• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CNU SMASH! - Next Biweekly TBA

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Then Why the hell haven't you dropped by to play me in williamsburg..

it's only 20min away..sheesh

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
yeah, what amount? and do you want to determine the characters ahead of time, or just do normal advanced slob picks (I announce level, you pick char, then I pick char. or vice versa, who ever lost the previous round)

its up to you. I say 5 bucks. my ganon vs any 1 of your chars best of 7.

how about 2 mm, ganon v fox then ganon v falco. both $5 both best of 7
$5 is fine...and les go "advanced slob picks"; my fox is ****, but if i cant learn the matchup fast enough, then i'll need to revert to falco.

well play at the next cnu event...

which will be...?

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
shrugs, just my opinion but fats' ganon ought to be at a level to beat your falco...your fox has a better chance, your fox keeps improving every time we play crystal:) though it's one thing ot learn the ditto matchup and another to have widespread experience..but some of it carries over...plus overall skill counts a lot...i definitely couldn't remember a thing about the sheik matchup when i played your sheik with marth, so i played the matchup completely wrong with my strategy (but i still won because i had more marth exp than you had sheik exp).

take it serious fats..his fox is getting pretty good..but he's less of a threat to you i think cause he's never played the matchup..it's really hard playing your first matchup against a char like ganon when the only ganon's you've ever played moobed like slobs and randomly aerialled all over the place with bad spacing begging to be punished.

advice for you crystal:

camp like a *****
remember that it takes longer to upthrow heavies
ganon's aerial priority can't be competed, it can only be beaten by speed...don't be careless with your approach and run straight into the jabs

only advice to you fats is:

don't get waveshine infinited on PS
remember that it's not a win if you don't wizard's foot them:)
crystal likes to shine spike..so don't get knocked off

speaking of which why don't you help crystal and I by explaining where the hitbox is during ganon's up+B and how far it extends:)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
but you can shine spike them out of it..does that mean you have to be directly above or can you outspace it somehow? i never really pay attention i just go for it

linkmastersword

Smash Lord
ganon's up b has a bigger grab range then marth's grab :)

edit- I'd love to meet up and smash with ya'll this week, BUT I"VE GOT BRAZIL SQUANDERS!!!!! there will be space animal pwnage when I return though, you best practice up while I'm out of practice.

laterrrrrr

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Everything will depend on possible turnouts. We come back on theeee... 20th? If everyone's cool with the weekend of the 26th, there shouldn't be a problem >_>

And Ether, you should talk to Spd about that, because two of my roommate's are... not of the interesting nature, but the 4th guy is pretty cool... just never there. Spd, Juan Pcat are usually playing two floors directly below me, could be fun.

Hope everyone's enjoying their breaks, I know this thread sure is :)

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
idc if he spends the night at my place, and i doubt my roommates will
i've played smash 3x in 3 weeks =O
so out of practice

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
or better yet, someone come play smash with me all day starting from now until tomorrow at like 7am:) come on..pretty please? IV is the only one who has cared enough about my suffering enough to drop by...it's so sad...confined to one little house...so little smash

SchoolieDee

Smash Journeyman
Ether, if we end up hosting CNU Round 9, would you be willing to do that overnighter you mentioned and help my approaches and general matchups? If I'm going to enter pound3, I want to be prepared, which is not something I can say now. I have insecurities on Japes, many times I'm just too afraid to go bowser in the clutch, last-match situations.

You could play Juan and Pat, too :p

Ether

Smash Ace
If you want me to teach you anything, you need to first be able to explain to me every move you are making and why. If you cannot do that, then you are making unnecessary moves, and you should correct that first. So sure, I'll help you, but the first thing I am going to do is sandbag you while you narrate all of your moves to me.

Kukulza

Smash Apprentice
A challenge from Ether!?
yea i need some serious practice i havent been playing much lately and i know i could use some advice. The whole calling out my moves and why is gonna kill me, idk how often i just sorta decide meh..throw some of that in there too...

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
"If you want me to teach you anything, you need to first be able to explain to me every move you are making and why. If you cannot do that, then you are making unnecessary moves, and you should correct that first. So sure, I'll help you, but the first thing I am going to do is sandbag you while you narrate all of your moves to me." -- ether

heh, ether understands their flaws..but even once he starts explaining you'll have a hard time..the reality is that way too much of the avg players game is based on positional based games and too little prediction, thus people fail to adapt or adjust their aim...ether if you manage to improve him i will be very impressed..it's possible in a few hours, though personally i've found training works best if you force him to iterate focused training on a certain aspect for a while and then move on.. that way it becomes habitual..but at the same time it's harder to learn a lot of things at once..in general when i tried to master too much at once i dont execute properly at all.

ether how can i become flawless at waveshining falcon across FD and such even when i get the shine from behind:p

i'm wondering if it's possible to catch them before tehy can move every time..can you turn around in the shine or do you have to go backwards all the way across FD...i am bad at continuous backwards WS..can't seem to do it...

lol, i'm trying to think if i have real honest questions about smash..but none atm..

oh, i have a big weakness in that my combos with marth are all garbage:\ how do i get pretty combos like you did on G-reg on Green greens...

*shrugs* here's a good question...how do you learn to think against thinking players when most of the players you are playing willingly admit they don't think out their moves much:\

i yell and yell that they need to just slow down and play at like 50% speed until they grasp when and where to use each move. Also, I recently picked up repeatedly doing the same thing to punish someone until finally after 3-4 tries when i would normally have switched they pick up on it and punish properly. The problem i have is that it seems that they forget everything when under pressure.

as for my own game, i feel like i must be losing it...today i was edgeguarded by triple firefox to death...if i hadn't seen it i wouldn't have believed it with my own eyes...and the funny thing was..it was an effective combo because if i didn't up + B immediately i would fall to my death

and regardless he just dropped down close to me and instead of shining he firefoxed and then dropped slightly so that the fire touched me and made me drop again..and then repeated it twice more to kill me....i mean how pro is that? i don't even know what to do against that level of skill..

but on the bright side I mindgamed my friend by telling him exactly what i would go for the next time to punish him..he of course didn't believe me and so spotdodged right into my charging upsmash

Poehlcat

Smash Apprentice
If you want me to teach you anything, you need to first be able to explain to me every move you are making and why. If you cannot do that, then you are making unnecessary moves, and you should correct that first. So sure, I'll help you, but the first thing I am going to do is sandbag you while you narrate all of your moves to me.
Haha, sweet. Appreciated.

Ether

Smash Ace
ether how can i become flawless at waveshining falcon across FD and such even when i get the shine from behind:p

i'm wondering if it's possible to catch them before tehy can move every time..can you turn around in the shine or do you have to go backwards all the way across FD...i am bad at continuous backwards WS..can't seem to do it...
Just practice. I'm also pretty bad at waveshining backwards, but the key is to shine, THEN jump/wd, then turn around and start waveshining forwards. A lot of people learned to waveshine by using the quarter circle forward motion, including myself, but that just turns Fox around if you are waveshining backwards, and that stalls your waveshine.

oh, i have a big weakness in that my combos with marth are all garbage:\ how do i get pretty combos like you did on G-reg on Green greens...
Actually, I was talking to myself in my head as I slashed:

"***...THIS...MOTHER...****ING...FALCON...DIE...FALCON...DIE...YOU...MOTHER...****ING...FALCON"

So you can try this and see if it works for you.

*shrugs* here's a good question...how do you learn to think against thinking players when most of the players you are playing willingly admit they don't think out their moves much:\
I ask myself, "What would I do if I were them?" I make a lot of my predictions like that. If they do something that I wouldn't do, I make a mental note of it, and I get better/learn their style faster. But don't think too hard...smash is complicatedly simple. - Neo

i yell and yell that they need to just slow down and play at like 50% speed until they grasp when and where to use each move. Also, I recently picked up repeatedly doing the same thing to punish someone until finally after 3-4 tries when i would normally have switched they pick up on it and punish properly. The problem i have is that it seems that they forget everything when under pressure.
Yeah, I feel like a lot of people in SoVa don't play against me nearly as hard as they do against each other, maybe because they are intimidated by me. One of the main reasons I sandbag is so that they are more comfortable with beating me into a pulp and they start to play their hardest. But sometimes it doesn't work *shrug*

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
Oh, Ether advice thread.

How long can I chaingrab Ganon with DI before I get the downair ****?

Level 9 DI sucks.

Also, I usually downthrow to dash attack. Is the N-Air a better approach against Ganon?

Of course, I'm using Marth.

SpeedYoshi

Smash Journeyman
marth can't chaingrab ganon...
and dthrow-> dash attack won't work if your opponent tech the dthrow
if they don't hit the ground you're better off using fair to start a combo

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
focus your psychic powers and levitate the ganon, then use disable on them and regrab...

or play someone like sheik who can cg ganon.

my ganon training for vs fats consisted of me picking up ganon for the last day or two...i doubt it helped...but on the bright side..i've concluded ganon is a pretty good char...worthy of his spot in the tiers

and btw alex...you need to slow it down too..especially in teams..i can't play with you if your moves don't make any sense...ie no more falcon for you:p

and play slower against mark too and you'll win more...speed is the fallback of tech heavy players who can't think...you won't improve much that way..though your hands may improve

Top Bottom