• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Mod Opinions on Replacing C-Stick

Would you be fine if you played against someone who had this?

• Yes

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
I've seen stuff about modding controllers before, and the general consensus is that taking out the springs in controllers and adding notches to the controller are fine and stuff like turbo isn't, but I've been planning a project for a custom controller and I'm not too sure where it lies.

Basically, the idea is that I want to replace the C-Stick with 5 buttons, each of which correspond to a different direction being pushed on the C-stick (5th one is diagonal for neutrals while moving in the air). Personally, I would be fine with someone else using this, and I don't think it's any worse than changing the button configuration in game as it's simply mapping button presses to a direction, and not performing any complicated function or repetition.

What's your opinions on this? Do you think it's ok for me to play with, or should I just consider not having it in case people get annoyed by it?

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
People will always get annoyed by things. Even some notches would likely tick someone off. If it is or not tournament legal I wouldn't know. Some could argue you're just the inputs of an analog to buttons - no macros of button combinations. Others can argue you'll never get input errors like this. I personally would be fine with it. If it isn't for tournament play though go ahead and do what you want. Post some pics or videos later so people can check it out too :3

TheConfuZzledDude

Smash Cadet
NNID
ConfuZzledDude
3DS FC
1246-8704-7777
So according to the poll it seems that most people wouldn't care if I did this, so I'm gonna go ahead and start planning out everything and getting all the parts together :D. I'll definitely post any updates when I get something going. If anyone's interested, I'm gonna make my own third-party controller from scratch :3

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
controller mods have been a thing for ages, and they clearly don't do that much b/c a majority of top players never use them at any point, until you pull shenanigans like macros and stuff you'll be fine

honestly, I'd argue that removing the springs off the analog triggers are far more advantageous 99% of the time compared to adding notches, because you're hitting L/R far more than you're caring about a specific angle in ssb4

yourwifeandkids

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2036-6894-1918
Keep us posted on your progress, confuzzled! I myself have been very seriously considering doing a similar mod, only without the 5th "diagonal" button, since I'm plenty comfortable doing neutral airs with the A button anyway. The only problem is, I have the intelligence of a two year old when it comes to electronics modifications. I'm very sub par at soldering, and I wouldn't know where to start with changing connections and fiddling with potentiometers, or whatever the hell goes into doing a mod like this. But if you can get this sorted out, I'd love if I could follow your process!

Top Bottom