• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Combo starters?

Kyle Chang

Smash Rookie
Let's say I'm dash dancing. My opponent goes in for an attack and misses. What are some good combo starters I can do to punish him? I'm mostly looking for things to do against Falcon and Falco, but advice against any other top tiers would be appreciated :)

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
^^^^^Grab at pretty much every percent is amazing. Also, reverse up-b for style points if you know you have time to land it.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
^^^^^Grab at pretty much every percent is amazing. Also, reverse up-b for style points if you know you have time to land it.
reverse dolphin slash for a combo starter? I doubt it. unless you can edge cancel the landing on the top platform and get an insane follow up.

Grabs are beastly, SH fairs are good, up tilt is good if you're in range.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Grab the majority of the time. it is safest and can lead to a lot. If you can punish with them, fairs have their use.

Kyle Chang

Smash Rookie
What are some ways to follow up the grab? I know for spacies I can chain grab to around 30% and then utilt/fsmash/aerials. Against Falcon at low percents all I can ever seem to do after a grab is tech chase and then regrab. Should I just keep doing that to rack up damage or is there anything else I can do?

Xyzz

Smash Champion
Nah, against Falcon you just have the tech chase off dthrow below 30ish... it's a pretty good techchase though (:
Against spacies, you're right too... and well the utilts / aerials lead to more grabs, which lead to more things... ideally a regrab at 90 to uthrow > weak uair > tip fsmash... or some aerial combination leading to an edgeguard even before that

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Against sheik/marth, at 0% you can grab > fthrow > dash and regrab > fthrow or uthrow > utilt, etc etc

When you play against Sheik, you want her above you so that you can do smart utilts/uairs because she doesn't have very many safe options coming down

AppleAppleAZ

Smash Journeyman
whiff punishing with grab is great if they are at cc percent or fair if they're in the air.

Fair yields more reward but it's riskier.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I usually use his dash attack when trying to start a combo up.

djmath

Smash Apprentice
I usually use his dash attack when trying to start a combo up.
dash attack is good at popping up your opponent, but it is very easy to read and very punishable if you overcommit and they either shield it or dodge it. Punishing with dash attack is an option, but there are safer and better options. Grabs give you control of the momentum, start combos, and have much less endlag than dash attack if you wiff

noobird

Smash Journeyman
thought you could buffer spotdodge out of fthrow regrab if you di down and away. anyway I don't play marth but tippered fair is good if they aren't ccing.

if they're in shield i like to sh fair--> upair --> uptilt. safe on shield if spaced and if they try to do anything they're gonna get hit by something and all of those are great combo starters/puts them above you.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
dash attack is good at popping up your opponent, but it is very easy to read and very punishable if you overcommit and they either shield it or dodge it. Punishing with dash attack is an option, but there are safer and better options. Grabs give you control of the momentum, start combos, and have much less endlag than dash attack if you wiff
Good point.

AceMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KnowledgeMan
Good combo starting punishers are Utilt, dash attack, SHFFL Nair, SHFFL Fair, and SHFFL Uair depending on positioning (i.e. You are under opponent's platform on Dream Land.)

AirFair

Marth tho
the up throw usually sets up a good combo in the lower percents, and shffl aerials work well after that. It's just executing it that takes some practice

Oasis

Smash Rookie
Learn to regrab after shffl u-air. To lead into u-air/u-tilt, you can dash attack (this is very punishable, don't toss it out recklessly), fair into u-tilt, fair if they're at mid%, dair oos, up throw, and so many more. Those are just some random ones off the top of my head and are just a fraction of Marth's options.

Top Bottom