• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Competitive Smash Ruleset Discussion

Judo777

Smash Master
It's not adding hardly anything to check the circle in the character pane. You already oughtta look at that square to see what character your opponent is playing, y'know?

All negative stats is an issue since the badge could be gray. Most special effects are obvious, but air attacker is 1.15 extra air damage, and that's pretty subtle. There might be some other stuff.

It's a lot of effort just to farm the kind of items you would need to cheat with a gray badge for a marginal advantage. To make it any harder, I would suggest a rule that no one should be allowed to have a gray badge equipment setup anywhere on their console at any time. Unlike normal equipment setups, they are useless for single player modes and serve no apparent purpose distinct from cheating. I think they should be treated like a cheating tool that they are and warrant DQ from the entire tournament if found.

That rule makes the risk reward on sneaking an air attacker or shield regenerator into play a lot steeper. If your setups get auditted because you won the tournament, something seemed off, or your that guy that splits pots all the time, you have a huge negative risk, and you might not even have been using the contraband item that round.
I had been talking about this too. But what stops a player from changing his custom sets right before and after a match? You could institute a rule that says that TO's and officials can check your equipment at anytime that payers must agree to.

The next thing that comes to mind tho is if someone who played on your game or got a hold of it, made an illegal custom set to attempt to report you later.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
If people ever figure out how to sniff at replay files to see everyone's setup, we could just require everyone to save a replay of their matches to be provided on request if the match is suspect. Failure to provide the replay when asked would come with some sort of penalty. But that's a fair bit in the future.

This is something the Wii U version will avoid almost completely since shared setups are harder to game like this.
Yeah, I think the ideal way to do it is for the Wii U version, the TOs should just precreate common character setups, then name them with the generic naming convention (ie, 1112, 1312, etc). I highly doubt most characters will have more than 10 sets they want to use, most characters probably only have 1 or 2.

If one of the sets you want happens not to be there at least the other player gets to watch you set it up so it's hard to do tricky business there.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I had been talking about this too. But what stops a player from changing his custom sets right before and after a match? You could institute a rule that says that TO's and officials can check your equipment at anytime that payers must agree to.

The next thing that comes to mind tho is if someone who played on your game or got a hold of it, made an illegal custom set to attempt to report you later.
Well, if you let someone get their hands on your console, they can put it in their pocket and leave the tournament and sell it on ebay, which is a much surer way to make cash in a douchebag way than beating whoever is second best after you're DQed. But this sort of thing is why I don't propose blacklisting as a penalty, only DQ.

You can't make, edit, or delete custom sets during a local wireless game. You can in the character select screen where you fight cpu, but not in local wireless. This does make some cushion time where you can get auditted before getting a chance to hide an illegal set, which is a nice thing.

PS: If you're really worried about people putting gray sets on your DS, you can also sell equipment with more - than + on its stats. It's sufficient to sell all Defense equipment with more - than + on its stats, and defense equipment is useless for smash run (defense is useful in classic, but generally only when the defense is more than the attack-)

Then to put an illegal set on your DS someone would have to unlock new equipment, then do it, which is a lot of time spent with your console.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
PS: If you're really worried about people putting gray sets on your DS, you can also sell equipment with more - than + on its stats. It's sufficient to sell all Defense equipment with more - than + on its stats...
No it isn't, something like this would still be grey.

Attack + 17, Defense - 30 (some effect)
Defense + 29, Speed - 15 (neutral)
Speed + 14, Attack - 20 (some effect)

Totals are -3, -1, -1, btw.

Basically, you just need the degree to which the defense equipment is positive to be less than the sum total of the negatives on the other two pieces of equipment to end up negative.

Last edited:

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
Hey guys,

Wanted to share with you guys, We're having our first tournament Nov 21st, Nov 22, and Nov 23rd at work.

We are keeping it with

-NO CUSTOM MOVES
-3 STOCK 6 MINUTES
-NO EQUIPMENT
-BEST OUT OF 3
-BEST OUT OF 5 LOSERS AND GRAND FINALS (not winners finals)
-BEST OUT OF 1 LOSERS BRACKET
-Provided the infinite is still there , INFINITE IS ALLOWED
-YOSHI LEDGE TELEPORT IS ALLOWED
-No ledge grab limit (lol)
-GamecubeControllers MUST BE INSPECTED
-Wii U Pro Controller allowed
-Gamepad not allowed
-Wired Fight pads allowed

we've had hacked controllers - can you believe that **** -

We get the game in the store at 12 midnight, and I'm assigned to unlock as much as possible from 12 midnight till 7:00 PM when the tournament gets set up. I don't own a DS to transfer anything, and I can't assume I'll be able to unlock all custom moves by the first deadline.

What you think for a first start.?

Last edited:

Judo777

Smash Master
Well, if you let someone get their hands on your console, they can put it in their pocket and leave the tournament and sell it on ebay, which is a much surer way to make cash in a douchebag way than beating whoever is second best after you're DQed. But this sort of thing is why I don't propose blacklisting as a penalty, only DQ.

You can't make, edit, or delete custom sets during a local wireless game. You can in the character select screen where you fight cpu, but not in local wireless. This does make some cushion time where you can get auditted before getting a chance to hide an illegal set, which is a nice thing.

PS: If you're really worried about people putting gray sets on your DS, you can also sell equipment with more - than + on its stats. It's sufficient to sell all Defense equipment with more - than + on its stats, and defense equipment is useless for smash run (defense is useful in classic, but generally only when the defense is more than the attack-)

Then to put an illegal set on your DS someone would have to unlock new equipment, then do it, which is a lot of time spent with your console.
While I see what you are saying about the not leaving your console unattended (which is obvious and tbh not a major concern of mine anyway) them stealing the console is significantly riskier than them creating a custom set lol.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
No it isn't, something like this would still be grey.

Attack + 17, Defense - 30 (some effect)
Defense + 29, Speed - 15 (neutral)
Speed + 14, Attack - 20 (some effect)

Totals are -3, -1, -1, btw.

Basically, you just need the degree to which the defense equipment is positive to be less than the sum total of the negatives on the other two pieces of equipment to end up negative.
You're right. Well, you can still sell all items with more - than plus. Or is it sufficient to sell all defense AND agility with more - than plus?

EDIT: Sell all defense equips of any kind!

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Hey guys,

Wanted to share with you guys, We're having our first tournament Nov 21st, Nov 22, and Nov 23rd at work.

We are keeping it with

-NO CUSTOM MOVES
-3 STOCK 6 MINUTES
-NO EQUIPMENT
-BEST OUT OF 3
-BEST OUT OF 5 LOSERS AND GRAND FINALS (not winners finals)
-BEST OUT OF 1 LOSERS BRACKET
-Provided the infinite is still there , INFINITE IS ALLOWED
-YOSHI LEDGE TELEPORT IS ALLOWED
-No ledge grab limit (lol)
-GamecubeControllers MUST BE INSPECTED
-Wii U Pro Controller allowed
-Gamepad not allowed
-Wired Fight pads allowed

we've had hacked controllers - can you believe that **** -

We get the game in the store at 12 midnight, and I'm assigned to unlock as much as possible from 12 midnight till 7:00 PM when the tournament gets set up. I don't own a DS to transfer anything, and I can't assume I'll be able to unlock all custom moves by the first deadline.

What you think for a first start.?
That all sounds fine. I don't really understand the hype for release day tourneys personally, I prefer to practice a game then compete in it in that order, lol.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
You're right. Well, you can still sell all items with more - than plus. Or is it sufficient to sell all defense AND agility with more - than plus?

EDIT: Sell all defense equips of any kind!
The simplest answer would just be sell all equipment, period. Granted, I don't think it's that much of an issue on Wii U, where you can't create your character in secret long before the match starts.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
This is where you're mistaken. On the bottom of the character's picture on the character select screen, there is a grey circle icon. If they are using equipment, there will be either a blue shield, an orange boxing glove, or a green boot over their portrait instead. If they have ANY of those three colored icons the character is illegal. If they don't, it's legal. It's a very, very simple way of telling if equipment is being used in local multiplayer.
You can have a balanced equipment set that has effects on them and it will show grey circle.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
The simplest answer would just be sell all equipment, period. Granted, I don't think it's that much of an issue on Wii U, where you can't create your character in secret long before the match starts.
Players who want to use unusual custom sets might use DS upload though. And so there theoretically you might want to sell all equips to prevent douchebaggery.

I don't think my region has enough raw asshole power level in it for someone to try to get another player DQed by putting **** on his DS, so I'm not worried about it. There's barely enough assholishness around for someone to possibly try to sneak a gray set in.

If the rule catches on, I'll probably sell all my defense equipment, because why not. It's all useless for smash run, which is the only single player I play now.

Last edited:

AvariceX

Smash Champion
NNID
AvariceX
3DS FC
1177-8001-5699
If looking at the grey circle isn't enough to tell due to negative but balanced stats, then what's so hard about asking your opponent "hey can I take a look at your screen before we go into stage select to make sure everything's legal?" Perhaps not a valid solution for online play granted, I don't really have a problem with sticking to no customs in online, but I think most of us are focused on local play here.

As for the transparency issue and not requiring players to do the TO's job, that seems silly. There are lots of not-very-transparent things that could be changed without the players noticing until it's too late in past games and it hasn't been a big problem: forget to turn team attack on, accidentally change the damage ratio to 0.9 or 1.1 while flipping through the options, set items to "OFF" but forget to set them to "NONE" and suddenly Dedede is throwing Pokeballs. In theory all of that stuff is checked by the TO before the tournament, in practice people screw with the settings all the time to play their fun matches while waiting or show off glitches etc. and then forget/neglect to change them back.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Why not just leave the custom moves unlocked in the console and sell all the equipment? (If you didn't use a 3ds to unlock the moves) That way, players are allowed to make their sets before the match. (which doesn't really take that long)

Of course, if any player or TO think your customization looks off they can ask to check it before and after the match. If you got some illegal stuff, you get DQ. Easy.

And honestly, if you let someone untrustworthy take your 3ds long enough to put in some DQ worth sets, then you're an idiot and will get your 3ds stolen soon.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Why not just leave the custom moves unlocked in the console and sell all the equipment? (If you didn't use a 3ds to unlock the moves) That way, players are allowed to make their sets before the match. (which doesn't really take that long)

Of course, if any player or TO think your customization looks off they can ask to check it before and after the match. If you got some illegal stuff, you get DQ. Easy.

And honestly, if you let someone untrustworthy take your 3ds long enough to put in some DQ worth sets, then you're an idiot and will get your 3ds stolen soon.
We can't just tell everyone who brings in a console to sell their equipment. What if they enjoy messing around with it or has family members who enjoy it? It's terrible to tell people that want to help a tournament that they have to give up a part of the game completely.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Even on the 3DS version it shouldn't be massively difficult. The fact is, it's worth the extra effort of examining setups and enforcing because custom moves add a LOT of variety and fun to competitive play.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
I am all for custom everything turned on for competition. Just make sure your specs are made public and let the meta game do its thing. More depth and strategy is always welcome to me and I think it would make it more entertaining as a spectator as well. Sure there may be some imbalanced builds that can pop up but thats when rules and bans can come in not to mention this is 2014 and developers can patch broken mechanics as needed.

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
We can't just tell everyone who brings in a console to sell their equipment. What if they enjoy messing around with it or has family members who enjoy it? It's terrible to tell people that want to help a tournament that they have to give up a part of the game completely.
That line referred to Wii U tournaments, though I didn't do a great job about making that clear.

Well, you can always sell just the Grey Equipment (The ones that can be used in cheating) without selling the rest or in the case selling the equipment isn't a desired option, you, your opponent, or the TO can ask to check the players equipment before or after the match, so if something looks suspicious, you can easily detect it.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
I think all of this talk about custom moves is short-sighted and adds nothing but complications to the scene. Sakurai already stated that he avoided allowing them online for the sake of the game's balance, but looking at it a bit further:

1) We can't guarantee that any/every 3DS will have all the custom moves needed. Now of course you can blame this on the owner, but...

2) 1 holds true for Wii U too.

How are custom rules gonna translate properly to Wii U? I'm not too concerned about people hiding positive buffs on 3DS, but I'm more concerned about the fact that these customization options don't seem to be entirely balanced or convenient. Auto-tripping trees are just a lousy idea that just screams "there wasn't a lot of thought put into this one"...given what we just left behind (the same freaking tripping). Same for Ganon's custom recovery that gives him a KO punch that punches through parts of freaking Battlefield and can KO Yoshi starting from 80-ish percent or so with added super armor. It just doesn't seem like the custom moves were well thought out, save a few characters here and there.

Last edited:

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I think all of this talk about custom moves is short-sighted and adds nothing but complications to the scene. Sakurai already stated that he avoided allowing them online for the sake of the game's balance, but looking at it a bit further:

1) We can't guarantee that any/every 3DS will have all the custom moves needed. Now of course you can blame this on the owner, but...

How are custom rules gonna translate properly to Wii U? I'm not too concerned about people hiding positive buffs on 3DS, but I'm more concerned about the fact that these customization options don't seem to be entirely balanced or convenient. Auto-tripping trees are just a lousy idea that just screams "there wasn't a lot of thought put into this one"...given what we just left behind (the same freaking tripping). Same for Ganon's custom recovery that gives him a KO punch that punches through parts of freaking Battlefield and can KO Yoshi starting from 80-ish percent or so with added super armor. It just doesn't seem like the custom moves were well thought out, save a few characters here and there.
Sakurai said that because he lumped equipment and Custom Moves in the same screen, so it's hard to run "Competitive Style" (FG) when suddenly Ganon is outpacing Sonic.

If you haven't found a way to unlock all Custom Moves, then you can always ban it for technical issues. We're talking about a future case where TO's have Wii U's with all the Custom Moves. And besides, there's always a disadvantage for all customs.
That Ganon Upper has terrible recovery uses, so it's a gamble. You kill easy, you get gimped even easier.

atom8bit

Smash Rookie
Yes, this is why I came here initially - I host tournaments and want a better pulse on the competitive scene. Watched :)

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
Yes, this is why I came here initially - I host tournaments and want a better pulse on the competitive scene. Watched :)
After getting this "pulse", what ruleset are you planning to run? I'm curious about how the discussion in this thread are influencing rulesets.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
That Ganon Upper has terrible recovery uses, so it's a gamble. You kill easy, you get gimped even easier.
Not really. Dark Fists gives you about as much distance as Dark Dive, if not a bit more, and the armor on it can save you from a potential gimp. The distance isn't spectacular, but it's decent and it's dangerous to challenge it directly, and when combined with Wizard's Dropkick you can make it back no problem most of the time. It's still perfectly fair because Ganon has nothing really safe in neutral and relies on hard reads to get in on people, so he needs the ability to kill early and die late to have a chance against the rest of the cast. It would be really stupid and broken on someone like Sheik, but given Ganon's weaknesses the move is perfectly fine.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman

Ask someone to transfer custom sets onto the Wii U from their 3DS. Any 3DS will do. Yes, you can't edit them but there are a lot of slots available for combinations if people prefer one set over the other (and in this early meta, many people are going to latch onto popular sets). And this is an issue that will only really exist for the first few months (I give it three). Eventually, a majority of people are going to have all customs unlocked.

And have it become standard that all custom sets are based off numbers such as 1123, so that people know what they're picking immediately.

Last edited:

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Sakurai said that because he lumped equipment and Custom Moves in the same screen, so it's hard to run "Competitive Style" (FG) when suddenly Ganon is outpacing Sonic.

If you haven't found a way to unlock all Custom Moves, then you can always ban it for technical issues. We're talking about a future case where TO's have Wii U's with all the Custom Moves. And besides, there's always a disadvantage for all customs.
And he has a custom Wiz Kick that recovers better, anyway. What's the point of attempting to balance his raw power with bad recovery if you give him a dive kick that almost goes straight horizontal?

Anywho, in a scenario where TOs have all the moves, then it wouldn't be too much different from now. Main thing is that managing every single setup and making sure they all have everything required unlocked...it's gonna be bothersome.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
And he has a custom Wiz Kick that recovers better, anyway. What's the point of attempting to balance his raw power with bad recovery if you give him a dive kick that almost goes straight horizontal?
It's a 45-degree angle, hardly horizontal. It's also 3% weaker, and can't be used for spike gimps.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a critical asset for Ganon in 1v1 gameplay and he should always use it in such a context. But it is a trade-off, and letting Ganon--a FFA-focused character--be re-balanced for 1v1 play is the point of the system.

Also, I'm kinda confused; are you suggesting that Ganondorf is an over-powered top character with custom moves?

Anywho, in a scenario where TOs have all the moves, then it wouldn't be too much different from now. Main thing is that managing every single setup and making sure they all have everything required unlocked...it's gonna be bothersome.
Not really? If a setup for some reason doesn't have everything unlocked, *and* someone wants to use a locked move, *and* they or no one has ever transferred a set to it before, you just take a minute to transfer it via a 3DS. That's a lot of ifs, with a quick and easy solution that solves the problem permanently and doesn't require a TO.

This does require SOMEONE at a SMASH TOURNEY have a 3DS with the moves unlocked. But that's like, a joke of a requirement.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Not really? If a setup for some reason doesn't have everything unlocked, *and* someone wants to use a locked move, *and* they or no one has ever transferred a set to it before, you just take a minute to transfer it via a 3DS. That's a lot of ifs, with a quick and easy solution that solves the problem permanently and doesn't require a TO.
It's actually not "permanent", since it doesn't unlock the moves, it just transfers that specific setup. If someone else wants a different setup using a move that's not unlocked they would also have to transfer it.

Seriously though, I think it's a manageable requirement. If you need a specific custom set bring your 3DS.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's actually not "permanent", since it doesn't unlock the moves, it just transfers that specific setup. If someone else wants a different setup using a move that's not unlocked they would also have to transfer it.
Right, it's only permanent for that set. Fortunately, many competitive players will seek the same set(s) on a given character.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621

Seriously though, I think it's a manageable requirement. If you need a specific custom set bring your 3DS.
That's assuming everyone has the 3DS version, which isn't always gonna hold true. I have friends that don't, and one that's just borrowing a Japanese 3DS and version of the game until he gets the Wii U one.

Also, I'm not saying Ganon's top tier with customs. I'm saying he breaks the mold of what his original design was supposed to be too much. All characters come with set advantages and disadvantages in mind. Heavier, stronger characters are supposed to have a hard time recovering, and faster, nimble characters have a hard time scoring low % KOs. Ganon's custom moves are an example of how that concept of balancing gets skewed, because his recovery move becomes an extremely powerful KO option while his Wiz Kick bridges the initial loss of a recovery option anyway. So in total, he didn't really "trade", he just "gained". Other examples like Villager's tripping tree and Pikachu's instant-hit Thunder are other examples of lousy custom move design, and why I think custom moves weren't really intended for competitive play, and should be left out of it.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
That's assuming everyone has the 3DS version, which isn't always gonna hold true. I have friends that don't, and one that's just borrowing a Japanese 3DS and version of the game until he gets the Wii U one.

Also, I'm not saying Ganon's top tier with customs. I'm saying he breaks the mold of what his original design was supposed to be too much. All characters come with set advantages and disadvantages in mind. Heavier, stronger characters are supposed to have a hard time recovering, and faster, nimble characters have a hard time scoring low % KOs. Ganon's custom moves are an example of how that concept of balancing gets skewed, because his recovery move becomes an extremely powerful KO option while his Wiz Kick bridges the initial loss of a recovery option anyway. So in total, he didn't really "trade", he just "gained". Other examples like Villager's tripping tree and Pikachu's instant-hit Thunder are other examples of lousy custom move design, and why I think custom moves weren't really intended for competitive play, and should be left out of it.
Not everyone needs a 3DS. All it takes is any 3DS and it will transfer to the Wii U version.

Last edited:

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
This might be a bit co time consuming considering how much any TO is going to have on their plate during a tourney, but wouldn't is be feasible to have a single 3DS with everything unlocked and have all customs be created by the TO and then transferred before each set? In this case, there is only one set-up required to have all customs unlocked and it also eliminates cheating since the TO is the one creating the custom moveset.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
This might be a bit co time consuming considering how much any TO is going to have on their plate during a tourney, but wouldn't is be feasible to have a single 3DS with everything unlocked and have all customs be created by the TO and then transferred before each set? In this case, there is only one set-up required to have all customs unlocked and it also eliminates cheating since the TO is the one creating the custom moveset.
It would probably involve planning the custom combos in advance using popular player lists, but it's not impossible.

chipndip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Chiptendo
3DS FC
4098-3083-1621
Yes, but you'd have to constantly go to that 3DS and edit the moves if you don't have them the way you want them. Time is of the essence, and if I have to go to another tourney that eats up nearly 12 hours of day time, I'm probably just not gonna go to them anymore. Smash can have up to hundreds of players as we've seen before, and we're already pushing it with this 3 stock/8 min + bo3 rule set (which I still argue against). This type of stuff just makes things take longer than they should.

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
Yes, but you'd have to constantly go to that 3DS and edit the moves if you don't have them the way you want them. Time is of the essence, and if I have to go to another tourney that eats up nearly 12 hours of day time, I'm probably just not gonna go to them anymore. Smash can have up to hundreds of players as we've seen before, and we're already pushing it with this 3 stock/8 min + bo3 rule set (which I still argue against). This type of stuff just makes things take longer than they should.
There really doesn't have to be just one 3DS with all customs you know. There can be multiple 3DS, and besides not all customs are created equal, and a lot of them really aren't immediately useful in this early meta without proper experimentation, and it's obvious that certain combos will become popular choices. It shouldn't be too hard to narrow something down.

The thing is, at the time this is really only a temporary drawback. In the long run most people are going to have customs unlocked within the first month or two so this won't last forever.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Why would you transfer customs before each set? Sets transferred remain on that Wii permanently, even if they seemingly cannot be edited. (Only deleted)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I originally posted this in the Stage Discussion thread but it occurred to me that this may be a more appropriate venue.

I'm convinced that Wii U tournaments should have a liberal stage list from the beginning and ban stages if and only if they are proven to lead to degenerate gameplay, as opposed to sticking to Battlefield/FD/Omega and allowing other stages as they "prove themselves" to be tournament legal. In other words, no theorycrafting about whether a stage should be banned, either point to an actual match (preferably several) where someone did the thing or shut up.

The reason I say this is related to the POTD. Sakurai showed off Wuhu Island, which by all appearances is basically Delfino Plaza on a different island. I have seen people say, with complete seriousness, that the water by itself makes the stage banned, that the walkoffs on some transformations make the stage banned, that some of the transformations are too big and thus the stage should be banned. They back their statements up with incorrect facts, such as Pirate Ship being banned due to the water. (It was banned due to stalling and the catapult.) In general I get the overwhelming impression that people are afraid of change, no matter how innocuous.

I understand that these people are not necessarily representative of the competitive scene. (On Reddit at least they're getting downvoted, so someone disagrees with them.) But they are a voice and their message disturbs me. It tells me that we cannot count on people to willingly try new stages for themselves unless circumstances force them to. And the only way I can think of to do that is if the early tournaments use a liberal stage list. Even then, I'm worried people will just flock to Battlefield/Final Destination en masse and not even look at the other offerings. (Maybe ban Battlefield/Final Destination for a few events? That would be interesting to see.)

Last edited:

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I originally posted this in the Stage Discussion thread but it occurred to me that this may be a more appropriate venue.

I'm convinced that Wii U tournaments should have a liberal stage list from the beginning and ban stages if and only if they are proven to lead to degenerate gameplay, as opposed to sticking to Battlefield/FD/Omega and allowing other stages as they "prove themselves" to be tournament legal. In other words, no theorycrafting about whether a stage should be banned, either point to an actual match (preferably several) where someone did the thing or shut up.

The reason I say this is related to the POTD. Sakurai showed off Wuhu Island, which by all appearances is basically Delfino Plaza on a different island. I have seen people say, with complete seriousness, that the water by itself makes the stage banned, that the walkoffs on some transformations make the stage banned, that some of the transformations are too big and thus the stage should be banned. They back their statements up with incorrect facts, such as Pirate Ship being banned due to the water. (It was banned due to stalling and the catapult.) In general I get the overwhelming impression that people are afraid of change, no matter how innocuous.

I understand that these people are not necessarily representative of the competitive scene. (On Reddit at least they're getting downvoted, so someone disagrees with them.) But they are a voice and their message disturbs me. It tells me that we cannot count on people to willingly try new stages for themselves unless circumstances force them to. And the only way I can think of to do that is if the early tournaments use a liberal stage list. Even then, I'm worried people will just flock to Battlefield/Final Destination en masse and not even look at the other offerings. (Maybe ban Battlefield/Final Destination for a few events? That would be interesting to see.)
We do really need a liberal stage list to start out. The 3DS version showed that starting small and adding doesn't work. There definitely needs to be stage bans at the beginning though. We can't have stages like Palutena's Temple legal because it's obviously banned, and will just encourage people to complain.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
We do really need a liberal stage list to start out. The 3DS version showed that starting small and adding doesn't work. There definitely needs to be stage bans at the beginning though. We can't have stages like Palutena's Temple legal because it's obviously banned, and will just encourage people to complain.
I agree with cutting out the obviously bad stages like Palutena's Temple but it would still be good to formalize the reasoning, if only to help draw a clear line between "ban from the start" and "give it a few test runs." Do we want to ban Pyrosphere off the bat? Gamer? Jungle Hijinxs?

Looking at the list of currently known stages as found on this site, I would say the following stages are beyond redemption and should be banned:
  • Palutena's Temple
  • The Great Cave Offensive
  • 75M
  • Temple
  • Wily Castle
  • Pyrosphere
  • Gaur Plain
Conveniently, these stages are all either humongous or have a stage boss. That may be the necessary criteria:

A stage that is abnormally large or features a stage boss is banned.

The question then is what counts as "abnormally large" and what defines a stage boss, for instance Yellow Devil vs. Flying Man. But that's a different discussion. In the meantime we have 39 other stages to consider:
  1. Battlefield
  2. Big Battlefield
  3. Final Destination
  4. Smashville
  5. Town and City
  6. Jungle Hijinxs
  7. Duck Hunt
  8. Coliseum
  9. Gamer
  10. Mario Circuit
  11. Miiverse
  12. Pac-Land
  13. Garden of Hope
  14. Pilotwings
  15. Kalos Pokemon League
  16. Boxing Ring
  17. Windy Hill
  18. Orbital Gate Assault
  19. Mario Galaxy
  20. Mushroom Kingdom U
  21. Skyloft
  22. Wii Fit Studio
  23. Wuhu Island
  24. Wrecking Crew
  25. Woolly World
  26. Kongo Jungle 64
  27. Onett
  28. Port Town Aero Dive
  29. Castle Siege
  30. Skyworld
  31. Halberd
  32. Luigi's Mansion
  33. Mario Circuit Brawl
  34. Norfair
  35. Pokemon Stadium 2
  36. Lylat Cruise
  37. Delfino Plaza
  38. Bridge of Eldin
  39. Yoshi's Island Melee
If people are willing to put forth an honest effort to play on even half of these stages and try and work with them instead of going on a kneejerk banning spree, we're looking at 19-20 stages for Wii U tournaments. That's absolutely incredible and I would be so excited to see the matches that result.

If.

Last edited:

Doval

Smash Lord
I think all of this talk about custom moves is short-sighted and adds nothing but complications to the scene. Sakurai already stated that he avoided allowing them online for the sake of the game's balance, but looking at it a bit further
Sakurai lumps custom moves and equipment under the same bucket, so you can't deduce custom moves are unbalanced from that statement. Either way it's not like he's a good judge of 1v1 balance, what with the only stage being Final Destination. In practice custom specials aren't broken.

Last edited:
Top Bottom