• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CNU SMASH! - Next Biweekly TBA

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Hey does anyone know what tournaments are going on in NoVa at the moment or who i can contact about such stuff? last time toasty just told me where to go:p

i really want to attend something again.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
ya, i do look..but sometimes you know about things in advance...moreover, sometimes i miss threads in that bloody north atlantic thread...why don't they just post by location instead of title.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Hey guys, it’s IV of Southern Virginia/Hampton Roads. I am giving out information about a tournament I am hosting in Williamsburg.

Who: Anyone who wants to come
What: Melee+Brawl Tournament; Singles+Doubles; 70/30 pot split for singles; undecided for doubles; Smashfest to precede/follow when tournament events are not going on
When: Sunday, June 29th 2008; from 1pm to 11pm; stay as long as you want!
Where: Williamsburg, VA (See my sig for more info!)
Why: Because the Smash scene in my area (especially the melee scene) is steadily dwindling; it is my responsibility to help keep the embers of smash aflame

See the thread posted in my sig for more details. I’d love to hear from you if you can or cannot make it.

**If I have offended anyone or angered anyone by posting in a thread of their’s, please tell me, and I won’t do it again.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i don't enjoy brawl enough to travel far to play/ pay lots of money on gas for it

now if it was a melee tourney i could consider it..but brawl isn't worth it

rhan

Smash Hero
Hate to say it. But Brawl gets more people then Melee. So the payout for Melee wouldn't be as great as Brawl. : (

But if I was forced to play one or the other. It'll be Melee.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Hate to say it. But Brawl gets more people then Melee. So the payout for Melee wouldn't be as great as Brawl. : (

But if I was forced to play one or the other. It'll be Melee.
That's easy to say when u play with scrubs. But consider that there are other more intelligent people out there like KP who are willing to travel relatively extreme distances for a tourney. The "Greatest Melee Tourney Since Brawl Came Out" had a huge number of people. The biggest Brawl tourney that i know of is CH3, and i doubt it will have great attendance from people far away (or has it already happened??; w/e idk or c).

Payout isnt the primary draw of a tournament anyway. The only reason there is such a scene for smash in the first place is because Melee exploded. Now it's kind of acting like a star: it will from now either shrink to a white dwarf, or be empowered like a black hole due to the disgrace that IS Brawl.

The Black hole will draw people in from afar. Brawl, on the other hand, simply isn't worth it.

rhan

Smash Hero
Crystalnite said:
That's easy to say when u play with scrubs. But consider that there are other more intelligent people out there like KP who are willing to travel relatively extreme distances for a tourney. The "Greatest Melee Tourney Since Brawl Came Out" had a huge number of people. The biggest Brawl tourney that i know of is CH3, and i doubt it will have great attendance from people far away (or has it already happened??; w/e idk or c).

Payout isnt the primary draw of a tournament anyway. The only reason there is such a scene for smash in the first place is because Melee exploded. Now it's kind of acting like a star: it will from now either shrink to a white dwarf, or be empowered like a black hole due to the disgrace that IS Brawl.

The Black hole will draw people in from afar. Brawl, on the other hand, simply isn't worth it
Well put IV. But most higher level players would only go to such tournaments just because of the payout.
CH3 had a total of 110 player there ready for Brawl. And DSF was one of those players apparently. Also, that comment on I only play with scrubs? Do you count yourself as a "scrub"? Anyway, this sort of discussion doesn't belong here.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
lol, knowing your place is a good thing; i'm still a scrub..and i've improved a lot since the old days..just watch chinesesah making me forget everything i had thought i had learned in those bad videos of me:p

is that correct english, theo?

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
actually lots of people were drawn to Critical Hit 3 EXPLICITLY (meaning: they SAID this) because of the huge payout. And even MORE people are going to come from further away for the next one because there will be DOUBLE the prize payout for CH4 (yes. $6000 guaranteed, by the venue, total prize pot). not just 2 people from the West Coast like for CH3, but people from North East, Florida, more of the South, the Midwest, Texas have already expressed interest/made promises to attend.

I'll even quote O-NO, who echoed a feeling many Smashers have expressed, "I'm going to play Brawl, because that's where the money's at."

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
Well put IV. But most higher level players would only go to such tournaments just because of the payout.
CH3 had a total of 110 player there ready for Brawl. And DSF was one of those players apparently. Also, that comment on I only play with scrubs? Do you count yourself as a "scrub"? Anyway, this sort of discussion doesn't belong here.
yes, u play with scrubs.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
lol, knowing your place is a good thing; i'm still a scrub..and i've improved a lot since the old days..just watch chinesesah making me forget everything i had thought i had learned in those bad videos of me:p

is that correct english, theo?
Yes, but ur not a scrub. I will not hear such words.

actually lots of people were drawn to Critical Hit 3 EXPLICITLY (meaning: they SAID this) because of the huge payout. And even MORE people are going to come from further away for the next one because there will be DOUBLE the prize payout for CH4 (yes. $6000 guaranteed, by the venue, total prize pot). not just 2 people from the West Coast like for CH3, but people from North East, Florida, more of the South, the Midwest, Texas have already expressed interest/made promises to attend.

I'll even quote O-NO, who echoed a feeling many Smashers have expressed, "I'm going to play Brawl, because that's where the money's at."
Ok. There are more sell-outs than I thought in the Smash community. Sell-outs forgetting why they were drawn to Smash in the first place.

Can someone pm me with the past 2 months of brawl happenings?

<3
Don't worry; it doesn't matter.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
Ok. There are more sell-outs than I thought in the Smash community. Sell-outs forgetting why they were drawn to Smash in the first place.
think what you want. hate Brawl all you want. I'm playing a game I really do love despite its incredible flaws and I'm actually having fun [not that I didn't in Melee] and I'm making money doing it. But in the end, the money is just a bonus. Not being cliche...I even spend the money freely on my fellow smashers [like if we're all out after tourney and they're broke but hungry, I'll buy them food or whatever]

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
think what you want. hate Brawl all you want. I'm playing a game I really do love despite its incredible flaws and I'm actually having fun [not that I didn't in Melee] and I'm making money doing it. But in the end, the money is just a bonus. Not being cliche...I even spend the money freely on my fellow smashers [like if we're all out after tourney and they're broke but hungry, I'll buy them food or whatever]
Godsend. The world needs more toasty's.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
schoolie, just look at the results page; it's all there.

I haven't paid as much attention to brawl because of the lack of videos though:\ i do know who won and lost from the results...but i don't get the dearth of videos available.

Melee had some new vids though; as well as a couple tournaments with pros.

I don't really play brawl much anymore..but i did play some yesterday when i took a break from melee for a couple hours...i didn't find it that hard to win..either the people i'm playing against weren't that good...or brawl lacks that depth that people keep claiming is there...

or maybe snake is just as pathetically easy to play as i remember....

but i have heard the new tiers are mk, ddd, and snake...regardless, i found that my lucario performed best...easiest to play other than snake..my mk doesn't play right after having not played in ages.

in other news i got to play chaos knight. He was pretty good; based on win percentage i would say his fox is slightly better than mine..while his secondaries are not as good as mine. But it's hard to believe someone is playing seriously when they talk while playing

but ya, that was really fun...a little more beneficial than the total destruction that occured when i played chinesesah.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
O-NO's not a complete sell-out. He's mostly too old-school for school...er...wait, that's not right. Whatever.
He's got the heart, he just doesn't understand Brawl, but he really wants to. All of his smash friends, for the most part, play Brawl so he wants to stay in the community and stay current...but those were simply the words he used and those were the words that worked best with my argument earlier :) :) :)

Godsend. The world needs more toasty's.

<3<3<3<3<3
who aaaarreee youuu??? come to a SoVa event! ^_^

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
O-NO's not a complete sell-out. He's mostly too old-school for school...er...wait, that's not right. Whatever.
He's got the heart, he just doesn't understand Brawl, but he really wants to. All of his smash friends, for the most part, play Brawl so he wants to stay in the community and stay current...but those were simply the words he used and those were the words that worked best with my argument earlier :) :) :)

<3<3<3<3<3
Ugh my words phail me. O-No isnt a sell-out. he's still a driving force in the smash community. w/e u know what i mean...meh.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
<3<3<3<3<3
I go to VT, and I've been to CNU once for a tournament. The bus is really **** expensive and it's a pain getting a ride from the bus stop to the various colleges. But I have a car this year!

Top Bottom