• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Completely from the Ground Up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakedj93

Smash Rookie
Okay, so here's my story.

A few years back I bought a Wii before the Wii U came out knowing that I wanted to keep a console capable of playing Gamecube around (I really have no interest in anything beyond Wii). Lately, I am living in Japan and I bought one of these fancy new Smash Gamecube controllers with the extra long cord. This prompted me to look up videos on YouTube.

Suddenly I come across a 4 hour long documentary called The Smash Brothers Documentary. I was astonished.. at the story, the community, all focused on a game that was not intended to be so intensely skill based. I thought to myself, "man it would be great to have gotten into that," but I never even knew it existed, and I am now 21 years old. Tonight I further investigated, wow a 20xx version modded, looks great but I got no one to play with. A simple YouTube comment made me know of Project M's existence, and with Melee like mechanics and internet play compatibility. Maybe I can actually make this a small hobby once I get back home in two months.

Now, I have no intentions of spending hundreds upon hundreds of hours practicing, and have no real goals in mind to become the best, but I do love competitive games, and great communities of people that might revolve around them.

So this is my question, where do I begin?
There are all sorts of fancy moves and I heard weird phrases like some sort of cancelling feature, where can I go to learn everything form the ground up? I found that these forums seem to assume that the people browsing are all from Melee. I played Melee, but I was a kid and I played it exactly how it was meant to be played.

I know I am nowhere near a console I can practice one, but I was excited to know of this Project, and I want some input on where some experienced players think I ought to start.

Thank you very much, I hope to become a member of this community and I hope I can spar with a few of you some day very soon. ;)

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

First up, you want to go to the Melee boards,
This is project M help and support, for troubleshooting installing the Project M mod for Brawl (which is not 20xx, that's a melee mod)

Next up, is ignore the advanced tech for now - it's called advanced for a reason.
Get used to the game, get comfortable with movement and try out a few characters.
Then choose a main.
Then play a lot, learning all your characters moves, how they work, their timing, their spacing.
Then start looking at movement techniques. etc.

You can get good in a year of hard practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom