• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confused about how to perform OoS options

JoeTango

It Takes Two
I main Sheik and a lot of people say she has great out of shield moves, but for some reason whenever I try to do one (ex. downsmash OoS) I usually will accidentally spot dodge or roll or something like that. When I try to just let go of shield and wait to be able to perform an attack without spot dodging, it usually takes too long and I get hit.

I can wavedash comfortably and consistently, I can L cancel 9/10 of my aerials, but for the love of god I can't do anything but grab or roll out of shield which seems like a basic and simple thing to do. Any tricks to performing attacks quicker or is there a step I am missing completely? Thanks for reading

FriendGuy

Smash Cadet
can you even downsmash out of shield?

OoS generally means jumping and doing an aerial, up-smash, or up-b (good only for certain characters, not shiek). you can also wavedash OoS, or roll/dodge, like you said. you can't just do anything out of your shield.

Last edited:

Xyzz

Smash Champion
You cannot dsmash out of shield.

The options available to you are:
- grab
- roll
- spotdodge
- jump and therefore all the things that jumpsquat can be be cancelled with: wavedash, up smash, up b and obviously just letting the jump happen and quickly doing an aerial or whatever (the whatever tends to be a shine, but technically other b-moves can be used too) afterwards.
- unshield by just letting go of shield (that animation can be cancelled with jump, but nothing else afaik)

For some things you need to be careful about precise execution. E.g. when wavedashing crouching for a frame usually isn't a total disaster, hitting down before starting the jump will make you spotdodge while in shield.
For upsmash it's a good idea to use the control stick for the jump and up on the c-stick to cancel that (at least that's the easiest way to execute it for most people)

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
On the topic of OoS options, there is a cool way to practice them. You can enter training mode and throw down a red shell. You shield it's hit and then you perform an OoS option. Rinse and repeat. Once I read someone post that I was able to nail that kind of stuff with much better accuracy after a day.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
I had no idea I had to jump. I guess I could try jumping then wavedashing in place and c stick down to do a downsmash OoS, for some reason that seems like it would be really good to me. Thanks a bunch for the replies!

Fliperotchy

Smash Journeyman
I had no idea I had to jump. I guess I could try jumping then wavedashing in place and c stick down to do a downsmash OoS, for some reason that seems like it would be really good to me. Thanks a bunch for the replies!
Just to be clear, down smash doesn't work OoS. Only up smash, and with Sheik it's super situational. You're better off practicing WD oos or Nair oos

FriendGuy

Smash Cadet
he's saying he'll try practicing wavedash in place OoS > dsmash.

I'm not sure how well it would work in battle, i don't think i've ever seen it

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I'm not a Shiek main, but I am pretty sure N-air Oos would be a better idea.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I don't main sheik but even i know that down smash is risky. It lasts for so long and can easily be punished if you miss or hit a shield.

JoeTango

It Takes Two
Well I guess I won't be trying downsmash, idk I just thought it would be good because it can hit twice. I'll work on nair then

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Nair has similar effect but is a lot faster (Wd down - dsmash can only be done vs fairly laggy things). It's actually faster than grabbing them if your execution is great.
Maybe vs enemies at low percents vs laggy things it might have its uses, but I'd probably still wouldn't like to risk it.

Super

Smash Apprentice
You are better off just spotdodge downsmashing than trying to WD in place downsmash lol.

Top Bottom