• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Reflection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimimaru

Smash Ace
The general attitude of the Smash 64 community has been irking me for a while and I've never spoken out about it. I have been extremely disappointed with our behavior as a community and that needs to change. The community talks about wanting to grow but repels new players on these very boards, "jokes" about things far too often, and does not call out clearly unacceptable behavior as much as it needs to. I feel we need to reflect upon our community and address crucial problems hindering our growth.

For how small the community is, there are too many members on these boards that have been banned from SmashBoards numerous times and have not changed their behavior. Members question the moderators, when the rules are clearly outlined on SmashBoards, instead of calling out the banned member for his/her actions that got him/her banned.

There is far too much "joking" going on, which usually takes the form of insults. I don't mind if people joke around for fun, but this happens far too frequently for me to consider them jokes anymore, and I instead see them as full-on insults. There is a way to have fun without hurting anyone's feelings.

The Skype groups are generally toxic, with users going as far as creating channels that have no purpose other than to insult and/or harrass a specific member, such as the channel called "cuddly is dumb." This behavior should not exist in this community if we truly want to grow, and it certainly doesn't help that new players are the most common victims. Lies are also spread about particular members that others don't like, and the ones spreading the lies are often the most outspoken members of the community.

Now don't get me wrong, there are clearly some very good members of this community trying their hardest to grow it and help others. However, even if you are doing this well in-person, make sure your online behavior reflects that otherwise you are doing a huge disservice to the community. It seems that several toxic members have their voices heard above the rest, and that's no good. We need to call these members out and teach them why this behavior isn't acceptable.

Do we really want to be viewed as a community that turns away new players, doesn't care about what's going on in their own servers, the common entry point of online play, and accepts poor behavior? I love this game, and I know you all do too. Let's put some of that back into our community and show new players why Super Smash Bros. 64 can be so much fun to play.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
The Skype groups are generally toxic, with users going as far as creating channels that have no purpose other than to insult and/or harrass a specific member, such as the channel called "cuddly is dumb."
That chat was titled that by me. That chat was the third chat studstill created to further branch skype chats, which also had half the people studstill added to quit immediately when they realized it was a useless chat (another quarter of people being inactive). The OG skype chat, the one superboomfan has always been a mod of removed people such as cuddly toys, smasherx, and studstill when all he did was cause problems then spout out his ass that 'his chat was better'.

You know, something was done about this,

1. pidge created a irc group chat, which has the following abilities.
  • doesn't just stop randomly scrolling all the time
  • doesn't eat up computers resources for no reason
  • doesn't have multiple channels just to single out single humans
  • YOU CAN ****ING IGNORE INDIVIDUAL PEOPLE, UNLIKE SKYPE GROUP CHAT\
2. a thread, detailing the new irc group chat with easy ways to use it, and how to connect, was stickied on the main 64 section, and added to the sidebar of reddit

You know what happened from this?

1. everyone ignored it and kept using skype, waiting for irc to become "active" instead of actually making it active.

People still use it? And you can still ignore people you don't want to listen to on here.

Last edited:

BananaBolts

I find you quite appealing
A staggering amount of people on these forums are really cool in person but they're totally abrasive and unapologetic online. Please, stop having piss fests online and start being respectable to each other. If you have a problem with a fellow smasher, confront them in a reasonable manner instead of ****talking them with other people.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
**** nuthugging. every community that does it's best to accept everyone ends up being a ***** fest with people crying about everything where you can't say **** like stud's chat. I like the freedom that we have in this community.

You can play games without joining groups. Skype chat shouldn't reflect on the community, Especially since you get people there who don't even actively play there. It's a hang out where people have to be invited and literally anyone can change the title/picture of the group.

Also yeah we should be promoting IRC more since that's more accessible and has better chat features. Plus you can't have people just randomly change the title/picture of the room to something vulgar.

Shears

Smash Master
The general attitude of the Smash 64 community has been irking me for a while and I've never spoken out about it. I have been extremely disappointed with our behavior as a community and that needs to change. The community talks about wanting to grow but repels new players on these very boards, "jokes" about things far too often, and does not call out clearly unacceptable behavior as much as it needs to. I feel we need to reflect upon our community and address crucial problems hindering our growth.

For how small the community is, there are too many members on these boards that have been banned from SmashBoards numerous times and have not changed their behavior. Members question the moderators, when the rules are clearly outlined on SmashBoards, instead of calling out the banned member for his/her actions that got him/her banned.

There is far too much "joking" going on, which usually takes the form of insults. I don't mind if people joke around for fun, but this happens far too frequently for me to consider them jokes anymore, and I instead see them as full-on insults. There is a way to have fun without hurting anyone's feelings.

The Skype groups are generally toxic, with users going as far as creating channels that have no purpose other than to insult and/or harrass a specific member, such as the channel called "cuddly is dumb." This behavior should not exist in this community if we truly want to grow, and it certainly doesn't help that new players are the most common victims. Lies are also spread about particular members that others don't like, and the ones spreading the lies are often the most outspoken members of the community.

Now don't get me wrong, there are clearly some very good members of this community trying their hardest to grow it and help others. However, even if you are doing this well in-person, make sure your online behavior reflects that otherwise you are doing a huge disservice to the community. It seems that several toxic members have their voices heard above the rest, and that's no good. We need to call these members out and teach them why this behavior isn't acceptable.

Do we really want to be viewed as a community that turns away new players, doesn't care about what's going on in their own servers, the common entry point of online play, and accepts poor behavior? I love this game, and I know you all do too. Let's put some of that back into our community and show new players why Super Smash Bros. 64 can be so much fun to play.
If you want people to be called out for their bad behavior then call these people out instead of asking others to call them out.

D

Deleted member

I agree. Most people in the online play community (FU in particular), are rude and spiteful. And have no interest, whatsoever, in bettering the community. People who talk bad about other people, trolls, useless admin, etc. And like Kimi stated, this toxic behavior, seems to carry over to Smashboards, Skype, and so on. With people being unfairly bullied and singled out by fellow members for no reason.

My heart aches for new players wanting to become a part of this community, as so many people make it a negative and unwelcoming experience. There are exceptions of course, but they are few and far between... Often times, if you ask a good player to play, or show you some tips to improve, they don't even go as far as to respond. I have the utmost respect for people like LD, MATTS!, Wizzrobe, etc., that will play with anyone, regardless of skill level, and give great and helpful advice.

I really want to see this community grow and be a positive place for all. And it really aches my heart to see the way it is now. I hope this reflection really opens peoples eyes, and makes a big difference. Thanks Kimi! :)

Morin0

Smash Lord
I agree. Most people in the online play community (FU in particular), are rude and spiteful. And have no interest, whatsoever, in bettering the community. People who talk bad about other people, trolls, useless admin, etc. And like Kimi stated, this toxic behavior, seems to carry over to Smashboards, Skype, and so on. With people being unfairly bullied and singled out by fellow members for no reason.

My heart aches for new players wanting to become a part of this community, as so many people make it a negative and unwelcoming experience. There are exceptions of course, but they are few and far between... Often times, if you ask a good player to play, or show you some tips to improve, they don't even go as far as to respond. I have the utmost respect for people like LD, MATTS!, Wizzrobe, etc., that will play with anyone, regardless of skill level, and give great and helpful advice.

I really want to see this community grow and be a positive place for all. And it really aches my heart to see the way it is now. I hope this reflection really opens peoples eyes, and makes a big difference. Thanks Kimi! :)
Sweet post, dude. Now apply what you are preaching with yourself first.

Morin0

Smash Lord

I believe you do. You see that question mark next to your name above the first account on the bottom? You deleted me (and supposedly blocked me) after adding me because I was having a conversation with Cestus in the SSB64 chat.

images removed for bypassing the censor

You have a history of raging at people because of smash. Anyone that has ever played with you can contest to that. You were like that to me at first, but then you sort of stopped raging when you changed your name to Yumi when we played. You stopped ragequitting after losing to me and actually played the game. You added me because you want to play, and then you block and delete me for some arbitrary reason, which leads me to believe you have not changed, and you probably won't change no matter how many times you change your name. This is why I made that post in reply to yours.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

Not me, sorry. Unfortunately, I'm impersonated a lot online, which is out of my control. :c

Morin0

Smash Lord
Woah really? Well, the "fake" Yumi linked your post in his Yoshi group. This fake Yumi guy is dedicated.

D

Deleted member

Also, please stay on topic. This thread is not about 'me,' or in this case, the lack there of. Thanks. :)

Maybe it's you. I don't know, nor care. I'm not a part of that group, and that's not my picture. In any case, I will not be responding to you anymore.

The Star King

Smash Hero
judging by what I've seen of him yumi is probably cuddlytoys or someone else trolling on an alt

Last edited:

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
Agree with Kimi, community is way way too small to have as many Dbags as it does.This game is extremely fun, the fact that a good amount of people disappear and stop playing should say enough.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I quit skype after Kahnu, Studstill, Cuddlytoys, Gav, Caneut, etc all ended up in the same chat group somehow.

skype is toxic

Last edited:

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
People get bored of playing the same game over and over, and a lot of the players in our community are at that age where life is changing for them and have to focus more on their studies/work. People eventually quit, or they move out, or other events where they have to prioritize life over smash.

Again, joining the smash 64 online groups is not a requirement to play.

If you want to then work on growing the IRC group where we can have better moderation, easier access for new players, and no bs where people can just change skype title/pic etc.

Last edited:

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
People get bored of playing the same game over and over, and a lot of the players in our community are at that age where life is changing for them and have to focus more on their studies/work. People eventually quit, or they move out, or other events where they have to prioritize life over smash.

Again, joining the smash 64 online groups is not a requirement to play.

If you want to then work on growing the IRC group where we can have better moderation, easier access for new players, and no bs where people can just change skype title/pic etc.
I would assume MOST people looking to play a 17 year old game competitively aren't in the greatest standing socially, i for one like community aspect of online games as it allows me to "socialize". I find it funny that you fail to realize this combo, considering you admitted in the past to being social anxious/awkward, as soon as you turn on your computer do you forget what it means to be dejected? It's really sad that anyone in your eyes who calls out bullying is a social justice warrior or a nuthugger.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I would assume MOST people looking to play a 17 year old game competitively aren't in the greatest standing socially, i for one like community aspect of online games as it allows me to "socialize". I find it funny that you fail to realize this combo, considering you admitted in the past to being social anxious/awkward, as soon as you turn on your computer do you forget what it means to be dejected? It's really sad that anyone in your eyes who calls out bullying is a social justice warrior or a nuthugger.
You're projecting.

it applies to me =/= it applies to "most people"

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
You're projecting.

it applies to me =/= it applies to "most people"
Hm? I've been here since November of 2013 I'm basing my opinion on what i have read and seen. You can read all over the internet stories of gamers having issues socially.

The Star King

Smash Hero
yeah they exist but that doesn't mean they're the majority

there is such a thing as a vocal minority

Sedda

Smash Champion
Most if not all of the people who've been "harassed" while I've been here are at least partly at fault (this excludes any interaction anyone has ever had with Caneut).

If people act like idiots online, they're going to be made fun of, and honestly that's fine. Sometimes people do cross the line though, and I didn't have a problem expressing that opinion when the stud vid was first uploaded, for example. If anything I think people should be more vocal about calling others out when they pull bs

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice

Well this discussion will go nowhere.
Damn Star King sometimes i like you, and others i remember how snarky you can be. There's clearly an issue with the mindsets of a lot of people within this community, yet you take the time to discuss the semantics of my statement. If i change "I would assume MOST people" to 'i think a decent number of people', what do you say, Nothing? Or do you find some other minute detail to be condescending about?

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
doesn't care about what's going on in their own servers.
Just saw this.

You can host your own server if you want. Knitephox can help out with setting things up. You'd be able to set your own moderators and have a serious team with legitimate rules on Kaillera if you really want. I think Knitephox mentioned that if another server were to gain more popularity than his server he would his down. Not 100% sure.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
@YuMi cuddlytoys everyone knows you have death threated people and completely anger raged over losing several times. As you were getting booted from boomfans skype group, you continued to tell everyone to "**** themselves" and that "you dont need this chat, assholes. don't make me get logs

D

Deleted member

I generally don't like to call out names, but I feel I'm left with no other choice. @KnitePhox, tops of list of people I blame, for the dire state, in which the online play community is in right now. I brought these exact issues to him, in which I stated, several times, and he said quote, "go f*** yourself." "If you don't like it, you can go play somewhere else." Frankly, I am shocked and embarrassed, that an adult would act in such manner. Here's a guy, who owns arguably the most popular SSB64 server online, "SMASH FU NEW YORK." He has all the power to make a real positive difference, for everyone in this community, and he does absolutely NOTHING. No wonder so many people are leaving or have already left. Nothing but hate, negativity, and just horrible people.

caneut

Smash Ace
i think we should ban cuddly here too. week or two and maybe he will stop blaming everyone besides himself

Twilight Sparkle

I don't play Luigi/DK/Samus much
I don't know, @KnitePhox has been overall kind to me and many others. Maybe you two got off to a bad start @YuMi?

Though I have to agree that many people online have a tendency to be rude to others, either in jest (which is hard to determine online) or really meaning it. Having been online for a few years now I've learned to roll with the punches and just go with things.However it can be quite disheartening to new players to be exposed to an environment where people joke around pretty heavily or trash talk to the point of blatant insults. Golden rule applies everywhere.

Sure some playful/competitive banter can be fun but I suppose the key is moderation.

...and not being a ****.

D

Deleted member

And mark my words... unless things drastically change for the better, I will see to it, that new players, steer well clear of this server. And that's a promise. I, along with many others, actually care about bringing positivity to this community. And I think Smashboards is a great start for this. :)

Sedda

Smash Champion
I generally don't like to call out names, but I feel I'm left with no other choice. @KnitePhox, tops of list of people I blame, for the dire state, in which the online play community is in right now. I brought these exact issues to him, in which I stated, several times, and he said quote, "go f*** yourself." "If you don't like it, you can go play somewhere else." Frankly, I am shocked and embarrassed, that an adult would act in such manner. Here's a guy, who owns arguably the most popular SSB64 server online, "SMASH FU NEW YORK." He has all the power to make a real positive difference, for everyone in this community, and he does absolutely NOTHING. No wonder so many people are leaving or have already left. Nothing but hate, negativity, and just horrible people.
Yeaaaaah no

If it wasn't for Knitephox and a couple other people, there wouldn't be any online scene to complain about.

The only times I've ever seen Knitephox say this kinda **** in chat is when someone is trying to get smart with him. If the stuff Near said is any indication of how you behave, then there you go.

Knitephox does have the power to make a real positive difference, and he has done just that many many times.

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
And mark my words... unless things drastically change for the better, I will see to it, that new players, steer well clear of this server. And that's a promise. I, along with many others, actually care about bringing positivity to this community. And I think Smashboards is a great start for this. :)
Probably the funniest thing I have read in a while

The Star King

Smash Hero
Well this discussion will go nowhere.
Damn Star King sometimes i like you, and others i remember how snarky you can be. There's clearly an issue with the mindsets of a lot of people within this community, yet you take the time to discuss the semantics of my statement. If i change "I would assume MOST people" to 'i think a decent number of people', what do you say, Nothing? Or do you find some other minute detail to be condescending about?
Don't make generalizations then. Yeah, I would've said nothing, and no, it's not a minute detail.

yOLORIN said:
I would assume MOST people looking to play a 17 year old game competitively aren't in the greatest standing socially, i for one like community aspect of online games as it allows me to "socialize".
I didn't like how this kind of implied the draw of 64 is apparently a social aspect, not the quality of the game. What relation does 64 being a 17 year old game have to do with the social standing of the people who play it, I wonder?

How was I supposed to disagree without being apparently "condescending"? How could I have been less condescending? It's starting to feel like some people pull that word out every time they get disagreed with because I don't see how my previous posts could be improved while retaining the same message. I'm not trying to sound condescending right now, but the further I get pulled into an argument the more my words will sound that way, I guess.

Last edited:

Morin0

Smash Lord
Warning Received
I generally don't like to call out names, but I feel I'm left with no other choice. @KnitePhox, tops of list of people I blame, for the dire state, in which the online play community is in right now. I brought these exact issues to him, in which I stated, several times, and he said quote, "go **** yourself." "If you don't like it, you can go play somewhere else." Frankly, I am shocked and embarrassed, that an adult would act in such manner. Here's a guy, who owns arguably the most popular SSB64 server online, "SMASH FU NEW YORK." He has all the power to make a real positive difference, for everyone in this community, and he does absolutely NOTHING. No wonder so many people are leaving or have already left. Nothing but hate, negativity, and just horrible people.
This is some Kahnu two faced, woe is me, everyone is so mean, why are people such assholes to me type of ****. I'm getting real tired of people like cuddly/yumi who are assholes and then are so shocked when people give them **** for it.

images removed due to censor bypass

yOLORIN

Smash Apprentice
Don't make generalizations then. Yeah, I would've said nothing, and no, it's not a minute detail.

I didn't like how this kind of implied the draw of 64 is apparently a social aspect, not the quality of the game. What relation does 64 being a 17 year old game have to do with the social standing of the people who play it, I wonder?

How was I supposed to disagree without being apparently "condescending"? How could I have been less condescending? It's starting to feel like some people pull that word out every time they get disagreed with because I don't see how my previous posts could be improved while retaining the same message. I'm not trying to sound condescending right now, but the further I get pulled into an argument the more my words will sound that way, I guess.
To you it's a generalization to me it's a statement i made based upon the year and a half i spent here.
I said how good the game was a few posts ago. I just said i like the aspect of communities online, i don't see where i implied the main draw of 64 was socializing. The older the game the older the people playing it, which generally means less free time for a majority of people.

You don't see how this is unnecessarily condescending? The fact that you fail to certainly strengthens my "generalization"

delete please.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I think we can all agree this had gone on for long enough. I'll be closing this thread. If you have any questions, direct them to myself, @Madao, or @Sangoku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom