• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Community Patch Notes v1.0.4 -- Engine Changes to DI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
VI is really more intuitive, more logic and more useful than DI. It was a really good idea to change that ****ty mechanic called DI, and replace it by something better.
So yeah, this is a bad thing that VI disapeared.
....Lol

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Holy ****. I am in shock right now. This is amazing news.

The best thing about it is that for people who play multiple smash games, we don't have to go through the painful transition of DI to Vectoring. OMG.
This was actually my main beef with vectoring.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
You mean... Hitstun Shuffling?

(That's what it's called in Tips - I saw it appear before a For Glory match the other day. Classification "Other."Did not take a picture, but I'm sure one of you will see it at some point.)
Hitstun Shuffling could refer to either Vectoring or SDI; speaking of which, can anyone check through the tips to see if this one is still there?

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Hitstun Shuffling could refer to either Vectoring or SDI; speaking of which, can anyone check through the tips to see if this one is still there?
No need - I saw it post patch. Literally yesterday or day before.

InfinityCollision

Smash Lord
You mean... Hitstun Shuffling?

(That's what it's called in Tips - I saw it appear before a For Glory match the other day. Classification "Other."Did not take a picture, but I'm sure one of you will see it at some point.)
Yes, we've all seen it. That most likely refers to SDI.

That game is just getting casual without vectoring u_u
**** you Sakurai, I hope Vectoring is still on Wii U.
Never before have I heard someone imply that DI is in any way casual. In fact, I'd wager the vast majority of casuals don't even know that DI exists.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
This was actually my main beef with vectoring.
Same, its actually really my only issue with it at all.

To everyone panicking about the DI only letting you live a few percents more on mute city- remember that DI multipliers are very different depending on the attacks. We need more data.

D

Deleted member

Um. No.

As far as I can tell, vectoring is almost a non-factor, and DI doesn't appear to be much of one even if it is in, which still has not been confirmed.
I'm just going off what I've heard, not that I'm saying it's a definite. I know vectoring isn't in the game anymore, but the DI thing is a mixed bag from what I've seen.
Either way, I think it's nice that vectoring is gone. It'll make matches go by faster, kills will be easier to score, and it'll be easier to pull off combos.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Not to mention VI was often called noob DI. And it's really easy to do and required pretty much no thought. Like basically whenever you get hit all you have to do is hold down and you probably won't die even if you should have.

Now you actually have to think about what angles you want to fly at again.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Welll... the lack of vectoring is really sad, but if the community really needed that to play with 3 stocks u_u... then it's better not to have VI.
You realize that VI allowed for people to live at ridiculously high percents, right? From my understanding, VI influences not only the direction you're sent, but also the amount of knockback. DI does not.

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Seriously, VI was a really strategic mecanic, you could force your ennemy to make a bad VI and Die earlier, you could chose to go further from your ennemy at low purcents, you had a better control on where you went, it was less automatic that DI, and made the difference, where DI almost never makes the difference.

I DO hope that it's a bug that vectoring is gone.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm honestly wondering if VI (and things like the ease of inputting Hyphen Smashes) were temporary until the Wii U version was released to be easier on 3DS controls?

Doubtful that they'd change something this big for such a reason, but it's certainly possible.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
I'm just going off what I've heard, not that I'm saying it's a definite. I know vectoring isn't in the game anymore, but the DI thing is a mixed bag from what I've seen.
Either way, I think it's nice that vectoring is gone. It'll make matches go by faster, kills will be easier to score, and it'll be easier to pull off combos.
Kind of ironic how removing something perceived as "casual" and "noobish" and replacing it with something "advanced" actually makes the game easier

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
100% Mario VS Motion Sensor Bomb

No input - 172 launch speed
Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158

No input - 172
Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
They should've NERFED VI instead of removing the mecanic itself. YES it was too strong but NO it's not a reason to destroy the skilled players that mastered it...

Kenjin

Smash Cadet

Patch 1.0.0
Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158

Patch 1.0.4
No input - 172
Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158
Damn, is it GONE or NOT? I'm gonna test it by myself

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Seriously, VI was a really strategic mecanic, you could force your ennemy to make a bad VI and Die earlier, you could chose to go further from your ennemy at low purcents, you had a better control on where you went, it was less automatic that DI, and made the difference, where DI almost never makes the difference.

I DO hope that it's a bug that vectoring is gone.
You have no idea what you're talking about.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167

Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158

No input - 172
Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158
Wait wut. Now I'm really confused.

They should've NERFED VI instead of removing the mecanic itself. YES it was too strong but NO it's not a reason to destroy the skilled players that mastered it...
I'm sorry but "mastering" VI takes... what... 30 minutes to understand? One tutorial video maybe? A diagram?

Maybe they should have kept VI in - I don't know - but I don't think leaving it in just because people "mastered" it is a good enough reason.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Knockback influence doesn't affect the post game stats.
...I wonder if VI/KI/whatever worked by somehow transferring SDI to the duration of hitstun, so that you got the little teleports once per frame you're flying or something?
That would make certain things (like this) make sense; if that is the case, Vectoring could very well have just been a bug - no way to know for sure, though

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry but "mastering" VI takes... what... 30 minutes to understand? One tutorial video maybe? A diagram?

HAHAHAAH 30 minutes, seriously? You have no idea what you're talking about. You just didn't want to learn VI, and now you're happy you didn't have to anyway.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
Welll... the lack of vectoring is really sad, but if the community really needed that to play with 3 stocks u_u... then it's better not to have VI.
3 stocks has it's good points. try it out. I have been playing almost always 2 stocks. but really that's not very effective & we like 3 stocks.

3 stocks is better IMO since:
- gimps are less powerful since there are more stocks
- allows for more risky plays off stage since there are extra stocks. SDs doesn't hurt as bad.
- it is more exciting / satisfying fighting your last stock and making a comeback vs your opponents 3.
- it is more exciting to 3 stock your opponent
- hard to pull of a comeback if only in 2 stocks most likely the winner of the 1st stock got heaps of advantage already.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
3 stocks has it's good points. try it out. I have been playing almost always 2 stocks. but really that's not very effective & we like 3 stocks.

3 stocks is better IMO since:
- gimps are less powerful since there are more stocks
- allows for more risky plays off stage since there are extra stocks. SDs doesn't hurt as bad.
- it is more exciting / satisfying fighting your last stock and making a comeback vs your opponents 3.
- it is more exciting to 3 stock your opponent
- hard to pull of a comeback if only in 2 stocks most likely the winner of the 1st stock got heaps of advantage already.
While I agree with this, this isn't the thread for it. Go here for ruleset stuff.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Okay so DI is back. Just tested it with Link's Bombs at 150%. They seem to have an angle of 80. Trying to vector against them has no effect, DI right shifts it to about 85, DI down-left shifts it down to around 60.

EDIT in italics

Last edited:

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Itd be worth to double and triple check, but itd be surprising to have such drastically different death %'s for the same input if there wasnt some sort of change.

Last edited:

andalsoandy

Smash Lord
HAHAHAAH 30 minutes, seriously? You have no idea what you're talking about. You just didn't want to learn VI, and now you're happy you didn't have to anyway.
Well, to be fair all it really was was aiming the control stick to influence the amount of knockback given to you.

Also try and keep the hostility down, man. You don't wanna start pointless arguments here.

JAimee

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sakiyuutannaki
3DS FC
5155-3153-8912
Maybe when yet another patch comes out for the game (because we all know that is going to happen,) some of the changes may get changed or even new add ons to the characters.

And I am a little bummed about Luma's increased respond time. :(

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Ok..... so:

I set up a test by rolling to the edge of FD with Charizard, spawning a motion sensor bomb in front of me, and jabbing it.

I've recorded the percent at which he dies off of the closer blast zone.

No Directional Input: Dies at 59
Holding Right: Dies at 66
Holding Up: Dies at 58
Holding Down: Dies at 61

I'm very, very confused.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO

Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158

No input - 172
Holding up - 189
Holding down - 158
Hmmmm....

I tried this with blast boxes and get 175 with holding any direction and with no inputs. I try it with motion sensor bombs and also get your results. Looks like this will need more testing. Not sure what to conclude. This might be on a per attack basis or something else weird.

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
All VI was was holding towards the stage, or just down. Definitely a skill to master in 10 minutes or less.

DI you have to know for every move you want to DI. Plus everyone was already used to DI anyways.

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
Well, to be fair all it really was was aiming the control stick to influence the amount of knockback given to you.

Also try and keep the hostility down, man. You don't wanna start pointless arguments here.
Wasn't speaking about the theory that you understand in 5 minutes (maybe it took 1 more minute to understand DI)

I'm telling that developping the reflex clearly takes hundred hours.

AND FORGETTING THAT REFLEX takes even more hours! I'm now litteraly less skilled in SSB4 only because I had skill before the patch!

Sinister Slush

❄ I miss my kind ❄
BRoomer
NNID
SinisterSlush
I never played the 3DS version anyways, so I'm glad I didn't have to deal with VI once the wii u version comes out tomorrow.

Good job to the people with two Smash4 games and 3DS handhelds that's been doing the work for us early.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom