• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller set up?

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Marth seems like a pretty cool character to use and I absolutely love the fair (double Fair/Dancing Blade -> fair). Still need to get used to his spacing and edgehogging.

I just wanted to ask you guys what controller set up you guys use. I heard Tap jump on is good for the Dolphin slash out of shield, but what else.

Also, Id like to hear some basic/advanced tips from some marth mainers.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I have my controller set to tap jump on, c-stick smashes, A, B, X, Y, Z, and R are default, but L is grab.

And just FYI you could have posted this in Pierce7D's Q and A thread.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
When I use other characters I use Tap Jump Off and whichever gray button, X/Y can't remember, that's on the left to grab.

However, I have a specific setting with Tap Jump On for DS OoS when I use Marth, who's my most commonly used character anyways. I still grab with the other button, though

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
So...

I've the problem with the free DS from shield since I don't have tap jump on. I have it off.
But... Junk once said that the free DS is really Shield -> Jump (cancel) -> DS

so I added "L" to jump... and I press 3 buttons for the DS.
Then I realized that it doesn't make that much difference for me... if I just drop the shield and DS.

My setting is as follows.

"L" = Jump
"X" = Grab

Tap Jump: Off

Everything else, default.

Also... the effects of tap jump off, allow for sticky landing after SB recovery (which will never actually be used, but its nice trivia)

and for future reference, don't use DB -> Fair as an approach.

siqmonkey

Smash Apprentice
the only change that i would recommend is setting Y to grab. but you can keep everything default if your used to z for grabbing.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I have Shield on x, to ease perfect shielding Falco's lasers and Pit's arrows (though I do it with R a lot as well).

Actually, I always to Pit's with R now. I only use X for perfect shielding Falco's grounded laser streams.

feardragon64

Smash Champion
I have Shield on x, to ease perfect shielding Falco's lasers and Pit's arrows (though I do it with R a lot as well).

Actually, I always to Pit's with R now. I only use X for perfect shielding Falco's grounded laser streams.
So you use y for jump? interesting....

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I could see how X would make easier perfect shielding for the ground lasers, but I still think I just prefer R&L, sometimes I might tap Z by accident but same effect (thank god)

TLMarth

Smash Ace

Just set the shield button that you don't use (L or R) to jump, and press that button at the same time as Up and B to DS out of shield

EDIT:
So you use y for jump? interesting....
So you use x for jump? interesting....
Lol I use Y for jump

Also an interesting setting for using x, Jaigoda, because my x is set to special for Toon Link's SHDA!

Jaigoda

Smash Apprentice
I'm a crappy marth player, but...

I have tap jump off, with X set to Special (so I simply press y and x simultaneously to DS OoS).

Also, my answer to Kook, I use both the C-stick and A for doing aerials. I use A when I need it to come out immediately after a jump, and the C-stick for most everything else (so for SH double Fairs, I hit Y,<A,<C).

crazn137

Smash Journeyman
I use 100% default controls. Utilt isn't a problem for me at all, so tap jump on. I tried switching Y to shield since I usually jump with X, but then I discovered I jump with both O.o

It turns out I do SHs with X, FHs with Y, and ledge jumps with Y. Not really sure why...

Hype

Smash Lord
- Tap jump on (For DS OoS)
- X is grab (I used to second Dedede and it helped to time infinites, then i Changed Z)
- Z is jump (so I can completly control my DI wiith the control stick and aerial with the C-stick)
- R is attack (So I can Nair without taking my ahn off the C-stick)
- I removed the spring from L and R (way easier to perfect shield)

I think I have one of the best possible control schemes for marth. My Z for jump and R for attack really help with spacing.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
- Tap jump on (For DS OoS)
- X is grab (I used to second Dedede and it helped to time infinites, then i Changed Z)
- Z is jump (so I can completly control my DI wiith the control stick and aerial with the C-stick)
- R is attack (So I can Nair without taking my ahn off the C-stick)
- I removed the spring from L and R (way easier to perfect shield)

I think I have one of the best possible control schemes for marth. My Z for jump and R for attack really help with spacing.
You realize that removing springs from your buttons is illegal and you could get DQ'd from most tournaments if they caught you doing that, right?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
You realize that removing springs from your buttons is illegal and you could get DQ'd from most tournaments if they caught you doing that, right?
Springs removed are part of the certified SBR tourney rules IIRC, but whether or not that inclusion of that rule into actual tourneys is legal is dependent on the venue's TO.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Springs removed are part of the certified SBR tourney rules IIRC, but whether or not that inclusion of that rule into actual tourneys is legal is dependent on the venue's TO.
"Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc),
except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are
banned. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be
disqualified from the tournament."

Taken from the ESTICLE topic, and is seen in just about every other tournament topic on the forums.

You're right, though, it depends on the TO

IDK

Smash Lord
since marth's dash grab is terrible... i almost never grab with z... but i grab all the time with R+A... and... you're saying that you just drop shield and then DS... but that ruins the point. because of the almost instant startup and 4 frames of invincibility... you can interrupt multi hit attacks like dancing blade / a combos... etc...

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
I already got that... dropping shield is ineffecient...

but at the moment... I'd rather make one less mistake while nerfing one of the best punishers... than make hella Uairs and Utilts and wasting second jump... and such... to have an attack I do scarcely (in the way it comes from shield)

Scrubs make mistakes y'know

Top Bottom