• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Commentators at EVO 2013

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Sadly mistaken NEEDS to be used during commentary at EVO. I don't care who says it, but someone needs to LOL.
"I heard you guys said that this game wasn't competitive. It seems that you guys were sadly mistaken."

Wretched

Dankness of Heart
I wasn't under the impression Prog hated the community, unless you're talking about the stupid americans thing.

Revven

FrankerZ
No DogySamich.

Someone who now actively dislikes the community should not be representing it.
Dogy doesn't hate the community, he may make it seem that way with his commentary but what you're saying is far from the truth. He's kind of cynical, I feel though it's out of frustration over the general behavior the community itself has displayed at some of the larger events in the past (mostly in regard to Smash being at events where other fighting games are) and some other things. How we've represented ourselves in general and so on.

Basically, he's not really an optimistic guy and with how early he was involved with the scene it makes sense for him to be cynical about how the community is now with trying to expand back into the bigger fighting game scene.

I wasn't under the impression Prog hated the community, unless you're talking about the stupid americans thing.
He was talking about Dogy, not prog.

Swann

Smash Journeyman
No dude. No way. I would pay cash money to not have Dogy on the mic.
I loved his commentary a few years ago (thinking about HERB 3 atm). I dunno what happened but he decayed hard and his recent brand of anti-hype is painful to listen to.

That said, any combination of D1, Wobbles, Prog, or Wife would be killer.

Illuvial

Exploring Tallon IV
NNID
Illuvial
3DS FC
1435-3676-0317
Switch FC
SW-1736-8649-2292
As much as I love Dogy, he does not play well with other commentators and makes everything awkward. Prog is the only person I have seen come close to meshing with Dogy during a commentary, and that is because Prog meshes with everyone and is just a hell of a contagious personality.

Prog needs to be there, he is such an awesome commentator and personality to have at an event.

But I really love the ides of having a Smash expert like Prog or Wobbles there with a FGC commentator. That would be AMAZING to listen to!

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
lmao at d1 trolling dogy every question "Correct me if I'm wrong"
jk dogy's passion for melee and other fighting games is still blossoming and he is the black wobbles on the mic

Sedda

Smash Champion
Dogy doesn't hate the community, he may make it seem that way with his commentary but what you're saying is far from the truth. He's kind of cynical, I feel though it's out of frustration over the general behavior the community itself has displayed at some of the larger events in the past (mostly in regard to Smash being at events where other fighting games are) and some other things. How we've represented ourselves in general and so on.

Basically, he's not really an optimistic guy and with how early he was involved with the scene it makes sense for him to be cynical about how the community is now with trying to expand back into the bigger fighting game scene.
If this is really why some people don't want him up there, I don't get it lol. What you explained is a legitimate reason for him to feel that way, but that doesn't change the fact that his commentary is still good.

Swann, I don't know what you mean by anti-hype. Less screaming and yelling than before? Absolutely, but definitely not "anti-hype." His commentary is very fluid and entertaining. Some people trip on their own words waaay too much with the exception of Dogy, Wobbles and Wife.

Anyway, I think people missed the point of my post. I was just offering the perspective of someone who doesn't play but enjoys watching competitive Melee commentated by all of these people, especially Dogy. It's an important perspective to keep in mind because of all the people who will be watching competitive Melee on stream for the first time.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
why can I imagine Wobbles doing well with one of the fgc people. He is kind of like Smash's UltraDavid

Tarv

Smash Journeyman
Axe is also a pretty decent commentator based off of his commentary during NCR pools earlier today. Man, smash actually has a lot of really good commentators floating around.

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
I think Prog definitely deserves a spot.

He has done so much for the community as a part of MIOM, commentating apex, advanced how to play 2, twitter, and just getting people involved in general. I think he would be a wonderful voice to reintroduce our community to the fgc.

He's a pretty good commentator too.

Also, as stated above, Wobbles will probably be going far into the tourney.

Rocketpowerchill

Smash Ace
what we all wanna really see is waffles and bobby with bobby goin ****in crazy over pewpewu and shiz and all dem insane **** thats gonna go down
as far as commentators i want variety for westcoast matches i def want waffles phil/bobby and prog/d1 combo is pretty nice
i want every1 to be there cuz its gonna be hype
melee has more diversity in commentators than the game does in characters imo

Tee ay eye

Smash Hero
Thinking about the FGC/Smash commentator duo, I think that Pool Play would be better suited for this setup. Someone like Juicebox would be perfect for this I think. UltraChen are gonna be worn out on both days because they're gonna be commentating at least one if not two Capcom days per day during the finals (not necessarily both of them but just one of them), and it's not fair just to rely on them as a resource. We have to have someone open to the idea of Smash as a fighter though which is why I mentioned Juicebox, who used to play Melee iirc and respects it as a game according to Dazwa.
yeah, juicebox used to be a roy player in melee and a snake in brawl

when he still went by the gamertag "statistics"

lol

ycz12

Smash Ace
Can I just say that Toph did a great job at NCR? He's got the knowledge, he's got the hype, he's a solid player in his own right, he knows how to maintain rapport with his co-caster, and, with respect to EVO, he did a good job introducing Smash concepts to people new to the game. Mad props, I think he deserves consideration.

Also, he wasn't drunk this time.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I definitely want Prog and wobbles. One issue though is I'm guessing they won't allow commentators to change during top 8 so if wobbles is able to make it to top 8 he may my be an option and with wobbling legal and him improving there's a good possibility it could happen.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Can I just say that Toph did a great job at NCR? He's got the knowledge, he's got the hype, he's a solid player in his own right, he knows how to maintain rapport with his co-caster, and, with respect to EVO, he did a good job introducing Smash concepts to people new to the game. Mad props, I think he deserves consideration.

Also, he wasn't drunk this time.
He did talk a bit over the commentator but otherwise, he did fine. A whole lot better than the last tournament I heard from him. Would also make sense as the fgc has already heard him

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I just keep wondering why people don't link examples of why who is better than who. I've watched a lot of smash videos, but i dont usually pay attention to the names of the commentators so much. Anyone give an example of why Dogy is bad? An example of why Prog is good?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I dont care who it´s just that it shows melee in a professional way(giving free feedback for anyone who wants an opinion on what to work on in general), which is kinda expected if you watch a big tournament like EVO.

Pregame:
Having a plan for what to talk about in the downtime before a match when the players have been announced(matchups, preffered tactics (like gimps and what works and not), earlier times the players have faced each other. Even stuff like where the players are from is relevant there imo. How the stagestriking could go, and why the stages get striked, prefered strategies in the matchups regarding how the stage can be used effectively and where the strongest positions are.

During 1st game:

Discuss plan for first stock, how the plan might change when a kill is done, possible hidden tactics that not everyone will see in the first glimpse(conditioning as a example). If relevant, the mindset of the players during rough situations and how it affects the match and why(like tilting, mostly relevant in last match in a set though).

Between 1st and secondgame:

Momentum, stage pick, earlier similar situations etc.

2match: for example not if the conditioning first match is being applied in the second. If the strategies has been changed or its the same general strategy

After a set in top 8(to keep getting content while waiting for next match):
Short interviews with the winner.

I guess the most relevant is a "gameplan" to what to talk about and who talks about what, sometimes its like commentating is double singles when its IMO a teamjob since it gets a more balanced result if both talks some.

What to not talk about(much) a single move, a single try of a combo, getting overexalted for no reason(maybe can work in earlier stages of the tournament but imo not top 8)

This is just some stuff ive noted just watching SC2 as a interested semicasual player, and getting glimpses of real infomation that can help a player get better is ideal even though it might be a challenge in practice. ^^

EDIT: Neutrality in the pair, one player rooting for one player and the other for the other, atleast not disrespecting a player juust for being from another region.

Armada

Smash Lord
I really like the idea of interviews with the winners from previous sets.
Did saw some small parts of "E-sports SM" (The Swedish championship in E-sports) and they had that included too.

As a viewer I find it pretty cool to hear what they had to say about stuff so that's a super good idea!

However I don't think commentators should be rooting while commentating. Of course every person have a personal preference but commentators should be more serious then that. Im not trying to offend anyone cause the better commentators we do have in this community is usually doing a great job =)

MountainGoat

Smash Journeyman
Scar, Wobbles, Prog, Toph, D1, Waffles, Phil, Lovage, David Chen

Mango's commentary is also awesome but he'll be Top 8. I'd like to see dedicated melee commentators partnered with either players or people like Chen.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Main stream of a big tourney, please check your bias at the door. But people should be able to cut loose during hype MMs and stuff like that. Don't chain up hmw.

Ken vs. scar was hype cause drunk mango was hilarious and tcb just wanted to see scar cry lol. Just been thinking about it cause I watched like a $5000 MM in marvel between an old school Canadian and a **** talking American and the comments were all complaining about the bias cause the commentators for not explaining the MU and strategy. I'm thinking stfu this **** is hilarious.

Everyone complains about Prog at apex 2012 for having an international bias during crews but he did an amazing job, that was just exhibition and it makes it fun.

As for dogy, I always love his commentary but he can a bit annoying when he keeps admitting that he doesn't follow the community and mentions all of the bad. The thig about him, he's a main commentator, he doesn't mix well with anyone but Prog. see him with D1 at apex durig crews. Wobbles is the same way, he talks over people a lot even though he does a good job at talking. See him and vro at big house. Prog mixes well and takes it seriously enough to mention the community besides just the game and the strategy. Can't go wrong really, but I think wobbles Prog is as close as we can get to ultra Chen and I do love that pair.

Sorry for ****ty grammar but I'm on a phone so **** it.

Sedda

Smash Champion
I just keep wondering why people don't link examples of why who is better than who. I've watched a lot of smash videos, but i dont usually pay attention to the names of the commentators so much. Anyone give an example of why Dogy is bad? An example of why Prog is good?
This ^
People don't want Dogy for reasons that have nothing to do with commentary by itself, but he's the best in my opinion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=260zM_4eBQo) first minute of the match shows it.
It's not like Mango's commentary, where he could tell you what's going on underneath of what's on screen, but that's not what they want (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3lLEuqReaI).
It's not HMW's commentary, which couldn't be more hype BUT that's not what they want.
Prog I think should be there regardless of who else is on the mic because he was work well with anyone else. He knows when to step in and when not to. Prog/Dogy is still my favorite combo here.

Top Bottom