• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Characters for Project M Discussion Thread (Voting Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
What I'm loving about Murasame Castle mode in Samurai Warriors 3 is that it picks where the original game ends so it feels like a sequel.
I just unlocked him in free mode. I'm thinking of buying hyrule warriors thanks to him. :D

Btw, Best character to clone takamaru off? I'm thinking Sheik.
Nerf speed, add a katana Or ninjato and perhaps the kunai model could change into a pinwheel when charged, and fire shuriken when fully charged.
Any idea on what to replace the chain whip?

What do you guys think?
I'd say Link is easily the best base for a Takamaru model. Character values like fall speed, run speed and the like can be altered between a clone and its base, right? On top of that, Link already possesses a sword/sword data to be manipulated, as well as enough articles that can be repurposed into Takamaru's projectile arsenal while also highlighting what his game play style was like in Mysterious Murasame Castle:

Bow & Arrow -> Will-o-Wisp Fireballs: Hold to charge, don't go as far without the hold, when charged they become a cluster that detonates in four directions after traveling a set distance similar to how one of the power ups in MMC changed his projectile's attributes

Boomerang -> Windmill Swords: Frisbee bladed projectiles that can work like the opposite of vBrawl Link's Gale Boomerang (generate a small gust tower that pushes people and damages as it does), charge to throw multiple in a tower formation and thus a larger gust (about as big/tall as v.Brawl's Gale Boomerang since it does travel full screen)

Bombs -> Throwing Knives: Generates an article he can hold and run around with a la Peach's turnips or Link's Bombs and pys homage to the iconic "4 way tossing" that was so prominent in MMC. Knives don't travel too far though and can be discarded at will. Not sure how modifying projectiles like Link's Bombs would work based on the Clone Engine however...

Hylian Spin -> Invisibility Scroll: Up B has Takamaru take out an invisibility scroll that unfurls itself in a spin before "teleporting" him elsewhere (in reality he's just moving there invisibly with a visual marker [the cartoony circle shadows from the game whenever something turns invisible or sakura petals when he moves through the air]) Works like Fox's UpB, small charge time/animation - travels in one direction dictated by the control stick.

I mentioned all of this in my Takamaru move set update where I go into more detail. All the same, I'd love to see more takes on his move set after people start playing his game this week. That might lead to some awesome ideas.

Asking two questions in a row like that makes me feel pressured. xD
But, and I don't know anything about Takamaru, but what if his side-B had you hold B and flick the control stick and he'd swing his sword in line with the stick? Kind of like Meta Knight's neutral.
This sounds pretty cool for a sword wielder's special move but I figured that Takamaru's specials would/should be more focused on his ranged weaponry over his sword which should only come into play for smash attacks and aerials. It's to reflect the gameplay of MMC which revolved around projectile offense while you came in through the chaos in with lethal sword draws.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I'd say Link is easily the best base for a Takamaru model. Character values like fall speed, run speed and the like can be altered between a clone and its base, right? On top of that, Link already possesses a sword/sword data to be manipulated, as well as enough articles that can be repurposed into Takamaru's projectile arsenal while also highlighting what his game play style was like in Mysterious Murasame Castle:

Bow & Arrow -> Will-o-Wisp Fireballs: Hold to charge, don't go as far without the hold, when charged they become a cluster that detonates in four directions after traveling a set distance similar to how one of the power ups in MMC changed his projectile's attributes

Boomerang -> Windmill Swords: Frisbee bladed projectiles that can work like the opposite of vBrawl Link's Gale Boomerang (generate a small gust tower that pushes people and damages as it does), charge to throw multiple in a tower formation and thus a larger gust (about as big/tall as v.Brawl's Gale Boomerang since it does travel full screen)

Bombs -> Throwing Knives: Generates an article he can hold and run around with a la Peach's turnips or Link's Bombs and pys homage to the iconic "4 way tossing" that was so prominent in MMC. Knives don't travel too far though and can be discarded at will. Not sure how modifying projectiles like Link's Bombs would work based on the Clone Engine however...

Hylian Spin -> Invisibility Scroll: Up B has Takamaru take out an invisibility scroll that unfurls itself in a spin before "teleporting" him elsewhere (in reality he's just moving there invisibly with a visual marker [the cartoony circle shadows from the game whenever something turns invisible or sakura petals when he moves through the air]) Works like Fox's UpB, small charge time/animation - travels in one direction dictated by the control stick.

