• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Co-Op and Coins: Events Part 2

king_neeso

Smash Apprentice
You know, a sudden leap from 1 PC in 64 and Melee, to 3 or 4 PCs in Brawl, would really shake things up for the DK series. I'm all for more representation for those crazy apes, they've had fun games in the past, and sadly, the series has kinda gone downhill lately.

Anyone want a DKC4, in full 3D with cutscenes and an actual story, but still retaining its side-scrolling roots? You can choose which two Kongs you want to take with you, between DK, Diddy, Dixie, and others. I dunno... maybe, FUNKY?! That would be sweet! And you'd need certain Kongs' abilities to get to secret areas of stages, to open up alternate routes or get to the goal. OMG that was be the best game in a looong time!
HELLS YEAH that would be sweeeet and how cool would it be to explore cranky kongs past lols...it should be like the donkey kong country anthology

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
People actually dislike this Update??? I love it! It's going to be a great feature which I'll use all the time!

And Smash Kid is the only one on this page who posted something relevant to the topic.

Bli33ard

Smash Journeyman
Kudos, Nintendo! I didn't see this coming. But then again, 1 player mode = multiplayer in the eyes of Sakurai.

M.K

Level 55
Haha...I'm not going to get into the whole "you should enjoy these updates blah blah", but I want to share something.

Yesterday I went to a Christmas party for my Springboard Diving team, and my friend was asking me all about SSBB. He knew that people liked Meta-Knight at the E 4 All, and he knew most of the new characters, but when I told him about SSE, he was like "They need co-op play in that". I told him that was in, and then he said "You know..they sorta need co-op in everything, Like Event mode or Target Test. I was like, yeah, but it's never going to happen...

Someone over at Sora proved me wrong!

fighterkirby7

Smash Journeyman
yay for this update it was great! and it already comfirmed coin match!
some are going to say:"so we are going to have a coin match update but much lamer"
a have argument to counter this: on the snapshots update sakurai revealed the replay for the matches on the eggxact same update!(no it wasn't a double update) and we didn't have any replay update UP UNTIL NOW(that phrase still haunts me D=) so what do you all have to say?

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
What the hell is wrong wiht you people, its not like you're forced into Co-op.

If if its "too easy" Ramp up the difficulty.

If its still "too easy" put it on co-op only using one person to play it.

I just think alot of you people don't have friends.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I liked this update. I will definitely play co-op event with my brother and the fact that there are unique co-op events as opposed to rehashed 1P events is great.

The Charizard alt. worries me though. Imagine purple Charizard & no Ridley :(

If you don't like the idea of co-op, it's not a big deal, as I'm sure you'll be busy with other modes. Surely it is better to have the option of co-op in the game and simply choose not to play it, then to not have it at all.

PRINCESS PEACH777

Smash Lord
yay for this update it was great! and it already comfirmed coin match!
some are going to say:"so we are going to have a coin match update but much lamer"
a have argument to counter this: on the snapshots update sakurai revealed the replay for the matches on the eggxact same update!(no it wasn't a double update) and we didn't have any replay update UP UNTIL NOW(that phrase still haunts me D=) so what do you all have to say?

yes i so agree but it's kind of lame:ohwell:

Sometimes I wish that there were no updates at all.

Simply for the fact that all of the judgemental whiners would shut up.

Seriously, this mode is optional, just like b!tching and complaining about a game play enhancement or checking the update, it's optional.

Youko

Podcasting Pro
NNID
SMYNYouko
3DS FC
1418-6781-7411
While it's a good update overall, the return of Coin Mode makes me rather :(

...Who likes Coin Mode? Honestly.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
From what I've seen, there are events that can only be played in Co-op... which means I can't play it alone. THAT'S why I don't care for it.
They're not co-op only events.
They're alternate versions of events where two people can play.

But I think we should stop calling "Single-Player" mode by that name.
Because the only mode left that we know that isn't multiplayer is classic mode,
and that might even be co-op.

A lot of info in this update.

RedKnight

Smash Ace
WHAT!? He clearly said it was an option that can be turned on and off. Personally I really like all the Co-Op in Brawl

lilparadise

Smash Apprentice
I'm loving the co-op modes in this game so far. It raises the fun of casual play, so you don't have to keep playing in vs mode to have fun with friends.:chuckle:

Rash

Smash Ace
Co-op target test seems a tad pointless, but co-op events are definitely a nice touch.

Wow, I want to be surprised by all the negative comments about this update, but then I think "it's Smashboards" and suddenly I'm not surprised at all. :urg:

shinnok-fan64

Smash Apprentice
Very good update imo, events with a friend'll be a blast!

I'm also kinda worried about Ridley as well; if they give Charizard a purplish color scheme, could that be making up for not having Ridley as a playable character?

Probably means nothing though.

flyinfilipino

Smash Master
Very good update imo, events with a friend'll be a blast!

I'm also kinda worried about Ridley as well; if they give Charizard a purplish color scheme, could that be making up for not having Ridley as a playable character?

Probably means nothing though.
Nah. But ew, purple Charizard....

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
I like having co-op but do we really need in target test? I might do some events matches with my friends after i finish them on my own. I rarely play coin match so i am not all thrill for that, and pokemon traniner costume looks cool. Nice update compare to other days

InvincibleAgent

Smash Lord
Corneria, Oregon, US - Melee: Roy, Link, Ganondorf
Normal Event 5 MIGHT be the same as Co-Op Event 2. Maybe. Event 1 is the same on both. Other than that, they're all different. I can see this to mean that maybe 75% of the events in the Co-Op menu are Co-Op only. As such, a person who has no friends that happen to like Smash cannot play those events.

Unless you can play Co-Op Events online.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Coin matches do help underdogs win if they can't make the KOs. However, the dollar bills that appear sure is a reference to Luigi's Mansion.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Normal Event 5 MIGHT be the same as Co-Op Event 2. Maybe. Event 1 is the same on both. Other than that, they're all different. I can see this to mean that maybe 75% of the events in the Co-Op menu are Co-Op only. As such, a person who has no friends that happen to like Smash cannot play those events.

Unless you can play Co-Op Events online.
An Idea:
Have both player character's controllers be the single wii-mote.
Then duel-wield the wii-motes and therefore controlling both characters at once.

Sounds easier then when I use to do it with gamecube controllers.
I have played many many multiplayer games by myself.

Geno4Brawl

Smash Rookie
In the first event picture with Samus there appears to be a purpulish thing behind her.

NukeA6

Smash Master
Co-Op is nice but everyone here would rather play Halo :(

Oh well, we still got Online mode. And the fact that the players are a mystery make it more fun :)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
no idea why all the hate on todays update becuse it was pretty good, now my brother wont bug me about being his turn to play.

also if you don't like co-op mode just dont play co-op, yes it's that simple.

KingKraken

Smash Journeyman
Soooooo.... apparently Sakurai only listens to people if it has to do with characters. Why else would Online be the way it is, or how coin match is returning? bad move sakurai. BAD MOVE.

In the first event picture with Samus there appears to be a purpulish thing behind her.
ZOMG RIDLY CUNFURMD!

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
just noticed that the events for co-op mode is diffrent from the regular mode

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I think Co-Op target test just made Target Test look worse.

It was bad enough to see Target Test with green targets, but now it seems as if everyone has the same target test.

The Nerd

Smash Journeyman
There were a couple other interesting things in this update, especially if you look closely at some of the events in the first two pictures. I'll start off with the first picture, and list the events.

First One: Trouble Kings. We know about this one. It has (in my opinion) strengthened the starting roster theory, because it looks like all three Kirby characters are characters you'll start with. Other than that? Nothing new.

Second One: All we get out of this is that it involves the Landmaster Tank. Nothing really interesting here.

Third One: This one implies something else quite important. This one has you playing as Meta Knight, meaning I'm betting a 99% chance he's in the starting roster, as there was never an event you could play as a character you didn't have yet.

Fourth One: This one was announced in the original announcement for Event Modes. It involves Pit and Wario, and is not the same is the fourth event from Co-Op at all. Not much to say.

Fifth One: This is pokemon trainer in what appears to be the pokemon arena. What does this mean? Well, from the picture it's hard to tell, but I think it's fairly safe to assume that it's similar to co-op event two.

Sixth One: This one... I have no idea. When I first looked at it I thought of the moon from Majora's Mask, but I'm hugely biased, and upon further inspection, I don't think that's it at all. However, all I can say is that it looks to take place in some sort of Jungle. A DK event, perhaps? It's way too hard to tell, and I'm sure a couple million people will ask about it later.

Then we go to the Co-Op events.

Co-Op one: Two Trouble Kings... simply amazing. Yeah, does anything really need to be said?

Co-Op two: The picture looks like some sort of green dragon fighting an Ivysaur on Pokemon stadium 2, and in the list of co-op events that was the second one listed, Pokemon trainers fighting each other... So you know what? I'm going to go ahead and say that green dragon is an alt. colour for Charizard. Also, in the actual picture for the event, you can see Pokemon Trainer wearing green while a green Ivysaur is on the field. It's notable as the first alt. colour for Pokemon Trainer, and, well, it reveals how the alt-colours for his Pokemon will work... they take a common colour.

Co-Op three: Defeat the most enemies in 10 seconds! Yeah, at first glance not much to say here... Until you realize that they're using King Dedede. That early on? Considering I doubt you'll have to unlock Co-Op event and you never had to play the first event first, I'm fairly certain that confirms King Dedede is in the starting roster, although there is a small chance he won't be. Still, things look good for the King, and the roster theory.

Co-Op four: Is it just me, or does the picture for Co-Op four look completely different from All Mine? The picture looks like some golden star on a tropical island. When I first looked at it, I thought 'Stafy', and seeing how he is an AT that can be hurt, it would certainly be interesting to have an event match with him. The listed event is entirely different, however, which breaks the pattern. However, I'm going to explain why later. Right now, I want to get to...

Co-Op five: So, this is interesting. It is Eldin Bridge, no doubt about it. And it has two dark characters involved. Looking immediately at the two, you can assume one is Dark Link, but who is the other? After a minute of looking at it, it's Samus, except Dark. Dark Samus? I'm jumping to a huge conclusion here, saying that just because a dark version of samus exists Dark Samus won't be in, but considering Sakurai's stance on the Prime series, it's not too unlikely. I sincerely hope it isn't though, because it bodes ill for any good prime representation. However, the fact remains that it looks like in this event you fight Dark Link & Samus on the Bridge of Eldin. This lends strength to the relationship between Co-Op 2 and Event 5, which appear to be the same as well, because Regular Event 5 is the PT battle, opposed to the battle with 'Dark' characters.

Co-Op six: This looks like Zero Suit Samus and Zelda behind her, in some stage I cannot make out. It doesn't look too much like any stage before it, but if it is a new stage, there is no chance we can tell anything about it by such a small, useless photo. As for the choice of characters, it might simply be because they are female, like the Femme Fatale event match in Melee, but they also share another possible trait... transforming characters? It is possible, but it is way too much of a stretch for me to make. But that's all I can get on that.

So, what about All Mine & the fourth Co-Op event match? This is the same case as 'Sleeping in the Eggs' and 'Dark Link Duel' in the Event update; not shown, and probably events that will occur somewhat later. The reason All Mine was specifically chosen was because it makes a nice lead in to coin battles, the other half of the update.

And on a final note: Why does the new Target Test look so terrible? Why? What are they thinking? So far it looks awful.

So, in conclusion, this update strengthened the idea that the current roster with the exceptions of Snake & Sonic is the starting roster, possibly -1 if they decide to put another first party in as the newcomer. I think, however, that the last newcomer spot is for another 3rd party, and we have our starting roster. I won't comment on Dark Samus. I'll let that one up to you to decide, whether it hurts her chances or not. All in all, more to that update than expected.

Top Bottom