• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Concern on Future Dojo Updates...

raul

Smash Lord
Hello friends,
As we are well aware, today King Dedede of the Kirby gaming series has been confirmed. However, this is not a debate on how great or poor he will be. My concern is that with this latest Dojo update, a total of 23 characters have officially been comfirmed, so how many more character updates can we expect? Now, I realize several things. Dojo will still be updated with stages, game play modes, features, assist trophies, and so forth. But with 23 characters already revealed, how many more will be get a sneek peek at? I have a hard time believing Nintendo would reveal all the characters to Brawl 4 months before it hits shelves.

So how many more characters will we learn of?
For a quick recap we have:

Veteran:
1.) Mario
2.) Link
3.) DK
4.) Pikachu
5.) Fox
6.) Yoshi
7.) Samus
8.) Peach
9.) Bowser
10.) Zelda
11.) Ice Climbers
12.) Kirby

New Comers:
1.) Pit
2.) Wario
3.) Zero Suit Samus
4.) Ike
5.) Pokemon Trainer
6.) MetaKnight
7.) Diddky Kong
8.) Snake
9.) Lucas
10.) Sonic
11.) King Dedede
12.) ???

Mega Conrad

Smash Apprentice
Except they used to reveal characters roughly once a week..but after Sonic was revealed there was a 15 day gap until Dedede...makes me wonder if they're gonna start stretching out the time between each character

WuTangDude

Smash Ace
Don't forget, some of the characters are gonna be unlockable 9such as Sonic, Snake, etc.) so there's no need to worry.

But like someone mentioned above, I expect about nine more character (5 newcomers, 4 veterans) to be confirmed for Brawl.

Chepe

Smash Lord
No, there have been other gaps before...

The week before Pokemon Trainer might have been the first week without a character update, but then again Peach was added in the same week so it kinda makes up for it.

There was a whole week of updates between Meta Knight and Ice Climbers, and then another between Snake and Lucas. Lastly one between Sonic and Dedede. So Sakurai's definitely been spacing out for a while, and it is likely he will continue to until the release date.

Means that there are between 7 and 14 more characters expected to be revealed before the game comes out...

raul

Smash Lord
I was thinking that, and this is clearly all assumptions so bear with me, but if the 40 man rosters holds strong, we already have 23 characters, 2 more characters and we have the entire Melee roster matched. So I'm figuring maybe 4 more veteran characters and 5 more new comers as others have proposed. That would give us 32 known characters with 8 what I liked to call, Super Secret Characters left for us to discover on our own.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I was thinking that, and this is clearly all assumptions so bear with me, but if the 40 man rosters holds strong, we already have 23 characters, 2 more characters and we have the entire Melee roster matched. So I'm figuring maybe 4 more veteran characters and 5 more new comers as others have proposed. That would give us 32 known characters with 8 what I liked to call, Super Secret Characters left for us to discover on our own.
Sakurai already said he's revealing everybody. Including those who you call "Super Secret".

Copperpot

Smash Ace
It's difficult to say at this point. Sakurai is so sporadic with his updates that it is nearly impossible to determine how many we'll get by February. I'm guessing that it will be in the realm of 35 - 40 selectable characters, 'selectable' meaning that they are visible on the character select screen.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
When did he say that? I was under the impression that he was not updating the unlockables, like he stated in his journal. Can anyone clarify?
I know, I didn't hear about this statement until today when another person on the boards told me. He said that Sakurai stated that no one has ever revealed their whole roster before the release and that he'd like to be the first to do so before some random guy on the internet.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Personally I hope for 8 more veterans and 9 newcomers for a grand total of 40 characters! ...Probably too unrealistic though

limitbreak

Smash Ace
Except they used to reveal characters roughly once a week..but after Sonic was revealed there was a 15 day gap until Dedede...makes me wonder if they're gonna start stretching out the time between each character
Dude they announced SONIC. They could go to Fenuary without announcing another character and i still wont believe it. There will be more characters to come.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
The thing is that the character select screen has room for 30 total character slots & we've seen 22 (discounting ZSS). Add in the likely veterans & it doesn't exactly leave a whole lot of room for further newcomers.

raul

Smash Lord
Someone brought up 50 characters. That means nearly another 30 updates in characters alone. It makes sense if Nintendo wanted to double the size of every previous SSB game (SSB-12, SSBM-24, 25 if you count Sheik seperate, Brawl--???). But is Nintendo willing to make a 50 man roster and than update every single character?

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
The thing is that the character select screen has room for 30 total character slots & we've seen 22 (discounting ZSS). Add in the likely veterans & it doesn't exactly leave a whole lot of room for further newcomers.
You made that up. No one knows how many characters can fit in the character select screen because no one's seen the character select screen (no, not even the people who went to E for All. That was a demo).

For all we know, the character select screen could allow for 80 characters (though I'm sure it won't. That would be ridiculous).

Chepe

Smash Lord
Did they release all the secret characters in Melee on the website before the game came out?
Nope, but SamuraiPanda's translations have him saying:

#251-260: Sakurai in response to an email asking that everything be unlocked as a default = "Well... that is a tough question. As long as the internet exists, all secrets will be revealed quickly. Sometimes even before the game comes out, even. Secret characters are one of the fun parts of Smash. Although you don't want to find out until the very end, I guess [literally: 'after all,' so there is no doubt in this statement] I'll reveal them. Again, just like "Smash fist" [literally: 'Sumabura ken,' the name of the Japanese SSBM site?] I can't just hold these characters back. "

This would imply that he is thinking of revealing them all before release...

raul

Smash Lord
Did they release all the secret characters in Melee on the website before the game came out?
From what I remember, no they did not. But if someone knows other wise, correct me, I won't be mad.

From what I recall, they released all the starting characters and I found out the rest via some geocites webpage from a guy that actually beat the game and had an accurate list of all the characters for Melee. But I honestly don't remember all the Melee Characters being released on the website.

raul

Smash Lord
Yeah, plus we will know for sure before our release date because of the Japanese version.

Wow, great point, wish I had thought of it. So it doesn't matter because our release date is after Japan's so Japan will leak the secret character we don't know and boom we have them via internet. So it really doesn't matter if all the secret characters are revealed or not. We'll know them all before we ever get the game.

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
Wow, great point, wish I had thought of it. So it doesn't matter because our release date is after Japan's so Japan will leak the secret character we don't know and boom we have them via internet. So it really doesn't matter if all the secret characters are revealed or not. We'll know them all before we ever get the game.
Yeah, which kind of sucks. I mean I could not go on the internet and wait till I get the game.. but that's not gonna happen. I think I would have to spoil it for myself because ARRGHHH.... I don't know.. just these impulses. :mad:

malesretmit12

Smash Apprentice
I hope he doesn't show all the characters... one part i liked about the previous smashes is how excited i was when i unlocked ness in 64 and in melee, when I fell asleep on my controller, waking up to the "warning! challenger approaching!" screen with mewtwo's sillhoueth on the box... good times, goooood times :p

raul

Smash Lord
Yeah, which kind of sucks. I mean I could not go on the internet and wait till I get the game.. but that's not gonna happen. I think I would have to spoil it for myself because ARRGHHH.... I don't know.. just these impulses. :mad:
I feel your pain, I'm going to do the same exact thing. Why? Because I go back to the mentality of an 8 year old the night before x-mas, I can't wait.

Oh and to Meta_Sonic 64:

I'd like more new characters too. If it's 25...awesome. Now, don't take this the wrong way, but if you suggest 45 characters and I say 40 and another guy says 50, well I got a feeling no one really knows the exact number of characters that are going to be in the game.

Does anyone know if it was announced how many characters there will be? I never saw anything official so I'm curious now.

AsbestosBlatant

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai already said, a LONG TIME AGO, ON THE FIRST SMASH BROTHERS DOJO, that he is going to eventually show EVERY character, because things travel fast through the internet anyway and people would know before long.

We have a loooong ways to go.

estion11

Smash Apprentice
does anybody know which day exactly it releases in japan because if that much earlier than our release date sakurai isnt going to be able to consistently slow the character updates if like you guys predicted there are to be 9 more characters announced... or if there all going to be announced he will have to speed up the updates.

MegatronPwnsYou

Smash Lord
does anybody know which day exactly it releases in japan because if that much earlier than our release date sakurai isnt going to be able to consistently slow the character updates if like you guys predicted there are to be 9 more characters announced... or if there all going to be announced he will have to speed up the updates.
January 24, 2008, The day I ruin my life.

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Here is my thought on this.
-January 24th is the Japanese Release Date
-There are 65 Updates left on Dojo until that day
-1 Character every 4-10 Days
-23 (25 w/Pokemon Train Pokemon) Characters Revealed
-36-40 Character Roster

raul

Smash Lord
Nope, I did not count weekends. I do feel that there will be a huge surprise for us on Christmas. I hope so at least. Maybe it is too American.
Good thought, maybe not x-mas, but a major japanese holiday that we obivously don't celebrate in the states. What that is, I don't know...National Japan Modernizes Day? Happy Birthday Nintendo?

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
Some quick Japanese holidays between now and release in Japan.

-January 1 - New Year, MOST IMPORTANT HOLIDAY IN JAPAN
-November 3 - Culture Day
-November 15 - Seven-Five Three Day, Children Day
-November 23 - Labor Thanksgiving Day
-December 23 - Emperor's Birthday

raul

Smash Lord
Oh I'm diggin' January 1st. Wonder what the surprise could be? Maybe downloadable characters from the wiishop or whatever its called? It would be characters that just didn't make it in regular Brawl. Oh god, I better stop before I cause a rumor to circulate.

Top Bottom