I mentioned all of this in my Takamaru move set update where I go into more detail. All the same, I'd love to see more takes on his move set after people start playing his game this week. That might lead to some awesome ideas.

This sounds pretty cool for a sword wielder's special move but I figured that Takamaru's specials would/should be more focused on his ranged weaponry over his sword which should only come into play for smash attacks and aerials. It's to reflect the gameplay of MMC which revolved around projectile offense while you came in through the chaos in with lethal sword draws.
That's a pretty good reasoning actually. :D
I just went with Sheik because, well, I hadn't read a good Link base moveset before.
And 2 because we already have Link and Toon Link, so a 3rd Link would be kind of underwhelming to me...
However, it makes sense. And I don't know how, but I've actually gotten sorta good at Link despite me not ever caring for the character, so I might get better with a good Takamaru Link clone. :D

I chose Sheik because a variation of her moveset would be kinda cool too. Speedy strikes with some afterlag, and projectiles that change upon charging. Not so sure what to do about the chain BUT ninjas use chains, and Takamaru is sort of a samurai-ninja hybrid with a 200% Samurai honor code.

Now if we DO use Link's moveset as a base, I think he should borrow one of those red mines from the game for him to PLANT. Instead of throwing them, he plants them on the ground for some set-ups, wouldn't that be kinda awesome?
I'm just afraid that doesn't quite represent his style of game... Although I have used this to my advantage in SW3.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
To recap, this week's winners are:

Let's go TakaSquad! :D

That's a pretty good reasoning actually. :D
I just went with Sheik because, well, I hadn't read a good Link base moveset before.
And 2 because we already have Link and Toon Link, so a 3rd Link would be kind of underwhelming to me...
However, it makes sense. And I don't know how, but I've actually gotten sorta good at Link despite me not ever caring for the character, so I might get better with a good Takamaru Link clone. :D

I chose Sheik because a variation of her moveset would be kinda cool too. Speedy strikes with some afterlag, and projectiles that change upon charging. Not so sure what to do about the chain BUT ninjas use chains, and Takamaru is sort of a samurai-ninja hybrid with a 200% Samurai honor code.

Now if we DO use Link's moveset as a base, I think he should borrow one of those red mines from the game for him to PLANT. Instead of throwing them, he plants them on the ground for some set-ups, wouldn't that be kinda awesome?
I'm just afraid that doesn't quite represent his style of game... Although I have used this to my advantage in SW3.
...there were MINES in Mysterious Murasame Castle? Or is this from the Samurai Warriors 3 mode? Yo, if I find out that mines are a thing in the classic game, this current move set is getting a big change to it's down B mechanics like right now. lol I've been trying to skew mostly towards things that exist in the Famicom game only just to prevent being in the grey area that would be referencing a game that isn't referenced in Brawl despite being fitting with the character.

As for your comments on Link, I'm not looking to make a third Link either. Takamaru would still be a nimble draw and sheathe swordsman when the moments were right (it's the whole reason why I back him so strongly lately, sorry Lyn). He just diversifies himself with his array of mid to long range weaponry.

ZeruSlayer

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1993-8718-4724
1/2 Vote for Takemaru

Also, can someone tell me if I +1 Voted Andy or Sami, I remember I flip-flopped a bit with that vote and I want to know the final result the pollers picked.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Let's go TakaSquad! :D

As for your comments on Link, I'm not looking to make a third Link either. Takamaru would still be a nimble draw and sheathe swordsman when the moments were right (it's the whole reason why I back him so strongly lately, sorry Lyn). He just diversifies himself with his array of mid to long range weaponry.
That's cool! :D Since Takamaru has just about enough stuff to draw from, all of us Taka fans know what we want out of his moveset, as long as it does him justice!

And yeah, there are red mines in the original game, I had the satisfaction of realizing that they blow up on you even if you're invisible. :(

I think it's possible to make him invisible for certain attacks. I mean, if they pulled it off with Mewtwo, then it means there is no limitation for this. If they manage to turn Link's Up+B into a slightly enhanced Metaknight's Down+B, then that would be sweet!

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
That's cool! :D Since Takamaru has just about enough stuff to draw from, all of us Taka fans know what we want out of his moveset, as long as it does him justice!

And yeah, there are red mines in the original game, I had the satisfaction of realizing that they blow up on you even if you're invisible. :(

I think it's possible to make him invisible for certain attacks. I mean, if they pulled it off with Mewtwo, then it means there is no limitation for this. If they manage to turn Link's Up+B into a slightly enhanced Metaknight's Down+B, then that would be sweet!
I generally wanted to stay away from long bursts of invisibility/intangibility because of "fond" memories of getting camped by MetaKnight's down B stall glitch way back when in vBrawl. :lol

I think between the upB idea I presented in my move set and his final smash, he'll be true to form while being balanced for the Project M environment.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Go go, Link's distant relatives!
(Why are they looking so furiously at each other?)
Takamaru's pissed because he was supposed to inherit the family fortune but the train was held up for seven months leading to Link running off with the inheritance. Sable's pissed because no one remembers his kingdom despite Link coming into contact with Richard and sharing his wealth and fame with him.

Not pictured: Link in the middle as the subject of their glares.

Last edited:

Golf Actual

Smash Rookie
Ah, okay. Sorry, like I said, I know very little about the character. I had no idea he used projectile weapons.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
@ Marakatu Marakatu I spy Donbe in your banner.
<- That guy right there.

He is actually a sticker in Brawl that no one has discussed. He looks like an interesting character. He also had a trophy in Melee I do believe. I don't know much about this character though, but he gives me Tomba vibes.

Discussion anyone?

EDIT: His wiki description looks quite hilarious.

Donbe
A small boy resembling a caveman with long blue hair that obstructs his eyes, and a teal robe. He was born from a rice bowl floating down a river. Not the most intelligent of children, but wields massive strength for his age. On the second disc, he undergoes an age change, looking more like a young teenager.

Last edited:

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
Ah, okay. Sorry, like I said, I know very little about the character. I had no idea he used projectile weapons.
No need to apologize, I'm glad that you were interested enough to try making a unique mechanic for him. Have you voted for Takamaru or were you just chiming in on the current conversation?

TRJV

Smash Journeyman
<- That guy right there.

He is actually a sticker in Brawl that no one has discussed. He looks like an interesting character. He also had a trophy in Melee I do believe. I don't know much about this character though, but he gives me Tomba vibes.

Discussion anyone?

Donbe
A small boy resembling a caveman with long blue hair that obstructs his eyes, and a teal robe. He was born from a rice bowl floating down a river. Not the most intelligent of children, but wields massive strength for his age. On the second disc, he undergoes an age change, looking more like a young teenager.
Wait, he's a GUY

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Donbe could actually be pretty cool!
Wait, the's a GUY

Yeah. I actually talked about him once before, but it only hit me that he could draw inspiration from characters like Tomba. I was discussing the idea of how it could be possible to make a character whose specials revolve around command grapples, like Diddy Kong's being mapped to all the special buttons. That is, if this is possible. Another character this could especially be cool for is Rawk Hawk from Paper Mario. I remember bringing him up once before. But in a discussion me and Shin had, he brought up Rawk Hawk as an idea for a grapple based character. Which would be based as ****. Nice call Shin.

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
<- That guy right there.

Discussion anyone?

Donbe
I made a post about Donbe's potencial a while ago. Here it is: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ise-and-son-goku.347531/page-36#post-16690621
I think kid Donbe would be a brute-like character, like Donkey Kong. He has a stick, so he could also borrow some moves from Lucas. Teenager Donbe would be probably a Marth clone, but with a katana.
Btw, Donbe is based on Momotaro, the boy who was born from a peach floating down a river. His sister Hikari is based on Princess Kaguya, the princess of the moon.
I recommend checking the Donbe and Hikari support thread. There are plenty of information and some cool pictures there. :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/nintendos-own-demon-fighting-duo-donbe-hikari-for-ssb4.339540/

While we are at it,
+1 Donbe, with or without Hikari :estatic:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I made a post about Donbe's potencial a while ago. Here it is: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ise-and-son-goku.347531/page-36#post-16690621
I think kid Donbe would be a brute-like character, like Donkey Kong. He has a stick, so he could also borrow some moves from Lucas. Teenager Donbe would be probably a Marth clone, but with a katana.
Btw, Donbe is based on Momotaro, the boy who was born from a peach floating down a river. His sister Hikari is based on Princess Kaguya, the princess of the moon.
I recommend checking the Donbe and Hikari support thread. There are plenty of information and some cool pictures there. :)
http://smashboards.com/threads/nintendos-own-demon-fighting-duo-donbe-hikari-for-ssb4.339540/

While we are at it,
I agree that we should get Donbe and Hikari.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
But can we? Hikari is not a sticker in Brawl. Though there was the Shin Onigashima track and the Donbe sticker. Can we vote for a character that had her series represented, but didn't appear in the game itself?
The short answer. No.

Long answer. The characters themselves have to appear in the game in some form to be eligible. Rather that be a cameo, trophy, sticker, assist trophy, ect. We are still trying to confirm rather or not text as an eligible form of appearance. But until deemed otherwise by a member of the Project M Backroom, it is not.

Last edited:

Shin F.

Smash Master
But can we? Hikari is not a sticker in Brawl. Though there was the Shin Onigashima track and the Donbe sticker. Can we vote for a character that had her series represented, but didn't appear in the game itself?
I wasn't aware Hikari wasn't in Brawl. I guess I just assumed she was because she had the trophy in Melee. She's not a candidate, then.

Last edited:

Golf Actual

Smash Rookie
No need to apologize, I'm glad that you were interested enough to try making a unique mechanic for him. Have you voted for Takamaru or were you just chiming in on the current conversation?
I suppose I was just chiming in--I actually haven't voted for anyone yet, though Takamaru does seem very cool.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal

While we are at it,
This is pretty cool info, but I still stand by my ideas. Some of the strongest characters in fighting games are actually grapplers. He also doesn't have to be cloned over Lucas to use the stick either. Donbe as a teenager would likely be ineligible, and even probably worse, overlooked for being another niche swordsman with less to set him apart from the others. Since the series is heavily text based, you can tell there is very little visual action sequences in the game he is from to define his character. That essentially makes him a very blank slate for inspiration to take place. Just something to think about.

Marakatu

Smash Ace
Since the series is heavily text based, you can tell there is very little visual action sequences in the game he is from to define his character. That essentially makes him a very blank slate for inspiration to take place. Just something to think about.
Wow, that makes a lot of sense. Any moveset would fit Donbe, if it looks like something a caveboy would do.

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Wow, that makes a lot of sense. Any moveset would fit Donbe, if it looks like something a caveboy would do.
Any child in general, actually. Imagine how a child with lack of intellect, but decent strength would react in a fight. Angry kids often grab, hit, use the first thing they find to smack you with, anything to try and win. When your mind has not been taught to fight properly, you fight as unorthodox as possible. Grappling and standard attacks with a stick sounds right down Donbe's alley. So Tomba would be a good source of inspiration of Donbe's character. Since Tomba is essentially that. A kid who grew up living an unorthodox lifestyle and wasn't taught any different. It is reflected in how he handles situations.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Sorry about the double post guys, but I KNEW there was a reason why I liked Donbe so much. And I just realized why. He reminds me a lot of a character from a cartoon I watched as a kid. If anyone remembers this, you win the internet.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Sorry about the double post guys, but I KNEW there was a reason why I liked Donbe so much. And I just realized why. He reminds me a lot of a character from a cartoon I watched as a kid. If anyone remembers this, you win the internet.

I take it that you would love this character as an alternate Color scheme for Donbe?

Shin F.

Smash Master

Flint the Time Detective, right? I only saw a couple of episodes as a kid, but I remember liking it and wanting to see more. I think because he reminded me of Kid Goku, lol.

Last edited:

Solbliminal

Smash Champion
NNID
Solbliminal
Flint the Time Detective, right? I only saw a couple of episodes as a kid, but I remember liking it and wanting to see more. I think because he reminded me of Kid Goku, lol.
Shin wins the internet. It shall be renamed... The Shinternet!!!

I knew we had similar tastes, haha. But honestly. I loved this cartoon as a kid. It just had that weird villain of the day charm about it with likable characters.

I take it that you would love this character as an alternate Color scheme for Donbe?
Tomba and Flint alt colors would be pretty win honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom