• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

College Station: v2012 Almost Zombies

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
I nominate we do a check-in for who is currently in college station and is, or would like to be involved in, in to playing ssbb competively or for fun with each other. Basically who here wants to play.

The only people I'm currently familiar with is loko (jj) and light (aj), and maybe retro (Derek) (haven't seen him in awhile). Is trot still with us?

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Joel, need to update the contact list and front page and stuff. Haven't been able to finish that flyer dealio, but I do want to talk with that F/X guy and see if we can set up some kind of tourney for shiz and giggles; I'd even advertise a Brawl & Melee tournament just to get some awareness out there

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
Woah...college station? That's not too far.
If you guys have a tournament, I'll go and not bring anyone good.

I like how I can chaingrab about every player on that front page.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Woah...college station? That's not too far.
If you guys have a tournament, I'll go and not bring anyone good.

I like how I can chaingrab about every player on that front page.
Leaf :333

Well, until we find more activity/people that play, I can't imagine holding one; so far, we have yet to hold one smashfest lol. And yeah, need to change my main to wofl, BUT you're gonna help me take on pikas anyway~

Do appreciate the idea of bringing just decent players, but maybe since htown isn't too far, we could go to a smashfest there. Just a thought.

Leaf.

Gets up to speed!
You guys should advertise more. This is a way more neutral spot than one of the major cities, cuts at least an hour off SA's and DFW's drive times to Houston.

This could be the key to bringing Texas back together.

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
See? I've always said that; It's a short drive for SA, Houston, AND Dalls, it's almost at a Nexus point really. I would consider holding smashfests a day before a Houston event because people could party it up here, and take an hour cruise to htown easy.

We also have support from a local game store that would be more than happy to provide setups and PRIZES for a tournament (i.e. shirts, posters, etc) . So I could talk with him and see if I could even design the prizes and stuff so that's also another nice incentive, although all this needs confirmation.

But alas, our only drawback is 1) Lack of players and b) housing, but my place might/could be available. Really inspired to do make s**t happen now though so we'll keep at it

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman

I want to put these at lotsa places, see if anyone bites, but what do you guys think or what should I edit?

iLight

Smash Lord
that sounds fine w/ me looks very clean, putting that up on a&m and blinn campus may generate something if you get the dorms and getting that put up at that game store as well may do something, also blockbuster is going out of business so if you put it up there too you may get something idk, last time i put up flyers for a tournament no one from cs came other than people in the crew already but good luck, try putting it up on facebook maybe as well

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Don't have FB anymore, but yeah, was planning to scatter some on the busses, at the little place outside by the pavillion, and other spots. I'll try getting some at blinn and I also want to see if the FX place wouldn't mind handing them out too.

If it's all good to go, I'll put them in a PDF format so anyone can print them and cut them and spread at will. I'm hoping this will generate some action

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
I talked to the guy at the FX store and I'll be bringing him a flyer sometime this week. Apparently there's a group of smashers here that have also been looking for other players. I gave him the details about smashboards and the e-mail on that flyer in case somebody else shows up and asks about smash and he'd be more than happy to advertise. I also told him I'd help him design the shirts and posters for any tourney and he'd talk to his boss boss about it, so more wewtness and that he would sponsor us for a tourney, just gotta give him the info whenever :3 .

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...kxOTgtMTI3MDA1NWUyYzIx&hl=en&authkey=CNSxorQE
^That links to a PDF file of 5 of those flyers if and when you guys want to print some out and scatter them whenever .

Also, anyone still interested in going to WHOBO3? San Antonio is going to buy the passes soon, and the hotel rates they got are $35 the whole weekend.

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
loko, the "other group of smashers here that have also been looking for other players" that you are refering to by FX reference could have been me (with a couple non-smash friends) going there and talking about smash bros as i detailed a few pages back

iamjoel5

Smash Rookie
btw, really great job on the flyer. I'll post some in Zachary Engineering Building...if there will be gamers to be found im sure a good amount of them will be in Zachary

edit: Maybe a small change to the flyer to help attract some people (and not discourage those who aren't tournament interested) is to quickly detail how we often have small ssbb get togethers to just play and that anyone is welcome.
Maybe something along the lines of "send us an email to receive an invite to our next friendly brawl play/practice (non-tournament)."

your call

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
btw, really great job on the flyer. I'll post some in Zachary Engineering Building...if there will be gamers to be found im sure a good amount of them will be in Zachary

edit: Maybe a small change to the flyer to help attract some people (and not discourage those who aren't tournament interested) is to quickly detail how we often have small ssbb get togethers to just play and that anyone is welcome.
Maybe something along the lines of "send us an email to receive an invite to our next friendly brawl play/practice (non-tournament)."

your call
Good idea o: . I'll put something in quotes like "join us weekly at our smashfests! All are Welcome"
edit:
Updated the flyer. Thanks again joel :3c

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Haha, thanks! This is sorta my thing, it's sorta what I do ;P . Well, I'm hoping to start my own graphic design company sometime in the near future; it's like problem solving, but with colors and awesomeness.

Really hoping this gets the word out

iLight

Smash Lord
=] good luck with that loko

also 2 events that are going on this week for me, my 21st birthday tomorrow, and also whoever would like to come over friday around 4pm is welcome to, to play smash and drink or whatever come chill it will be fun i'll send out txts too

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
o:
Parteh~~~ Well I'm done with testing this week on Wednesday so I'm down for Friday !

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
=] good luck with that loko

also 2 events that are going on this week for me, my 21st birthday tomorrow, and also whoever would like to come over friday around 4pm is welcome to, to play smash and drink or whatever come chill it will be fun i'll send out txts too
Hey, I thought Light was in this thread, but ur a big fat phony!

HEY GUYS, HERE'S A BIG FAT PHONY! YOU'RE A PHONY!

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, A.R.K. III (One of the South's largest fighting game tournaments) is coming up on April 2nd at Conway Gaming Center in Conway, AR! We are expecting at least ~120 people at this tournament featuring games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! The Smash portion of the event will be run by Smashboard's own VTS and we will have a recording station available for you to record whichever matches you deem necessary (just work it out with the station manager). If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread where you can find more details about the event located at http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
I'll be heading back tomorrow, but only to take care of some things better heading out to WHOBO

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Welcoming 2 new players to college station smash:

Russell with a beastly Bowser and well-timed, tricky Ness
Jim with great melee talent and upcoming Brawl talent

Yay for more competition and players!! We're getting there to being a "real" crew xP, and hopefully we can set-up a tournament soon.

Those guys need to get on here and start posting :I, and I need to update the front page soon...

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
Hey again guys! A.R.K. III (NOW featuring Justin Wong, Fubarduck, Lil Majin, and many more great players!) is coming up THIS SATURDAY in Conway, AR! We are expecting at least ~150 people with games such as Melee, Brawl, Project: M, SSF4, BB:CS, Tekken 6, Arcana Heart 3, Marvel Vs. Capcom 3, and more! Smashers are coming in from Oklahoma, Tennessee, Arkansas, and several more states to compete!

Note that our tournament is now sponsored by Game On Apparel, Shadaloo.eu, Borderland Games, Broken Tier, and the Bat Cave, which will each be providing additional prizes and bonus pots for our tournaments. Also, well-known regional modder DaRabidDuckie will be on hand to provide dual mods (PS3 <-> 360) for fight sticks.

If you have ANY questions, please post on here or on the official tournament thread here: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=298654. Please try to make it and show your support not only for us, but for the Regional Smash community as a whole. Thanks guys!

[oni]LoKo

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, money johns here as well :< . Don't think I'll be able to go to any tournies for a while, or at least till the end of this semester.

SmokeMaxX

Smash Journeyman
I'd consider going but i have no monies and this weekend is my girlfriends bday
Yeah, money johns here as well :< . Don't think I'll be able to go to any tournies for a while, or at least till the end of this semester.
Ah sorry guys! Supposedly we're getting a ton of money for bonus pots, but that's not set in stone yet. Maybe next time though :)

Top Bottom