• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Competitive Allstar Mode Discussion

Frost | Odds

Puddings: 1 /// Odds: 0
Seems like a relevant topic now that we know 3.5 drops in a few days.

Do you think Allstar could form the basis of a viable tournament ruleset? Would you prefer such a ruleset over single-character? Maybe only as a side event? Why, or why not? What should such a ruleset look like in your opinion?

Would you attend an Allstar tournament - even if only to try it out?

My own thoughts, from further down in the thread:

Alright, here we go. I apologize for the double post, but it seems like the most sensible way to distinguish my personal opinions from the queries in the OP.

Do you think Allstar could form the basis of a viable tournament ruleset?
IMO, given that the interface is decently polished: absolutely.

Reasoning: Current rulesets are already designed to minimize variance, and allow players to compensate for bad maps and matchups, via the counterpicking/banning systems for stages and characters. Unfortunately, these systems are unable to compensate for variance within matches, and can place an undue amount of importance on playing the matchup game, rather than the other player.

Here's an example of such a situation [in 3.02]. Because I'm locally known as a Bowser player, everyone always bans the illuminati stages against me (Yoshi's Island, FoD, WarioWare), because Bowser is disproportionately strong on those stages, particularly against characters that are dependent on camping. Unfortunately for the other player, Bowser isn't the only character I can play - I also have a (relative to the local scene) strong Toon Link, who tends to thrive on stages and against characters that are polar opposites to Bowser's ideal locations and opponents.

Say I'm against an opponent that plays Fox and Ivysaur. I'm strongly incentivized to play Bowser against his Fox, and Toon Link against his Ivysaur.

First problem: the blind pick. Because this happens before the stage is selected, the matchup played could wildly favor either of us, dependent partially on the RPS, and partially on blind luck.

Basically, roughly speaking in terms of this microcosm meta,

Fox >> Toon Link
Bowser > Fox
Ivysaur >>>>>> Bowser
Toon Link = Ivysaur

Because I can't risk an auto-loss to Ivysaur, I'm forced to blind pick Toon Link. My opponent knows this, and blind picks Fox.

My must-ban stages are FD and Dreamland - I can't afford to get camped out by lasers on FD, and Toon Link loses to Fox period -- and Fox's recovery/gimp game is way stronger, so he benefits much more from Dreamland's huge blastzones.

Because he wants room to run around, My opponent's must-ban stages are FoD and Yoshi's Story.

Basically, we're bound to either play on Battlefield (if I'm lucky), or PS2 (if he is). I'm at a disadvantage either way, but it's a significantly more pronounced one if we play on PS2.

If I win game 1: I ban Final Destination, PS1, and Dreamland. He probably picks PS2 or Skyloft - once again, I can't afford to get counterpicked, so I have to suck it up and play Toon Link against Fox on an ideal Fox stage with lots of running space and a low ceiling. I am incredibly unlikely to win game 2, but I'll at least get an even game on game 3. I only have a 50/50% chance of winning the set, despite winning game 1.

If he wins game 1: he bans Yoshi's, FoD, and WW for obvious reasons. He goes Ivysaur, I counterpick Toon Link on battlefield- hardly ideal but at least it's an even game. I've pretty much already lost the set, though - because I'll need to play Toon Link on a Fox stage game 3 even if I win the even game 2.

All this changes pretty dramatically if we're playing Allstar. Maybe I can mix in a character that I'm not confident enough to main, but with which I may be able to take some stocks off the opponent before he's adapted - such as Roy, whose 'blitz factor' can at times outweigh that he's a relatively weak character overall - and he has a great matchup against Fox. Regardless, though, the most important thing IMO is that:

The ability to incorporate multiple counterpicks in a single game must necessarily reduce variance. Because you can hedge your bets against any character (or set thereof), a game becomes more about adaptation and knowledge of your opponent's habits, than centralized around any particular matchup. This property is huuuge for tournament play, because consistent, safe play is almost always what separates great players from good players.

There are other bonuses, too.

1. Spectator excitement should be much more palpable if a match features a rotating cast of characters from both players (or even just one player plays multiple characters), because there isn't time for any one matchup to get stale - a common problem in PM due to the prevalence of campy characters.

2. Because there are so many fun characters in PM, it's often tough to resist the temptation to play a bunch at the same time. Using Allstar in tournament would allow players to dip their toes in the water of playing a new character in a high pressure situation, without necessarily fully committing.

3. Related to (2), this would allow players to more comprehensively capitalize on the ability to play a bunch of characters, and thereby force their opponents to adapt. At the same time, dedicated single-character players are not severely penalized - their more focused expertise will necessarily still provide them an advantage over players who spread themselves too thin. If they could deal with every matchup before, they can still do the same -- if anything, Allstar would make them less likely to have to deal with long, grindy matches in bad matchups due to opponents' hedging.

4. Increased style points. Even if a player doesn't necessarily think he'll get an advantage by playing multiple characters in a match, it can still be another means to express his skill or dominance of the game - a key motivator for many players, including myself.

Anyway, as for rulesets, I think picking 4 characters per player per game would be way too excessive. Here's an example alternative ruleset. I'm not totally bent on it, but I've thought it out plenty, and think this is probably a good starting point for discussion. Keep in mind that in this example, I'm trying to give an advantage to the loser of the RPS game (to compensate for the RPS loss), but to make that advantage as small as possible, for obvious reasons. :

For the FIRST game,

1. Each player blind-picks a 'team' of three characters. This character pool is known BEFORE stage selection. These characters will later be organized into positions, such that the four stocks for each player are filled like this: PMMA, where P = Point, M = Middle, A = Anchor. I don't know much about Marvel, but I love their terminology here, and think it fits. Right now, the players' character lists look like this:

P1: Stocks: ???? ||| Pool: A, B, C
P2: Stocks: ???? ||| Pool: D, E, F

2. Normal Rock-Paper-Scissors takes place, and a stage is selected through bans as normal.

3. The winner of the RPS game (and therefore the final selector of the stage) must pick his 'anchor', or the last character that will see play. This is a relatively low-commitment decision, as this character is the least likely to see play.

Result:

P1(W): Stocks: ???A ||| Pool: B, C
P2(L): Stocks: ???? ||| Pool: D, E, F

Now, P1 has 1 decision left to make, and P2 has 2 decisions left to make.

4. P2 (the RPS loser) now chooses his Middle character- this is the highest-commitment decision he can make, because the Middle character is probably the most important due to consuming 2 stocks and almost certainly seeing play. The reason we have P2 making this high-commitment decision is so that P1 has something to work with -- because P1 only has one decision left - so it should be a relatively informed one. I hope that makes sense.

The result:

P2(L): Stocks: ?DD? ||| Pool: E, F

5. Now, P1 makes his only remaining decision before the match: how does he order B and C?

P1(W): Stocks: BCCA ||| Pool:

6. P2 finishes up.

P2(L): Stocks: EDDF ||| Pool:

7. Game is played!

8. FOR THE SECOND GAME:

9. The winner of G1 is restricted to his current team.

10. The loser of G1 can either pick a new team pool, or stick with his current one.

11. The players' teams are re-ordered via the same process as occurred before game 1 - as though the loser of the first game had lost Rock Paper Scissors.

12. The second game is played.

*** NOTE: I think it would probably be best to restrict players to AT MOST 2 teams per set, to keep things running smoothly, and reduce complications. While teams may be re-ordered for subsequent games, players are restricted to their first two pools.

Wonderful alternative suggested by AustinP: Same process, except at step 10, the loser of G1 can swap out at most one character on his team before the re-ordering on step 11. This optional swap can occur after every game of the set.

--------------

Now, obviously, there's probably room for refinement here. Maybe some portion of the process matters too much in terms of the game's results. Maybe the whole thing is too complicated - or too simple. But the simple fact here is that by giving each player multiple decision points to minimize his disadvantages, the probable variance of the match is smoothed out. There is literally no way for this system to produce a larger advantage for one player or the other than would be necessary if they played under a current ruleset.

I anticipate that the biggest objection people have will be that of time. TOs are under a lot of pressure as it is, and tournaments tend to go overtime already. Further, tournament attendees may find themselves confused by the relatively complicated rules.

I have two answers to this objection:

1. We don't know yet that a system like the ruleset outlined above would actually take more time than the current system! It is, in fact, entirely possible that it may take less time than current rulesets, and here's why: players tend to spend much more time on big decisions than small ones. I may spend several minutes waffling between several characters and stages if I have a lot of complex variables to consider. But because this proposed ruleset splits these big decisions into much smaller, easier to make ones, it is entirely possible that the process will be streamlined by making each decision much lower-commitment and more straightforward.

2. If an extra minute or two in character select produces higher-quality and more fun tournament sets, then it's a price worth paying. Full stop.

-----------------

I'm sure there will be more objections. I'd actually like to raise some questions in regards to my proposed example ruleset, in addition to those posed in the OP. I'll post my gut-instinct answers to these, but please add your own if you think you have something worth contributing.

Q1. After selecting a character pool of 2 or more characters, should a player be obligated to use all those characters?
A1. I think it would actually probably be best if players always selected 3 different characters, and then, if they didn't want to use all of them, simply place the same character in multiple positions. Eg, I could have Bowser playing my Point to try to surprise an opponent, and then have Toon Link as both Middle and Anchor, as he's a much safer bet in most matchups.

Q2. What to do after the first game? How many teams should each player be allowed to play in a regular set? What about a Finals set? What if finals are reset?
A2. I'm not really sure. Those details will probably take a lot of work.

Q3. What makes 3 an ideal maximum number of characters? Why arrange them into the 3 positions, as PMMA?
A3. First, it's asymmetric. Having the same character stick around for at least 2 stocks should stabilize the midgame somewhat, reducing the chaos that's inevitable with multiple characters from each player. This should help players (and spectators and commentary) to frame matches within a coherent narrative. And Odds's Middle Peach is finally down! Will he be able to bring it back with his Bowser? ... seems a lot more intrinsically sensible and exciting to me than Odds's first 3 characters are gone. Maybe the fourth time's the charm?. In addition, there's a few other things.

- First, there's a precedent in Marvel vs Capcom (and also King of Fighters!). Using familiar terminology and number of characters will allow veterans of that game to engage with the new mode much more easily. Also, MvC/KoF's success would appear to demonstrate that there's maybe something to it!

- Second, it's convenient from an organizational perspective - holding 3 characters in mind takes much less brainpower than 4, and requires more actual choices to be made (particularly if those characters' arrangement is necessarily asymmetric).

- Third, 3 characters allows much more matchup coverage (and thus, smoothing of matchup-related bell-curves) than two.

Q4. If you can just play a single character, why bother with Allstar?
A4. If people play the same character across the whole thing: WHO CARES? if the worst case is literally the same as the status quo, then it's pretty much inarguably a strict improvement.

------------------------

I'd love all feedback on this. I'll probably produce a much more polished, well-reasoned, and fleshed-out ruleset proposal once enough problems and solutions are found with this one. Many thanks to everyone who actually read this monster of a post, and more thanks yet to anyone who provides meaningful feedback.

Last edited:
I support this idea. It has a ton of potential, unlike Turbo Mode when 3.0 dropped.
but there are a ton of things to consider, so it would take quite a bit of trial and error. Would totally love for this to become something.

Sorry:(

Smash Apprentice
Allstar mode feels to me like a more dynamic King of Fighters style of battle. It would be interesting to see what teams, combinations of characters would be the most competitively viable. 1 stock per character feels so much shorter than one hp gauge per character in KoF though.

Alfonzo Bagpipez

Smash Lord
NNID
Futatsu
3DS FC
0920-0032-8454
Having a Side-Event for All-Star mode would be sick.
I wouldn't want it to replace the current format, tho.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
This makes ironman exhibitions all the more easy and hype.
Would be interested in seeing a side-event.

Frost | Odds

Alright, here we go. I apologize for the double post, but it seems like the most sensible way to distinguish my personal opinions from the queries in the OP.

Do you think Allstar could form the basis of a viable tournament ruleset?
IMO, given that the interface is decently polished: absolutely.

Reasoning: Current rulesets are already designed to minimize variance, and allow players to compensate for bad maps and matchups, via the counterpicking/banning systems for stages and characters. Unfortunately, these systems are unable to compensate for variance within matches, and can place an undue amount of importance on playing the matchup game, rather than the other player.

Here's an example of such a situation [in 3.02]. Because I'm locally known as a Bowser player, everyone always bans the illuminati stages against me (Yoshi's Island, FoD, WarioWare), because Bowser is disproportionately strong on those stages, particularly against characters that are dependent on camping. Unfortunately for the other player, Bowser isn't the only character I can play - I also have a (relative to the local scene) strong Toon Link, who tends to thrive on stages and against characters that are polar opposites to Bowser's ideal locations and opponents.

Say I'm against an opponent that plays Fox and Ivysaur. I'm strongly incentivized to play Bowser against his Fox, and Toon Link against his Ivysaur.

First problem: the blind pick. Because this happens before the stage is selected, the matchup played could wildly favor either of us, dependent partially on the RPS, and partially on blind luck.

Basically, roughly speaking in terms of this microcosm meta,

Fox >> Toon Link
Bowser > Fox
Ivysaur >>>>>> Bowser
Toon Link = Ivysaur

Because I can't risk an auto-loss to Ivysaur, I'm forced to blind pick Toon Link. My opponent knows this, and blind picks Fox.

My must-ban stages are FD and Dreamland - I can't afford to get camped out by lasers on FD, and Toon Link loses to Fox period -- and Fox's recovery/gimp game is way stronger, so he benefits much more from Dreamland's huge blastzones.

Because he wants room to run around, My opponent's must-ban stages are FoD and Yoshi's Story.

Basically, we're bound to either play on Battlefield (if I'm lucky), or PS2 (if he is). I'm at a disadvantage either way, but it's a significantly more pronounced one if we play on PS2.

If I win game 1: I ban Final Destination, PS1, and Dreamland. He probably picks PS2 or Skyloft - once again, I can't afford to get counterpicked, so I have to suck it up and play Toon Link against Fox on an ideal Fox stage with lots of running space and a low ceiling. I am incredibly unlikely to win game 2, but I'll at least get an even game on game 3. I only have a 50/50% chance of winning the set, despite winning game 1.

If he wins game 1: he bans Yoshi's, FoD, and WW for obvious reasons. He goes Ivysaur, I counterpick Toon Link on battlefield- hardly ideal but at least it's an even game. I've pretty much already lost the set, though - because I'll need to play Toon Link on a Fox stage game 3 even if I win the even game 2.

All this changes pretty dramatically if we're playing Allstar. Maybe I can mix in a character that I'm not confident enough to main, but with which I may be able to take some stocks off the opponent before he's adapted - such as Roy, whose 'blitz factor' can at times outweigh that he's a relatively weak character overall - and he has a great matchup against Fox. Regardless, though, the most important thing IMO is that:

The ability to incorporate multiple counterpicks in a single game must necessarily reduce variance. Because you can hedge your bets against any character (or set thereof), a game becomes more about adaptation and knowledge of your opponent's habits, than centralized around any particular matchup. This property is huuuge for tournament play, because consistent, safe play is almost always what separates great players from good players.

There are other bonuses, too.

1. Spectator excitement should be much more palpable if a match features a rotating cast of characters from both players (or even just one player plays multiple characters), because there isn't time for any one matchup to get stale - a common problem in PM due to the prevalence of campy characters.

2. Because there are so many fun characters in PM, it's often tough to resist the temptation to play a bunch at the same time. Using Allstar in tournament would allow players to dip their toes in the water of playing a new character in a high pressure situation, without necessarily fully committing.

3. Related to (2), this would allow players to more comprehensively capitalize on the ability to play a bunch of characters, and thereby force their opponents to adapt. At the same time, dedicated single-character players are not severely penalized - their more focused expertise will necessarily still provide them an advantage over players who spread themselves too thin. If they could deal with every matchup before, they can still do the same -- if anything, Allstar would make them less likely to have to deal with long, grindy matches in bad matchups due to opponents' hedging.

4. Increased style points. Even if a player doesn't necessarily think he'll get an advantage by playing multiple characters in a match, it can still be another means to express his skill or dominance of the game - a key motivator for many players, including myself.

Anyway, as for rulesets, I think picking 4 characters per player per game would be way too excessive. Here's an example alternative ruleset. I'm not totally bent on it, but I've thought it out plenty, and think this is probably a good starting point for discussion. Keep in mind that in this example, I'm trying to give an advantage to the loser of the RPS game (to compensate for the RPS loss), but to make that advantage as small as possible, for obvious reasons. :

For the FIRST game,

1. Each player blind-picks a 'team' of three characters. This character pool is known BEFORE stage selection. These characters will later be organized into positions, such that the four stocks for each player are filled like this: PMMA, where P = Point, M = Middle, A = Anchor. I don't know much about Marvel, but I love their terminology here, and think it fits. Right now, the players' character lists look like this:

P1: Stocks: ???? ||| Pool: A, B, C
P2: Stocks: ???? ||| Pool: D, E, F

2. Normal Rock-Paper-Scissors takes place, and a stage is selected through bans as normal.

3. The winner of the RPS game (and therefore the final selector of the stage) must pick his 'anchor', or the last character that will see play. This is a relatively low-commitment decision, as this character is the least likely to see play.

Result:

P2(L): Stocks: ???? ||| Pool: D, E, F

Now, P1 has 1 decision left to make, and P2 has 2 decisions left to make.

4. P2 (the RPS loser) now chooses his Middle character- this is the highest-commitment decision he can make, because the Middle character is probably the most important due to consuming 2 stocks and almost certainly seeing play. The reason we have P2 making this high-commitment decision is so that P1 has something to work with -- because P1 only has one decision left - so it should be a relatively informed one. I hope that makes sense.

The result:

5. Now, P1 makes his only remaining decision before the match: how does he order B and C?

6. P2 finishes up.

P2(L): Stocks: EDDF ||| Pool:

7. Game is played!

8. FOR THE SECOND GAME:

9. The winner of G1 is restricted to his current team.

10. The loser of G1 can either pick a new team pool, or stick with his current one.

11. The players' teams are re-ordered via the same process as occurred before game 1 - as though the loser of the first game had lost Rock Paper Scissors.

12. The second game is played.

*** NOTE: I think it would probably be best to restrict players to AT MOST 2 teams per set, to keep things running smoothly, and reduce complications. While teams may be re-ordered for subsequent games, players are restricted to their first two pools.

Wonderful alternative suggested by AustinP: Same process, except at step 10, the loser of G1 can swap out at most one character on his team before the re-ordering on step 11. This optional swap can occur after every game of the set.
--------------

Now, obviously, there's probably room for refinement here. Maybe some portion of the process matters too much in terms of the game's results. Maybe the whole thing is too complicated - or too simple. But the simple fact here is that by giving each player multiple decision points to minimize his disadvantages, the probable variance of the match is smoothed out. There is literally no way for this system to produce a larger advantage for one player or the other than would be necessary if they played under a current ruleset.

I anticipate that the biggest objection people have will be that of time. TOs are under a lot of pressure as it is, and tournaments tend to go overtime already. Further, tournament attendees may find themselves confused by the relatively complicated rules.

I have two answers to this objection:

1. We don't know yet that a system like the ruleset outlined above would actually take more time than the current system! It is, in fact, entirely possible that it may take less time than current rulesets, and here's why: players tend to spend much more time on big decisions than small ones. I may spend several minutes waffling between several characters and stages if I have a lot of complex variables to consider. But because this proposed ruleset splits these big decisions into much smaller, easier to make ones, it is entirely possible that the process will be streamlined by making each decision much lower-commitment and more straightforward.

2. If an extra minute or two in character select produces higher-quality and more fun tournament sets, then it's a price worth paying. Full stop.

-----------------

I'm sure there will be more objections. I'd actually like to raise some questions in regards to my proposed example ruleset, in addition to those posed in the OP. I'll post my gut-instinct answers to these, but please add your own if you think you have something worth contributing.

Q1. After selecting a character pool of 2 or more characters, should a player be obligated to use all those characters?
A1. I think it would actually probably be best if players always selected 3 different characters, and then, if they didn't want to use all of them, simply place the same character in multiple positions. Eg, I could have Bowser playing my Point to try to surprise an opponent, and then have Toon Link as both Middle and Anchor, as he's a much safer bet in most matchups.

Q2. What to do after the first game? How many teams should each player be allowed to play in a regular set? What about a Finals set? What if finals are reset?
A2. I'm not really sure. Those details will probably take a lot of work.

Q3. What makes 3 an ideal maximum number of characters? Why arrange them into the 3 positions, as PMMA?
A3. First, it's asymmetric. Having the same character stick around for at least 2 stocks should stabilize the midgame somewhat, reducing the chaos that's inevitable with multiple characters from each player. This should help players (and spectators and commentary) to frame matches within a coherent narrative. And Odds's Middle Peach is finally down! Will he be able to bring it back with his Bowser? ... seems a lot more intrinsically sensible and exciting to me than Odds's first 3 characters are gone. Maybe the fourth time's the charm?. In addition, there's a few other things.

- First, there's a precedent in Marvel vs Capcom (and also King of Fighters!). Using familiar terminology and number of characters will allow veterans of that game to engage with the new mode much more easily. Also, MvC/KoF's success would appear to demonstrate that there's maybe something to it!

- Second, it's convenient from an organizational perspective - holding 3 characters in mind takes much less brainpower than 4, and requires more actual choices to be made (particularly if those characters' arrangement is necessarily asymmetric).

- Third, 3 characters allows much more matchup coverage (and thus, smoothing of matchup-related bell-curves) than two.

Q4. If you can just play a single character, why bother with Allstar?
A4. If people play the same character across the whole thing: WHO CARES? if the worst case is literally the same as the status quo, then it's pretty much inarguably a strict improvement.

------------------------

I'd love all feedback on this. I'll probably produce a much more polished, well-reasoned, and fleshed-out ruleset proposal once enough problems and solutions are found with this one. Many thanks to everyone who actually read this monster of a post, and more thanks yet to anyone who provides meaningful feedback.

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

TBH, All star Crew matches is what i want to have.

10 stock match, 5 players per team, 2 stocks each. hand over the controller as fast as possible when you die =D

TreK

Is "that guy"
Well, I certainly don't have anything against people playing two characters in the same match.

This could change doubles up quite a bit though.

Last edited:

ꓰspeon

Sun Pokemon
Frankly, the Point/Middle/Anchor looks like a fairly ideal solution, for the variety of reason you expressed. It streamlines decisions, gives them a meaningful framework and keeps the possibilities for 3 characters.

Some variations I can think of would be
  • Back-and-forth character selection after RPS (although that's most likely a bad idea since it probably slows down startup);,
  • The RPS winner deciding whether he has to choose position first or the opponent has to (which I feel many people would feel fairer; also as Soccer teaches, it's a quick decision since it's player-related more than anything else);
  • While the winner keeps the team, the loser is allowed to swap only one character. This I feel adheres to the streamlining-of-decisions philosophy, while keeping most potency of the character switch intact (since at first you'd always be switching the weakest link for one that you repute stronger, and all subsequent switches would have diminishing returns; plus not many players would be willing to bring forward 5+ characters in a tournament match). Also this fits from a watcher hype perspective, since I imagine it to be more tense when a player only has one switch to ponder, instead of having the leisure of switching out the entire team.
  • EDIT: thinking about it, allowing the same character to fill multiple roles means the PMMA is not 2 decisions, but actually 3. So two back-and-forth of place selection perhaps? I was thinking Player1!A - 2!M - 1!M - 2!P or A - 1!P - 2!What's left. Either this, or you must state in the character selection that you're only using 1-2 characters (mentioning the multiplicities for them too)

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

While the winner keeps the team, the loser is allowed to swap only one character. This I feel adheres to the streamlining-of-decisions philosophy, while keeping most potency of the character switch intact (since at first you'd always be switching the weakest link for one that you repute stronger, and all subsequent switches would have diminishing returns; plus not many players would be willing to bring forward 5+ characters in a tournament match). Also this fits from a watcher hype perspective, since I imagine it to be more tense when a player only has one switch to ponder, instead of having the leisure of switching out the entire team.
I like this idea a lot, and your reasoning is very solid. I'll edit my post when I get home. This should also help quash time or complexity-related objections, while staying true to the format.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
TBH, All star Crew matches is what i want to have.

10 stock match, 5 players per team, 2 stocks each. hand over the controller as fast as possible when you die =D
I like this idea but custom controls might create some problems :/ unless you can switch controls each stock which would be awesome.

Narpas_sword

as a custom control user, i suggest manning up =p

not for 'serious' crew battles, more like, mini fast paced crew where you have no time for tactical discussion of who should be in the next fight.

like a relay race. pass the baton and go hard.

TreK

Is "that guy"
If that can help with your thread :
I just ran a small survey in my region's facebook group
5 people want it to be allowed
8 want it to be banned
10 want it only if it's a side event

Although there's a LOT of misinterpretation about it, most people aren't making sense in their arguments lmao.
I'll just bump my survey when they get their hands on that thing and see if it changes anybody's mind.

Frost | Odds

This could change doubles up quite a bit though.
Jesus, Doubles is already plenty chaotic as it is. I don't think we need to add more madness to the mix. It could be fun, but if we're going to establish anything like a standard ruleset, I'd prefer to start with singles.

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
We UMvC3 now?

I mean which is the hype fighting game with the three fighters team stuff? W/e not important

I'd love for all-star tournies to be their own thing, or a side event at PM tournies. 3 stock instead of 4, can't repeat charactes, 3 stocks because having 3 characters good enough to use competitively is a lot more reasonable than 4 unless you're freaking Mew2King.

Speaking of whom, he'd probably be the best all-star player.

This could have some HYPE matches and tournies though, I'd love for it to become a thing.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I support this because people can choose from 1 to 4 characters per match, so they aren't forced to change.
If you allow people to use just 1 character for all of their stocks, it's not worth running an All Star side event. You have to force people to use at least X characters, but it's probably most intuitive to force them to use a different character every stock. In this case, Sheik/Zelda Transform would be banned, or the single use of Shielda allowed.

Last edited:

Frost | Odds

If you allow people to use just 1 character for all of their stocks, it's not worth running an All Star side event. You have to force people to use at least X characters, but it's probably most intuitive to force them to use a different character every stock. In this case, Sheik/Zelda Transform would be banned, or the single use of Shielda allowed.
Makes sense for a side event, as the whole idea would be to promote the use of the new feature.

How would you feel about the use of All-Star as the primary mode for a tournament of significant size?

I'd want a ton of playtime with the new mode to see how it feels and plays before jumping to conclusions, but I can imagine it supplanting vPM as the main tournament event, if it's polished enough, and there's an agreeable unified ruleset.

Obviously, that'll almost certainly remain a fantasy because it'd represent a fairly major departure from Smash as played thus far. It'll still be a fun experiment.

Last edited:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I do not expect nor desire All Star Versus to replace traditional Singles events.

Foo

Smash Lord
Eh, I'm absolutely fine with it being a side event at tournies, but if it were the main event I may quit going to tournaments. I am the type of player who likes to get really really good at one character, and then just have one backup to cover matchups. Being forced to play 4 different characters just seems... unsmashlike. One of my favorite parts of watching competitive smash is seeing how good players are on their best characters, and what they can do with them even in a bad matchup, like watching sethelon dunk on top tiers with roy or watching Oro!? take out good fox players with ZSS.

While I am normally not one to side against something just because it's different, that's exactly why I don't want this to happen. If allstar became the new standard, it would be a totally different game with a totally different metagame. I think regular 4 stock mode will stay the standard for this very reason.

(It's gonna be a side event at some venues foe shoe doe)

1FD

Smash Ace
I haven't read your OP yet, but locally we decided upon Allstar being announced that we would come up with a ruleset for it based on how it works when we find out more, and play exclusively allstar mode at all events until we know if it's legit or not.
Will read later, but we're so on this. With ya! woop

Blitzus

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4253-3622-3146
I can see this implemented into crew battles.

I lose four of my stocks with my character and hand off my controller to the next guy, who has 4 stocks of his best character Etc.

Last edited:

shapular

Smash Ace
PM is supposed to be a fun, casual mod. Playing lots of characters is more fun than playing just one. So I think All-Star Versus should be the standard for PM over standard singles. It's also probably the best way for PM to remain relevant and unique after Smash for Wii U comes out.

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
You could honestly do it similar to ratios in CvS2. Maximum of three characters. With spreads of 2-1-1, 2-2, 3-1, and 4.

I feel with PM being so match-up oriented there is pretty good incentive not to go with just 4 of one character already. No more second-guessing your counterpicks. Simply play them all and see what works best for you in the 1st round, then adjust accordingly.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
PM is supposed to be a fun, casual mod. Playing lots of characters is more fun than playing just one. So I think All-Star Versus should be the standard for PM over standard singles. It's also probably the best way for PM to remain relevant and unique after Smash for Wii U comes out.
PM is supposed to be a fun, casual mod.
Are we seeing the same game here?

Have you not seen the debug mode built entirely from scratch, with the intention of helping PM players make their technical skills more precise? Have you not noticed that it's had more than 4 years of development with countless hours of hard work rebalancing characters?

PM is supposed to be fun. PM is intended to appeal to the whole spectrum of Smash players. But saying it's supposed to be casual is willful ignorance.

On topic, I think that 3 stock ASV should be considered. The advantages/disadvantages of characters having more stocks, like Wario or Ivysaur or other characters have, are cut down a lot when every character is designated to have 1 stock anyway. And IIRC this was one of the big points in the 3 vs 4 stock debate.

But in ASV, there's going to be more time taken to pick characters regardless of the settled ruleset. As a side event, it's wise to not take up too much time. Just a thought.

Last edited:

Foo

Smash Lord
PM is not intended to be a casual mod. Smash itself was intended to be completely casual, but...

Nintendo Characters, Items, and everything random: These were the ingredients chosen to create the perfect casual fighter! But professor Sakurai accidentally an extra ingredient...
CHEMICAL 20XX

Thus, Super Smash Brothers Melee was Born!

PM is an attempt to remake melee, but add in some newer features (at least the good ones, like characters) as well as fix some of the problems melee had. It can certainly be played casually, but I think it is targeted more at the competitive scene.

wiiztec

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wiiztec
I would not want to see ASV side events force entrants to use more than 2 characters per match if it would mean settling for lower level play which IMO it would as not everyone has more than a main and a secondary

nimigoha

Smash Ace
I would not want to see ASV side events force entrants to use more than 2 characters per match if it would mean settling for lower level play which IMO it would as not everyone has more than a main and a secondary
That's obviously a really good point. I think it would be fair for using 2-3 characters in 3 stock and 2-4 characters in 4 stock as the standard. I'd love to see what others think about stock count because I think time is something to think about.

Last edited:

nimigoha

Smash Ace
You mean like 8 stock single matches? I suppose, but at the same time the stage counterpick point has to be raised.

I could see it going a few ways. 6-8 stocks, 2+ characters, 1 stage. Or 2 x 3 or 4 stock games, 2+ characters, involving stage and character counterpicks. Although trying to pick a stage against your opponent's possible 4 characters could be a nightmare. I think that there could either be a standard ASV stage like Battlefield or PS2 which are in my opinion two of the most well-rounded stages, or just picking a stage at the beginning of the set and doing different games to incorporate whatever character counter pick formula the community ends up deciding on.

To be honest I think that this is such a new and diverse mechanic that just discussion won't solve it. It will be good to get a basis, but testing it at tournaments going to end up finding the solution.

shapular

Smash Ace
PM is not intended to be a casual mod. Smash itself was intended to be completely casual, but...

Nintendo Characters, Items, and everything random: These were the ingredients chosen to create the perfect casual fighter! But professor Sakurai accidentally an extra ingredient...
CHEMICAL 20XX

Thus, Super Smash Brothers Melee was Born!

PM is an attempt to remake melee, but add in some newer features (at least the good ones, like characters) as well as fix some of the problems melee had. It can certainly be played casually, but I think it is targeted more at the competitive scene.
THIS IS THE GREATEST POST IN THE HISTORY OF EVER.

But yeah, iirc back when PM was first announced they said it wasn't meant for tournament play, it was just for fun. I'd like to see PM go back to those roots because trying to be super competitive in PM kind of sucks the fun out of it. I think Turbo Mode and All-Star Versus are good additions for that purpose.

Well you could always have more stocks but then single match sets to save time
When this was announced I suggested to my local scene that we could do 10-stock, best of 1 sets. But then, hardly anyone actually has 10 characters in PM (not even I do and I play like 17 in Brawl) so it'd eventually devolve into two people fighting each other not knowing what they're doing. I'd still like to do five stock if possible and I wouldn't want to do any less than four. With high-stock, single match sets, every game would probably end up on Smashville or PS2, but that'll probably be the case for 3/4-stock bo3 anyway.

nimigoha

Smash Ace
trying to be super competitive in PM kind of sucks the fun out of it.
That's an opinion. Are you saying that the thousands of Melee and PM players spending time getting better and practicing tech skill aren't having fun?

Different people get different things out of different games.

How would they even 'go back to their roots'? Undo all the balance work they've done, making some characters glaringly better than others? That would be dumb but it might not even be enough to stop people from playing competitively. Even Brawl had big competitive scene with MK in his own tier.

And PM wasn't ever really 'announced as a casual game'. It started as remaking Melee Falco in Brawl, and since that includes things like wave shines it's hard to say it was intended to be casual.

Like if you don't want to spend time getting good in order to beat other people, and would rather play to your definition of fun, that's totally fine, and PM is a great game with loads of content to do just that.

But don't say that PM is intended to be a casual game. It's a game with mountains of content and work put into balance and design to foster fast paced gameplay rewarding technical skill.

It also has a team of dedicated people adding beautiful costumes and stages and modes and fixing single player. But the fact that those things have only been big since 3.0 shows that before that they've been working primarily on competitive play and releasing all the characters.

Frost | Odds

Eh, I'm absolutely fine with it being a side event at tournies, but if it were the main event I may quit going to tournaments. I am the type of player who likes to get really really good at one character, and then just have one backup to cover matchups.
If it were the main event at a tournament I were running, we'd be using something like the example ruleset I outlined -- for a player who focuses on a single character, exactly nothing changes. He's allowed to play that single character (or pair of characters) for an entire match.

While I am normally not one to side against something just because it's different, that's exactly why I don't want this to happen. If allstar became the new standard, it would be a totally different game with a totally different metagame. I think regular 4 stock mode will stay the standard for this very reason.
What postive value in the current metagame do you think would be lost by the use of All-Star? Do you think the commitment required to pick a single character; or the heavily counterpick-based meta is a good thing?

Foo

Smash Lord
If it were the main event at a tournament I were running, we'd be using something like the example ruleset I outlined -- for a player who focuses on a single character, exactly nothing changes. He's allowed to play that single character (or pair of characters) for an entire match.
I could be wrong, but I imagined I'd be at a disadvantage for doing so. The enemy play adapts to me once, but I have to figure out how to deal with four difference characters.

What postive value in the current metagame do you think would be lost by the use of All-Star? Do you think the commitment required to pick a single character; or the heavily counterpick-based meta is a good thing?
Again, since this hasn't happened before I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine the meta would shift from these characters to these teams, and the focus on knowing matchups would be MUCH more emphasized. The first time I played against a good squirtle, I got wrecked. Not because he was that good or because squirtle was OP, but because I didn't know the matchup. If two players were playing 4 characters a piece, the player with superior matchups knowledge has a huge advantage. While it wouldn't focus on counterpicks, matchups would be much more important.

Also, I don't feel the "current meta" is counterpick based simply because people don't do it very often in my experience. Most of the time (with the exception of a few characters, like bowser), being good at a character outweighs the matchup. In my tournament career, I have been (character) counterpicked exactly once.

Frost | Odds

I could be wrong, but I imagined I'd be at a disadvantage for doing so. The enemy play adapts to me once, but I have to figure out how to deal with four difference characters.
You could be right - though it seems to me that you would also have an advantage in terms of your ability to control that one character, commensurate with your narrower focus.

Again, since this hasn't happened before I can't say for sure, but I'd imagine the meta would shift from these characters to these teams, and the focus on knowing matchups would be MUCH more emphasized. The first time I played against a good squirtle, I got wrecked. Not because he was that good or because squirtle was OP, but because I didn't know the matchup.
Wouldn't knowing a specific matchup be less important, as it may only last for a stock or two, rather than for a full game? I'm not sure I follow your logic.

Also, I don't feel the "current meta" is counterpick based simply because people don't do it very often in my experience. Most of the time (with the exception of a few characters, like bowser), being good at a character outweighs the matchup. In my tournament career, I have been (character) counterpicked exactly once.
That's interesting. I'm not sure whether your local meta is the outlier, or if mine is. Here, we see character counterpicking all the time, and I'm not a huge fan of that. If others aren't having the same experience, it's no wonder that they wouldn't share my enthusiasm for trying a new way of doing things.

@ Strong Badam Strong Badam , may I ask why you would oppose All-star as a tournament mode? You have a lot more tournament experience than I, so I expect that you know something I don't. Great article about APEX, btw.

Last edited:

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
With the fact that you can counterpick characters after your opponent picks a stage already existing in the current meta, I don't see much of an issue with All-star mode personally. If however, in AS mode you took away the opponent's ability to change characters after winning, it would make a LOT more sense to pick multiple characters. In order to cover stage disadvantage.

People would most likely find a reason to complain about it though. Most fighting games don't let you change characters when you win, but smash has always been different because stage counterpicks are a thing. I personally always keep certain characters handy in case my opponent picks FD etc.

TreK

Is "that guy"
In those 4 characters, one is going to have a better matchup than the others against your one character. The fact that he's not only using that character means his three other characters pull him down.
It's a trade, basically : surprise effect for efficiency. You also have to wager that you can get as good with 4 characters as your opponent can with 1, and not everybody is able to do that.

I wouldn't say it doesn't change anything, but I do think it balances out : if you don't want to, maining a pokémon trainer type all star character might not be the best option at your disposal.

Update on my survey :
5 want it allowed (no change from yesterday t_t)
11 want it banned
18 want it only if it's a side event

Foo

Smash Lord
Wouldn't knowing a specific matchup be less important, as it may only last for a stock or two, rather than for a full game? I'm not sure I follow your logic.
Perhaps I said that poorly. Knowledge of any one matchup would be less important, but overall it would be more beneficial to learn matchups. Basically, currently, you'll need to know your main vs all other characters and your backup vs characters you can't beat with your main. If you are using four characters in all-star, you'll want to learn each of those four characters vs all characters. That's a lot more matchups to learn.

If at some point in all star it becomes ike vs pika and the pika hasn't played pika against ike much but the ike player knows the matchup. That puts the ike player at a huge advantage. On a grander scale, the player who knows matchups better is at a big advantage. While that logic technically would still apply to one character matches, it's a lot easier to know 50 matchups than 160.

Top Bottom