• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Reference: Dealing with 'Jank' (Current: Sheik's Needle Camping & Customs Palutena)

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
:4sheik:
Needle Storm Frame Data (Source: Kurogane Hammer)
Throw Startup (Partial Charge): F5
Throw Startup (Full Charge): F11
Needles take 13 frames to reach max distance once thrown. (I could have sworn someone said this was 5 frames in the character thread but it moves along at such a fast clip I can't find the post anymore. Whatever.)
Needles are stronger up close and weaker at a distance. They lose damage at frame 4, or a little under 25% of their max range.
No data for Penetrating Needles.

English Interpretation:
Partially charged needles start up faster than a full charge and are thus harder to react to (read: shield). That's an unusual thing I didn't expect. At max range, the time it takes for them to travel can give you a bit of leeway, but unless you're Sonic or something you probably can't punish it from max range anyway so that's a wash. I don't know how much cooldown she has on the move in general. A partial charge, having only 5 frames of startup when thrown, is probably unreactable. (Unless, again, you're at max range.)

:4palutena:
Details on Lightweight, since I'd bet money its workings aren't common knowledge:
For 10 (maybe 15?) seconds, Palutena runs faster and jumps higher, as if Shulk were using his Jump and Speed arts simultaneously. In exchange, she takes 1.1x more damage. She does not become lighter, despite the move's name and basically every commentator ever's statement to the contrary. Once the effect wears off, Palutena starts flashing and moves much slower for 10 seconds. 5 seconds after that, she'll sparkle briefly to indicate the move is available for use again.

The Lightweight glitch involves standing on a fall-through platform, pressing down as if you want to fall through, then pressing B before falling. This lets you use Lightweight literally whenever you want, even if you're currently under the effects of the move already, currently slowed down afterwards, or waiting for the cooldown to end. The timing is strict but easy enough with practice. My current speculation/hypothesis is that the beginning frames of the fallthrough state are getting canceled by Lightweight and that this specific state isn't subject to the normal checks to prevent consecutive use of the move. Compare jump canceled usmashes and similar.

While under the effects of Lightweight, Palutena can get (probably guaranteed?) followups off of dthrow at basically any percent. dthrow > nair > dj uair in particular is a powerful kill combo if she reads the DI right since the nair will autolink and carry the target along her massive jump trajectory, resulting in easier uair kills now that you're closer to the upper blast zone. Her uair setups off of dthrow are known as the "Holy Hoo-Hah", "Hallelu-Hah", or "Hoo-Hallelujah" depending on who you ask.

Super Speed is much less complex in general (Palutena dashes forward with a hitbox, can cancel it with dash attack, dash grab, or jump, combos possible, note the possibility of jump canceled usmashes), but it's important to note that it has a 5 second cooldown after the move ends before it can be used again. When ready, a blue spark will appear briefly on Palutena.
The needle stuff was being discussed in the Character Competitive Impressions thread; I've seen the 5-frame travel time a number of times there. I'll see if I can track down info on Piercing Needles soon.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
:4sheik:
Needle Storm Frame Data (Source: Kurogane Hammer)
Throw Startup (Partial Charge): F5
Throw Startup (Full Charge): F11
Needles take 13 frames to reach max distance once thrown. (I could have sworn someone said this was 5 frames in the character thread but it moves along at such a fast clip I can't find the post anymore. Whatever.)
Needles are stronger up close and weaker at a distance. They lose damage at frame 4, or a little under 25% of their max range.
No data for Penetrating Needles.

English Interpretation:
Partially charged needles start up faster than a full charge and are thus harder to react to (read: shield). That's an unusual thing I didn't expect. At max range, the time it takes for them to travel can give you a bit of leeway, but unless you're Sonic or something you probably can't punish it from max range anyway so that's a wash. I don't know how much cooldown she has on the move in general. A partial charge, having only 5 frames of startup when thrown, is probably unreactable. (Unless, again, you're at max range.)
I said that about needles. I fairly certain that that source is talking about how many frames until the last needle reaches max distance. My data says that needles only have a hitbox for 5 frames, so it's 5 frames for an individual needle, but they aren't thrown at the same time.

Specifically, Needles do 1.9% each on frames 1-3, and 1.2 on frames 4-5.

BEGIN sheik_needle
Needles
Frame 1- 3: 1.9% 0b/180g (KO@ 423%) 60° 0.8-Hitlag Pierce
Frame 4- 5: 1.2% 0b/180g (KO@ 423%) 60° 0.8-Hitlag Pierce
Max Damage: 1.9%

Penetrating Needles
Frame 1- 5: 2.2%(+9) 0b/180g (KO@ 393%) 60° 1.1-Hitlag Electric
Frame 6- 7: 1.6%(+7) 0b/180g (KO@ 459%) 60° 1.1-Hitlag Electric
Max Damage: 2.2%

Paralyzing Needle
Frame 1- 2: 1% 5b/200g (KO@ 484%) 60° 2.0-Hitlag Stun
Max Damage: 1%

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I said that about needles. I fairly certain that that source is talking about how many frames until the last needle reaches max distance. My data says that needles only have a hitbox for 5 frames, so it's 5 frames for an individual needle, but they aren't thrown at the same time.

Specifically, Needles do 1.9% each on frames 1-3, and 1.2 on frames 4-5.

BEGIN sheik_needle
Needles
Frame 1- 3: 1.9% 0b/180g (KO@ 423%) 60° 0.8-Hitlag Pierce
Frame 4- 5: 1.2% 0b/180g (KO@ 423%) 60° 0.8-Hitlag Pierce
Max Damage: 1.9%

Penetrating Needles
Frame 1- 5: 2.2%(+9) 0b/180g (KO@ 393%) 60° 1.1-Hitlag Electric
Frame 6- 7: 1.6%(+7) 0b/180g (KO@ 459%) 60° 1.1-Hitlag Electric
Max Damage: 2.2%

Paralyzing Needle
Frame 1- 2: 1% 5b/200g (KO@ 484%) 60° 2.0-Hitlag Stun
Max Damage: 1%
That makes more sense that an individual needle takes 5 frames. So they lose damage once they hit 60% of their max range if I'm interpreting the numbers right.

Thor

Smash Champion
Something I want to mention briefly about Luigi:

First, I know Luigi's anti-dthrow guide is "complete", but for DIing Luigi Cyclone, when you are about to be hit by the last hit [assuming they did the correct amount of mashing so you don't fall out], you want to hold toward the side of Luigi you are on [so if you are on the left of Luigi, hold left], as this will cause you to fly at a more diagonal angle [I was told this, tried it out and it seemed to work - I suspect it has something to do with the angle being slightly different depending on what side you are on, but I do not know]. This could be briefly tested or ignored, but I do it personally and it might not be bad to add to the OP [I did not see it there].

As far as dealing with Sheik's needles goes, I think we should compile a list of who can shorthop over them [can everyone? Can anyone?] (as an example, I think Sheik can shorthop over another Sheik's needles, but I do not believe Ganondorf can, or else he needs more precise timing). And one BIG thing to note about Sheik opting for 2111 - if they have a full stack of penetrating needles charged and they throw a burst grenade, DO NOT shield the burst grenade - roll away or jump airdodge if you have to, but if you shield the burst grenade and they fire the needles, your shield will break! It may not technically be a full shield break if you were to bring your shield up the frame before burst grenade started hitting (that is, if you shield as late as possible or successfully powershield part of it), but I have broken my opponent's shield with this trick at least once, and it certainly seems reliable if you can force them into shield with the burst grenade.

EDIT: Also, unless I'm missing something, Villager's balloons seem to tend to do about 7% [and can do as much as 9%]... yet it's listed as 5% in the second post.

Last edited:

TriTails

Smash Lord
Luigi shorthops over Sheik's needles, which opens up an opportunity for him to throw out a Fireball and hit Sheik if she is in range/does not move.

I'm pretty sure Greninja can too.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Something I want to mention briefly about Luigi:

First, I know Luigi's anti-dthrow guide is "complete", but for DIing Luigi Cyclone, when you are about to be hit by the last hit [assuming they did the correct amount of mashing so you don't fall out], you want to hold toward the side of Luigi you are on [so if you are on the left of Luigi, hold left], as this will cause you to fly at a more diagonal angle [I was told this, tried it out and it seemed to work - I suspect it has something to do with the angle being slightly different depending on what side you are on, but I do not know]. This could be briefly tested or ignored, but I do it personally and it might not be bad to add to the OP [I did not see it there].

As far as dealing with Sheik's needles goes, I think we should compile a list of who can shorthop over them [can everyone? Can anyone?] (as an example, I think Sheik can shorthop over another Sheik's needles, but I do not believe Ganondorf can, or else he needs more precise timing). And one BIG thing to note about Sheik opting for 2111 - if they have a full stack of penetrating needles charged and they throw a burst grenade, DO NOT shield the burst grenade - roll away or jump airdodge if you have to, but if you shield the burst grenade and they fire the needles, your shield will break! It may not technically be a full shield break if you were to bring your shield up the frame before burst grenade started hitting (that is, if you shield as late as possible or successfully powershield part of it), but I have broken my opponent's shield with this trick at least once, and it certainly seems reliable if you can force them into shield with the burst grenade.

EDIT: Also, unless I'm missing something, Villager's balloons seem to tend to do about 7% [and can do as much as 9%]... yet it's listed as 5% in the second post.
I'll test some of this stuff soon, but I just got back from EVO today so I'm pretty exhausted; expect it in the next day or two. Thanks for the heads up, though!

Top Bottom