• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Colorado Smash - MVG Presents: REVELATION 2 - MIDWEST NATIONAL! MVG QUALIFIER! May 16-17

Ferdi

Smash Rookie
IMO, neutral stages must fit these criterias

1. No hazards
2. Flat
3. Nothing moving(this is why I don't like Smashville, Lylat, and Yoshi's Story. I'm personallly inclined to have only Battlefield and FD neutral)
4. The stage isn't too big

Nite, why do you have a picture of yourself in your Gaia?

some guy named Mike

Smash Cadet
That doesn't really work ferdi, it kinda ruins the game, the game is ment to have weird stages and is ment to be different, otherwise we would have all flat maps like Street Fighter where the only main difference is the background. I agree with the hazards but sometimes you have to make compromises. from what i've seen (which isn't alot) movement doesn't really damage anyone enough to be unfair. the only movement I hate is lylat cruise because it messes up certain attacks and recovery but you can still play it and have a fairly neutral game. I also think having only Battlefield and FD is being WAY to strict.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I think the neutral stages should be Battlefield, FD, Yoshi's Island, Lylat cruise and Smashville. But what do I know right?

Someone should play with me, I need practice.

Ferdi

Smash Rookie
I hate change, and why can't we have bland stages where nothing interesting happens? Fighting games like that are still very succesful. Would you have moving/hazards in a fighting game like Street Fighter? Guilty Gear? Tekken? Encouraging only a few stages that fits my criteria moves smash into the traditional fighting category where skill is most abundant.

Too strict on only FD and Battlefield? If I could make it I'd have a custom stage thats a little bigger than Battlefield, has one small platform in the middle, flat, and doesnt have gay edges. But custom stage's ceilings/horizontal blast zones are waaaay too wide. So instead, let's take an example. Melee Japanese players. The competitive tournament scene used only FD and Dreamland 64, look how far they've progressed in terms of their metagame despite not having any other stage advantages.

Contrary to popular beliefs that FD forces camping, it doesn't, anyone who knows how to shield and jump should never be camped against. And with Battlefield as the other neutral, the stage choices are even more fair.

I'll test Norfair some more but I think it gives way too much of an advantage to ranged characters. Delfino is not neutral because the stage changes to an uneven, non-flat form, which is why I still hate Yoshi's Story and Lylat Cruise.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
I hate change, and why can't we have bland stages where nothing interesting happens? Fighting games like that are still very succesful. Would you have moving/hazards in a fighting game like Street Fighter? Guilty Gear? Tekken? Encouraging only a few stages that fits my criteria moves smash into the traditional fighting category where skill is most abundant.

Too strict on only FD and Battlefield? If I could make it I'd have a custom stage thats a little bigger than Battlefield, has one small platform in the middle, flat, and doesnt have gay edges. But custom stage's ceilings/horizontal blast zones are waaaay too wide. So instead, let's take an example. Melee Japanese players. The competitive tournament scene used only FD and Dreamland 64, look how far they've progressed in terms of their metagame despite not having any other stage advantages.

Contrary to popular beliefs that FD forces camping, it doesn't, anyone who knows how to shield and jump should never be camped against. And with Battlefield as the other neutral, the stage choices are even more fair.

I'll test Norfair some more but I think it gives way too much of an advantage to ranged characters. Delfino is not neutral because the stage changes to an uneven, non-flat form, which is why I still hate Yoshi's Story and Lylat Cruise.
I think one of the reasons people like smash as opposed to other fighting games is because it's not a noramal traditional one. I really don't think things likemoving platforms are unfair.

Ferdi

Smash Rookie
Yea it is, I live so much more due to Smashville's platform.

Ferdi edit: Of course it's not a traditional fighter, but moving it towards that category can only improve the metagame.

Demolisho

Smash Apprentice
Meh, imo, Stages only break neutrality if there are hazards/walls/walk off ledges. Delfino apparently has both semi walls AND walk off ledges. So I argue it stays CP.

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
But your argument loses water if we still have counterpicking involved Ferdi. With CP involved in the matter, adapting to the scenario is another thing that makes the smash meta unique. If we only played on neutral stages, and everything else was banned, I could see the argument for just FD/BF. However, we don't, and I don't think people would want that.

We don't have to remove the elements that make Smash different to improve the meta, either it'll improve with the decent stages available, or it wouldn't improve regardless.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Ok so I guess I'll have to rephrase, Battlefield and FD for NEUTRAL only.

Ferdi edit: Wait, which argument are you trying to disprove? Just having FD and Battlefield for everything?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I think it should look like this. Argue anything you disagree with. Also, if Nite doesn't reply in the next 3 days, we need to lay down some contingencies, just in case.

3 Stock
No items
8 minutes

Neutral stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Lylat cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick stages:
Battleship Halberd
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar
Pirate Ship

Banned Stages:
Onett
Mario Circuit
Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Flat Zone 2
Mario Bros.
75M
Skyworld
Summit
New Pork City
Warioware
Port Town Aero Drive
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Norfair
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom

Ferdi, your arguements about moving stages in real fighting games are moot. Those games have serious combos, and are much more reliant on punishment than smash is. Smash is about positioning, and with stale stages come stale positionings. You should know that, of all people.

Since when have the japanese been good at smash? lolololjk... kinda.

I'm confused as to how you think FD doesn't give ranged characters an advantage, but you think Din's Fire is the best projectile in the game.

Norfair should be banned, waaaaaaaay easy to camp there. Like, it's almost as dumb as GHZ with Zelda (which I think would merit a ban, if it weren't just her that could **** there).

Delfino should be neutral. FoD and PS1 both change forms, and, slope or not, it's no worse off than those two. Also, Lylat randomly slopes, so if you're gonna keep Delfino CP because of that, as much as I regret it against the psychic brats, Lylat should move there, too.

Smash isn't a real fighting game. Let's stop pretending it is, alright? Especially Brawl.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Man sorry Moblin thats like the third time today that's happened. I guess my internet is ******** and won't work (but only on the wii.....wtf?)

This is very frustrating.

But better news, I'm pretty sure I'll make it to CCCT. Though I have no idea where it even is...

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Halberd deservesto be neutral more then or PK stadium1 IMO.

if you get hit by the hazards, its either because your a noob, or your opponet had enough still to menuver you into it.

but in PK Stadium, Lylat, and battlefield, to a lesser degree, give specific character advantages independent of skill.

character advantages should determine if it is neutral or not.
intensity of hazards is what should be considered when deciding if it is banned or not.

... IMO.

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
I think it should look like this. Argue anything you disagree with. Also, if Nite doesn't reply in the next 3 days, we need to lay down some contingencies, just in case.

3 Stock
No items
8 minutes

Neutral stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Story
Lylat cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza
Pokemon Stadium 1

Counterpick stages:
Battleship Halberd
Luigi's Mansion
Frigate Orpheon
Castle Siege
Pictochat
Green Hill Zone
Yoshi's Island
Jungle Japes
Corneria
Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Brinstar
Pirate Ship

Banned Stages:
Onett
Mario Circuit
Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Flat Zone 2
Mario Bros.
75M
Skyworld
Summit
New Pork City
Warioware
Port Town Aero Drive
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Norfair
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom

Ferdi, your arguements about moving stages in real fighting games are moot. Those games have serious combos, and are much more reliant on punishment than smash is. Smash is about positioning, and with stale stages come stale positionings. You should know that, of all people.

Since when have the japanese been good at smash? lolololjk... kinda.

I'm confused as to how you think FD doesn't give ranged characters an advantage, but you think Din's Fire is the best projectile in the game.

Norfair should be banned, waaaaaaaay easy to camp there. Like, it's almost as dumb as GHZ with Zelda (which I think would merit a ban, if it weren't just her that could **** there).

Delfino should be neutral. FoD and PS1 both change forms, and, slope or not, it's no worse off than those two. Also, Lylat randomly slopes, so if you're gonna keep Delfino CP because of that, as much as I regret it against the psychic brats, Lylat should move there, too.

Smash isn't a real fighting game. Let's stop pretending it is, alright? Especially Brawl.
Move Delfino, Lylat, and Stadium 1 to counterpick then. I don't get what you're saying to me in that my moving stages in fighting game is moot, those games would also only have combos if the stage doesn't move duh wtf? Stale positioning what the hell? I do think that projectiles get a slight advantage in FD, which is why Battlefield would be the other neutral, thus evening out the chances at 50/50, since most characters either have a projectile or has a disjointed hitbox. And the characters that doesn't have either/less mobile so as to punish, sucks and are low tier.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I'd rather have just Battlefield be neutral.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
=/ I dont see whats wrong with the neutral stages already made
A lot of you picked it in the beggining of the games release and were ok with it
Only thing I dislike is Pokemanz stadiumz 1
That level is just not good anymore IMO
Ummm so what levels do you want to go and what levels stay as neutral
Reply now and i midnight i will add up the points
And majoritah rules
cause let the one little hater get steamed cause he doesnt get his level

Anywho We currently have 6 wiis ready to go
Buuut bringing one or two more counldnt hurt
and can speed up the **** tourny since we are doing teams and singles
And i know this might now happen but team teams too ^ ^

Ummm Yeah i really dont care much for neutral stages so you guys vote

I will vote for pokemanz one out and the rest in as in delfino, lylat, fd, bf, smash, yoshi

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
current list is fine, but move Halberd to neutral.

... thats my opinion.
Halberd will not be a neutral stage no matter what people vote

You need to stop trying to make it a neutral cause its not going to happen

It has hazzards and thats why it will remain a non neutral stage

Stop arguing cause your only comeback to bringing it back is You can easily avoid it
Bringing skill into it
which makes it unfair for the less skilled

Dont reply to this cause it will do nothing >=[

Also tim is a douche
And is now the new tony
Tony is ferdi
ferdi is voldemort
and i am tim >.>

Timotee

Smash Journeyman
You said that whatever had the proper voteage got in, let him cast his vote.

Also, since I'm tony now, can I borrow some money?

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Indeed You may tony
Om nom nom nom nom nom
I really want sonics right now
Its Twue XD

And i was talking about the already set neutral stages

No halberd dammit

some guy named Mike

Smash Cadet
I think random neutrals should consist of
Onett
Mario Circuit
Big Blue
Hyrule Temple
Hanenbow
Shadow Moses Island
Flat Zone 2
Mario Bros.
75M
Skyworld
Summit
New Pork City
Warioware
Port Town Aero Drive
Pokemon Stadium 2
Spear Pillar
Norfair
Bridge of Eldin
Rumble Falls
Mushroomy Kingdom

and Tim, for being so **** awsome

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Chap, what do you use for video editing? I downloaded Sony Vegas Pro 8 a few weeks ago and it looks to be an incredible software to do video and audio editing. I know that some people use Audacity for something I DLed it before but never got around to use it. And what do you use to compress the videos? Because most of the finished projects have massive massive megabytes, especially for videos over 5 minutes.

Have you also heard Pendulum's Hold Your Colour album? It's pretty amazing but it's somewhat repetitive since really, the exact same drum beat is used in like every song.

Everyone set for CCCT? Who is going to the free doubles one in Friday? Note that everything(the REAL singles and doubles tournament) is done on Saturday! So everything needs to be running fast as possible.

OOSers I haven't heard much from anyone ever since last week, what's the deal? So we can setup your housing and stuff. Did you guys bail?

Ferdi edit: So I went to that little New Mexico thread

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163084

And I can't say anything but agree, Colorado has been going OOS but not much, infact, just getting to OC3 was probably the most unplanned/****ty/ridiculous/CO vs. the world deal EVER. But now, this is a new game, this is a new chance for us to show up at the top, early in the game. Notable tournaments include the ones GoldenGlove posted,

AzOneTwoStep:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163146

Look at THEIR stage rules, huh?!? HUH?!

FC Championship:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163043

Evo2k8(Las Vegas):

Can't find thread, hasn't been made or I suck at searching.

So let's do this, let's stomp everyone's yard right in the beginning!

2nd Ferdi edit(must be important): C3T regs increased to 80 out of nowhere!!! Now the current payouts is(without walk ins)

1st - $720
2nd - $360
3rd - $120

Nite, that is a RIDICULOUS amount of people! Make sure things get started or we'd go to Monday!!! Not to mention what is happening with the doubles tournament!?!? Omg wtf the smash scene got so much bigger its amazing!

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Nite, that is a RIDICULOUS amount of people! Make sure things get started or we'd go to Monday!!! Not to mention what is happening with the doubles tournament!?!? Omg wtf the smash scene got so much bigger its amazing!
Guess thats one of the benefits of Brawl being easier to pick up, more people will likely compete.

BTW I still don't know where it is....

spiritdragon

Smash Ace
Ok, with the amount of people, I do NOT want people to miss the venue because they don't know the way to get there. Seriously people, we need signs or more and more pictures or SOMETHING omg please, an 80 people tourney here in Colorado, BRING RECORDING EQUIPMENT!??!?!

Top Bottom