• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller Layouts: Compare and Contrast

Valken

Smash Apprentice
My Layout

L: Shield
R: Grab
Z: Jump
Y: Jump
X: Grab
A: Attack
B: Special
C: Smash
TJ: Off

With Z as jump, my index finger starts to cramp but it allows for much easier SHs and a quicker Airs out of SHs. Also, with Z jump, I can Jump Cancel throws, shines, and smashes out of shields with much ease.

I can use Y to jump if I need a rest, and don't need precision.

I use X to grab, if I'm not shield grabbing.

With R Grab, I can perform Mortar Slides with R as apposed to Z, which is suprisingly easier.

C is smash for the obvious advantage of quicker attacks. Not necessarily smashes.

So what are you're controller schemes?

DivinityZERO

Smash Rookie
My control scheme is the same as default except for Tap Jump and Y for shield.

Tap jump off is heaven since I can do my uber utilts easier without worrying about jumping.

I set Y for shield because I hated how the triggers had to click to work. Y seemed a lot faster and smoother for me and I only use X to jump so Y is a worthless button if it was still set to jump.

BlackenFire

Smash Rookie
Nice topic, finally can see others peoples controller styles. My A Button sticks alot but Im so used to my controller, i switched to using X as attack from a suggestion, and it works pretty well.

Z: Grab
X: Attack [Main Button]

GoldA

Smash Rookie
I don't think I'm going to be able to compare to that many people seeing as how I use the Wiimote-nun chuck style, but any ways
Z: Shield
C: Grab
Up on d-pad: Up-smash
Side on d-pad: Jump
Down on d-pad: Down-smash
TJ: off
Shake smash: off

Sai Winner of Games

Smash Cadet
somewhere between the 10th and 11th dimensions
NNID
SpiralDragon
3DS FC
1822-0827-5656
I can pretty much switch between the GCC and CC without a big difference, but there are a few technical things that make me prefer the CC.

For the GCC, I use standard + Y to shield (for perfect shielding and air dodging sometimes).

For the CC,
L/R: Grab
ZR: Shield
ZL: Jump
X/A: Attack
Y/B: Special Attack
Analog Stick 1: Movement
Analog Stick 2: Smash
TJ: On (I really do not like TJ, but there are techniques that need it on, like up B out of shield)

ZR and ZL are very small buttons that press very quickly, which makes them perfect for shielding and jumping. I rest my right thumb on Analog Stick 2 all the time because it use it for a lot of things. I rest my left pointer finger across X/Y, so my middle finger is used for the trigger buttons. I think this is really useful, because it does not require any fingers to move between buttons, so it should be possible to respond faster. I also do this with the GCC, but its a little different.

Griffard

Smash Ace
everything's normal, except i always have tap jump off. one name i have b-sticking, but i'm going to change it to attack so i can tilt easier and since i've pretty much stopped playing lucas

kamikaen

Smash Rookie
C: Special/Smash
R: Jump
Z: Jump
Y: Grab
TJ: Off/On

I tried to set it up so that if any two (or more) buttons needed to be pressed quickly in succession for a tactic to work, they wouldn't be assigned to the same finger. People play with four fingers on the Gamecube controller. Since I don't have very... dexterous fingers... I can't perform unforgiving tasks, such as autocanceling Ganondorf's Dair, with the standard setup. I need to assign the most used movements to their own finger, and leave attacks that won't need to be performed together (such as Attack and Special; you will never have to Smash-cancel a special, will you? I don't know, it's an example) assigned to the same finger. Jump definitely needs to be assigned to it's own button, so I chose R, and Shield does, as well. I took grab off of Z to ensure that jump had it's own finger, and assigned it to the unoccupied x/y buttons. Z is also jump. It took some getting used to (especially after fiddling with it...), but it's habit, now. I have a hard time SHing with R, but Valken says that using Z to jump makes it easier? I should try using Z > R.

The C-stick is assigned to either Smash or Special, depending on which character I'm currently using. Is wavebouncing really good? I haven't found a lot of use for it, but I guess it might be because I only play bots. Using C for quick smashes and aerials is great. Tap Jump is currently set to off, but I just read Sakurai's update, and apparently, Up Smashing out of shields only works with TJ ON. So that was it. >.> I might try it out, and change it later.

berserker515

Smash Cadet
i use wiimote+chuck but here it goes

A-attack
B-jump
C-special
Dpad-smashes
z-shield
a+b grab
tap jump off

B as jump makes short hopping extremely easy. c as special is a little weird but it hardly use specials. my only problem is that i have to shield grab a lot when i wanna grab. this is what i'm working with till i can find an official gcn controller.

Wolf of Ice

Smash Apprentice
A- Attack
B- Special
A+B- Grab
D-Pad- Smashes
C- Jump
Z- Shield
***1- Grab***
Tap Jump Off
Shake Smash Off

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
My Classic Controller Control Scheme

Tap Jump: OFF

a: Jump
b: Attack
y: Special
x: Shield
ZL: Shield
ZR: Grab
Right Control Stick: Smash
Control Pad /\: Up taunt
Control Pad <>: Side taunt
Control Pad \/: Down taunt

You might think that 3 buttons using a Shield seems funny, but you might accidentally hit the ZL button instead of the L button. Also, to perform sidestep dodges more easily, holding the x button to shield can be handy (makes it less irritating for your left hand).

When doing grabs, pressing the R button to grab may be easier than always pressing the ZR button. Plus, it helps when throwing away items too.

This control scheme is pretty simple, and can be pretty good for the Classic Controller users.

Wolf of Ice

Smash Apprentice
Ugh... Weird glitchy double post.

I guess I'll say that I hope beserker saw the 1 Grab... It should help..
Also, I'll say I like the B/C switch.. I'll have to try it :p

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
L: grab
R: shield
Z: grab - i want to change this one
X: specials - shda ftw!

ThaDirtyG

Smash Apprentice
R: Shield
Z: Special

I main fox and I found it a lot easier to do a Jump Shine if I made Z special. I play with my index finder on Z and my middle finger on R so I am ready to press either at any instant.

Ørion

Smash Ace
R: Jump
Y: Grab
Z: Grab
C: Special

I've tried a couple of control schemes and like this the best. I don't actually use the X or Y buttons. It's a gamecube controller if you couldnt tell...

Valken

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised no one else uses Z for jump. Has no one else tried it, or is it just to uncomfortable for most?

Top Bottom