvolve? It's so stupid."
To which I reply, "Lizards evolved from creatures similar to dinosaurs."
He then goes silent.

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
:D:D:D:D:D my loyalty and love for hoenn is being rewarded very graciously. hazaaah!

herbmaster%

my dankchu is 420XX
3DS FC
2836-1534-7477
I was originally gonna praise the great Arceus, but AlphaZealot reminded me about Helix hahahah.
i worship the glitch pokemon of RYB. they're they only ones that break the game and give me the power that i seek. arceus doesn't level my pokemon up to L100 for me.

Top Bottom