• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - MLG Anaheim 2014 Controller Modding for MLG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Well, I'm somewhat interested in competing in MLG. However, there is a major obstacle for me to overcome: I use Classic Controller over GameCube controller, and wireless controllers - and thus Wiimotes and Classic Controllers - are banned.

Now, the rules state only that you can remove springs from GameCube controllers, and seem to imply that no other controller mods are allowed. I've recently figured out a way that I can turn my Classic Controller into a GameCube controller. I only ask: Would it be within the rules for me to convert a Classic Controller into a GameCube controller to use at MLG?

~Supreme Dirt

DreadCthulhu

Smash Cadet
the reason they dont allow wii remotes and wii-chuks is because of the wireless, if what you are saying is that youve found a way to use the classic without wireless (how), then yes, i think youd be allowed to use it, otherwise not.

Lovely

Smash Lord
[COLOR="#SlateGray"]♣[/COLOR] [COLOR="#DarkGray"]Only way to play Classic Controller on MLG is getting a Classic Linker, (Classic Linker Plus for CC Pro), but I'm sure there's might be problems with attacks delay with action games like Smash Bros. >.<[/COLOR] [COLOR="#Gray"]♥[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#SlateGray"]♣[/COLOR] [COLOR="#DarkGray"]I'm sure there's another way, but I don't see too many of them without modding your controller.[/COLOR] [COLOR="#Gray"]♥[/COLOR]

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Pfft no. That's a ******** idea, MoP.

Essentially it involves me making a new gamecube controller circuit board that can fit inside the classic controller with the buttons in the correct spots, desoldering the cord from a gamecube controller and attaching it to the CCPro, in a nutshell.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Pfft no. That's a ******** idea, MoP.

Essentially it involves me making a new gamecube controller circuit board that can fit inside the classic controller with the buttons in the correct spots, desoldering the cord from a gamecube controller and attaching it to the CCPro, in a nutshell.
O.O dang lol. That would be cool if you pulled it off.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Gotta get a job first so I can pay for the board.

Definitely will post when I do it and perhaps make a guide. Probably will have to make 3, two of my friends also use CC.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
The question is whether or not the data messages are the same, though. If the Wii is looking for messages in the GCN Controller's language and the controller is talking like a Classic Controller, nothing happens on screen as far as characters moving and attacking.

It'd either be a great shortcut or failure. It's worth a shot, though. Then again, i know nothing of this sort of thing.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I mean, it's a circuit board. There's no code, just electricity running through a circuit. When you press a button, all you do is connecting two "wires" (the metal lines printed on the board). It would work if you connected the right wires (in fact there are third party products that let you plug PS2 controllers into a GC and such), but Supreme Dirt's idea is much cooler.

Gifts

¡Me gusta tejer!
Is it that hard to just use the GC controller? My friend used to use a CC, he then switched to the GC controller. It took him less than two days to get the hang of it. Your putting way too much effort into something that does not need to be done.

solecalibur

Smash Master
that sounds like your modding the controller even more then taking out the springs, wouldn't that be against the rules then =X

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I mean, it's a circuit board. There's no code, just electricity running through a circuit. When you press a button, all you do is connecting two "wires" (the metal lines printed on the board). It would work if you connected the right wires (in fact there are third party products that let you plug PS2 controllers into a GC and such), but Supreme Dirt's idea is much cooler.
Setup of the CC board is different from GCN. It has 3 more buttons ("-"/select, "home", and a second "Z" button)

My plan is to make both Z buttons do the same thing, which is shield, as it is a CC Pro I'm using.

Is it that hard to just use the GC controller? My friend used to use a CC, he then switched to the GC controller. It took him less than two days to get the hang of it. Your putting way too much effort into something that does not need to be done.

I don't like the layout of the GC controller. I don't have a jump button directly next to my Special and my Attack, and a grab button on the face. The handles are more pronounced, which is very nice as I have large hands. Also, shoulder buttons are much nicer than GC ones with the springs removed.

that sounds like your modding the controller even more then taking out the springs, wouldn't that be against the rules then =X
1. Players may not use a controller with Turbo capabilities, Button Mapping capabilities, or Wireless capabilities. Controllers with Turbo capabilities allow Players to press a button that results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press the same button multiple times. Controllers with Button Mapping capabilities allow Players to map a button sequence to a specific button. Pressing that button results in their Character performing a set of actions that would normally require the Player to press multiple buttons.
2. Players may not use a controller that has been modified in such a way that it alters their Character’s abilities and/or in-game mechanics. Players may not use a controller that has been modified to include a Turbo button or Button Mapping capabilities. Players are allowed to make cosmetic changes to their controller, however, Major League Gaming reserves the right to deny the use of any controller suspected of providing an unfair competitive advantage.
Passes on both accounts. So long as my controller functions just like a GC controller, I'm in the clear. Looking over that, it looks like only one Z button will be functional. It's pretty much a cosmetic change to the GC controller.

or you could just learn the gamecube controller

gc is the way to go man hands down
Have to disagree. CC Pro is nicer in most regards, and not to mention has a proper control stick for the C-stick.

Cropcircles

Smash Rookie
i'm still pretty interested in if you can get the analog sticks to function as they should. keep us posted

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I will. If it's easy enough to do, I might see about selling some if anyone wants any. If it's hell, though, don't expect me to make more than one. I'm pretty sure the analog sticks should work, worst case scenario I have to use the one from the GC controller. Pretty sure that won't be the case.

Now if the **** tri-wing screwdriver would just hurry up and get here so I can open up my CC and take a look at its guts.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I think he's just talking about chopping off the wiimote plug and replacing it with a GCN port plug.
This may be possible, I know it is possible to take a regular Xbox controller cut it and then attach it to a usb wire, and it can be used to play games on emulators and such.

firelord767

Smash Apprentice
I will. If it's easy enough to do, I might see about selling some if anyone wants any. If it's hell, though, don't expect me to make more than one. I'm pretty sure the analog sticks should work, worst case scenario I have to use the one from the GC controller. Pretty sure that won't be the case.

Now if the **** tri-wing screwdriver would just hurry up and get here so I can open up my CC and take a look at its guts.
Ah, the Tri-Wing screwdriver. I have a gamecube controller waiting to be dissected myself. I've opened another one before with the normal philip 4-winger, but it was a Mad Catz controller. Also, be careful as heck when taking out the guts, because the circuit boards of the shoulders snap easier than most twigs.

Speaking of which, it should be fun to see you fit that behemoth in the ultra-thin CC. The gamecube controller has those wonderful lumps on it's back because the LR buttons are huge, and as such their mini-circuit boards are also huge. The CC has smaller ones, and thus less room for the board. You may have to do some welding to get the old shoulder circuit boards from the CC onto the GC's main board. And even then, i highly doubt it would conduct the current correctly, and some new tracks or whatever may have to be layed.

Gee, now that i remember my trip to the center of my Mad Catz GC Controller, i feel sorry for you.

TemPesT-

Smash Lord
Have to disagree. CC Pro is nicer in most regards, and not to mention has a proper control stick for the C-stick.
you realize that a simple 2 dollar triwing screw driver could take a part a GC controller, and you can replace the cstick cap with a regulary joystick cap. :laugh:

Flayl

Smash Hero
you realize that a simple 2 dollar triwing screw driver could take a part a GC controller, and you can replace the cstick cap with a regulary joystick cap. :laugh:
And it still wouldn't be a proper control-stick. The C-stick in the GC controller isn't analog.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
And it still wouldn't be a proper control-stick. The C-stick in the GC controller isn't analog.
Which is the main problem with this project. I don't intend to compete in the current MLG season, so I have tons of time to get this ready for the next one.

As to all the people who say just learn GC controller, I prefer the CC over GC. The gamecube controller is bulky whilst still paradoxically being too small, and doesn't fit properly in my hands.

sph0nz

Smash Rookie
Or.. you could buy a third party classic controller, such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Wired-Cla...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cf00a0869

It's wired, and plugs into the gamecube port. I have one that my roommate bought. Personally, I don't like the classic controller, but whatever. It's cheap, but I'm not sure on the quality because I haven't used it much.

But hey, if you want to do it yourself, and if it's cheaper to do so, then more power to ya.

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
The GC just takes some getting used to... like any other controller. >.>
I'd rather use one I like, as opposed to one I'm forced to use, thanks.

Or.. you could buy a third party classic controller, such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/White-Wired-Cla...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4cf00a0869

It's wired, and plugs into the gamecube port. I have one that my roommate bought. Personally, I don't like the classic controller, but whatever. It's cheap, but I'm not sure on the quality because I haven't used it much.

But hey, if you want to do it yourself, and if it's cheaper to do so, then more power to ya.
Regular CC, not CC Pro, which I use. I'd rather do it myself, anyways, so I'm certain of the quality.

Ever played a game that uses C-stick to control camera? Of course it's analog. Brawl just doesn't use it for analog control.
Or something like Pokémon Colosseum/XD, where they're like "huh, what do we do with the c-stick? I know! make it control the character in case they don't want to use the control stick or D-pad!".

Update on the project: Got my tri-wing screwdriver, ripped open the GC controller, am working on a circuit diagram.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Update on the project: Got my tri-wing screwdriver, ripped open the GC controller, am working on a circuit diagram.
if you do get that to work you should write a how to guide on how to do it.

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'm thinking about trying out a ps2 controller for brawl. It's very similar to the classic controller pro

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
Yeah I'm thinking about trying out a ps2 controller for brawl. It's very similar to the classic controller pro
Yeah. I'm just worried about lag with any kind of converter. I play Ganon, so I have some really difficult buffers, lots of autocanceling, stuff like flight of Ganon, a chaingrab on D3, etc. that need preferably no lag. I've tried, and more than 1 or 2 frames of lag screws me up completely.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This may be possible, I know it is possible to take a regular Xbox controller cut it and then attach it to a usb wire, and it can be used to play games on emulators and such.
..Xbox controllers have a buyable USB port to them.. in fact Xbox 360 connects with wired controllers via USB

BadKarma

Smash Journeyman
Yeah. I'm just worried about lag with any kind of converter. I play Ganon, so I have some really difficult buffers, lots of autocanceling, stuff like flight of Ganon, a chaingrab on D3, etc. that need preferably no lag. I've tried, and more than 1 or 2 frames of lag screws me up completely.
I bought a converter and should be coming in soon. I hope there's no lag with it I play ics so it will mess up my. Chain grab =\

Silhouette

Smash Lord
I've been dreaming up a mod to basically install a on/off switch for my springs, since I've got one crisp controller that I like, need my springs removed for Brawl, yet still want to use the same controller for Melee.

Shouldn't be too hard.

CiViC

Smash Rookie
Or you could just use a Gamecube controller. This seems like an awful lot of work just to use a classic controller when you could be accustomed to GC controls before you'd be finished with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom