• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Competitive Character Impressions 2.0

?

• Total voters

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
I think people underestimated Joker, if you look back at the actual reactions. While there was some Day 1 talk about bair being wild, on the whole there was a pretty big gap between Day 1 Joker expectations and what MKLeo had built 2 months later.
To be fair, Day 1 Joker didn't have good kill setups so provided you avoided the edgeguards and the stray Arsene hits it felt like you could get a lot of mileage against him.

Obviously MKLeo saw fit to change that but even now, I think struggling to seal stocks is a real issue for less technical Joker players who don't have them on lock.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To be fair, Day 1 Joker didn't have good kill setups so provided you avoided the edgeguards and the stray Arsene hits it felt like you could get a lot of mileage against him.

Obviously MKLeo saw fit to change that but even now, I think struggling to seal stocks is a real issue for less technical Joker players who don't have them on lock.
People found kill set ups for Joker on Day 1.

Labbers realized right away that Fair 1 and drag down Uair could lead to kills.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
One thing I think is important to note is that Devil Kazuya isn't strictly a comeback mechanic, we see him with that laser as an up throw, my guesses are either that at some percentage, Kazuya gets an overall buff with the Devil versions of moves or the devil versions are Kazuya's way of going "You did the input perfectly" like the other FGC characters do with some visual effects and different voice clips. I think it might be the latter as Rage Art's shown off and that'sa comeback mechanic, though it's also a one off as seen as how Kazuya loses the red aura after landing that sick ass command grab super

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
People found kill set ups for Joker on Day 1.

Labbers realized right away that Fair 1 and drag down Uair could lead to kills.
Fair enough, but there was still a disconnect between them existing and people making good, consistent use of them, which still exists the further down the ladder you go.

Reactions: Nah

ProfessorVincent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Alexim
3DS FC
2105-8719-2070
How do special-moves inputs work in Tekken? Is it safe to assume Kazuya will have the same auto turn around mechanic in 1v1 as the shotos and Terry?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
How do special-moves inputs work in Tekken? Is it safe to assume Kazuya will have the same auto turn around mechanic in 1v1 as the shotos and Terry?
From what little I know they're more like MK inputs like forward forward attack, but that may be wrong as Tekken movesets are huge. As for autoturn, Kazuya's trailer shows him backdashing in the first part of gameplay footage, though his back air had so much landing lag I thought he didn't have it

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
One thing that's on my mind is the effect this will have on other character usage.

Normally, a new character (if good or bad but especially if good) steals usage away from similar characters. Kinda obvious.

But with Terry, someone could probably dig up a post where I predicted that Terry was more likely to increase Ken and especially Ryu usage. The idea is that Ken and Ryu were so underplayed (due to a pretty straightforward, universally acknowledged barrier), that even a small percentage of incoming new Terry mains picking them up (even as secondaries) would represent more new players than if every single Ken/Ryu main switched to Terry initially. Learning these characters was seen as a big barrier, and Terry existing made the trouble seem like it had more payoff.

It seems this panned out to be true. It's hard to know how much of it was this "reverse substitution effect" from Terry, how much was the impact of subsequent buffs in 7.0.0, and how much of it was just the characters always being somewhat ripe for more play. But at the very least, Terry certainly didn't seem to hurt the shotos.

The same could be true for Kazuya. He is likely to play less like those 3 in "true" playstyle criteria we are normally most concerned with, but even just by concept alone is probably closest aligned to them on the superficial aspects that motivate 90% of initial character selection.

Ryu/Ken are not nearly as underplayed now, and Terry barely qualifies. But it's still plausible, unlike most characters/substitutes.

As a one-man case study, Ryu/Ken were historically 2 of my 3 worst characters. (I also just can't play Pichu.) When Terry came out, I was a lot better with Terry, but my Ryu and Ken improved a modest amount (still personal bottom 3 characters) just by osmosis and getting better at inputs. I expect the same slight improvement bleed from Kazuya, even if his inputs are not as similar.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dumb: "This character is broken, I can already tell on release day."

Smart: "This character is broken, I can already tell based on the 20 minutes of Sakurai Presents footage with in-development damage and frame values."

Genius: "This character is broken, I can already tell based on 70 seconds of footage attacking a dummy with no visible damage or knockback and unknown advantage/disadvantage states."

Ascended: "This character is broken, I can already tell because character #81 will have both the vibrational energies of 8 and 1--signifying supreme ambition--and will release under Cancer as Mercury ends its retrograde coinciding with the solstice."
Best post ITT. BEST ****ING POST !!!! 💯🙏🏼

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
Surprised many players have been putting Fox outside of Top 15 I mean Light and Paseriman were getting great resutls before the pandemic happened. Yeah he is a glass cannon but his rushdown and vortex game is still very threatening

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Exactly. I learned my lesson long ago never to judge a character until you've tried to play as/against them for at least 10-20 hours. That may seem like a long time to some, but it really is amazing what difference there is between 5 hours of practice and 15 on a brand new character. My experiences thus far:

:ultjoker: early: wow, it's Sm4sh Shiek with a super saiyan mode!
later: Def good in the right hands, but lacks range and struggles to kill without Arsene

:ulthero:early: OMG, so effing broken with Kaboom and magical blast and crits and....
later: Yeah, the RNG gods don't like me and that frame data ain't paying the bills

:ultbanjokazooie:early: Huh, fun, but pretty quirky. Don't see them being very dangerous....
later: OK, wonder wing is stupid and grenade shenanigans can be brutal in the right hands

:ult_terry:early: Cool, auto-combos! And awesome finishers! Gotta love pay to win!
later: OK, so people aren't going to stand within combo range, better learn how to optimize

:ultbyleth:.......

:ultminminearly: The new goddess of range!
later: Still has stupid range, but much harder to optimize than she looks.

:ultsteve:early: This guy is so jank and stupid. No way he'll be competitive...
later: (Gets absolutely mauled by block combos and minecart mixups) I stand corrected.

:ultsephiroth:early: SUPER HYPE CHARACTER but dang does his frame data suck. PASS!
later: Oh, NOW I get it, the reach compensates for the frame data. Guess this is what they call "balancing".

:ultpyra:early: Absolutely stupid good. Broken. OP. Sakurai done ruined the game with this one.
later: Definitely good, but glaring weakness mirror their opposing strengths. Rock the opposition, just hope you don't get gimped!

Bottomline: Almost all of the DLC characters managed to flip my perceptions, but you never truly know what you're dealing with until the controller is in your hand.
Hero is weird that the initial perception has a tendency to come back every so often to haunt him.

Other gems:

Min-min: She'll probably crumble, like the Belmonts, to the rushdown that my mind selectively considers all top tiers to be (because that should be the only kind of top tier allowed), Ram-Ram is the only alternative arm she needs and Megawatt is useless. Well, it turns out she has surprisingly good close range moves and Megawatt moves are real scary, especially that nair. You can sort of thank Sakurai for giving that impression of it being a meme free-for-all move though.

Aegis: You specifically meant Mythra is busted af, right? And you probably forgot Pyra existed the moment the former came in. Seriously everyone treated her as an afterthought, thinking Mythra would no doubt have setups to mitigate a supposed kill weakness. Well it turns out massive, hard-hitting disjoint coverage on a lithe, attractive body, even if they're a bit slow, can be quite daunting to deal with, and Blazing End is PK Fire on steroids. Also, Mythra's attack pressure isn't as suffocating as it looks at a glance.

As for what I'm thinking of Kazuya?

- That Devil beam, unless it can be aimed like R.O.B's, is so narrow and high that anyone with a half-decent crouch can invalidate it that way. Someone like Kirby might not even have to do even that. It is piercing, though, so it can check careless zoning and might be all right for sniping people offstage depending on how strong and far-reaching it is.

- We barely saw any aerials, and what few there only seemed to be at their best hitting people on the ground. Simply put, jumping is far less emphasized in 3D fighters like Tekken and that's probably being carried over here. Now his devil form does let him jump pretty high, and he may have good killing aerials we haven't really seen, but his air speed didn't look particularly great, and without any "special" moves for aerials to cancel into like the other fighting game characters, air-to-air combat is not something I see him being particularly good at.

- This is by no means a deal-breaker, but depending on how his whole kit works, he might be a little too dependent on setups for kills if the overwhelming majority of his moves are tailored for combo knockback instead of kills.

- I'd imagine the "actual Rage" state will give Kazuya boosted attack until he is KOed or he uses his Rage Art, so you'll have to decide between getting a quick lead or try to snowball as much as possible, at least until your opponent is on their last stock.

- Despite having his laser and wavedash, zoners will probably still be his toughest fights because those two things are the only things they really have to fear from him until he gets close. Probably does fine against swords, especially with hitboxes on moves like his Rising Toe Kick.

Firox

Smash Master
Aegis: You specifically meant Mythra is busted af, right? And you probably forgot Pyra existed the moment the former came in. Seriously everyone treated her as an afterthought, thinking Mythra would no doubt have setups to mitigate a supposed kill weakness. Well it turns out massive, hard-hitting disjoint coverage on a lithe, attractive body, even if they're a bit slow, can be quite daunting to deal with, and Blazing End is PK Fire on steroids. Also, Mythra's attack pressure isn't as suffocating as it looks at a glance.
lol It's absolutely hilarious how true this is. Sure enough, I almost exclusively ignored Pyra at first, thinking I could dominate with Mythra based on sheer overwhelming pressure alone. I've since evolved into using Mythra for early stock rushdown and now use Pyra at mid to high percents for killbot millage. I know a lot of the pros use Pyra even more than Mythra now but I haven't quite reached that point yet. As you say, Mythra's attack pressure turned out to be more overrated than people initially thought.

Ziodyne 21

Smash Lord
was wondering how parrying will Mythra. She already does not have the greatest safety or endlag on her airiels so parrying them can possibly lead to solid punishes or at least start putting pressure on her. Then again consistently parrying with her frame data and speed can be difficult

Last edited:

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Assuming he really moves just like he does in Tekken (which is what it really looks like)...

This character is gonna be the ground mobility god. I can't stress this enough, he's gonna dance on everyone and have very efficient microspacing and whiff punishes. It already seems he actually has his wavedash.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
I'm not too well versed on Tekken's fighting mechanics (I have seen gameplay footage and I somewhat have a basic understanding of the characters' background), but Kazuya's appeal as a "brawler with bad blood" could also attract fighting game character mains who want someone who's more "cool" (he definitely looks cooler to me than Ryu, Ken or Terry lol), kind of like how Sephiroth has his own appeal in the swordfighter archetype as a "bad boi swordie".

Definitely looking forward to how he plays regardless!

On a side note, is there any real "good guy" in Tekken? From what I'm seeing/hearing, Heihachi and Kazuya are bad to the bone, and Jin - while closes to being a "good guy" - has also done his own share of shady stuff. So would that just make Lars and Alisa the "good guys/girls" orrrr...?

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
lol It's absolutely hilarious how true this is. Sure enough, I almost exclusively ignored Pyra at first, thinking I could dominate with Mythra based on sheer overwhelming pressure alone. I've since evolved into using Mythra for early stock rushdown and now use Pyra at mid to high percents for killbot millage. I know a lot of the pros use Pyra even more than Mythra now but I haven't quite reached that point yet. As you say, Mythra's attack pressure turned out to be more overrated than people initially thought.
See, I don't really pay too much attention to opponent's percents to determine which Blade I'll be using in any given moment, it's more about the situation like the amount of stage control you have and what the opponent is trying to do. In many cases, Pyra can be prove to be just as, if not more efficient at racking damage than Mythra is. And oftentimes, before I even know it, the damage I've caused by exploiting openings with both goes up so much and so fast that suddenly Mythra's kill moves, which trade power for ease of landing, become more than enough to do the job.

Compare that to Pokemon Trainer who really wants to make a particular Pokemon work as long as possible, or at least until they can make an ideal opening for the next.

I'm not too well versed on Tekken's fighting mechanics (I have seen gameplay footage and I somewhat have a basic understanding of the characters' background), but Kazuya's appeal as a "brawler with bad blood" could also attract fighting game character mains who want someone who's more "cool" (he definitely looks cooler to me than Ryu, Ken or Terry lol), kind of like how Sephiroth has his own appeal in the swordfighter archetype as a "bad boi swordie".

On a side note, is there any real "good guy" in Tekken? From what I'm seeing/hearing, Heihachi and Kazuya are bad to the bone, and Jin - while closes to being a "good guy" - has also done his own share of shady stuff. So would that just make Lars and Alisa the "good guys" orrrr...?
There's no good (or at least heroic) guys in Tekken, only good girls and robots. Or both at the same time.

Assuming he really moves just like he does in Tekken (which is what it really looks like)...

This character is gonna be the ground mobility god. I can't stress this enough, he's gonna dance on everyone and have very efficient microspacing and whiff punishes. It already seems he actually has his wavedash.
He's precise in his ground movement, but let's not kid ourselves, he does not have Sonic or Little Mac speed. Speaking of the latter, he provides an interesting contrast where his much higher speed lets him whiff punish far more easily, but doesn't do too much with each opening comparitively, using a hit-and-run approach, while Kazuya has to be more methodical in his approach, but makes every opening count as much as possible.

The_Bookworm

Smash Master
Well SmashBoards just added a whole new heap of stock icons.
The Steve alts: :ultalex::ultzombie::ultenderman:
School Joker alt: :ultjokeralt:
Finally got Mythra: :ultmythra: (honestly not well implemented...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for me to talk/ramble about :ultkazuya:, because hoo-boy this character has a lot of moves.

I am going to try to analyze his trailer slowly but surely, see which moves are what, inferences on the character's potential attributes and mechanics, and maybe potential strengths and weaknesses.

Now you may be asking, "What is the point of this when we are going to get all the information in slightly less than two weeks?"
The answer: because I think it is fun. :upsidedown:
The stuff I am going to say is all with the idea that this may end up being completely wrong (there was definitely a few stuff I got wrong back when I speculated on the Steve trailer).
However, this may be the absolute most bonkers character to speculate considering how much stuff he has.

First off, before the actual analysis begins, can I begin to gush over the attention to detail this character has?
Pretty much all the normal visual effects on every character, is completely replaced with ones directly taken from Tekken, as well as the sound effects. Assuming it will be this way like in the trailer, but it seems like the Tekken announcer will be in his results screen as well.

The end result is that Kazuya looks like he is ripped straight from Tekken, and put into Ultimate, a feat that requires an immense amount of detail. We have characters in the past, especially ever since SSB4's DLC newcomers (+ Mega Man), that has their base game visual/audio effects sprinkled throughout their character, but Kazuya seems to take this to a whole new level.
I believe that this feeling of being ripped straight from the original game will translate into his attributes and moveset, for better and worse, but I will cover that later.

Now to the actual analysis.

For starters, lets see how many moves he has.
Not counting grabs and throws and other miscellaneous things (ledge attack, etc.), characters typically have a total of 17 moves (jab, dash attack, f-tilt, up tilt, d-tilt, f-smash, up smash, d-smash, nair, fair, up air, bair, dair, neutral special, side special, up special, down special).

According to the moves showcase alone, not counting the ones that are grab/throws (which is 4), there are a total of 28 moves shown, and that is not even all the moves he can do (reveal trailer exclusive moves + unrevealed moves).
The only character that exceeds this is Hero, with his normal 17 moves, plus 21 spells. However, his large collection of moves is gated behind Command Selection only showing 4 at a time and being RNG.
Due to the lack of Devil form or Rage state being shown in the moveset showcase, we can assume that Kazuya has access to these 28 moves at all times, plus a few of the other stuff that is missing.

Now here is the question: how in the world can they cram all of these moves into this character?
What is even more perplexing than simply the large amount of moves shown, is that most, if not all of them, seems like normals and not special moves.

So far the most popular theory behind this, and the reason I personally think so too, is that his "punch" buttons and "kick" buttons seems to be assigned to the A and B buttons, respectively. This is the perfect way to assign so many moves into one character, and explains why he still has empty move slots (at least according to the moves showcase), which also keeping the spirit of Tekken. Since there are a lot more punch buttons demonstrated in the trailers, I think punch is going to be the A button.
It would work similarly to our resident noodle girl herself, but amplified to the next degree since it seems that this applies to down special and potentially grounded up special as well.

Now for the fun activity of actually assigning the moves shown in the move showcase.
Disclaimer: while I do watch Tekken 7 from time to time, I don't actually play the game (or any traditional fighting game for that matter). Most of the knowledge regarding potential command inputs comes from researching the Tekken 7 version of some of his moves + learning terminology.

In Tekken, attacks are assigned to four buttons.
1 : Left Punch
2 : Right Punch
3 : Left Kick
4 : Right Kick

If the punch and kick button assignment theory is correct, then Ultimate is likely going to join Left Punch and Right Punch together into a single punch button, as well as Left Kick and Right Kick together into a single kick button. In other words, accommodating that Ultimate is a two button game as opposed to Tekken being a four button one.
There is one major issue with the button assignment theory, but that will be covered later. In the meantime, all the instances where the joined button inputs comes into play will be noted, blissfully unaware of the major issue.

I will be referring to punch moves in Ultimate terms as punch move (ex: punch down tilt) and kick move (ex: kick forward tilt).

Important thing to note: a lot of his command motions use the format of down -> down forward + attack, which is basically an incomplete qcf motion.
However, some of his command motions use the Crouch Dash format of f,N,d,d/f (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward). Similar to the Shoryuken command input, but you instead go to neutral before inputting down.
Learning this motion is key to playing Kazuya, not only for the sake of Crouch Dashing, but also for the sake of performing some of his best moves, namely Dragon Uppercut and Wind God Fist.

• Tsunami Kick: Seems similar to Ken's Oosoto Mawashi Geri (hcf + attack) in terms of appearance and functionality. Thus, this is likely a command input. In Tekken 7, the input of this move is d/f+4,4 (down forward + right kick -> right kick). Simple input.
  • Searing Edge: Seems like his kick forward air. Can be neutral air similar to Ken, but I think Kazuya kicks too far forward to be a nair.
  • Flash Punch Combo: The input of this move in Tekken 7 is 1,1,2 (left punch -> left punch -> right punch). As such, this is likely his punch forward tilt as a rekka like Bayo's f-tilt. Could be his jab combo, but Twin Pistons is the likely candidate for that.
  • Steel Pedal Drop: His back throw.
  • Flash Tornado: This may likely be his kick forward tilt. However, Tekken 7's command input for this move is b+4 (tap back + right kick), one of the very few back input moves he has (fortunately a very simple one), so that is a likely thing this move may be.
  • Nejiri Uraken: The input of this move in Tekken 7 is d+1+2 (tap down + left punch + right punch). In Ultimate, you likely just need to input punch once. Since the footage of this move already has Kazuya standing, this is a simple command input. Seems to be a move easy to get on accident.
  • Crouch Spin Kick: He doesn't have this move in Tekken 7, but I am assuming that this is kick down tilt.
  • Twin Pistons: The input of this move in Tekken 7 is WS+1,2 (while standing + left punch -> right punch). As such, this is likely his punch jabs, due to the original "while standing" requirement.
  • Sternum Smash: His pummel.
  • Jumping Sobat: His kick back air. Looks similar to the other FGC back airs.
  • Spinning Demon* to Left Hook: Also known as the Hellsweep. Due to it being a kick to punch combo, this move is very likely a command input. The input of this move is f,N,d,d/f+4,1 (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward + right kick -> left punch). It coincides with Crouch Dash's input, as such this move is likely used after performing one.
*Spinning Demon by itself is likely a move he can do. The input is f,N,d,d/f+4,4 (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward + right kick -> right kick), so the same as the Left Hook variation but you instead do another right kick input similar to Tsunami Kick.
  • Dragon Uppercut: The command input for this is f,N,d,d/f+1 (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward + left punch), so similar to Spinning Demon. Since Kazuya is seen doing a Crouch Dash just before using this move in the move showcase, which is when the move is usually used, we know that this is the case. Due to the lack of an additional input in the end, this move is easier than Spinning Demon.
  • Tombstone Crusher: This move's input in Tekken 7 is FC,d/f+3+4 (while crouching -> down forward + left kick + right kick). A simple command input, especially since you likely just need to input kick once in Ultimate.
  • Gates of Hell: Since you can see Kazuya lunge forward just before grabbing and automatically throwing the opponent, this is a command grab. The command input in Tekken 7 is FC,d/f,d,d/f+1+2 (while crouching -> down forward -> down -> down forward + left punch + right punch). You likely only need one punch input in the end. One of the trickier command inputs so far, so it is fitting that it is attached to a command grab.
  • Wind God Fist: By far the most fascinating and most head scratching move. The input of this move is f,N,d,d/f+2 (tap forward -> neutral -> tap down -> tap down -> tap forward + left punch). Notice something? It is the exact input as Dragon Uppercut, except it ends off using the other punch button. If the punch button - kick button theory is true, then Ultimate will have only one button for punch, and there you can see the issues here: this move directly conflicts with Dragon Uppercut. You can also see Kazuya perform a Crouch Dash before doing performing Wind God Fist, so this has to be a command input. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Also, no sign of the Electric Wind God Fist either, although more info on that will be revealed at a later time.
  • Crouch Jab: His punch down tilt.
  • Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kicks: The command input for this is u/f+4,4,4,4 (up forward + right kick, right kick (x3)). Good luck tap jump users for inputting this. lol I am one of those users.....
  • Rising Toe Kick: His kick up air. Does beg the question on where his recovery tools are.
  • Stature Smash: A command input as d/b+4 (down back + right kick). One of his only motion inputs that involve a back input, but thankfully an easy one. Trips opponents on hit, so potentially a powerful combo starter.
  • Crouch Dash: Essentially a set-point wavedash. For the Mishimas, it is performed with the command input in f,N,d,d/f (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward). Not only this is a great grounded movement tool, but the move directly leads into Spinning Demon, Dragon Uppercut, and Wind God Fist, some of his best moves. Seems to also have projectile invincibility according to the reveal trailer, as it passes through Ken's Hadoken cleanly. Currently unknown if it is just upper-body invincibility. An essential move to learn for Kazuya players.
  • Left Splits Kick: A simple command input of f,f+3 (tap forward -> tap forward + left kick). Similar to Flash Tornado, another contender for kick forward tilt.
  • Stonehead: Seems like a command grab, but according to the reveal trailer, this is simply his down throw.
  • Demon God Fist: In Tekken 7, this move is performed as WS+2 (while standing + right punch). This is another strange input, as it conflicts with Twin Pistons, as it is a WS+1,2 input. Another obstacle in the punch button - kick button theory. It forces crumple and in Devil form, he slides forward.
  • Oni Front Kick: In Tekken 7, this move is performed as f+3 (tap forward + left kick). Due to him briefly dashing forward before performing this, the command input is likely accurate for this move.
  • Double Face Kick: His forward throw.
  • Demon Scissors: Likely his kick down air.
  • Jump Side Kick: This move doesn't exist in Tekken 7, so idk. Kick forward smash maybe?
  • Demon's Wrath: This is a command input by b+3,1,4,1 (tap back + left kick -> left punch -> right kick -> left punch). The third, final back input command move, and the input is still rather simple.
  • Leaping Sidekick: The command in Tekken 7 is f,f,f+3 (tap forward -> tap forward -> tap forward + left kick). Similar to Left Splits Kick, but with an extra dash input. I think this move will end up being the kick dash attack.
  • Jumping Knuckle: His punch down air. Very identical to the other FGC down airs.
  • Air Inferno: His up throw. Seems to have a Devil form follow-up.
  • 10 Hit Combo: A long command input. The input in Tekken 7 is f,f,N,2,1,2,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 (tap forward -> tap forward -> neutral -> right punch -> left punch -> right punch -> right punch -> left kick -> right kick -> right kick -> left kick -> right punch -> left punch). In other words, punch (x4) -> kick (x4) -> punch (x2).
Feel free to correct/input some stuff related to this. The Dragon Uppercut vs Wind God Fist thing is going to hurt my brain thinking about it.

tl:Dr about his moveset, he has a lot of command inputs. However, a lot of them seems to be not too complicated, with a lot of them being easier to perform than some of the command the Shotos and Terry have. The lack of backwards motions and inputs, only being very few and very simple, is part why I feel this way. I think the sheer amount of them is going to be the biggest hurdle.

While the punch button & kick button theory has a lot of merit, the Dragon Uppercut and Wind God Fist contradictions is by far the biggest obstacle behind this theory, as well as some minor stuff. Unless I am not seeing something, this is a question that will be only answered in the showcase at the 28th.

From this point forward, I am going to lean towards the reveal trailer, as seen here. The moves showcase later on has (almost) all the trailer moves covered, in terms of normal Kazuya.

Now there are two major mechanics behind Kazuya besides the special inputs: Devil form and Rage.

Rage is simple. Once he gets to a high percent, Kazuya's Rage activates and thus will obtain a damage boost. Not sure if this stacks with Ultimate's universal rage mechanic, that we will have to wait and see. As shown in the trailer, he has his Rage Art. Since Rage Drive is not in the trailer, I am not going to assume it is in the game, and just refer to Rage Art.
  • Rage Art. A single-use special move. This can be seen near the end of the reveal trailer, with Kazuya using it on Incineroar. Notice that he goes into Devil mode when he does that. The input of Rage Art in Tekken 7 is d/f+1+2 (down forward + left punch + right punch), a pretty simple input for good returns. However, using the Rage Art will end Kazuya's Rage status, regardless if it hits or whiffs, so use with caution.
Devil Kazuya is an interesting one. One theory is that he obtains this form by KO'ing opponents or as a comeback factor. However, he deactivates this form immediately after using his moves, and the moves shown by the devil form, with one exception, are not used by normal form. As such, I believe this form is purely cosmetic and he simply goes to this form in certain moves.
  • Punch Down Smash: He has a spiking down smash with this move, used on Inkling.
  • Punch Forward Smash: A forward punch with considerable startup, but with good distance and power. Used twice, once on ZSS and then with the Devil assist trophy in the background.
  • Punch Up Smash: An uppercut that narrowly whiffs on Donkey Kong. He used a couching kick (not seen in the moves showcase) as normal Kazuya prior to using the up smash, which brings further validation on the theory.
  • Demon God Fist: The exception I mentioned earlier. However, benefitting from the name, this could simply be a stronger variation of the same move. Note the the original move has a simple input of WS+2 (while standing + right punch), so having a stronger variation is very easy to implement. It is the first move shown, used on Snake.
  • Taunt: The roar in Devil form first immediately shown is one of his taunts.
  • Inferno: He turns into his Devil form to shoot a beam projectile. It has the input of 1+2 in Tekken 7 while in Devil form. The only other move that share this input is Acute Pain, a move not shown in any trailer so far.
  • Jumps: Kazuya's full hop and double jump seems to utilize his Devil form, giving him great boosts in height. Now it is possible for the full hop part to be another move, but we won't know for sure.

Now speculation on attributes and how the moves shown off so far get into how he plays.
  • 1v1 turnaround: He seems to have the 1v1 turnaround mechanic the Shotos and Terry have, at least from what I saw. It is not quite as impactful on Kazuya since he doesn't have much of any backwards input moves, with the few he has being very simple and easy with very little motion required, but it can still be helpful on executing stuff.
  • Dash: The only time we really see his dash is when he got the Rage status near the end of the trailer. He seems to have solid enough dash speed, although of course we don't have much info outside of that.
  • Crouch Dash: This move gives him a layer ground mobility no one in the cast has access to, and is a huge feature for the character, even if the input can be finicky. He went through Ken's projectile, so we at least knows it gives him some layer of protection on top of all that. However, it seems to be a set-distance wavedash of some kind, so Crouch Dashing seems to be not the best microspacing option we have seen in the Smash series, but it is regardless an option, which is something Ultimate's cast lacks.
  • In the air: We haven't seen him move around in the air that much, but from the few instances we have seen him in the air, his air mobility already reeks of mediocrity. The character as a whole seems like a grounded-based fighter.
  • Recovery?: We don't see a recovery move from him. Unless the full hop-esque thing Devil Kazuya did is the recovery move (which I don't think so), the effectiveness of his recovery remains a mystery.
  • Frame Data: Not sure if it is just me, but his frame data doesn't seem to be very impressive. A lot of his moves seem to have a lot of startup for Ultimate standards. The cooldown on some of them are surprisingly low, but there are some moves that have some notable cooldown as well. This is the main part where I think being super faithful to Tekken can be a hinderance, as traditional fighting game frame data tends to be notably higher in frames than in the Smash series. We will see if that will wring true.
  • Hitboxes: On the plus side, this character has some gnarly hitboxes. The fancy hit sphere visual effect doesn't seem to be just for show, as his hitboxes seem to stretch as far to where they would show up on hit. This gives the character some deceptive disjointed reach on pretty much all of his moves. Dragon Uppercut has by far my favorite instance of this being shown into effect.
  • Whiff Punishing / Combo Starters / KO Confirms: The character has a lot of whiff punishing potential thanks to his Crouch Dashing exclusive moves, large hitboxes, and moves that close the gap a considerable amount. Wind God Fist seems to be a natural combo move, while Stature Smash and Demon God Fist forces trip and crumple, respectively, which may give him a KO confirm into his Smash attacks, Demon Uppercut, or 10-hit combo. As such, the character's options when it comes to that is very impressive, although this something the FGC characters have to bring as well. However, he seems to do whiff punishing better than the other FGC characters, which is notable strength of him.
  • Comeback Factor: It is to be determined if Devil Kazuya is indeed a comeback factor or not, but if it is, it doesn't seem to give too many benefits. It is currently unknown how much of a benefit the Rage status will give him. For Rage Arts, having an additional move that functions as a trump card is cool, although it is limited by its one time use that ends the Rage status. Even without knowing much about the Rage Art itself (unless it turns out to be KO at 50% levels of strong), we can tell that it isn't going to be quite as potent as Terry being able to use his powerful "Go" whenever he wants willy-nilly. Overall, judging from what we see so far, Kazuya's comeback factors doesn't seem to be very impressive in comparison to other comeback factors in the game.

Kazuya is going to be one of the most mechanically intense characters in the roster. A lot of what I said is under the assumption that command inputs and mechanics is with the knowledge I gathered from Tekken 7, but it is also equally as likely that it will get changed in Ultimate.

I recognize the holes within my logic, especially regarding how moves are going to be assigned to, but considering the pure amount of moves shown in the trailer with a lot of moves whos inputs are directly conflicting my merely existing in a 2-button attack game like Ultimate, it is understandable. The more I dive deep into this sort of thing, the more questions pop-up in my head.
All I hope is that the four button command scheme of Tekken doesn't turn into light punch button for left punch and hard punch button for right punch. That would make the character a nightmare to play as.

As a character, he seems to be a character that focuses heavily on grounded-based footsies, between his movement and grounded-focused moveset. He has some disgustingly disjointed hitboxes within his moves. However, his frame data (especially for his archetype) and air mobility both seem to be not very good, which are both huge weaknesses to note.
Outside of inferences of how he plays, that is all the assessment that can be given at this moment. It would be a fool's errand to give him any sort of assessment of how good he is, so I will leave it at that.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now for me to talk/ramble about :ultkazuya:, because hoo-boy this character has a lot of moves.

I am going to try to analyze his trailer slowly but surely, see which moves are what, inferences on the character's potential attributes and mechanics, and maybe potential strengths and weaknesses.

Now you may be asking, "What is the point of this when we are going to get all the information in slightly less than two weeks?"
The stuff I am going to say is all with the idea that this may end up being completely wrong (there was definitely a few stuff I got wrong back when I speculated on the Steve trailer).
However, this may be the absolute most bonkers character to speculate considering how much stuff he has.

First off, before the actual analysis begins, can I begin to gush over the attention to detail this character has?
Pretty much all the normal visual effects on every character, is completely replaced with ones directly taken from Tekken, as well as the sound effects. Assuming it will be this way like in the trailer, but it seems like the Tekken announcer will be in his results screen as well.

The end result is that Kazuya looks like he is ripped straight from Tekken, and put into Ultimate, a feat that requires an immense amount of detail. We have characters in the past, especially ever since SSB4's DLC newcomers (+ Mega Man), that has their base game visual/audio effects sprinkled throughout their character, but Kazuya seems to take this to a whole new level.
I believe that this feeling of being ripped straight from will translate into his attributes and moveset, for better and worse, but I will cover that later.

Not counting grabs and throws and other miscellaneous things (ledge attack, etc.), characters typically have a total of 16 moves (jab, f-tilt, up tilt, d-tilt, f-smash, up smash, d-smash, nair, fair, up air, bair, dair, neutral special, side special, up special, down special).

According to the moves showcase alone, not counting the ones that are grab/throws (which is 4), there are a total of 28 moves shown, and that is not even all the moves he can do (reveal trailer exclusive moves + unrevealed moves).
The only character that exceeds this is Hero, with his normal 16 moves, plus 21 spells. However, his large collection of moves is gated behind Command Selection only showing 4 at a time and being RNG.
Due to the lack of Devil form or Rage state being shown in the moveset showcase, we can assume that Kazuya has access to these 28 moves at all times, plus a few of the other stuff that is missing.

Now here is the question: how in the world can they cram all of these moves into this character?
What is even more perplexing than simply the large amount of moves shown, is that most, if not all of them, seems like normals and not special moves.

So far the most popular theory behind this, and the reason I personally think so too, is that his "punch" buttons and "kick" buttons seems to be assigned to the A and B buttons, respectively. This is the perfect way to assign so many moves into one character, and explains why he still has empty move slots (at least according to the moves showcase), which also keeping the spirit of Tekken. Since there are a lot more punch buttons demonstrated in the trailers, I think punch is going to be the A button.
It would work similarly to our resident noodle girl herself, but amplified to the next degree since it seems that this applies to down special and potentially grounded up special as well.

Now for the fun activity of actually assigning the moves shown in the move showcase.
Disclaimer: while I do watch Tekken 7 from time to time, I don't actually play the game (or any traditional fighting game for that matter). Most of the knowledge regarding potential command inputs comes from researching the Tekken 7 version of some of his moves + learning terminology.

If the punch and kick button assignment theory is correct, then Ultimate is likely going to join Left Punch and Right Punch together into a single punch button, as well as Left Kick and Right Kick together into a single kick button. In other words, accommodating that Ultimate is a two button game as opposed to Tekken being a four button one.
There is one major issue with the button assignment theory, but that will be covered later. In the meantime, all the instances where the joined button inputs comes into play will be noted, blissfully unaware of the major issue.

I will be referring to punch moves in Ultimate terms as punch move (ex: punch down tilt) and kick move (ex: kick forward tilt).

Important thing to note: a lot of his command motions use the format of down -> down forward + attack, which is basically an incomplete qcf motion.
However, some of his command motions use the Crouch Dash format of f,N,d,d/f (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward). Similar to the Shoryuken command input, but you instead go to neutral before inputting down.
Learning this motion is key to playing Kazuya, not only for the sake of Crouch Dashing, but also for the sake of performing some of his best moves, namely Dragon Uppercut and Wind God Fist.

• Tsunami Kick: Seems similar to Ken's Oosoto Mawashi Geri (hcf + attack) in terms of appearance and functionality. Thus, this is likely a command input. In Tekken 7, the input of this move is d/f+4,4 (down forward + right kick -> right kick). Simple input.
  • Searing Edge: Seems like his kick forward air. Can be neutral air similar to Ken, but I think Kazuya kicks too far forward to be a nair.
  • Flash Punch Combo: The input of this move in Tekken 7 is 1,1,2 (left punch -> left punch -> right punch). As such, this is likely his punch forward tilt as a rekka like Bayo's f-tilt. Could be his jab combo, but Twin Pistons is the likely candidate for that.
  • Flash Tornado: This may likely be his kick forward tilt. However, Tekken 7's command input for this move is b+4 (tap back + right kick), one of the very few back input moves he has (fortunately a very simple one), so that is a likely thing this move may be.
  • Nejiri Uraken: The input of this move in Tekken 7 is d+1+2 (tap down + left punch + right punch). In Ultimate, you likely just need to input punch once. Since the footage of this move already has Kazuya standing, this is a simple command input. Seems to be a move easy to get on accident.
  • Crouch Spin Kick: He doesn't have this move in Tekken 7, but I am assuming that this is kick down tilt.
  • Twin Pistons: The input of this move in Tekken 7 is WS+1,2 (while standing + left punch -> right punch). As such, this is likely his punch jabs, due to the original "while standing" requirement.
  • Spinning Demon* to Left Hook: Also known as the Hellsweep. Due to it being a kick to punch combo, this move is very likely a command input. The input of this move is f,N,d,d/f+4,1 (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward + right kick -> left punch). It coincides with Crouch Dash's input, as such this move is likely used after performing one.
*Spinning Demon by itself is likely a move he can do. The input is f,N,d,d/f+4,4 (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward + right kick -> right kick), so the same as the Left Hook variation but you instead do another right kick input similar to Tsunami Kick.
  • Dragon Uppercut: The command input for this is f,N,d,d/f+1 (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward + left punch), so similar to Spinning Demon. Since Kazuya is seen doing a Crouch Dash just before using this move in the move showcase, which is when the move is usually used, we know that this is the case. Due to the lack of an additional input in the end, this move is easier than Spinning Demon.
  • Tombstone Crusher: This move's input in Tekken 7 is FC,d/f+3+4 (while crouching -> down forward + left kick + right kick). A simple command input, especially since you likely just need to input kick once in Ultimate.
  • Gates of Hell: Since you can see Kazuya lunge forward just before grabbing and automatically throwing the opponent, this is a command grab. The command input in Tekken 7 is FC,d/f,d,d/f+1+2 (while crouching -> down forward -> down -> down forward + left punch + right punch). You likely only need one punch input in the end. One of the trickier command inputs so far, so it is fitting that it is attached to a command grab.
  • Wind God Fist: By far the most fascinating and most head scratching move. The input of this move is f,N,d,d/f+2 (tap forward -> neutral -> tap down -> tap down -> tap forward + left punch). Notice something? It is the exact input as Dragon Uppercut, except it ends off using the other punch button. If the punch button - kick button theory is true, then Ultimate will have only one button for punch, and there you can see the issues here: this move directly conflicts with Dragon Uppercut. You can also see Kazuya perform a Crouch Dash before doing performing Wind God Fist, so this has to be a command input. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Also, no sign of the Electric Wind God Fist either, although more info on that will be revealed at a later time.
  • Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kicks: The command input for this is u/f+4,4,4,4 (up forward + right kick, right kick (x3)). Good luck tap jump users for inputting this. lol I am one of those users.....
  • Rising Toe Kick: His kick up air. Does beg the question on where his recovery tools are.
  • Stature Smash: A command input as d/b+4 (down back + right kick). One of his only motion inputs that involve a back input, but thankfully an easy one. Trips opponents on hit, so potentially a powerful combo starter.
  • Crouch Dash: Essentially a set-point wavedash. For the Mishimas, it is performed with the command input in f,N,d,d/f (tap forward -> neutral -> down -> down forward). Not only this is a great grounded movement tool, but the move directly leads into Spinning Demon, Dragon Uppercut, and Wind God Fist, some of his best moves. Seems to also have projectile invincibility according to the reveal trailer, as it passes through Ken's Hadoken cleanly. Currently unknown if it is just upper-body invincibility. An essential move to learn for Kazuya players.
  • Left Splits Kick: A simple command input of f,f+3 (tap forward -> tap forward + left kick). Similar to Flash Tornado, another contender for kick forward tilt.
  • Stonehead: Seems like a command grab, but according to the reveal trailer, this is simply his down throw.
  • Demon God Fist: In Tekken 7, this move is performed as WS+2 (while standing + right punch). This is another strange input, as it conflicts with Twin Pistons, as it is a WS+1,2 input. Another obstacle in the punch button - kick button theory. It forces crumple and in Devil form, he slides forward.
  • Oni Front Kick: In Tekken 7, this move is performed as f+3 (tap forward + left kick). Due to him briefly dashing forward before performing this, the command input is likely accurate for this move.
  • Jump Side Kick: This move doesn't exist in Tekken 7, so idk. Kick forward smash maybe?
  • Demon's Wrath: This is a command input by b+3,1,4,1 (tap back + left kick -> left punch -> right kick -> left punch). The third, final back input command move, and the input is still rather simple.
  • Leaping Sidekick: The command in Tekken 7 is f,f,f+3 (tap forward -> tap forward -> tap forward + left kick). Similar to Left Splits Kick, but with an extra dash input. I think this move will end up being the kick dash attack.
  • Jumping Knuckle: His punch down air. Very identical to the other FGC down airs.
  • 10 Hit Combo: A long command input. The input in Tekken 7 is f,f,N,2,1,2,2,3,4,4,3,2,1 (tap forward -> tap forward -> neutral -> right punch -> left punch -> right punch -> right punch -> left kick -> right kick -> right kick -> left kick -> right punch -> left punch). In other words, punch (x4) -> kick (x4) -> punch (x2).
Feel free to correct/input some stuff related to this. The Dragon Uppercut vs Wind God Fist thing is going to hurt my brain thinking about it.

tl:Dr about his moveset, he has a lot of command inputs. However, a lot of them seems to be not too complicated, with a lot of them being easier to perform than some of the command the Shotos and Terry have. The lack of backwards motions and inputs, only being very few and very simple, is part why I feel this way. I think the sheer amount of them is going to be the biggest hurdle.

While the punch button & kick button theory has a lot of merit, the Dragon Uppercut and Wind God Fist contradictions is by far the biggest obstacle behind this theory, as well as some minor stuff. Unless I am not seeing something, this is a question that will be only answered in the showcase at the 28th.

From this point forward, I am going to lean towards the reveal trailer, as seen here. The moves showcase later on has (almost) all the trailer moves covered, in terms of normal Kazuya.

Now there are two major mechanics behind Kazuya besides the special inputs: Devil form and Rage.

Rage is simple. Once he gets to a high percent, Kazuya's Rage activates and thus will obtain a damage boost. Not sure if this stacks with Ultimate's universal rage mechanic, that we will have to wait and see. As shown in the trailer, he has his Rage Art. Since Rage Drive is not in the trailer, I am not going to assume it is in the game, and just refer to Rage Art.
  • Rage Art. A single-use special move. This can be seen near the end of the reveal trailer, with Kazuya using it on Incineroar. Notice that he goes into Devil mode when he does that. The input of Rage Art in Tekken 7 is d/f+1+2 (down forward + left punch + right punch), a pretty simple input for good returns. However, using the Rage Art will end Kazuya's Rage status, so use with caution.
Devil Kazuya is an interesting one. One theory is that he obtains this form by KO'ing opponents or as a comeback factor. However, he deactivates this form immediately after using his moves, and the moves shown by the devil form, with one exception, are not used by normal form. As such, I believe this form is purely cosmetic and he simply goes to this form in certain moves.
  • Punch Down Smash: He has a spiking down smash with this move, used on Inkling.
  • Punch Forward Smash: A forward punch with considerable startup, but with good distance and power. Used twice, once on ZSS and then with the Devil assist trophy in the background.
  • Punch Up Smash: An uppercut that narrowly whiffs on Donkey Kong. He used a couching kick (not seen in the moves showcase) as normal Kazuya prior to using the up smash, which brings further validation on the theory.
  • Demon God Fist: The exception I mentioned earlier. However, benefitting from the name, this could simply be a stronger variation of the same move. Note the the original move has a simple input of WS+2 (while standing + right punch), so having a stronger variation is very easy to implement. It is the first move shown, used on Snake.
  • Inferno: He turns into his Devil form to shoot a beam projectile. It has the input of 1+2 in Tekken 7 while in Devil form. The only other move that share this input is Acute Pain, a move not shown in any trailer so far.
  • Jumps: Kazuya's full hop and double jump seems to utilize his Devil form, giving him great boosts in height. Now it is possible for the full hop part to be another move, but we won't know for sure.

Now speculation on attributes and how the moves shown off so far get into how he plays.
  • 1v1 multiplier: He seems to have the 1v1 multiplier the Shotos and Terry have, at least from what I saw. It is not quite as impactful on Kazuya since he doesn't have much of any backwards input moves, with the few he has being very simple and easy with very little motion required, but it can still be helpful on executing stuff.
  • Dash: The only time we really see his dash is when he got the Rage status near the end of the trailer. He seems to have solid enough dash speed, although of course we don't have much info outside of that.
  • Crouch Dash: This move gives him a layer ground mobility no one in the cast has access to, and is a huge feature for the character, even if the input can be finicky. He went through Ken's projectile, so we at least knows it gives him some layer of protection on top of all that. However, it seems to be a set-distance wavedash of some kind, so Crouch Dashing seems to be not the best microspacing option we have seen in the Smash series, but it is regardless an option, which is something Ultimate's cast lacks.
  • In the air: We haven't seen him move around in the air that much, but from the few instances we have seen him in the air, his air mobility already reeks of mediocrity. The character as a whole seems like a grounded-based fighter.
  • Recovery?: We don't see a recovery move from him. Unless the full hop-esque thing Devil Kazuya did is the recovery move (which I don't think so), the effectiveness of his recovery remains a mystery.
  • Frame Data: Not sure if it is just me, but his frame data doesn't seem to be very impressive. A lot of his moves seem to have a lot of startup for Ultimate standards. The cooldown on some of them are surprisingly low, but there are some moves that have some notable cooldown as well. This is the main part where I think being super faithful to Tekken can be a hinderance, as traditional fighting game frame data tends to be notably higher in frames than in the Smash series. We will see if that will wring true.
  • Hitboxes: On the plus side, this character has some gnarly hitboxes. The fancy hit sphere visual effect doesn't seem to be just for show, as his hitboxes seem to stretch as far to where they would show up on hit. This gives the character some deceptive disjointed reach on pretty much all of his moves. Dragon Uppercut has by far my favorite instance of this being shown into effect.
  • Whiff Punishing / Combo Starters / KO Confirms: The character has a lot of whiff punishing potential thanks to his Crouch Dashing exclusive moves, large hitboxes, and moves that close the gap a considerable amount. Wind God Fist seems to be a natural combo move, while Stature Smash and Demon God Fist forces trip and crumple, respectively, which may give him a KO confirm into his Smash attacks, Demon Uppercut, or 10-hit combo. As such, the character's options when it comes to that is very impressive, although this something the FGC characters have to bring as well. However, he seems to do whiff punishing better than the other FGC characters, which is notable strength of him.
  • Comeback Factor: It is to be determined if Devil Kazuya is indeed a comeback factor or not, but if it is, it doesn't seem to give too many benefits. It is currently unknown how much of a benefit the Rage status will give him. For Rage Arts, having an additional move that functions as a trump card is cool, although it is limited by its one time use that ends the Rage status. Even without knowing much about the Rage Art itself (unless it turns out to be KO at 50% levels of strong), we can tell that it isn't going to be quite as potent as Terry being able to use his powerful "Go" whenever he wants willy-nilly. Overall, judging from what we see so far, Kazuya's comeback factors doesn't seem to be very impressive in comparison to other comeback factors in the game.

Kazuya is going to be one of the most mechanically intense characters in the roster. A lot of what I said is under the assumption that command inputs and mechanics is with the knowledge I gathered from Tekken 7, but it is also equally as likely that it will get changed in Ultimate.

I recognize the holes within my logic, especially regarding how moves are going to be assigned to, but considering the pure amount of moves shown in the trailer with a lot of moves whos inputs are directly conflicting my merely existing in a 2-button attack game like Ultimate, it is understandable. The more I dive deep into this sort of thing, the more questions pop-up in my head.
All I hope is that the four button command scheme of Tekken doesn't turn into light punch button for left punch and hard punch button for right punch. That would make the character a nightmare to play as.

As a character, he seems to be a character that focuses heavily on grounded-based footsies, between his movement and grounded-focused moveset. He has some disgustingly disjointed hitboxes within his moves. However, his frame data (especially for his archetype) and air mobility both seem to be not very good, which are both huge weaknesses to note.
Outside of inferences of how he plays, that is all the assessment that can be given at this moment. It would be a fool's errand to give him any sort of assessment of how good he is, so I will leave it at that.
Two things: command inputs could come from earlier titles than 7 as default Kazuya's outfit is actually from 4 if I heard correctly, and outside of the most powerful or unusual of his moves, I don't really see them going that crazy with inputs. Heihachi in PSAS did no such thing after all but still managed to do fairly well in capturing his essence. And he also clearly separated punch and kick moves between buttons, so there is precedence.

Maybe they'll mix that punch/kick button setup with tap/hold settings to separate quicker and heavier attacks.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

I believe that this feeling of being ripped straight from will translate into his attributes and moveset, for better and worse, but I will cover that later.

Not counting grabs and throws and other miscellaneous things (ledge attack, etc.), characters typically have a total of 16 moves (jab, f-tilt, up tilt, d-tilt, f-smash, up smash, d-smash, nair, fair, up air, bair, dair, neutral special, side special, up special, down special).

The only character that exceeds this is Hero, with his normal 16 moves, plus 21 spells. However, his large collection of moves is gated behind Command Selection only showing 4 at a time and being RNG.

• Rage Art. A single-use special move. This can be seen near the end of the reveal trailer, with Kazuya using it on Incineroar. Notice that he goes into Devil mode when he does that. The input of Rage Art in Tekken 7 is d/f+1+2 (down forward + left punch + right punch), a pretty simple input for good returns. However, using the Rage Art will end Kazuya's Rage status, so use with caution.

• 1v1 multiplier: He seems to have the 1v1 multiplier the Shotos and Terry have, at least from what I saw. It is not quite as impactful on Kazuya since he doesn't have much of any backwards input moves, with the few he has being very simple and easy with very little motion required, but it can still be helpful on executing stuff.

I see your point about overlapping commands. It's possible if A and B are indeed Punch and Kick that they'll use hybrids of movesets from previous iterations of Tekken. For example f, ,d,d/f A for wgf and f,f A for dragon punch. Or sneakier still f, ,d,d/f,f+A ... Heh there's a lot of ways it could get silly fast though.
.edit ninja is edit

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
篝火 #4 / Kagarib... | Attendees (smash.gg)

Huge offline Japanese Major next week with 383 entrants and counting (Not sure if there's a cap)

Every set is B05 (When I mean every set I mean EVERY set including pools)

Notables

Zackray:ultjoker::ultrob::ultwario:
Tea:ultpacman:
Kameme:ultmegaman::ultsephiroth::ultsheik:
Shuton:ultolimar::ultpyra:
Atelier:ultpokemontrainer::ultwolf:
Akakikisu:ulthero4:
KEN:ultsonic:
Abadango:ultpalutena::ultpikachu:
Kome:ultshulk:
Protobanham:ultminmin:ultlucina:
Lea:ultgreninja::ultsephiroth:
Choco:ultzss:
Nietono:ultpichu:
Gackt:ultness:
Umeki:ultdaisy:
Raito:ultduckhunt::ultbanjokazooie:
Paseriman:ultfox::ultdiddy:
Etsuji:ultpikachu::ultdiddy:
HIKARU:ultroy::ultdk::ultpokemontrainer:
Kirihara:ultrosalina:
Shky:ultzss:
Tsu:ult_terry::ultlucario::ultbrawler::ultpyra:
Eim:ultsheik::ultjoker:
TK3:ultchrom::ultroy:
Yuzu:ultrosalina::ultpichu:
Takara:ultken:
Kuro:ultzss:
Yoshidora:ultyoshi:
Jagaimo:ultpalutena:
Kept:ultvillager::ultisabelle:
Lunamado:ultbowser::ultluigi:
MASA:ultfalco:
Sigma:ulttoonlink:
LV1:ulttoonlink:
Rotsuku:ultyoshi:
harasen:ulticeclimbers:
MAO:ultminmin:ultroy::ultlucina:
ly:ultcorrinf:
Repo:ultmegaman:
Jogibu:ultfalcon:
Suinoko:ultyounglink:
RAIN:ultjoker:
YOC:ultcloud:
TKM:ultpeach:
akasa:ultpalutena:
kisa:ultpikachu:
taranito:ultness:
FILIP:ultfalco::ultmario:
Fuwa:ulticeclimbers:
KaPMK:ultmetaknight::ultjoker:
Arika:ultjigglypuff:

Only 2 Japanese players on the last PGR not registered

T:ultlink:
Ron:ultyoshi::ultmario:

Last edited:

Kokiden

Smash Ace
I think people underestimated Joker, if you look back at the actual reactions. While there was some Day 1 talk about bair being wild, on the whole there was a pretty big gap between Day 1 Joker expectations and what MKLeo had built 2 months later.
I remember people were yelling at me on another forum for being dumb when I said Joker was top tier Day 1. I could tell he was a top tier character straight way, but the ones who were yelling said he was mid because of his recovery.

That being said, he's great offline but online I find him to be quite terrible. Me being a terrible player on top of that just makes it worse lol.

That would be me. I am the "less technical Joker" player who is just plain awful at the game lol.

It could be because I'm old now... so my reflexes and everything else isn't what it used to be... I used to tear **** up back in the melee days/when I was younger but now? I'm getting destroyed online. That or I'm just extremely inconsistent.

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Here's one thing to think about when it comes to Kazuya: while the FG characters take influence from across their respective series, they're often primarily based on one iconic game in particular.

Ryu and Ken are Super Street Fighter II Turbo, from the sound effects to the hcf input for Shakunetsu. Makes sense, as it's the final version of the game that made SF big.

Terry is a more even mix, but is mostly Fatal Fury 2 or Fatal Fury Special (where supers are accessible at low health instead of from a meter).

So what about Kazuya? I know relatively little about Tekken, and it seems like every game has people claiming it's THE definitive Tekken. My initial amateur impression is that he's mostly Tekken 7, but I'm curious if any actual Tekken players could see whether any one game in particular has more of an influence.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So what about Kazuya? I know relatively little about Tekken, and it seems like every game has people claiming it's THE definitive Tekken. My initial amateur impression is that he's mostly Tekken 7, but I'm curious if any actual Tekken players could see whether any one game in particular has more of an influence
With his hitsounds and devil transformation, he seems to be based on Tekken 7.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

Not counting grabs and throws and other miscellaneous things (ledge attack, etc.), characters typically have a total of 17 moves (jab, dash attack, f-tilt, up tilt, d-tilt, f-smash, up smash, d-smash, nair, fair, up air, bair, dair, neutral special, side special, up special, down special).

The only character that exceeds this is Hero, with his normal 17 moves, plus 21 spells. However, his large collection of moves is gated behind Command Selection only showing 4 at a time and being RNG.

A well done analysis but I would like to interject on one point. Kazuya used his Rage Drive and not his Rage Art on Incineroar. The Final Smash uses a move that was available in the story mode of Tekken, it looks similar but it's not the actual Rage Art we see Kazuya typically use in matches. So for all intents and purposes Kazuya's normal Rage Art hasn't been shown yet.

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
The narrator who did Kazuya's "Get ready for the next battle!" and "Kazuya wins" lines also sounds really similar to the one in Tekken 7, so it's possible this version of Kazuya's from the most recent installment.

Which kind of makes it funny comparing him to Ryu and Ken given those two are primarily based off their SF2 versions as opposed to their most current game (moreso Ken than Ryu anyway).

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
So what about Kazuya? I know relatively little about Tekken, and it seems like every game has people claiming it's THE definitive Tekken. My initial amateur impression is that he's mostly Tekken 7, but I'm curious if any actual Tekken players could see whether any one game in particular has more of an influence.
Tekken 7 is doing very well, with unusually strong sustained sales. It is closing in on Tekken 3, the best selling game in the series (a PS1 title), and may or may not catch it depending on just how much gas is left in the tank.

But Tekken 3 predates the modern competitive fighting game environment, without bringing as much of its own legacy like SF2. A better impression showing the impact of Tekken 7 might be...

Tekken Tag Tournament: 3 EVOs
Tekken 4: 2 EVOs
Tekken 5: 2 EVOs
Tekken 5 DR: 2 EVOs
Tekken 6: 2 EVOs
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: 2 EVOs
Tekken 7: 5 EVOs (despite 2020 being cancelled), plus EVO 2021, and still going

Edit: Tekken 7 has also uniquely inceased entrant numbers every year at all 5 EVOs, while other games have almost always gone down.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
The narrator who did Kazuya's "Get ready for the next battle!" and "Kazuya wins" lines also sounds really similar to the one in Tekken 7, so it's possible this version of Kazuya's from the most recent installment.

Which kind of makes it funny comparing him to Ryu and Ken given those two are primarily based off their SF2 versions as opposed to their most current game (moreso Ken than Ryu anyway).
I mean it's more than that, Kazuya in Smash his:

Tekken 7 alt costume
the Rage mechanic
the Rage Drive
Tekken 7's version of the Mishima dojo
the final smash is shot for shot a recreation of Tekken 7's ending...

heck even his trailer has them dropping characters directly into lava, a Tekken 7 story thing.

Last edited:

KirbySquad101

Smash Ace
True.... though I thought the whole "dropping people into volcanos" was a motif throughout the entire series lol.

A-Anyway, Mainstage has returned and is set to hit the stage on November 12th! Mainstage 2021 | Attendees (smash.gg)

Big names like Tweek, Maister, Marss, Lui$, Fatality, Ned, LeoN, and Riddles have already signed up for it.

SKX31

Smash Master

On a side note, is there any real "good guy" in Tekken? From what I'm seeing/hearing, Heihachi and Kazuya are bad to the bone, and Jin - while closes to being a "good guy" - has also done his own share of shady stuff. So would that just make Lars and Alisa the "good guys/girls" orrrr...?
There's no good (or at least heroic) guys in Tekken, only good girls and robots. Or both at the same time.

He's precise in his ground movement, but let's not kid ourselves, he does not have Sonic or Little Mac speed. Speaking of the latter, he provides an interesting contrast where his much higher speed lets him whiff punish far more easily, but doesn't do too much with each opening comparitively, using a hit-and-run approach, while Kazuya has to be more methodical in his approach, but makes every opening count as much as possible.
King (II) is the closest to a "heroic" good guy if you ask me, since he's genuinely nice. And even then he came close to murdering Marduk since he had killed King II's mentor Armor King I - he only stopped when he saw a picture of Marduk's family and realized that revenge would not solve anything.

Anywho, I'll still be very interested in seeing how Kazuya fares vs. characters that have a quick escape option (:ultshulk: 's Shield switching, :ultgnw: 's Up B, etc.). While it's certainly possible that the 10-hit is true on both of them (and other such cases like Snake's Grenade) it may be something that Kazuya will have to be mindful of still due to his general playstyle leaning towards reacting and whiff-punishing.

Also, since quite a few attacks seem to trip it really looks like MUs vs. characters that also rely alot on that (Diddy for example) will be really interesting. That might be a difficult MU (depending on the specifics, yes) since Diddy players are not going to approach on the ground ever and instead just look to engage in a non-commital neutral.

Last edited:

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I do feel that Kazuya will have more in common with Little Mac than with the shotos.

It is the exact input as Dragon Uppercut, except it ends off using the other punch button. If the punch button - kick button theory is true, then Ultimate will have only one button for punch, and there you can see the issues here: this move directly conflicts with Dragon Uppercut. You can also see Kazuya perform a Crouch Dash before doing performing Wind God Fist, so this has to be a command input. Does anyone have any suggestions about this? Also, no sign of the Electric Wind God Fist either, although more info on that will be revealed at a later time.
Fantastic post.

The overlap could be solved in a handful of ways.
  • the initial f may need be done with a smash input
  • the final button may need to be held down a little longer
  • the final button may need to be both buttons together.

Since jumping isn't really a thing in 3D fighters -- hops are about it -- yeah, wavedash + no up-B sounds really Mac-like.

(OT: anyone here playing Guily Gear Strive? It has basically taken over all of my SFV peeps including myself.)

Last edited:

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Georgia Invitational Top 8 (Everyone’s in Winners Bracket)

Vendetta :ultryu::ultken: vs Sonido :ultsonic:
Wrath :ultsonic: vs Scatt:ultsephiroth:
DDee :ultenderman::ultpokemontrainerf::ultbanjokazooie: vs Mugen:ultroy:
Kola :ultroy::ultcloud::ultsnake: vs Fatality:ultfalcon:

DDee has been a massive underdog this tournament, being rather low seeded but having huge wins on Fatality and Wrath.

blackghost

Smash Champion

I believe that this feeling of being ripped straight from the original game will translate into his attributes and moveset, for better and worse, but I will cover that later.

• Rage Art. A single-use special move. This can be seen near the end of the reveal trailer, with Kazuya using it on Incineroar. Notice that he goes into Devil mode when he does that. The input of Rage Art in Tekken 7 is d/f+1+2 (down forward + left punch + right punch), a pretty simple input for good returns. However, using the Rage Art will end Kazuya's Rage status, regardless if it hits or whiffs, so use with caution.

• 1v1 turnaround: He seems to have the 1v1 turnaround mechanic the Shotos and Terry have, at least from what I saw. It is not quite as impactful on Kazuya since he doesn't have much of any backwards input moves, with the few he has being very simple and easy with very little motion required, but it can still be helpful on executing stuff.

i think kazuya will get a playerbase from a few unexpected places: i think some bayonetta players will give him a shot, some peach players, mac, and maybe terry more so than ryu/ken.
bayonetta players are used to a combo character with slow buttons (but if his offstage game is truly as bad as i tihnk it will be bayo players wont like him. peach players ebcuase they enjoy execution plus combos. mac becuase hes gonna hit hard and might be similiar to mac moreso than we think as a few posts predicted. terry is laso a c ombo character with slower normals but the execution on terry is prob a lot easier than kazuya will be.

Top Bottom