• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Considering Making a Tourney in West MI

Would you like more tournies in W MI?

• Yes

Votes: 10 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Howdy. I am currently living in the lovely town of Grand Haven and I have run into a terrible problem. There are no tournies near me without having to drive 2+ hours to get to them. To solve this problem I have considered hosting a tournie at a shop in Grand Haven ,or the better option, Grand Rapids. The problem is is that I own one Wii U and one Wii and I would love to host all the Smash games. So if this community would help me out that would be great.

--The Bard

GrandRapidsLee

Smash Rookie
Hey man,

I've been trying to get the GR scene moving again. I've been asking around town for a venue. I'm new to the community so i'm not sure what the proper game plan is. Either way, I'm in holland and am dying for some west MI smash.

Thank God there's another living being in West MI. Are there any card shops or small game stores in Holland or GR that you know of? I might be able to convince my local Gamestop to host but I don't think that is going to happen due to how small the store is.

But this is what I was thinking:
Double elimination
2 Stock 8 mins
BF. Duck Hunt FD Dreamland Lylat and any other Omega stages are legal.
Gentleman's rule applies

So what do you think? And keep asking around, I'm sure you're bound to find something

GrandRapidsLee

Smash Rookie
Well.. I believe we've hit a speed bump early on. I'm a melee guy. I defiantly into the idea of getting my hands on Smash 4 though. However, we could use this to our advantage. Doing a tournament, weekly or biweekly with both smash 4 and melee has potential to bring in a bigger crowd. I'm going to do some digging. See what kind of community outreach you can do. I'll post an update soon

Oops my last post was on my phone so I was unable to see that. I think for the early days bimonthly just to gain a following then we'll move up to weeklies but that's just an idea. It might have to be a big venue which will cost more which in turn will cause the entry fee to rise thus driving some people away. Maybe we could do (for example) 1300-1600 Sm4sh Eliminations 1630-2030 Melee eliminations then 2100-2200 Finals for both games.

MegaFatcat100

Smash Cadet
Hey, I'm in the Zeeland/Holland area and play smash 4, that would be awesome to have tournaments that aren't on the other side of the state, especially weeklies if it gets popular. I have a group of friends who are desperately looking for local tournaments in the area ;) Though grand haven is still a bit far for regular attendance for me right now. We have a facebook group, btw!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/westmichigansmash4/?fref=nf

KarkemX

Smash Rookie
Hey man,

I've been trying to get the GR scene moving again. I've been asking around town for a venue. I'm new to the community so i'm not sure what the proper game plan is. Either way, I'm in holland and am dying for some west MI smash.
There's a place by 44th and division called Alpha Players that has a decently sized area that's been used to host before.

Sorry due to a family vacation I have not been able to keep up.

Anyway KarkemX KarkemX I may have found a place in Grand Haven that the owners said they would be willing to host but we would need to talk through the details. And for the place you refered what was the average cost to rent out?

MegaFatcat100

Smash Cadet
The monthy I was talking about is at the Boys and Girls Club in Holland, i believe its at the 23rd. however, i may have to miss it due to recent events :( (I'm not hosting it, btw)

KarkemX

Smash Rookie
Sorry due to a family vacation I have not been able to keep up.

Anyway KarkemX KarkemX I may have found a place in Grand Haven that the owners said they would be willing to host but we would need to talk through the details. And for the place you refered what was the average cost to rent out?
I wasn't running the tournaments that were hosted there so I don't know how much renting costs. I'll link you to their Facebook page as they don't appear to have a website.
https://www.facebook.com/Alpha-Players-152923167917/

PoisonouSoap

Smash Rookie
NNID
PoisonouSoap
Hey everyone! There is a weekly Smash 4 tournament hosted by Riptide Gaming every Thursday on the corner of 44th and Division called Alpha Players. That is generally where most of the top players in the area go to play every week. I'm personally from Holland and I go there around every other week and am considered a pretty good player over here due to the HUGE amounts of practice that I get from playing with all the good players there. If you want to connect with the West Michigan community as a whole you can follow the Facebook page that almost every player in West Michigan is a part of:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/westmichigansmash4/
We have very strong players in West Michigan and I guarantee everyone would love to see a new face show up every Thursday for their event.

PoisonouSoap

Smash Rookie
NNID
PoisonouSoap
I also host my own monthly tournament with my crew in Holland called City Trial, which usually has slightly less attendance but has a lot of good players nonetheless. I hope you all end up seeing this thread soon so you can practice and improve with all of us!

PoisonouSoap PoisonouSoap I was there. I was the kid called "Henry" , mains Bowser, and I placed last (no surprise there). I'd love to get a place going with weeklies. Also we have a Brawl "Tourney" at my local library on the 8th of October. Not sure how many people will be participating so maybe some of the CT guys will show up.

PoisonouSoap

Smash Rookie
NNID
PoisonouSoap
TheBeggingBard ~~JoMo~~ TheBeggingBard ~~JoMo~~ Oh! I'm sorry I didn't even say hi. I was busy with all the TO work and trying to not lose lol. I was the guy wearing the black Hawaiian shirt and the "Nintendo" Diddy Kong hat, the blue Diddy main. It would be awesome to see you come to the Thursday GR weeklies and the next City Trial! Hope to see you more active in the community

KarkemX

Smash Rookie
I believe Sep. 10th Melee tournaments are making a comeback in Grand Rapids at Alpha Players. I think they're called NatuFests? I was looking to go to that but I'm taking the ACT that day.
I didn't know they were coming back, that's good to hear! They're called Rootfests btw

PoisonouSoap

Smash Rookie
NNID
PoisonouSoap
PoisonouSoap PoisonouSoap 2 quick questions...
1) Would you recommend a mediocre smasher to go to the weekly at Alphaplayers?
and
2) Is there a set date for the next City Trail?
There's never a bad time to come to any tournament :) they're there so everyone can get better. Trust me, I was terrible when I started, but I've gotten much better as a result of going to weeklies and monthlies. Also, City Trial is going under some scheduling issues due to the fact that Riptide decided to have Calder Clash on the same day we've had our tournament scheduled, so not yet. But you should really make your way over to Calder in Grand Rapids on August 27! (Also at Alpha Players). Some of the best players in West MI show up to those and they're usually pretty big

RIP|Merrick

Absolute Trash
NNID
Merricktherox
3DS FC
4339-2630-2726
If you have any questions about the West MI scene and wish to find tournament scenes near you, feel free to shoot me up with messages over anything!

Top Bottom