• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Compendium of Landing Lag Information for Smash 4

micstar615

Smash Ace
Lucina, Shulk, Ganondorf and Bowser Jr seemed to have considerably less landing lag on their aerials in that leaked footage compared to what we have seen from characters used in the E3 build, but since it's from smash run...it's hard to say if landing was was really decreased or if landing lag decrease is a result of one of the boosts from Smash Run...here's a video of a Smash Run battle (starts at about 6:08), maybe we can decipher it and see if any of the boosts seemed to have had an effect on aerial landing lag
http://youtu.be/sJatbApPQa4

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Even the highest lag aerials should not have more than 20 frames of landing lag. Most if not all aerials should have less than 15 frames of landing lag. Maybe Link's Down Air can have 25 frames of land-lag at max. Most landing lag should be between 6 and 9 frames. If you go by melee and go by character then a character like bowser should have around 15 frames of lag on his aerials, while a character like falco should have around 9 frames of lag on his aerials. This would allow the game to not need l-canceling because it would basically be in there, it would just be automatic. In melee l-canceled aerials range from 6 frames of land lag to 20 frames on one of bowser's and finally 25 for link and young link's down air. This was a great speed for landing lag and should be replicated in smash 4.

Last edited:

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman

Comparatively in Melee it's 9 frames l-canceled, 19 frames without, and interruptible if the entire sequence takes longer than 35 frames. To put that into perspective, CF's landing animation in Smash 4 is just about the same length as the move+landing lag in Melee using the IASA frames and no l-cancel. Expect it to be a lot closer to the knee in Brawl.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace

Comparatively in Melee it's 9 frames l-canceled, 19 frames without, and interruptible if the entire sequence takes longer than 35 frames. To put that into perspective, CF's landing animation in Smash 4 is just about the same length as the move+landing lag in Melee using the IASA frames and no l-cancel. Expect it to be a lot closer to the knee in Brawl.
Well....That is absolutely abysmal amounts of landing lag. It better kill at 40-50% because that is just getting to the point of ridiculousness.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Well....That is absolutely abysmal amounts of landing lag. It better kill at 40-50% because that is just getting to the point of ridiculousness.
if its a kill move sweetspot like zelda i can see the reasoning in it. or there could be some sweet auto cancels

Senario

Smash Ace
if its a kill move sweetspot like zelda i can see the reasoning in it. or there could be some sweet auto cancels
You forget that zelda is bad in every version of smash besides project M.

There is no justification for that much landing lag on any move. Even 20 frames is pushing it into the territory of you cant do anything with it because it is too risky compared to the reward. Unless it is a rest situation where getting hit by it is hard to do and it kills at nearly any percent it is just excessive.

Just because something is a kill move doesnt justify that much lag. Especially when falcon was terrible in brawl.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
To be fair, Melee Knee was really dumb (albeit awesome), so it's not unreasonable to give it some kind of downside if you're going to bring back that kind of power. We still don't know how much aerial lag it'll have, so offstage Knee could still be viable. Also, it isn't that big of a deal as long as Falcon has ways of comboing into it.

Senario

Smash Ace
To be fair, Melee Knee was really dumb (albeit awesome), so it's not unreasonable to give it some kind of downside if you're going to bring back that kind of power. We still don't know how much aerial lag it'll have, so offstage Knee could still be viable. Also, it isn't that big of a deal as long as Falcon has ways of comboing into it.
Melee knee wasnt that dumb it was based on the physics of the game and speed of falcon. He could follow people but generally falcon had to read his opponents for raw knees. Otherwise he would have to get a hard read with a down air, hit a very telegraphed side B, or do up air shenanigans which were very difficult and semi based on enemy position and percent. I would understand maybe 12 frames of landing lag. But 30 or more? Better instakill at most percents.

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Melee knee wasnt that dumb it was based on the physics of the game and speed of falcon. He could follow people but generally falcon had to read his opponents for raw knees. Otherwise he would have to get a hard read with a down air, hit a very telegraphed side B, or do up air shenanigans which were very difficult and semi based on enemy position and percent. I would understand maybe 12 frames of landing lag. But 30 or more? Better instakill at most percents.
why dose the move have to used in short hops?

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I'm waiting to see how strong it actually is before making a judgment on the move's effectiveness. Either way, that's a ridiculous amount of landing lag. At the very least, nair, bair and uair look good.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
I'm waiting to see how strong it actually is before making a judgment on the move's effectiveness. Either way, that's a ridiculous amount of landing lag. At the very least, nair, bair and uair look good.
We also need to know about any potential autocancel frames. He had them in Brawl, so it wouldn't be remotely surprising at all for him to get some here, because that is a lot of lag even for a kill move.

Senario

Smash Ace
why dose the move have to used in short hops?
Because falcon relies a lot on reads to land his knee. Predicting somebody's roll or where they will land on a platform and Kneeing them is part of his playstyle. The problem is that landing lag is not limited to just short hops. It applies to full hops as well because platforms exist. And taking out platforms is a terrible idea for competitive play because people do not want to play on the same exact stage all the time. At least a few types of variation.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
@ JV5Chris JV5Chris Do you know where I can find that video of Cpt. Falcon? I would like to analyse any and all footage from the final build I can get my hands on.

Off topic Marth GIFs are here:
Am I the only one who thinks that Marth's sword is actually slightly longer on at least SOME of his moves? I know these GIFs aren't perfect for comparison because of camera angle/zoom differences, but just have a look anyway.

The top of the arc, to me at least, looks noticeably further away from Marth's head in Smash 4 than it does in Brawl.

Same deal here; the distance between the tip and his head looks bigger in Smash 4. Like am I crazy? From what I can see Marth's attacks, if they aren't bigger, certainly are not smaller than in Brawl. I don't get how people can say that all of his attacks were reduced in size. Besides, Marth's range is TINY in Brawl. If Marth's sword was somehow shortened again then it would probably like this:

Anyway, I'm gonna start on Megaman in half an hour or so and get this thread back on topic. ;)

Get hype?

Last edited:

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
Because falcon relies a lot on reads to land his knee. Predicting somebody's roll or where they will land on a platform and Kneeing them is part of his playstyle. The problem is that landing lag is not limited to just short hops. It applies to full hops as well because platforms exist. And taking out platforms is a terrible idea for competitive play because people do not want to play on the same exact stage all the time. At least a few types of variation.
Well i guess the knee will just have to be used as a combo finisher and not an aggression move.

D

Deleted member 245254

You don't know what Falcon relies on in Smash 4 because you've never played him in Smash 4.

You really have to stop being negative using the older games as your only reference point.

Smash 4 is completely different from Brawl or Melee or 64, you have to rebuild your view of the characters from the ground up. Every mechanic and frame of lag in the game has been given a purpose. You can feel that when you play it. The fact of the matter is, Smash 4 is not suffering from bad bouts of landing lag, and plenty of players on the demo post-weekend are now confirming this. Every character has low landing lag options. Plenty of them.

An easy to hit sweet spot kill move at low %s with horrendous landing lag sounds fine to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fex13

Smash Apprentice
i agree with zipzo. well just have to wait and actually play the game before judging anything. i bet the landing lag issue isnt half as bad as many people make it out to be. im just hoping that we will be able to combo better than in brawl due to increased hit stun

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
While this is a new game, it is still Smash. Landing lag will have an impact on what moves people use and when. Senario is right here. A rising Captain Falcon knee with lots of landing lag is a higher risk if a platform is involved. As players get better, the move's utility is going to shrink.

Don't take that as some positive or negative remark on Smash 4. It's just the reality of what happens in this franchise as the meta game develops. Expecting Smash 4 to change that is unrealistic. Got maybe a few weeks before players start optimizing and really punish those that want to use their higher risk moves in the neutral game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

While this is a new game, it is still Smash. Landing lag will have an impact on what moves people use and when. Senario is right here. A rising Captain Falcon knee with lots of landing lag is a higher risk if a platform is involved. As players get better, the move's utility is going to shrink.

Don't take that as some positive or negative remark on Smash 4. It's just the reality of what happens in this franchise as the meta game develops. Expecting Smash 4 to change that is unrealistic. Got maybe a few weeks before players start optimizing and really punishing those that want to use their higher risk moves in the neutral game.
Nah, so far the game greatly rewards taking risks. That's why the blast zones are so big...they want you jumping off that stage to knee.

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Nah, so far the game greatly rewards taking risks.
I remember people thinking similar things about Brawl around this time too. It's just way to early to reach any sort of consensus on the matter. Give it some time for people to figure out the game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 245254

I remember people thinking similar things about Brawl around this time too. It's just way to early to reach any sort of conclusion on this matter. Give it some time for people to figure out the game.
I agree it's pretty early but these first impressions we all have are pretty strong. I'm open to the game being 100% the opposite of what it seems right now from all the gameplay we have now but I think we've reached a point where impressions have become pretty solid observations.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Nah, so far the game greatly rewards taking risks. That's why the blast zones are so big...they want you jumping off that stage to knee.
I'd be more inclined to believe that if momentum actually transferred from run to jump.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Just because something is a kill move doesnt justify that much lag. Especially when falcon was terrible in brawl.
Brawl Falcon got nerfed pretty hard in Brawl, more than needed, but by the looks of the footage people took it looks like it kills pretty well but we won't know numbers til release.

Senario

Smash Ace
Brawl Falcon got nerfed pretty hard in Brawl, more than needed, but by the looks of the footage people took it looks like it kills pretty well but we won't know numbers til release.
I just dont see the purpose of doing this unless he has significant tools to make up for the lack of full air momentum being retained from ground as well as how strong stale move negation is in brawl and smash 4. I understand the intent of the mechanic but melee and its version were fine as people had to mix it up to do well. Like his signature downstomp combo, side B knee, gentleman knee, down throw or up throw knee, all would be really cool and make sense since knee is his signature. Like how marth and his dair is signature.

Just feels like he is going to be lackluster which is a huge disappointment for a fan favorite character. Even marth I am questioning about continuing to play him as I did in both melee and project M alongside sheik. Sheik might still be good but I really liked the spacing and spike/gimp oriented playstyle of marth.

Last edited:

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
That might be true if Brawl and Smash 4 didn't have such strong recoveries. Removing momentum based jumping never made much sense to me. Jumping just had a better game feel when when it carried over.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
That might be true if Brawl and Smash 4 didn't have such strong recoveries. Removing momentum based jumping never made much sense to me. Jumping just had a better game feel when when it carried over.
Most of them aren't as good as people think they are.

If anything Project M has all the games beat for, no way to edge guard and stupidly safe recoveries.

Last edited:

JV5Chris

Smash Journeyman
Was referring to simply getting back to the ledge or on stage after chasing someone off. Lots of characters in Smash 4 look like they're more than capable of returning from far distances, both horizontally and vertically.

Last edited:

Senario

Smash Ace
Recoveries are kinda ridiculous in this game. You can recover from so far out. It'll definitely be a gimp heavy game but not sure how balanced that is as some characters just do not gimp that well.

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
landing lag so far over all seems to be a non issue for most if not all of the characters with most of the cast having 2 or more moves that are good for combos or approaches

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
You can't Z-Air out of Air Dodge lag anymore as M2K and D1 were saying. Dodging into the ground is NOT an option at anytime, it lags more than any aerial attack currently on the demo. Basically Air Dodging should never be done close to the ground as you will just get punished with a Smash once you hit the ground.

Top Bottom