• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complaints a competitive smash (melee) player shouldn’t have to deal with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuqua

Smash Apprentice
I’ve been on this forum for only about a month and I enjoyed it a lot, there are some really smart people here and I like reading people’s reactions to the daily pictures. Having said that, there were some things that annoyed me greatly and I just want to speak my mind about those.

I made this thread as an attempt to put to rest some of the more ridiculous statements we competitive smash (melee) players have to deal with on this site on a daily basis. I am tired of reading these ignorant and just downright stupid complaints over and over again.

So what you are going to see now are some statements that we hopefully will never have to see again:

Melee players live in the past

This complaint is so ridiculously stupid I almost refuse to explain why. It’s like saying: “Hey guys stop playing soccer, there is this new type of soccer and it’s called “beach soccer” and it’s totally superior so you guys really need to move on from this soccer ****!” I am still uncertain if some people really believe that the sole reason for preferring melee over brawl could only be ones incapability of accepting change. You guys may not be aware of it, but EVERYONE wanted brawl to be an amazing game, ESPECIALLY the competitive crowd since these are the guys who REALLY care for this game series. When we realized after playing the game for a while, that it just isn’t as competitively viable as melee is (subjective statement most competitive players will agree on), we decided to go back and play melee, simple as that.

It’s just preference guys, if you like brawl that is totally fine I would never judge anyone for something like that, but only because melee came before brawl and I prefer that I am living in the past? Riiiiiiiight, because the newest game in a series is by definition the best one, yeah, that makes sense (go play final fantasy by that logic, have fun). Seriously though if you instantly want to be recognized as an idiot, tell melee players they live in the past, that’s all I have to say.

No Gamecube Controller support for smash 4

Some players requested that Nintendo should somehow support the gamecube controller, mainly for smash 4, HOW DARE THEY! Guys, it’s only a request, they just voiced their opinion. Will it happen? Most likely not, since the consumer base for that is way too small. WE KNOW THAT! So tell me, what is wrong about requesting it to happen. It’s only a glimmer of hope that maybe Nintendo gives a flying **** about them which they don’t, since a business is about making money. WE KNOW THAT! It’s basically just like the first point, its opinion/preference, how could you fail to realize something this simple? And PLEASE tell me why YOU would get angry about it.

The pro controller will be fine for smash, I know that, my point stands though. There is nothing wrong about requesting.

Sakurai didn’t intend smash to be a competitive game series, therefore you mustn’t play it competitively

Ok, it is, 100%, without a doubt, completely IRRELEVANT what Sakurai wants and doesn’t want smash to be. We as consumers aren’t entitled to the vision of the creator. If you buy a game, you can pretty much do with it what you want, that also includes playing it competitively, shocking I know. I see a lot of people arguing smash 4 shouldn’t reintroduce techs such as wavedash and L-cancle because smash isn’t “supposed” to have complicated techs like that. I think it’s funny how people use the word “supposed” like that, as if Sakurai HAS TO stay with the original Idea/concept of smash because he is supposed to do that. Lol who are you to say that? Sakurai can do with this series whatever he wants, he isn’t “supposed” to do anything. He is going to make decisions based on what he thinks will sell the most. It’s just an empty statement.

Brawl split the community and this shouldn’t happen again with Smash 4, it’s the fault of the community

You guys saw this thread right? It was very well received and personally I don’t really understand why. This guy pretty much wants the entire smash community to forcefully stand behind the new game. He also says that the main reason Brawl wasn’t well received competitively was the community. I have no way to proof this (neither does he) but I highly doubt that the community was to blame for anything. Let’s just face it, from a competitive standpoint most people agree that brawl was the worse game. It was less fun to play, it was less fun to watch. So the reason why this community divided/died was simply brawl, we aren’t to blame for anything. It was a 100% natural turn of events and guess what, if smash 4 isn’t competitively interesting either, the exact same thing is going to happen. A competitive community builds around a game, not the other way around.

I have no intention to attack smash 4, FFS I want this game to be bloody amazing, better than any smash game before it. Having said that, if I don’t enjoy it, I’m not going to force myself to play it just to keep a community alive which would naturally die.

(This isn’t really a stupid or ignorant statement, it’s just one that I really disagree with)

This is all I have to say for now, maybe I will add something later.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Melee players live in the past
The issues usually come up when people actively want Smash 4 to be a glorified Melee. In reality, we've had Melee for over a decade. People want to move on and go somewhere new, faster than Brawl but not as difficult as Melee.

No Gamecube Controller support for smash 4
The core issue is that there is no wired controller for Wii U, and thus the lagz will kill tournaments (it won't be that bad). You can already play with a Gamecube controller with adapters, but it doesn't solve the core issue of having it wireless. IMO it's just headscratching as to why people would request something over and over that won't happen.

Sakurai didn’t intend smash to be a competitive game series, therefore you mustn’t play it competitively
Sounds like a trolling attempt.

Brawl split the community and this shouldn’t happen again with Smash 4, it’s the fault of the community
The community did play a part in Brawl's destruction though, but the community only did it in response to the extremely questionable additions to it (seriously, tripping was outright dirty to add to the game).

People need to realize if a game isn't competitively viable, they aren't going to be supportive of it.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
How can you blame the dischord in the smash community on the game? The dischord is pretty clearly the result of the people hurling at eachother. It's like saying the Alabama football team is guilty of murder because they lost to Auburn, so they caused the bar fight that night where a Bama player killed an Auburn bragger.

And as I've said before, if Brawl is at all to blame, it's for being too good, not for being too bad. If it was so bad that people unanimously could only stand a couple hours of it, no one would either bother discussing why it's a bad game, let alone escalating conflict.

Ruthy

Smash Apprentice
I don't get the complaint about the lack of a GC controller. Are people just completely oblivious to the existence of the dozens of third party GC controllers that function with Wii U?

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
How can you blame the dischord in the smash community on the game? The dischord is pretty clearly the result of the people hurling at eachother. It's like saying the Alabama football team is guilty of murder because they lost to Auburn, so they caused the bar fight that night where a Bama player killed an Auburn bragger.
What else are they supposed to react to? If they don't like the game, they don't like the game. If college football enacts the 10 second snap rule, bans kickoffs, and brings back the targeting rule's mandatory 15 yard penalty that can't be turned over, fans will be pissed. And as for the opposite, why is the game responsible for ANYONE viewing it positively?

And as I've said before, if Brawl is at all to blame, it's for being too good, not for being too bad. If it was so bad that people unanimously could only stand a couple hours of it, no one would either bother discussing why it's a bad game, let alone escalating conflict.
if Brawl is at all to blame, it's for being too good. if Brawl is at all to blame, it's for being too good

I want to inform you people didn't like it in the competitive sense, but I have this strange feeling nothing will happen.

I don't get the complaint about the lack of a GC controller. Are people just completely oblivious to the existence of the dozens of third party GC controllers that function with Wii U?
It's more an issue of not having a wired option. The GC desire is just icing on the cake.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
What else are they supposed to react to? If they don't like the game, they don't like the game. If college football enacts the 10 second snap rule, bans kickoffs, and brings back the targeting rule's mandatory 15 yard penalty that can't be turned over, fans will be pissed. And as for the opposite, why is the game responsible for ANYONE viewing it positively?
No. It's fine for people to dislike the game or like the game. It's not fine for people to spam "Brawl sucks play Melee" or "Cowards are playing Brawl because Melee is too hard" in a tournament listing thread. People having a preference and politely explaining it in a reasoned manner never damaged the Brawl community, if anything that sort of thing made it larger because it made people think more about what they do enjoy or don't enjoy in a game.

It's trolling and behavior that is inappropriate regardless of the reason motivating that behavior that is the problem.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
No. It's fine for people to dislike the game or like the game. It's not fine for people to spam "Brawl sucks play Melee" or "Cowards are playing Brawl because Melee is too hard" in a tournament listing thread. People having a preference and politely explaining it in a reasoned manner never damaged the Brawl community, if anything that sort of thing made it larger because it made people think more about what they do enjoy or don't enjoy in a game.

It's trolling and behavior that is inappropriate regardless of the reason motivating that behavior that is the problem.
EDIT:
@ Chimera Chimera : everything but his last bullet point isn't really part of that thread. It's more something that pops up in the armpit of threads here and there.

