• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

3DS Community Patch Notes v1.0.4 -- Engine Changes to DI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
Glad to see vectoring gone just so I don't have to hear the word whenever someone lives past 100% in a tourney ever again.

Have we 100% confirmed DACUS is out, or is the timing just really tight? Ganondorf losing DACUS would make me really sad.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
Yes, but I need something like a stage or an item I can use in a controlled setting on a single player 3DS.

I mean, we can test WiiU however we want in 28.5 hours, but...

Confirmed that rage is still here.
Is rage still as strong as before?

Also, would a motion-sensor bomb stuck to a vertical wall work?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Do we have a way to check the potency of Rage?
0% Robin Elthunder vs 300% Sonic = 191 launch speed
300% Robin Elthunder vs 300% Sonic = 220

So approximately 15% increase in launch speed between min and max which lines up with what we previously knew I'm pretty sure

DarkKiru

Smash Cadet
I just realized if Vectoring is truly gone, this may be the reason some people felt boundaries were smaller in the Wii U version, because they were so used to Vectoring, so when it had no effect; they wondered why they died so early.

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Confirmed that rage is still here.
So the one mechanic that rewards the more skillful player with better reaction times and anticipaition skills - VI - has been removed whereas the other mechanic that rewards the less skillful player in a match - rage - has been left in the game.

I'm not pleased by this.

:059:

M@v

Subarashii!
Whoooooaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. So, I'm a little confused. If Vectoring is gone, is it back to normal DI now like the other games? Or just....nothing like 64 might as well have been?

BSP

Smash Legend
Make sure you still can't airdodge or attack out of hitstun.

Maybe see if holding shield still makes you immune to sliding off of edges.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
By the way according to testing done at the end of the vectoring thread, there was already no horizontal vectoring component. Look at the last page or two to see some really great info and tests on how vectoring functioned. iirc there was already some degree of DIing in it already when all was said and done, so maybe vectoring was a glitch?

Last edited:

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Lol, I think it's probably a bug, NThey wouldn't have changed the entire game.
Vectoring will be back soon.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I think normal DI is back. This makes a lot of Dr. Mario and Mario's U-Throw setups at low %s reliable, D-Throw into Utilt for Doc is now reliable on cast thanks to it being gone...list goes on.

Pretty sure we have traditional DI now.

Untouch

Smash Master
Lol, I think it's probably a bug, NThey wouldn't have changed the entire game.
Vectoring will be back soon.
Maybe it was never intentional to work like this in the first place, which is why the wario thing happened.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
(Sorry if this double-posts)

Shielding a bomb-omb while standing on the ledge (turn around after reeling animation) does not push you off the ledge, that seems the same.

Also, I don't have 1.03 but you can do any action (Jump, attack, AD) out of hitstun at the same time

Last edited:

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
I think normal DI is back. This makes a lot of Dr. Mario and Mario's U-Throw setups at low %s reliable, D-Throw into Utilt for Doc is now reliable on cast thanks to it being gone...list goes on.

Pretty sure we have traditional DI now.
If Thinkaman's testings on Mute City are representative then it's only a difference of 3 or 4 % as far as survival is concerned. It doesn't even come close to compensating the removal of VI.

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Time to learn how to DI :)

So from what I understand, vertical vectoring is the only thing confirmed to have changed? Do we know if old DI is back? Or is it a whole new (insert mechanic name here) Influence?

lijero13ss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lijero13ss
3DS FC
3024-5912-8660
Time to learn how to DI :)

So from what I understand, vertical vectoring is the only thing confirmed to have changed? Do we know if old DI is back? Or is it a whole new (insert mechanic name here) Influence?

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see vectoring gone...except what do we do now about piston punch...

...WELP
...****.

I'm glad they made it easier to kill, but VI was intuitive and a good mechanic. I'd much rather they just made Rage constant, because that's the real dumb mechanic.

byebye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BigByeBee
So the one mechanic that rewards the more skillful player with better reaction times and anticipaition skills - VI - has been removed whereas the other mechanic that rewards the less skillful player in a match - rage - has been left in the game.

I'm not pleased by this.

well to be fair, Vectoring gone resolves some people's dislike of comboability in Smash4, and of extended blast zones
Vectoring hindering in some combo-ability since the defensive player has better influence on the trajectory - possibly avoiding followups.
And Vectoring ups the survival rate, making late game a bit slow paced due to players launching left and right but still not dying.

and Rage is dabate-able. It helps both the players.

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
Warning Received
That game is just getting casual without vectoring u_u
**** you Sakurai, I hope Vectoring is still on Wii U.

M@v

Subarashii!
....DI is what has been in 64, melee, and brawl. The problem with brawl DI was momentum cancelling which made you live way too long, not the DI itself.

D

Deleted member

So from what I've heard VI is out but we have good old DI again?
Thank god, people aren't going to live for 5 years anymore.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
This has to be the first time I've ever seen anyone call DI casual, especially in comparison to VI (commonly called "Noob DI" by people I know)...

Anyways, in case people missed my edit up above, shields still don't slip off ledges when hit, and Hitstun appears to be constant

Last edited:

KlefkiHolder

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Companion_Cube17
3DS FC
3024-5019-8681
....DI is what has been in 64, melee, and brawl. The problem with brawl DI was momentum cancelling which made you live way too long, not the DI itself.
Not 64.

But yeah. DI is a crazy smart and good mechanic

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
So from what I've heard VI is out but we have good old DI again?
Thank god, people aren't going to live for 5 years anymore.
I'm almost sure DI is back but if it is, its not nearly as effective in sm4sh as the other games from the looks of it. further testing is needed.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Welp, while I slept otherwise though, lots of cruddy posts, and I guess I would've happily kept a rotation of warnings churning out for people posting unconfirmed/assuming things/out right complaining.

I'll probably make it a point to "start" for now.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
@ SamuraiPanda SamuraiPanda I posted the VI removal thread, let me know if you want me to add other content to it.

I'd prefer to avoid including any sort of "list" of combos or throws this effects, because any such list would be both huge and prone to infinite placebo effect.

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
VI is really more intuitive, more logic and more useful than DI. It was a really good idea to change that ****ty mechanic called DI, and replace it by something better.
So yeah, this is a bad thing that VI disapeared.

Jigglystep

Smash Ace
NNID
Davichii
3DS FC
2165-5996-6936
Woah, this is a phenomenal change on the dev team's part!

Perhaps the lack of vectoring explains why people have been reporting smaller blast zones in the Wii U version? YAY 3 STOCK RULESET!

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
I actually kind of like the idea of VI being removed, if only for experimentation purposes. It might prove worse, might prove better, but it's certainly something that Smash 4 kind of needed with everyone living so consistently long between infallible recoveries, edge trumping, and vectoring. Curious to see if it's intentional or not, time will tell I suppose.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
At least we don't have to worry about VI/DI naming debates.
You mean... Hitstun Shuffling?

(That's what it's called in Tips - I saw it appear before a For Glory match the other day. Classification "Other."Did not take a picture, but I'm sure one of you will see it at some point.)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Holy ****. I am in shock right now. This is amazing news.

The best thing about it is that for people who play multiple smash games, we don't have to go through the painful transition of DI to Vectoring. OMG.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
You mean... Hitstun Shuffling?

(That's what it's called in Tips - I saw it appear before a For Glory match the other day. Classification "Other."Did not take a picture, but I'm sure one of you will see it at some point.)
Oh yeah i've seen it, but we can all agree that's the worst name ever. Haha.

Last edited:

Kenjin

Smash Cadet
New
Woah, this is a phenomenal change on the dev team's part!

Perhaps the lack of vectoring explains why people have been reporting smaller blast zones in the Wii U version? YAY 3 STOCK RULESET!

Welll... the lack of vectoring is really sad, but if the community really needed that to play with 3 stocks u_u... then it's better not to have VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom