• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed Character Discussion (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

moledork

Smash Cadet
newest comfirmed character and one of the coolest at that ike makes his appearance as the first international fire emblem character in smash bros :chuckle:

The rAt

Smash Ace
In a constant state of self-examination. In MN.
Well, score one for perserverance folks! Say hello to Ike. Looks like he's an unlockable, though, given the "Challenger Approaching!" preface. Still, this was actually worth waiting for. You live another day, Sakurai.

EDIT: I'm going to laugh at each and every one of you who crapped out at the last second.

Shritistrang

Smash Journeyman
Germany, at the shores of lovely Lake Constance
Wow, exciting, folks! Although I never played Ike's game, he looks like he's a formidable fighter in SSBB. I wonder if he gets similar moves to Marth and Roy or some new ones on his own...

That was a smart move, Sakurai! Making us sweat and fear that today's update might not just be delayed, but also a crappy one... and then laying this bomb on us! Excellent!

I think we can now also very well assume that we castle we've seen in the movies was Ike's level.

I wonder when we get to see his Final Smash...

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
Wow, exciting, folks! Although I never played Ike's game, he looks like he's a formidable fighter in SSBB. I wonder if he gets similar moves to Marth and Roy or some new ones on his own...

That was a smart move, Sakurai! Making us sweat and fear that today's update might not just be delayed, but also a crappy one... and then laying this bomb on us! Excellent!

I think we can now also very well assume that we castle we've seen in the movies was Ike's level.

We better see Zelda's FS before his, or I'll *** a duck.

Ike is cool, and later today all we'll see is "I told ya so!", but oh well. I'll main this dude.

Ike & Zelda FTW!

I'm gonna need a new sig...

twilight_hero

Smash Lord
in ur Wii, savin' hyrule from t3h twilight... By t

We don't get to see his FS until after we see Link's Special Moves! And it's true. All we'll get is "I told you so" and "Hah! I was right!" and other exclamations of glory. Now, I'm off to bed. G'night, all...

Fawriel

Smash Master
All I can say is HOLY **** and I'm scared of the n00b parade that is to follow.

But ****! This was... unexpected!

...hah!

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
The rAt said:
EDIT: I'm going to laugh at each and every one of you who crapped out at the last second.
Which is basically Dyce.

...Alright, so I wasn't present at the exact moment of Ike's emergence...but I was within the hour!

Shritistrang said:
Score one for the anti-Marth crowd.

Shiristrang said:
I think we already know what it is.

Masahiro Sakurai said:
He brings his special move "Aether" with him as he crashes the Brawl party. Try for a single-stroke finishing blow with his mighty blade!
So yeah, it's probably Aether, which, if you haven't played Path of Radiance, consists of a big upwards slash, then a downwards follow-up.

From the wording, it could also be the same special move Marth and Roy have as their neutral B...but somehow I don't think so, since it's the only move mentioned in the update.

EDIT - After looking more closely at Ike's screenies...I'm a bit worried. The moves he shows off look a bit like a certain other blue-haired Smash veterans...

Looks a bit like Marth's Dancing Blade (Side+B), with the control stick tilted downward...

Resembles Marth's Utilt, dunnit?

Sort of, maybe kind of reminds me of Marth's Nair. Just a bit.

Is this just me overanalyzing these pictures, or am I on to something here?

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
Oooo.. Ike looks cool, hopefully he doesn't have the super broken powers of Marth, and has a move set and fighting style of his own.

Jopaan

Smash Journeyman
You know, I actually thought that Ike was an Assist Trophy until I scrolled down, and I still had some trouble believing that Sakurai would actually unveil a new Newcomer.

Ryu-for- Brawl

Smash Cadet
does anyone here play fire emblem? how are ike´s moves different from marth/roy ? does anyone else think marth / might not be in brawl and got subbed by ike?

roy_owns

Smash Lord
His just adds another mark to Roy's grave. But don't get me wrong I like Ike, I just which he didn't threaten Roy's chance. IMO he probably did that cause it's the first of the month.

PSIguy89

Smash Ace
NNID
PSIguy89
3DS FC
3222-5969-7044
i'm hoping that Marth stays in, because if you notice the fire emblem icon is still marth's falchion so i'm guessing he'll stay in

Mr. Emcee

Smash Cadet
Of course Ike's moves look like Marth's, he is a replacement. Marth and Roy aren't special, they just happen to be the Fire Emblem characters used in Melee. They could just as easily been Erika and Ephraim from Sacred Stones. Good observation on the images though.

And he will not be a secret character. When Melee was still in development they announced a number of new characters entering the fray, but only those availible from the beginning. Mewtwo, G&W, Marth etc. were all completely secret until the game actually hit shelves.

Fawriel

Smash Master
No, no, no, I don't think Ike replaces Marth. Ike seems to have a tipper ( the sword is made for it ) and he moves similarly, but for one, Ike must be a lot slower, being more of a muscle-head with iron on his boots and wielding a double-handed sword with one hand...

Also, I may be completely wrong with this, but I recall reading that Marth is actually a fencer.
I could well imagine them giving him a different, speedy moveset with less power while retaining stuff like his fair combos, to differentiate the two characters.

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJRwP1zaKl4
Here be some proof.
He uses rapiers and the attacking motion in-game seems more stabby than slashy to me. So, yeah.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
Daaaaaaaaaaamn. Sakurai really hit me unexpectedly with that one! Ike? REALLY? Not to say that I didn't expect to see him--that was an easy prediction--I just didn't expect it so soon! His character design looks gorgeous, though. Fingers crossed that he's not a Marth clone. Kudos, Sakurai, for surprising us all with your timing!

(Now how about another shock next week: Toad! =) Or at least Peach, if you're going back to veterans).

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
Wow a newcomer really surprised me, didnt expect one so soon.But Ike looks sort of like a cooler Marth, but most likely alot slower

Kojy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kojyneox
Wow, Ike Really caught me by surprise, i tought Sakurai will no unveil a new character until, i dunno, September or something.

My fingers Are Crossed For Sigurd in this game

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Of course Ike's moves look like Marth's, he is a replacement. Marth and Roy aren't special, they just happen to be the Fire Emblem characters used in Melee. They could just as easily been Erika and Ephraim from Sacred Stones. Good observation on the images though.

And he will not be a secret character. When Melee was still in development they announced a number of new characters entering the fray, but only those availible from the beginning. Mewtwo, G&W, Marth etc. were all completely secret until the game actually hit shelves.
Actually, Ike's moveset resembles Roy's a lot more than it does Marths: He seems to be more powerful, and wields flaming attacks of death and destruction. Perhaps that implies he's slower as well. Aside from that, while Roy was just the FE Lord at the time, Marth was the Lord in the first game and the second, which makes him the classic representative of the FE series.

SuperAce

Smash Journeyman
No, no, no, I don't think Ike replaces Marth. Ike seems to have a tipper ( the sword is made for it ) and he moves similarly, but for one, Ike must be a lot slower, being more of a muscle-head with iron on his boots and wielding a double-handed sword with one hand...

Also, I may be completely wrong with this, but I recall reading that Marth is actually a fencer.
I could well imagine them giving him a different, speedy moveset with less power while retaining stuff like his fair combos, to differentiate the two characters.

EDIT: http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJRwP1zaKl4
Here be some proof.
He uses rapiers and the attacking motion in-game seems more stabby than slashy to me. So, yeah.
Oddly that's true. Considering that Roy's father has Raiper, you'd think he was a fencer.
Ike's probably going to be a final part to the FE trinity. Roy's a power fighter, Marth's about speed, and surprisingly Ike's incredibly acrobatic. So he might actually be a high jumper, like Luigi and Falco with a balance between speed and power.
I just wonder, when WILL Ike appear? Is he a starter? Or a secret. Ane if he's secret, will Marth or Roy take the starter spot? 40 characters is a lot, so Sakurai could end up having a starting line-up of twenty. Plenty of room for newcomers and series vets alike.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Does anyone think this helps or hurts Marth's chances? Also,will he be a starter or unlockable?

Vestipher

Smash Rookie
I wonder who'll become the Luigi of the three FE character (if the all stay in). God I hope it'll be Marth.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Some town in New Jersey Mains: Link, Falco, Ganond
THIS IS WHAT I'M FVCKING TALKIN' ABOUT BABY!!!
I KNEW THERE HAD TO BE A REDICULOUS REASON SAKURAI DIDN'T UPDATE FOR OVER TWO HOURS!!!
Where's Twilight Hero at? I wanna jump for joy with him.

Funny thing is, I was telling someone yesterday to guarantee Ike being a part of Brawl.
God I'm ecstatic right now!

yaung27

Smash Apprentice
In the winners circle Mains: JigglyPuff, Gannondo
That was quite a suprise upon my part also, I suspected Sakurai to just have another boring update like pit fall, or another stage, this quite surprised me, maybe he will update some other carcters like Meta Knight or Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!!!!!!!!! yeah, or him....

icelordhitsugaya

Smash Rookie
I only wish that he looked more like he does when he's a Lord class.
Oh and if they are having Ike use Ragnell, he's probably going to be the first Fire Emblem Smash character with a ranged attack because you can attack indirectly using Ragell if anyone's played Path of Radiance before.
I'm hoping his Final Smash is Aether, and more like Aether where he does a 2 hit move with the first doing 1.5X normal damage and the second recovering damage equal to half the damage Ike inflicted, and most likely a smash upward.

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
I'm currently playing FE:poR. Is Aether the move where he sprints at the enemy and strikes them and then jumps really high for his second attack? It may end up being his recovery because it sounds a lot like Kirby's uB, only without shooting anything at the end of it.

Kinda pissed we havn't seen Meta Knight yet though. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that he's a secret character.

yaung27

Smash Apprentice
In the winners circle Mains: JigglyPuff, Gannondo
Well on a side note, what do you think his moves will be, such as Roy's or Marth's(which, actually was a stupid comparison) or will he have his own moveset, and also, will he be Heavy-er carcter and a Faster-er caracter?
theres, now, so many posibilities for him now that he exists.

Smashter Chief

Smash Rookie
well it does say that "Try for a single-stroke finishing blow with his mighty blade!" which is more like a roy kinda thing so im not sure but what are you gonna say when they ask you who you play as? I PLAY AS IKE ROCK ON! lol but he does looks purty cool

X-x-Dyce-x-X

Smash Master
Yes, Ike's going to be the powerhouse. I think he'll have a very close stat arrangement to what Roy had; not exactly, but close. I think he'll have about average speed, slightly less than average attack speed, AMAZING REACH (look at the size of that thing!), far above average strength, and average recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom