• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community Reference: Dealing with 'Jank' (Current: Sheik's Needle Camping & Customs Palutena)

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
I haven't really fought against a campy villager with those custom moves yet but I wonder, how will link's meteor bomb help out in this situation? What I'm thinking is that the second time they go to the ledge and lose their invincibility a link player can throw a meteor bomb at them and continue until they spike the villager. There's also the power bow that can rack up percentage easily. Like I said thought haven't fought the match so don't know if this will really work

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I haven't really fought against a campy villager with those custom moves yet but I wonder, how will link's meteor bomb help out in this situation? What I'm thinking is that the second time they go to the ledge and lose their invincibility a link player can throw a meteor bomb at them and continue until they spike the villager. There's also the power box that can rack up percentage easily. Like I said thought haven't fought the match so don't know if this will really work
Meteor Bombs seem to have a fairly weak spike, all things considered. I doubt it would kill Villager outright unless he's already at silly percents in which case go for it I guess.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
It might buy him time to get to the ledge for a trump, though. Not to mention that Link can stop the Gyros and slingshot by standing still, so if he can get the damage lead, he's gonna be able to out-camp villager.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
Link would benefit more from popping Villager up with normal bombs. If you had a good shot to spike him, trading and going for down air is far more worth it.

I analyzed alot what I saw in another post though in a social thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/hous...ment-in-houston.344694/page-217#post-18813450

Snakeee got outplayed by quite a bit there. ADHD could have just pressured him every time he lost his Luma, but he just kept trolling. Instead of warping luma directly on top of active hitboxes, he should have warped luma past the ledge where it could safely shoot ADHD in the back. Running default starbits would have been much better here as they aren't projectiles, but luma in general counters this strategy.

Tweek could have won the first match if he stuck to his strategy, but like Nairo I think he may have just figured ADHD would stop camping once he was losing. Shoutouts to Diddy Kong being an easier way to win than custom Villager though. Giant Mechakoopa would be nice here as you can just use the massive explosion without having to actually hit villager with it, but he did great and showed how easy it is to adapt to.

With all that said, ADHD could have played better if he wasn't trying to prove a point.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Link would benefit more from popping Villager up with normal bombs. If you had a good shot to spike him, trading and going for down air is far more worth it.

I analyzed alot what I saw in another post though in a social thread.
http://smashboards.com/threads/hous...ment-in-houston.344694/page-217#post-18813450

Snakeee got outplayed by quite a bit there. ADHD could have just pressured him every time he lost his Luma, but he just kept trolling. Instead of warping luma directly on top of active hitboxes, he should have warped luma past the ledge where it could safely shoot ADHD in the back. Running default starbits would have been much better here as they aren't projectiles, but luma in general counters this strategy.

Tweek could have won the first match if he stuck to his strategy, but like Nairo I think he may have just figured ADHD would stop camping once he was losing. Shoutouts to Diddy Kong being an easier way to win than custom Villager though. Giant Mechakoopa would be nice here as you can just use the massive explosion without having to actually hit villager with it, but he did great and showed how easy it is to adapt to.

With all that said, ADHD could have played better if he wasn't trying to prove a point.
How would Floaty Star Bit do if Luma shot it at the ledge from offstage? It's a transcendent lingering projectile that Villager can admittedly pocket but I can see it forcing him to make a decision in a hurry.

Teshie U

Smash Lord
I'm not entirely sure what floaty starbit does on his nor do I know how laggy it is. I know default pops people up and would be perfect for this situation.

Luma is admittedly easy to kill in this situation floating off stage, but rosalina getting a percent lead on someone ledge camping is trivial.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Heres the two matches you've been waiting for.

ADHD vs Dapuffster

ADHD vs Jtails

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It does not.
Which I have abused in order to more easily figure out kill % for a few moves. Otherwise I'd have to heal whenever I change the damage meters.

Come to think of it that's probably exactly why rage doesn't apply in training. Similarly for stale moves.

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
So. Diddy Kong.

At low %s, DI towards Diddy and up. While this won't avoid the first uair, it will make it so that the uair will send you flying off in a direction Diddy can't really follow you - the best you're gonna get in that situation, honestly. At high %s, DI down and away - this makes it possible to airdodge the uair if it comes, and turns it into a mixup situation, rather than a "whoops I died" situation. Added bonus: if he does nail you, you die a little later. Also, ban Halberd, because on Halberd, dthrow->uair starts killing before you can DI out at all.
This is the only real post (besides my... attempt, which wasn't that useful I feel) about what to do once he has you in a grab; I'd like to get more discussion on this (even if it's just people agreeing and/or adding to it), because I'm pretty sure that most people have at least some sort of idea on what to do.

Basically though, is this post correct, and if not (or even if so) what needs to be added or changed about it?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
So I did quite a bit of labbing against the Villager ledge stall tactics. I am happy to report they are not difficult to beat at all for any character.

Villager's basic gameplan is to repeatedly grab the ledge under the cover of Exploding Balloon Trip. If he or she gets an opening, the Villager will put a Timber Counter sapling in the way of the ledge to be obstructive, and if you are far away from the ledge, the Villager may jump up above the ledge briefly to use a Lloid Rocket (especially Pushy Lloid but default works fine) or shoot a slingshot. That is basically the entirety of Villager's ledge stall game.

This gameplan has several critical flaws. With Exploding Balloon Trip, Villager's recovery is more limited and predictable; not too far after a drop, you as the on-stage defender have a pretty good idea when Villager is going to use Exploding Balloon Trip and when the ledge will be grabbed. Additionally, if Villager has not touched his or her feet on the stage or been hit since his or her last ledge grab, the ledge grab will have no invincibility. Finally, it's very important to note that Villager is one of the characters whose head pokes above the stage when grabbing a ledge. If you put it all together, you know about when and where a character is going to do a committed animation that is entirely hittable and puts the character's hurtbox in a place that is easy to hit.

For most characters, the easiest solution is down smash. As soon as Villager starts up Exploding Balloon Trip (if he or she has already grabbed the ledge at least once in that air time), begin charging a down smash very close to the ledge. Time the release to hit right as Villager makes a non-invincible grab. Your down smash will trade with one of the balloons. You'll take 5% and be launched the far way along the stage. Villager will take whatever damage your dsmash does (hopefully more than 5%!) and will be stage spiked. Being Villager this very well may not kill right away, but the stage spike will prove dangerous at much earlier percentages than the balloons will prove dangerous to you. Even if you have an otherwise poor down smash like Jigglypuff's, it works great. Only down smashes that have strange (and not useful) hit properties or that hit very high on the user's body are going to be a concern.

If your character for whatever reason has a dsmash that is undesirable for this, most dairs work pretty well too (dairs that are meteors are extra rewarding!). You'll trade, but it should be a damage favorable trade that will inevitably kill Villager long before the balloon hit is dangerous to the on-stage player. It's actually amazingly easy to time the dair; Villager is VERY predictable when doing this. The main two characters I imagine will be pursuing this as a primary tactic are Ganondorf and Captain Falcon. Rosalina also might do this indirectly by using Luma Warp to put Luma's dair in the way. Luma dies a lot when you do this, but Luma's dair is very good at hitting this and you aren't risking any damage to Rosalina when you go for it.

Down angled fsmashes can also work too, but ones that only angle in a more shallow way (like Rosalina's) are a bit awkward. Ones that can angle down a lot like Wario's work VERY well; it's hilarious just how free this is for Wario to fsmash which also kills stupidly early in this situation, and that's just great as otherwise Wario would be one of the characters who would have a harder time.

If there's a sapling in the way, you may not be able to get in position. In that case, just wait out the sapling but stay vaguely close to the ledge. The sapling is on a timer, and you can simply not allow the Villager to plant another (which requires getting up on stage past your defenses). Also, be cautious about the balloons in this way. The balloons seem to follow a semi-random movement pattern. Villager's timing and spacing seems to have some effect on where they go, but it doesn't seem fully consistent. Sometimes the balloons from a previous grab will float up very close to the ledge and will make it nearly impossible to throw out an appropriate attack to counter the next one. In that case, just shield and try again on the next grab. It's seemingly super rare if not impossible for Villager to get three grabs in a row with perfectly positioned balloons so your shield should always hold up long enough to do this

Another notable option that is available to every character is ledge trumping. Due to the predictable timing of the grab, it's VERY easy to ledge trump a Villager doing this. If you are playing as a character like Sheik or Meta Knight who can capitalize off ledge trumps very effectively, you may find this more useful than the simple damage favorable trade plan. Even if you are playing as a character with awful ledge trump options, the mere act of trumping will "waste" Villager's balloons from that cycle. That means that, if you are being annoyed a lot by balloons from previous grabs messing up your ability to charge up that dsmash, you can just do a trump, climb back on stage, and then use your dsmash to cover the ledge with impunity.

Any character with a projectile that can hit along the ground or lower can rely on that. Villager can use the pocket to be obnoxious in some match-ups, but in others, it will be no help. Our experimentation showed that Mario of all characters is uniquely good here. If Mario spaces near the max distance of fireballs on a stage with flat ground and just mashes B, he beats this for free. He fires his projectiles with such a rate that he gets a guaranteed hit on any non-invincible Villager ledge grab, and he will be standing far enough away that even the longest range exploding balloons cannot hit him. If Villager doesn't have a stock lead, Villager will be absolutely forced off the ledge by this simple tactic. Sadly and strangely, Luigi's Bouncing Fireball custom didn't work out nearly as well...

Sonic has a unique tool to punish this in the spring. Generally trying to attack the Villager before the ledge grab is extremely risky since the balloons are an extremely effective defense from above. However, Sonic's spring is a unique "straight down" projectile that travels far and can be thrown very safely. If you get a chance to drop a spring on the balloons, it will pop one. With only one balloon left, Villager won't be able to get enough lift to grab the ledge easily; he or she will be forced to manually pop the remaining balloon for the big burst of height. This animation is unable to grab the ledge until it completes. If the Sonic player was smart and did a short hop spring -> auto cancel dair to drop that spring, he'll be in an ideal position to punish Villager flying up past the ledge with any move of his choice. Sadly, the double spring didn't prove as useful as you might hope with my limited testing; summoning the second spring dismisses the first which makes it hard to pop both balloons in time, but if you timed it really cleverly, double spring might be able to force kills in a hilarious manner.

The easiest answer, however, belongs to the perhaps unexpected Greninja. Greninja's Exploding Attack (down special 2) just hard counters this. Exploding Attack has invincibility and summons and explosion that hits all around Greninja including covering the ledge. If you literally stand over the ledge and mash down-B, the explosion will destroy all balloons with such a timing that the invincibility frames protect you. You literally cannot be hit by Exploding Balloon Trip while spamming this move, and it is active enough that you're pretty well assured to hit a non-invincible ledge grab as well with it. It also will beat Villager's uair from the ledge, and Villager can't easily move around it. Villager's only option as far as I can tell is to take the hit, make an invincible ledge grab, and use that ledge invincibility to get back on stage so, as Greninja, you can look at a Villager doing this as being absolutely forced into taking a hit and then facing a ledge trap mix-up. If you ever have to fight a Villager who you know only knows how to use this stalling tactic, just pick Greninja, be sure you have Exploding Attack, and enjoy your free win.

More advanced players may find some more intricate and timing sensitive answers, but with what I have above, I feel there's more than enough known for every character in the game to have an easy time stopping this tactic. It's very jarring at first, and if you don't realize that the balloons are a low damage move that's easy to trade with and instead just focus on avoiding all damage at all costs, you'll need a lot of patience and care to beat this. Once you realize that you can just trade hits and win by large margins, the tactic for Villager kinda falls to pieces. I commend the cleverness of the players who came up with this gimmick, but it will not be seeing tournament success in the future.

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Falcon can uses his Dtilt. It's actually so efficient than ledge camping become really bad. Dtilt put villager in one of the worst position when you have a slow, predictible recovery.
Don't know if ganon Dtilt hit beneath the ledge. If it does, villager would be poped up, and with dark fist you can end the stock quickly.

Thundering TNT

Smash Cadet
I am really enjoying reading this thread and really like some of the advice given on howto beat this kind of stuff.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Any character with a projectile that can hit along the ground or lower can rely on that. Villager can use the pocket to be obnoxious in some match-ups, but in others, it will be no help. Our experimentation showed that Mario of all characters is uniquely good here. If Mario spaces near the max distance of fireballs on a stage with flat ground and just mashes B, he beats this for free. He fires his projectiles with such a rate that he gets a guaranteed hit on any non-invincible Villager ledge grab, and he will be standing far enough away that even the longest range exploding balloons cannot hit him. If Villager doesn't have a stock lead, Villager will be absolutely forced off the ledge by this simple tactic. Sadly and strangely, Luigi's Bouncing Fireball custom didn't work out nearly as well...
This is excellent news considering Mario's downward options aren't great against Villager's U-air, so there's no need for Mario to put himself at risk at all and he can just fireball and cape everything. Even more free than I originally thought.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
I've recently played a lot of matches against some of my friends who use Villager. The ledge camping strategy certainly takes some work but it really wasn't hard for them emulate ADHD's gameplay, especially since standard Villager can incorporate similar ledge play with Fair and fully grown trees. I played with a variety of characters and noted down my results, hopefully you'll find them useful.

:4greninja:- The frog doesn't have as bad of a time with this as people say. Water Shuriken and Shifting Shuriken both outrange Villager's Fair, and any exploding balloons Villager sends toward the stage. Both projectiles can hit him on the ledge. To dispell some myths, you do not need to fully charge Water Shuriken to hit Villager on the ledge, you can hit him with literally any level of charge besides totally uncharged. So you can hurl 5% damaging Shurikens at him pretty quickly and easily hit him on the ledge. Shifting Shuriken is not as useful in this MU because it doesn't pull Villager towards you when he's on the ledge and has more ending lag than the default. The main thing you have to watch out for is pocket, but Villager can only pocket one at a time and partially charged Shurikens aren't too threatening. Hydro Pump can be useful too because it can hit Villager when he goes above the stage and push him away, but it's harder to outrange Fair. Something else you can do as a mixup is jump over villager and Hydro Pump upward so that you can hit him, similar to how Bowser Jr. can hit him with the exploding Clown Car. You don't get much damage out of that though and are usually better off pressuring with Shurikens. I won well over 50% of my matches against this strategy with Greninja but in fairness I think this could get harder for him with more cerebral use of the Lloid Rocket.

EDIT: To touch on the findings of @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos regarding Exploding Attack, it is indeed useful for hitting Villager on the ledge and avoiding some of his attacks. However I didn't find myself able to beat this strat with this attack alone. For one thing, if Villager plants a sapling right on the ledge, Greninja cannot reach the range he needs to be in for the explosion to hit Villager on the ledge and allow him to be safe from Villager simply drifting away and using Lloid/Fair. Thankfully Greninja has the option of waiting the sapling out since it disappears after 14 seconds but while it's there, Exploding Attack isn't too helpful. The attack also has significant startup and ending lag during which Greninja is vulnerable. Villager can do things like drop away from the ledge on reaction to Greninja disappearing, wait for the explosion, then double jump and Fair. This attack has several flaws which I think makes it a hard sell over regular Substitute, which can be really useful against Lloids, balloons and Fair since countering the projectiles will still allow Greninja to hit Villager if he's in range.

:4bowserjr:- Obviously I'm nowhere near as good as Tweek but by emulating some of his strategies I found Bowser Jr. to be quite successful. My issue with Bowjow is that he lacks the tools to hit Villager while he's actually hanging on the ledge, which is crucial since the biggest weakness of Villager's ledge camping is probably the fact that subsequent ledge snaps lock him into a vulnerable animation with no invincibility.

:4pit:- Tons of options here. His reflector can send Lloids hurtling back and he can angle his arrows to hit Villager on the ledge. Arrows also outrange Villager massively. Note that Dark Pit isn't as effective against Villager because it's harder to angle his arrows to hit him. However it is still possible, and Dark Pit's arrows deal more damage so if you can consistently hit Villager with Dark Pit's arrows he might be the better choice.

:4sheik:- Sheik kinda destroys Villager up close but has trouble forcing him off the ledge. Default needles are good if you can fully charge them, then full jump and fire them at Villager from the stage. You can follow up with Bouncing Fish at high percents as a true kill combo. Sheik has powerful aerials and it's not out of the question to simply jump off stage and hit Villager with Nair and Bair, but of course you have to be wary of Villager's own offstage game which is pretty strong. Bouncing Fish can hit Villager on or around the ledge but be VERY careful of using it, if he reads it and airdodges he can smack you with a Dair if he ends up above you. Works best as a surprise option. Burst Grenade can hit villager fairly safely but it's really laggy and easy to avoid. Gravity Grenade is better because it explodes quicker, but has the same issue as Shifting Shuriken in that it won't drag Villager toward you if you hit him on the ledge. Both grenades have slight range issues too, if you don't space well it's pretty easy for Villager to Fair you. Remember to use aerial grenades to increase their range. I think Sheik is limited by this Villager strategy similar to Diddy, but probably not as badly.

:4pikachu:- Spamming default Thunder Jolt gives Villager a lot of trouble. It's really quite simple. You saw Jtails beat ADHD consistently, I was able to win by emulating the same strategy. You can use Thunder Wave as well but you have to be more careful because it's laggier, has less range and doesn't deal as much damage. You get great follow-ups at higher percents though. Heavy Skull Bash is also an asset in this MU when the trip sapling isn't in play.

:4metaknight:- Struggles a lot with this. No projectiles at all, and while he can hit Villager off the ledge pretty easily it's very hard for him to get through the trip sapling and (to a lesser extent) Lloids. Nado can plow through stuff but it's pretty punishable in this game and you probably won't hit Villager with it if he hangs out carefully below the stage. It's hard to pick him up off the ledge with it. MK doesn't get much help from customs either.

:4ganondorf: - Also troubled. Ganon not only lacks projectiles, he lacks mobility and attacks that can hit villager on the ledge. Wizard's Dropkick is his best asset for approaching and maybe hitting villager, but Ganon really doesn't have many options here.

That's it for the characters I've tried so far, I plan to test out my other characters (:4falco:, :4ness: and :4drmario:) soon. Hopefully some of you found a few of my observations helpful.

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I've recently played a lot of matches against some of my friends who use Villager. The ledge camping strategy certainly takes some work but it really wasn't hard for them emulate ADHD's gameplay, especially since standard Villager can incorporate similar ledge play with Fair and fully grown trees. I played with a variety of characters and noted down my results, hopefully you'll find them useful.

:4greninja:- The frog doesn't have as bad of a time with this as people say. Water Shuriken and Shifting Shuriken both outrange Villager's Fair, and any exploding balloons Villager sends toward the stage. Both projectiles can hit him on the ledge. To dispell some myths, you do not need to fully charge Water Shuriken to hit Villager on the ledge, you can hit him with literally any level of charge besides totally uncharged. So you can hurl 5% damaging Shurikens at him pretty quickly and easily hit him on the ledge. Shifting Shuriken is not as useful in this MU because it doesn't pull Villager towards you when he's on the ledge and has more ending lag than the default. The main thing you have to watch out for is pocket, but Villager can only pocket one at a time and partially charged Shurikens aren't too threatening. Hydro Pump can be useful too because it can hit Villager when he goes above the stage and push him away, but it's harder to outrange Fair. Something else you can do as a mixup is jump over villager and Hydro Pump upward so that you can hit him, similar to how Bowser Jr. can hit him with the exploding Clown Car. You don't get much damage out of that though and are usually better off pressuring with Shurikens. I won well over 50% of my matches against this strategy with Greninja but in fairness I think this could get harder for him with more cerebral use of the Lloid Rocket.

:4bowserjr:- Obviously I'm nowhere near as good as Tweek but by emulating some of his strategies I found Bowser Jr. to be quite successful. My issue with Bowjow is that he lacks the tools to hit Villager while he's actually hanging on the ledge, which is crucial since the biggest weakness of Villager's ledge camping is probably the fact that subsequent ledge snaps lock him into a vulnerable animation with no invincibility.

:4pit:- Tons of options here. His reflector can send Lloids hurtling back and he can angle his arrows to hit Villager on the ledge. Arrows also outrange Villager massively. Note that Dark Pit isn't as effective against Villager because it's harder to angle his arrows to hit him. However it is still possible, and Dark Pit's arrows deal more damage so if you can consistently hit Villager with Dark Pit's arrows he might be the better choice.

:4sheik:- Sheik kinda destroys Villager up close but has trouble forcing him off the ledge. Default needles are good if you can fully charge them, then full jump and fire them at Villager from the stage. You can follow up with Bouncing Fish at high percents as a true kill combo. Sheik has powerful aerials and it's not out of the question to simply jump off stage and hit Villager with Nair and Bair, but of course you have to be wary of Villager's own offstage game which is pretty strong. Bouncing Fish can hit Villager on or around the ledge but be VERY careful of using it, if he reads it and airdodges he can smack you with a Dair if he ends up above you. Works best as a surprise option. I think Sheik is limited by this strategy similar to Diddy.

:4pikachu:- Spamming default Thunder Jolt gives Villager a lot of trouble. It's really quite simple. You saw Jtails beat ADHD consistently, I was able to win by emulating the same strategy. You can use Thunder Wave as well but you have to be more careful because it's laggier, has less range and doesn't deal as much damage. You get great follow-ups at higher percents though. Heavy Skull Bash is also an asset in this MU when the trip sapling isn't in play.

:4metaknight:- Struggles a lot with this. No projectiles at all, and while he can hit Villager off the ledge pretty easily it's very hard for him to get through the trip sapling and (to a lesser extent) Lloids. Nado can plow through stuff but it's pretty punishable in this game and you probably won't hit Villager with it if he hangs out carefully below the stage. It's hard to pick him up off the ledge with it. MK doesn't get much help from customs either.

:4ganondorf: - Also troubled. Ganon not only lacks projectiles, he lacks mobility and attacks that can hit villager on the ledge. Wizard's Dropkick is his best asset for approaching and maybe hitting villager, but Ganon really doesn't have many options here.

That's it for the characters I've tried so far, I plan to test out my other characters (:4falco:, :4ness: and :4drmario:) soon. Hopefully some of you found a few of my observations helpful.
Nice. If you are using Customs then Dark Pit's Free-Moving Arrows should do something. I heard that MetaKnight High Speed Drill does beat Sapling and anything else Villager might throw at you.

Funen1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Funen1
I haven't had a chance yet to play against a customs Villager, so feel free to take this post with a grain (or lots) of salt, but I'm under the impression that Ness is also pretty well-suited to dealing with this strategy. Others have already mentioned Lasting PK Thunder, which can go through Villager's balloons without disappearing like his default up-B. Building off what @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos said above, Ness' D-smash is already great at catching ledge grabs (it's even meaty enough to cover the 1 frame of vulnerability on the first ledge grab) and hits almost straight horizontally with decent power, so once you get Villager to higher percents this can help secure a kill. However, PSI Magnet should also be a good tool to help Ness maintain a percent lead since it can absorb the explosions from Extreme Balloon Trip and whichever Lloid custom the Villager has (the default travels very far though, so unless you're all the way at the other end of FD or something it won't be as useful). Granted, you need to make sure the Villager isn't in prime position to F-air you out of it, but mixing it in with shields, jumps, and the like while you're avoiding the rest of his stuff should be good enough. Also for what it's worth, PK Fire isn't stopped by the sapling, so that's one more option to catch a planking opponent, I guess. :/ Looking forward to what @ bc1910 bc1910 finds with Ness as well.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Alright, I've updated the OP with a bit more information thanks to the newer posts. Also included a section in the spoilers so that people can find the full discussion of a topic once it's closed, which should be helpful further down the line. Also added a reference section, let me know what else needs added to it!

I think we've covered the Villager topic enough at this point, so I'm officially marking the Ledge-camping Villager (Explosive Balloon Trip + Trip Sapling topic as on its Final Day of Discussion.

If you think it needs more discussion, please let me know, and please also suggest topics (or let me know what out of the list in the OP should be discussed next).

Thanks everyone!

EDIT:

I haven't had a chance yet to play against a customs Villager, so feel free to take this post with a grain (or lots) of salt, but I'm under the impression that Ness is also pretty well-suited to dealing with this strategy. Others have already mentioned Lasting PK Thunder, which can go through Villager's balloons without disappearing like his default up-B. Building off what @ Amazing Ampharos Amazing Ampharos said above, Ness' D-smash is already great at catching ledge grabs (it's even meaty enough to cover the 1 frame of vulnerability on the first ledge grab) and hits almost straight horizontally with decent power, so once you get Villager to higher percents this can help secure a kill. However, PSI Magnet should also be a good tool to help Ness maintain a percent lead since it can absorb the explosions from Extreme Balloon Trip and whichever Lloid custom the Villager has (the default travels very far though, so unless you're all the way at the other end of FD or something it won't be as useful). Granted, you need to make sure the Villager isn't in prime position to F-air you out of it, but mixing it in with shields, jumps, and the like while you're avoiding the rest of his stuff should be good enough. Also for what it's worth, PK Fire isn't stopped by the sapling, so that's one more option to catch a planking opponent, I guess. :/ Looking forward to what @ bc1910 bc1910 finds with Ness as well.
According to what I've heard, the Villager gets to decide when the balloons explode, meaning that a good villager can mostly work around the 'PSI Magnet the Balloons' strategy. Haven't tested it myself though; the rest of it seems like it would be correct, though.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
According to what I've heard, the Villager gets to decide when the balloons explode, meaning that a good villager can mostly work around the 'PSI Magnet the Balloons' strategy. Haven't tested it myself though; the rest of it seems like it would be correct, though.
The balloons explode when Villager uses Extreme Balloon Trip again, assuming they're still onscreen. If Villager waits too long they time out and vanish without exploding. This would be a good moment to move in if it happens, I think.

Also, even though Dapuffster used Ultimate Uppercut, would Shot Put be useful for this specific situation?

Last edited:

Teshie U

Smash Lord
You don't need to CP this strategy. The universal game mechanics allow you to deal with this fairly easily so instead of trying to find a new character or move to hard counter this strategy (and potentially opening yourself up to losing to on stage villager), just learn how to punish stuff in general.

Strangelove13

Smash Rookie
NNID
Strangelove13
The balloons explode when Villager uses Extreme Balloon Trip again, assuming they're still onscreen. If Villager waits too long they time out and vanish without exploding. This would be a good moment to move in if it happens, I think.

Also, even though Dapuffster used Ultimate Uppercut, would Shot Put be useful for this specific situation?
He actually answered that in the first page.

Well, for Shotput I was afraid that he'd pocket it and use it to really damage me, I didn't want to give him such a good move to hit me with, and well, Ultimate Uppercut WAS the move that got me the kill in the game so, theres my reasoning for that
So it would probably have its uses but Dapuffster didn't want Villager to have access to yet another projectile, I guess it depends how comfortable you are with the possibility of Villager pocketing it. If you are confident that you can beat Villager with that threat of pocket than it will probably help as it's yet another projectile to hit him with, but if you feel you can beat Villager without needing to use projectiles than it is probably better that way.

Luigi player

Smash Master
So. Diddy Kong.

This is the only real post (besides my... attempt, which wasn't that useful I feel) about what to do once he has you in a grab; I'd like to get more discussion on this (even if it's just people agreeing and/or adding to it), because I'm pretty sure that most people have at least some sort of idea on what to do.

Basically though, is this post correct, and if not (or even if so) what needs to be added or changed about it?
I'm not sure about the airdodge part.
Though I have to say that sometimes it feels like the airdodge helps on avoiding an uair, but I'm not even sure that's the case. Jumping should gain height faster than airdodge getting invincibility, and Diddy can always go for the airdodgt read and uair to KO you after the invincibility wears off.

Jump is just really safe because he can't follow up anymore. And like I said in the post you quoted of me... almost all of the time if Diddy can still hit you you will survive the uair if you DI correctly.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I don't know if this is been posted here but I saw somebody mention it on reddit. Has anyone considered countering Villager by using Kirby's custom Down B, the Meteor Stone? That thing spikes and will probably stop villager from doing anything on the ledge.

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
It has been mention in the Kirby Thread. I guess I forgot to toss this tip here too. You can also tank the balloons, turnips, slipshot, sapling and gyriod with Kirby's Giant Hammer.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
Wanted to mention for the future topic that wario can beat out helicopter kong pretty easily with his bite. jumping bite will be sucked in by the kong then wario will just bite him. its even better offstage as the suction will pull it away from the stage allowing for bite to actually ko the DK.

digiholic

Smash Ace
NNID
digiholic
Mega Man with Skull Barrier and some decent timing can just casually stroll off the edge against villager, and if timed properly, throw out a bair stage spike right as it fades away. If you've got Tornado Hold, there's a chance you could pop his balloons while recovering back to the stage for a really stylish finish.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Can we discuss Diddy's uthrow->uair? Seems to be FOTM, and considerably more lethal than dthrow->uair.
Up throw to up air only works at a very small window so it's much harder to pull off than down throw to up air. But using both can be better to make them DI improperly.

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
As mentioned above I have yet to face against a campy villager so although I previously asked about Link, he is actually my second main. My main is Robin, which brings the question, how does Robin deal with the villager? Or is it more beneficial to use Link if I ever face one?

Teshie U

Smash Lord
As mentioned above I have yet to face against a campy villager so although I previously asked about Link, he is actually my second main. My main is Robin, which brings the question, how does Robin deal with the villager? Or is it more beneficial to use Link if I ever face one?
All variations of Robin's side B can beat villager ledge play safely, Default excels at it ofcourse.

Elwind also fires as a low angle and all variations can be useful there too.

Almost all projectile characters can easily force villager off of the ledge without having to take a risk.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I have another topic suggestion: How to deal with all the stupid jab locks in the game (especially Fox's)...
As a Bowser Jr. main, it's incredibly frustrating to basically get wobbled from 0 up to high %s then Usmashed.
Any suggestions for breaking out of it?

Top Bottom