• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive button config?

bluezero2x

Smash Rookie
Is there a button config that differs from the stock config (besides tap jump)? Like one used in the competitive scene?

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Z jump and Y grab is absolutely fantastic. I'll never go back to jumping with face buttons and grabbing with Y feels really natural since you have all your offensive buttons mapped right next to each other. R to attack for DACUS is neato if your character has one, and the usual options I see for X among those using custom configs is to either map it to a taunt (for footstools) or to shield (powershields etc).

Celestis

Smash Ace
Default all the way.

Plus I can't play melee with custom controls. Anything else is gross!

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

I feel like X jumpers are the weird ones.

Y Jump all the way.

i have special on R and side taunt on X.

for changing to ice mode mainly (too risky hitting the dpad)
R as special was to Upb OOs without tap jump. but now i use it for tight missile tech

Last edited:

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Unless you are like me and use Y to jump.
Actually, correction I use X for grabs. Also, wavedashing out of shield for me has been really difficult to learn for some reason (I still only use R for it).

Last edited:

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I have a special custom control for spacies + Ness/Lucas where I just switch A and B and put a shield button on Y. Easy waveshine/magnet ALL DAY, with a footstool button on R.

For other characters the shield button is still on Y but I have R set to attack just for Dacus.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Z jump has pretty much no downside. Remap either X or Y to grab, the other as a taunt for footstooling, and feel free to map R to attack or something for DACUS.

You get faster and easier SHFFL aerials (especially retreating), quicker ledgehop aerials, you can turn tap jump off and still upB OoS, DJC shenanigans are easier, and float stuff I think is easier too.

It'll take you like a day to get used to, really.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Actually, correction I use X for grabs. Also, wavedashing out of shield for me has been really difficult to learn for some reason (I still only use R for it).
Well it is hard in this game with the whole lack of independent Shield button presses. Though that will be fixed in 3.5. Yay!

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Well it is hard in this game with the whole lack of independent Shield button presses. Though that will be fixed in 3.5. Yay!
Is there a sticky for the 3.5 changes? I'm too lazy to look..
Or...something?

Last edited:

Nomzr

Smash Apprentice
What I really want to know is if it's at all possible to remove the function of Smash Attacks altogether from anything but the C-Stick. All too often I get a Smash when I want a tilt.

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Or...something?
I don't think there is, unfortunately. I'm pretty sure he's right about the independent presses, though.

And @ Nomzr Nomzr , I'm pretty sure that's impossible due to the nature of how the inputs are processed.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
Or...something?
No, but pretty much all the info we have on gameplay comes from the blogposts on the PM website so you could check those. Aesthetic changes are distributed across the various Art Tuesday posts, so you'd have to do a bit more searching for those.

...or just wait til the official changelog is released after 3.5 comes out :p

Celestis

Smash Ace
Someone should make a "Changes we know so far" Thread and see it it gets sticky.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I use Y as Taunt, allowing me some easy footstool jumps that still feel like jumps. I like leaving Tap-jump on for easy out-of-shield Up smashes and UpBs.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
BURN THE HERETIC

jk kinda

Increased input latency aside, it does make a bit of difference. You have the advantage of a ZL button, but some of our preferences regarding face button mappings don't transfer 100% due to the differences in layout.

xXSciophobiaXx

Smash Apprentice
Z jump and Y grab is absolutely fantastic. I'll never go back to jumping with face buttons and grabbing with Y feels really natural since you have all your offensive buttons mapped right next to each other. R to attack for DACUS is neato if your character has one, and the usual options I see for X among those using custom configs is to either map it to a taunt (for footstools) or to shield (powershields etc).
Essentially identical to my control scheme. I rank this as the number one most important thing you can do for yourself. Get a good control layout. I strongly believe this is the best layout possible. I implore you to giving it a try.

Top Bottom