• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Close Quarters

Α∨ery

Smash Rookie
i have been playing falco for a while now and my biggest problem seems to be when I am in close quarters. I can't seem to figure out what to do when I'm not close enough to shine and too close to approach. I used to just roll away, but I don't like doing that as it got predictable. Now I seem to just get destroyed in that range though.

Epic563

Smash Cadet
NNID
lacoot
I have this same problem as well. I think a lot of new Falco's struggle with this.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
SH bair > auto cancel or SH fair while fading back to wall them out. And use your tilts bro.
Oh and WD OoS is better than rolling on those situations.

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
You can fall-back nair to keep them at bay and regain a bit of stage. You can also tomahawk jump to bait them to shield. You can then react accordingly.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
You can also walk or pivot into a range you're more comfortable in, or try to block and punish opponent's attacks if you so desire.
If they're doing anything but CC, jab can be useful. The most proactive and generally best stuff is in krazyzyko's post.

Depending on what you mean by "too close to approach" you might want to try crossing them up completely, and then instead of shine you can WD away, shield, bair, dash, or utilt (try to do the most rewarding you know you can get away with). A properly spaced fsmash can also be annoyingly effective, but it can be reacted to, and if they expect it it probably won't work as well (or are moving horizontally when you tried to space it if it wasn't accounting for the movement).

Cthulhu's Underling

Smash Cadet
I think the previous posts covered it well. Maybe you could try throwing in a grab once in a while. Or even surprise them with an up-smash, at higher percents. Close quarters blows when you're Falco; I hate it.

OninO

Smash Journeyman
Don't underestimate cross ups. Not every aerial has to be fast falled on shield into shine, cross ups are a super powerful tool against every character.

Top Bottom