• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Controller grips data base

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
Controller grips data base.

For novices or for pure knowledge, I hope this helps you.

However, this is far from finished, if you want to add something or modify anything, just talk it up! Everything is open to debate/change. Contribute to make this huge!

The following compendium offers a review of the notable advantages and disadvantages of each of the different types of grips enlisted.

The enlisted types of grip are the most general, and notorious, though each player can mix up as he wishes any type of grip depending on the character or even at the time of the very match.

First off is needed to differentiate the three main classes: common grip, claw grip, keyboard grip.
Common grip: thumbs for pressing face’s controller inputs.
Claw grip: at least one of the index fingers being used to press one of the face’s controller inputs
Keyboard grip: at least three fingers from right hand pressing the face’s controller inputs.

As starting point I’d like to cite this:

1. Standard Claw – index on Y, middle on R/Z, thumb on A/B/C

2. Modified Claw – index on Y, ring on R, middle on Z, thumb on A/B/C

3. Left-handed Claw – index plus thumb on control stick, middle on L, right hand normal

4. Double Claw – combination of 1 and 2/3

5. Keyboard Style – played by Javi, it’s weird

6. Semiclaw – Switch from standard grip to 1 for certain situations
(Shaid Hulud, 2012)

This offers a raw but illuminating basis to work on.

(Bold type highlights the difference between common grip and “x” grip)

1. Common grip – left hand: thumb for Control Stick, middle or index for L.
right hand: thumb for A/B/C-Stick/Y or X, index for Z, middle for R.

A) Common grip with palm (Palmed grip)- left hand: thumb for Control Stick, middle or index for L.
right hand: thumb for A/B/C-Stick/Y or X, index for Z, middle for R, palm for C-Stick.

2. Standard Claw - left hand: thumb for Control Stick, middle or index for L.
right hand: thumb for A/B/C-Stick/ Y or X, index for Z/Y or X, middl
e for R.

A) Modified Standard Claw -left hand: thumb for Control Stick, middle or index for L.
right hand: thumb for A/B/C-Stick/ Y or X, index for Y/X, middle for Z, ring for R.

B) Left-handed claw (Colbol Claw)– left hand: thumb and index for Control Stick, middle or ring for L.
right hand: thumb for A/B/C-Stick/ Y or X, index for Z, middle for R.

C) Right and left claw (Double Claw) – left hand: thumb and index for Control Stick, middle or ring for L.
right hand: thumb for A/B/C-Stick/ Y or X, index for Z/Y or X, middle for R.

3. Standard keyboard grip – left hand: thumb for Control Stick
, middle or index for L.
right hand: middle for X/Y, thumb C-Stick, Index for A/B/C-Stick, index or middle Z/R.

A) Keyboard grip extra finger (Ringed Keyboard) - left hand: thumb for Control Stick, middle or index for L.
right hand: middle for A, ring for X, thumb C-Stick, Index for B/C-Stick, index or middle for R, X or Y with thumb or index.

B) Left clawed keyboard grip – left hand: thumb and index for Control Stick, middle or ring for L.
right hand: middle for X or Y, thumb C-Stick, Index for A/B/C-Stick, index or middle Z/R.
C) Left clawed extra finger keyboard grip - left hand: thumb and index for Control Stick, middle or ring for L.
right hand: middle for A, ring for X, thumb C-Stick, Index for B/C-Stick, index or middle for R/Z/X or Y with thumb or index.

(Might add more)

Notable pros and cons.

1. Common grip.
Pros: Easy to learn, comfortable grip relying only on hands’ support.
Cons: If not jumping with the Control Stick, delay of aerial on full hop rising aerial, and big delay on second jump instant aerial (clearly seen in Captain Falcon’s up-air).
Risk of ruin full-hop while instant rising aerial.

Character Specific advantages/disadvantages:
Fox: the only way to multi-shine is super hard but still possible.
Falco: Double shine is not that hard to master, but when it comes to do more than two shines, the same disadvantage as above.

1:A. Common grip with palm (Palmed grip) advantages: allows you to keep the maximum forward momentum while in the air with an instant b-air after jumping.

Fox: the only way to multi-shine is super hard but still possible, and very risky to ruin it by
pressing A.
Falco: Double shine is not that hard to master, but when it comes to do more than two shines, the same disadvantage as above.

2. Standard Claw advantages: allows you to keep the maximum forward momentum while in the air with an instant b-air after jumping, against a Modified Standard Claw it can offer in some occasions more support than modified Standard Claw.

Disadvantages: index finger stress because of pressing Y and Z.

Fox: the only way to multi-shine is super hard but still possible, and very risky to ruin it by pressing A.

2:A ) Modified Standard Claw advantages:

(On progress, here I need tons of help)

Notable players who use “x” grip.

Common grip: Hungrybox, Dr. PeePee.

Common grip with occasional claw: Mew2King, Mang0.

Left handed claw: Colbol.

Standard Keyboard grip: Javi.

(Need tons of help with this, hopefully this section will gather tons of names)

Kadano

Magical Express
I use 1A – Palmed grip, but I use my right index for both R and Z. If I would place my middle finger on R, my palm would be too low to still reach the C-stick (in my case, I replaced it with a control stick knob for easier gripping) unless I held it really uncomfortably.

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
I use 1A – Palmed grip, but I use my right index for both R and Z. If I would place my middle finger on R, my palm would be too low to still reach the C-stick (in my case, I replaced it with a control stick knob for easier gripping) unless I held it really uncomfortably.
Yeah, many people use only index for Z and R.

Last edited:
Top Bottom