Jumpman84

Smash Lord
NNID
Jumpman84
3DS FC
3695-0041-5877
Why do I get the feeling that this topic will end in a Melee vs. Brawl argument that gets it locked by the mods?

In any case, what's wrong with saying that Melee players are living in the past? That's the whole point of nostalgia and being retro. The Virtual Console on Wii, 3DS, and Wii U allows us to live in the past with all those great games of yesteryear. Ultimately, you shouldn't stay solely in the past as you'll miss out on your life in the present (meaning current great games like Smash for 3DS and Wii U).

As for the second, it's silly to complain about lack of GameCube controller support, since the Wii U can't play GameCube games, anyway. The hardware doesn't support it, after all, and any GameCube games released will be through a Virtual Console or HD remake, which would use the standard Wii U controls. As others have said, a wired controller petition makes more sense for a legitimate wireless concern.

Your third point is pretty dumb, in my opinion. Sure, you can play it however you want, but you can't go complaining about it if you play the game in a way it's not designed for. That's like saying that chess is a dumb game because I can't play it like I do checkers. Melee and Brawl are two different games and were designed for two different audiences. Thus, you can't play them the same way.

Your fourth point has absolutely no validness to it whatsoever. It's pretty obvious that the community is the one at fault for this one.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
As someone who really depends on holding the B button down, I can say that the need for a wired option for the Wii U is real. The Bluetooth is real damn finicky and there are several characters that depend on chargeables to play properly. The biggest example is Ike not being able to recover properly with QD, when the wireless decides to stall and interpret that as you no longer holding the button down to charge your horizontal recovery move that sends you into freefall. A universal example is charged Smash attacks releasing too early. Doesn't matter how you play, that last one is a huge problem.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409

Those reasoned arguments probably are more attributable to Brawl's downfall than spammy trolls.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
In any case, what's wrong with saying that Melee players are living in the past? That's the whole point of nostalgia and being retro. The Virtual Console on Wii, 3DS, and Wii U allows us to live in the past with all those great games of yesteryear. Ultimately, you shouldn't stay solely in the past as you'll miss out on your life in the present (meaning current great games like Smash for 3DS and Wii U).
It's not as much about the "living in the past" part than it is about accusing people of being incapable of moving on. People should just let others play the game they want. The community as a whole is not obliged to absolutely jump on the next game of the series, so I do agree with him on the last point. If by an unfortunate turn of events this game ends up being even less appealing to the community than Brawl (which I highly doubt), than the same scenario will repeat itself. If, on the other hand, the game turns out to be amazing by competitive standards, than people will just naturally transition over time. Forcing ourselves to switch to something we dislike for the sake of its success will only result in a catastrophe.

Morbi

Scavenger
I don't necessarily understand why this is in the Smash 4 section. Is this a menial attempt to attenuate a similar situation or something? I mean, just based on the title alone, and I don't believe that I should have to make this notion utterly overt... but you could always just ignore the comments that are attempting to... um "dissuade" you from competitive Melee.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, that includes the ignorant users.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I like your points but I want to make something clear.
A huge reason for the split was, as has been mentioned, the pure venom between fans over Melee and Brawl. As this thread stands it is very close to sowing seeds of an argument of SSB4 vs. Melee vs. Brawl or whatever variants of that people will come up with.

This is a big forum, the largest about Smash. A lot of the points you list (1 and 3 particularly) can be explained by more casual players throwing their opinions around which will inevitably clash with people that have been in the scene for years. It just takes a few misunderstandings to make an argument. There will always be people that don't understand why people play Melee and be jerks about it, it's pretty much the Melee community, the Brawl community, hell, the damn SMASH community's responsibility to be the bigger man and realize this is the series we love and splitting it in such a dumb way is nothing but hurtful.

This said I'm closing this thread not because you're not allowed to bring up these points but because Melee misunderstandings don't belong here, there is already a controller thread, and if you want to counter Amazing Ampharos' thread you could do so in that thread. In fact your most important argument (Brawl split the community and this shouldn’t happen again with Smash 4, it’s the fault of the community) would go very well there. You can PM me if you think you can make a thread that can discuss this civilly but really broad sweeping threads that attempt to set straight multiple different things in an antagonistic tone hardly ever go well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom