• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Consult Your Navigator - Mega Man Q&A Thread

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
What I noticed (at least with the people I played) is when I expect them to air dodge after dthrow, I stay on the ground so I can get them with another grab, but instead they jump away and its too late to land an upair (or at least hard to connect it). I tried short hopping after dthrow too psych them out, but they usually just jump away anyway. I've seen dthrow>fair >upair work, but the timing is tight and I'm not even sure the upair would hit if they dodged the fair.

I'll keep the second thing you said in mind though!
Ah yes, eventually people learn to jump away. I usually start by throwing a metal blade in their direction, sometimes Uair mostly to make them think they are in danger in the air. It's mostly to psyche them out cause I'm really waiting for them to approach the ground. Keep some distance, as some people like to attack as they land. I try to hit them just before they land, usually with a metal blade. Which can lead to another grab.

Also, if I notice them catching on to the dthrow, I'll start mixing it up with side throws. Sometimes they feel less in danger and don't jump out of it, making it a little easier to follow up. Oh and sometimes a quick dthrow can catch them off guard and they dont jump in time.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Just unlocked Danger Wrap (FINALLY! Now I just want the Shadow Blade). Been hearing a ton of great things about it, but how exactly do you properly use it? Besides as an Anti-Air, I have difficulty landing it.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Just unlocked Danger Wrap (FINALLY! Now I just want the Shadow Blade). Been hearing a ton of great things about it, but how exactly do you properly use it? Besides as an Anti-Air, I have difficulty landing it.
You can just throw them out in neutral when you expect your opponent is going to approach, particularly if they are going to approach by air. DW forces them to double jump or air dodge to avoid eating the hit, and both of these options can be punished. Even if they attempt a dash attack or dash grab, a well timed DW will still hit them or clank the hit. It's just an excellent all-around defensive option in neutral.

You can also throw them out while landing on the stage. It's like a smash attack that you can begin using as you land. I often catch greedy people who attempt to punish my UpB landings because they forget I can send one of these out to meet them.

Another thing you can do is send them out as an edgeguard. If they recover high this can be a great way to force a punishable reaction, as they are more limited in the ways they can avoid it.

Yet another thing you can do is hit people through platforms or the stage. It's great fun to shark people with DW on stages like Halberd. Even on other stages, you can still hit people who stand too close to the ledge with a well placed DW, as it explodes when it collides with the stage.

Danger Wrap is awesome.

Seba!

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seba!
Is there any point in down throwing the item form metal blade over z-dropping it? Other than a what seems to be a faster travel time, z-dropping gives you more options and is all around better.

Also, downthrow/z-drop metal blade -> aerial seems like a good mixup for 12/18/19 damage.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I'm not positive on this but I thought z-dropping was better because the blade moves slower so it can get more hits on the opponent as it passes through them so more percent.

Seba!

Smash Rookie
NNID
Seba!
It does the same % on a ground target but not sure about air targets. I use both in attempts to get them to mess up their airdodge but downthrow is easier for me to hit

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
megaman has a huge goddamn mountain of tech to climb...where do i start
Learn the timing for angling Metal Blade. Get to the point where you can toss it in all 8 directions, consistently, on command.
(Optional: master the two different timings for b-reversing and tossing it over you shoulder.)

Learn how to to zgrab a Metal Blade that's stuck in the ground while jumping. Same for grabbing a grounded MB while fairing/nairing/bairing.

Do drills to learn every conceivable combination of short hop lemons:
-fire lemon 1 from the ground, then short hop while firing 2 and 3
-fire lemon 1 and 2 from the ground, then short hop while firing 3
-fire all three lemons from the ground, then short hop during the end lag
-short hop, fire lemons 1 and 2 from the air, short hop again while firing the third
-now do all these combinations while moving backwards and forwards, and changing directions

Learn how to release a uair just before hitting the ground. Learn how to fastfall autocancel uair from both short hop and full hop heights.

Those are probably the most important technical things to get down; they are the bread and butter techs that I use in every game I play. There are plenty of other techs to step up your game but I'd say these are the most important.

Last edited:

CanadianCourage

Smash Cadet
How do you start using mega man, I'm trying to make him a good secondary? I'm learning his techs but what is his play style?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I would say he is more of a defensive, sit back and chip away your opponent then allow the enemy in for a kill move type player.

Very technical, and must be disciplined to use him effectively.

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Indeed! If you enjoy playing as Mega Man, don't let his learning difficulty deter you! Keep practicing until he feels comfortable.

Once you are comfortable with him, I promise you, playing him feels amazing. :D

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
I prefer to play Mega Man as offensive. Using a sea of projectiles to overwhelm and interrupt my opponent.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Mega Man's general play style is "Play for damage, then occasionally accidentally kill them"

Mega Man is really safe when he's just putting down percentages here and there, whether you're being a defensive brickwall or a balls-out aggro destroyer, you will get punished for your kill moves. Pretty much just keep needling them until they commit to something that you can punish or you get them so high up you can kill em with a fair.

Also, Mega Man's got great off-stage chase game. Get after them, angle some blades to make their approach more predictable, and maybe you'll get a spike or a bair or a fair gimp.

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
So considering we are discussing Link in the Zero's advice thread, should we go give the Link boards a shout out for them to join in?

If we do, we should go to their Q&A thread to ask, i think they are strict with their threads there, for organization and stuff.

Last edited:

ENKER

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamanx1367
3DS FC
5344-0965-9612
Be careful, some people there are absolute jerks. I've seen some horrible posts by Link mains wrecking other Link players. It's depressing, actually.

Last edited:

Sorichuudo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1977-1410-9227
Be careful, some people there are absolute jerks. I've seen some horrible posts by Link mains wrecking other Link players. It's depressing, actually.
Well, as long as i don't make a new thread and use the general Q&A thread i should be fine.

... I hope.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just ignore and report their posts.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Oh, thanks. Sorry. I was going to do that and got sidetracked. ^_^; came down with a fever couple days ago. Good news is that I stay home wrapped in a blanket playing smash when I'm not sleeping it off.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
can you use shadow blade if it gets pocketed/absorbed by rosalina? is it an item?

Sombreblanco

Smash Rookie
What can I do about people just mashing through lemons? I do play on-line a lot, so I'm unsure if it's caused by input lag, but often times I will nail someone with lemons while they are in range of their A and as soon as my lemons finish, I'm being nailed before I can even shield. Any advice?

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
What can I do about people just mashing through lemons? I do play on-line a lot, so I'm unsure if it's caused by input lag, but often times I will nail someone with lemons while they are in range of their A and as soon as my lemons finish, I'm being nailed before I can even shield. Any advice?
You can cancel a jab or ftilt into a nair at any time, and you can SH air dodge well before you're able to shield if you stayed on the ground. Your course of action when launching a pellet salvo should be:

Lemon->Lemon->Short hop->Lemon, or Lemon->Lemon->Lemon->Short Hop

First one is safer, but will whiff the third shot on short characters unless your timing is really tight. Second one is less safe (They'll be able to act sooner) but a guaranteed three-hit. Try to practice the jab-jab-jump-nair combo, it's tough to pull off, especially during lag, but if you can get it to be second nature, you should be able to expand it by doing moving shorthops, neutraling the stick really fast, firing the last shot, then going back to movement. This means you'll be able to jab-jab-jump backwards-nair, which is virtually unpunishable.

Sombreblanco

Smash Rookie
I was thinking of trying that as well next time I sit down to play so it helps that you also think that will help. Thank you.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Does Air Shooter always have a bare minimum of hitstun for the entirety of the move? It seems like repeated use of it allows the victim to jump out early; I figure the culprit is that stale moves makes the 1% hits deal so little damage that people can jump out toward the last third of it...or am I imagining that? Is there another explanation?

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
If you hit somebody spot on with it you're more or less garunteed the whole move will carry them upwards with no chance for escape, but the push does seem to deteriorate with staleness. People can jump out of the last part even while it's fresh, but the push will get amplified immensely in that case.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Okay, cool. That's really good to hear. I was finding some Doubles magic yesterday (Jigglypuff can jump in on reaction to an enemy getting caught by Air Shooter and mash Rest at the end) and wanted to know how reliable it was. That's very promising. :D

Sombreblanco

Smash Rookie
Who would be a good secondary to Mega Man? I do have Ness in my avatar and love him, but a lot of times if I'm having trouble as Mega Man, I still have trouble as Ness.

It's most likely my own shortcomings as being new to Smash, I lack some of the fundamentals. Mega Man and Ness are both abnormal characters so I was wondering if their might be someone who fills the weaknesses of Mega Man that is also fundamentally sound that would allow me to learn the finer points of the game without being too character specific.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
If you're looking for a strong secondary that complements Mega Man's weaknesses as well as being a strong fundamental-focused character...

:4diddy:

Diddy's pretty much pure fundamentals, and his favorable matchups are some of Mega Man's worst matchups. It's always good to have a pocket top tier for times when **** gets serious, and Diddy's really easy to learn while still being stupid strong.

Blade Knight

Smash Ace
Personally I enjoy secondarying :4wario2: and :4metaknight: alongside Mega Man, though a lot of people feel they have trouble killing as well. I think that Mario, Captain Falcon, and Zero Suit Samus could make decent secondaries for you since they all get far by having good fundamentals.

Last edited:

Mike_Tha_Hero

Smash Cadet
NNID
mikexxieaf
If you're looking for a strong secondary that complements Mega Man's weaknesses as well as being a strong fundamental-focused character...

:4diddy:

Diddy's pretty much pure fundamentals, and his favorable matchups are some of Mega Man's worst matchups. It's always good to have a pocket top tier for times when **** gets serious, and Diddy's really easy to learn while still being stupid strong.
Well, MM isn't my main yet, but I do use him as a secondary to Mario. Since MM benefits from a knowledge of reads/punishes I feel that translates over to characters with less-than-obvious kill moves, like Mario.

Sombreblanco

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the replys and the advice...I do already mess around as Diddy and honestly Zero Suit has been intriguing me so I think I will give those two a shot and see which one fits best.

Con0rrrr

PPMD Kreygasm
NNID
Con0rrrr
3DS FC
4656-6340-0779
Sup guys! Haven't been the biggest fan of Smash 4 competitively. But after I realized that I can beat annoying campy players with any character I put time in, I decided to pick up none other than my favorite game character ever! (After Protoman)

Can I get a quick run down of basic ATs? Some of this stuff may not just be Mega Man specific, such as Glide Tossing.

I've heard about canceling nairs lag, and I'm very interested in that, as I love using lemons. But I have no clue how to do it.

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Sup guys! Haven't been the biggest fan of Smash 4 competitively. But after I realized that I can beat annoying campy players with any character I put time in, I decided to pick up none other than my favorite game character ever! (After Protoman)

Can I get a quick run down of basic ATs? Some of this stuff may not just be Mega Man specific, such as Glide Tossing.

I've heard about canceling nairs lag, and I'm very interested in that, as I love using lemons. But I have no clue how to do it.
You can't really cancel nair's lag. What you CAN do is walk and jump, so at least you maintain the ability to move around while you wait out the end lag. Nair has 0 frames of landing lag, too, which is pretty cool and makes it one of the more interesting (and maybe dangerous) autocancels in the game. This is true even when you use it after UpB.

Other than that there's too many techs to list, especially if you want to learn stuff like glide tossing. We really need to update the AT guide one of these days.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
how does megaman punish roll camping, especially in for glory? i'm so salty at the last few FG matches ive had..-_-

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
how does megaman punish roll camping, especially in for glory? i'm so salty at the last few FG matches ive had..-_-
Man, I hear you. Roll spammers and campers make me really miss Tornado Hold, as it's such a solid punish.

Generally I use lemons and metal blades to just pepper the area if they roll toward me. Short hopped uair can be handy too. At kill percents, I go for usmash and dsmash hard reads. When they roll away from me, I generally use Crash Bomber or dash attack to punish.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
Man, I hear you. Roll spammers and campers make me really miss Tornado Hold, as it's such a solid punish.

Generally I use lemons and metal blades to just pepper the area if they roll toward me. Short hopped uair can be handy too. At kill percents, I go for usmash and dsmash hard reads. When they roll away from me, I generally use Crash Bomber or dash attack to punish.
what if they use roll as a movement option,like they roll to the opposite ledge to camp you with projectiles, and as soon as you approach, they jab you and make you either shield or go into hit stun, then roll to the opposite ledge.......

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Approach with your own projectiles (unless it's someone who can trump Mega Man's stuff). Smash attack of choice their roll spam. Anyone acting predictably should be easy to punish.

D

Deleted member 269706

I'm sure that this has already been answered somewhere, but who are some of MegaMan's worst match-ups, meaning the ones that he struggles the most against? What characters should I look out for when playing 1v1?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I think wario is really one of the toughest. Also the quicker characters zzs, falcon, sonic, tend to be able to evade our projectiles and punish us.

p1ay6ack

Smash Journeyman
I think wario is really one of the toughest. Also the quicker characters zzs, falcon, sonic, tend to be able to evade our projectiles and punish us.
i noticed that with fast charachters that the beginning of the match sets up the momentum of the match. always be wary for dash attacks with these charachters, because they can combo you very good at early percentages. i fought with nairo in a viewer battle. he used zss. i got bodied x_x but it was cuz i let him have the momentum

Top Bottom