• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Click Delay (input lag) in every single game.

skcye

Smash Rookie
I am playing on the Wii U version of Smash 4.

First of all, this is my internet

It will not let me post the link due to not enough post, but my internet is

104MB/s down, 9 MB/s up, and 16 MS when I test it on speedtest.

Any game I play, fighting game what ever I get no lag in what so ever, no click delay, no lag at all (unless playing against a laggy player).

If I play blazblue, Street Fighter, Persona 4 arena you name it 0!!!! input lag, I can play shooters online, 0 input lag at all.

However, ONLY with both Super Smash Brothers Brawl, and this new smash there is in EVERY SINGLE GAME around a 0.15-0.25 second click delay with EVERY action. This is totally, and completely unplayable for a fighting game, it makes the online experience more or less just spamming fast moves like side b, or charge hits. There is so much click delay you can't react to anything.

I understand the game lags depending who you're going against, but this is EVERY SINGLE game for me, even the ones with no noticeable lag at all other than the input lag.

Last edited:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
I disagree about being unplayable for a fighting game and "being not able to react to anything".
But yes, SSB online is laggy.
Nintendo/Sakurai can't make a decent online experience...
Because I remember about Brawl, I never had any expectation about SSBU with a great online.

But for what I saw, SSB4 is playable online...
It's far from perfect and your best option to train, but it's playable.
With a bit of luck, you have always the offline option with another great players.

skcye

Smash Rookie
I disagree about being unplayable for a fighting game and "being not able to react to anything".
But yes, SSB online is laggy.
Nintendo/Sakurai can't make a decent online experience...
Because I remember about Brawl, I never had any expectation about SSBU with a great online.

But for what I saw, SSB4 is playable online...
It's far from perfect and your best option to train, but it's playable.
With a bit of luck, you have always the offline option with another great players.
The problem with training for online is you're teaching yourself bad habits, and adding 0.15-0.25 seconds of input lag changes your reaction time from 0.30 seconds (considered great for a human being) to 0.5-0.6 seconds (this is what old people have).

The offline runs great no complaints, just wish the online wasn't so horrible.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Everyone in the game will have the 0.15~0.25 seconds of input delay, so it's fair.
But I understand the problem of playing with reaction time delayed, I just don't think it's that bad to be considered "unplayable".
It's like saying you can't play drunk. You can, it will never be your greatest display of skill... like online.

skcye

Smash Rookie
Everyone in the game will have the 0.15~0.25 seconds of input delay, so it's fair.
But I understand the problem of playing with reaction time delayed, I just don't think it's that bad to be considered "unplayable".
It's like saying you can't play drunk. You can, it will never be your greatest display of skill... like online.
Fair enough, just really disappointment, was hoping the online experience would be good enough to add more longevity to the game for me.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Fair enough, just really disappointment, was hoping the online experience would be good enough to add more longevity to the game for me.
The online experience is good, though. Perhaps it isn't working well for you, but a lot of people are reporting good experiences with it (even some of those gaming sites claimed the netcode of the Wii U version is great). As for me, I had plenty of lag free matches on the 3DS and since I moved to the Wii U version, lag in matches became something very rare. I suffer from some input delay at times (like in one every ten matches), but actual lag? It is very rare.

infomon

Smash Scientist
Perhaps it is your opponents.

Also, all the other games you mentioned are not on the Wii or Wii U, is that correct? Are any of them connected over wifi, or is that broadband directly connected to your PC / other console? Your WiFi router may be the cause of some delay. I recommend you get a USB ethernet adaptor for your Wii U.

That being said, again it's likely your opponents, and offline will always be better than online. Are you sure you're familiar enough with the Smash controls/timings to identify if a problem is actually lag? Are you using the same TV with the WiiU as the other consoles?

Just checking all the bases... cuz I have extremely low lag (feels like none at all) in some online matches. I'm on fiber-optic internet that is all mine with no other devices connected.. Although of course I get lots of lag in many online matches which I attribute to the opponent (for glory = lolz sometimes). Sometimes the lag feels like input lag, other times it feels different, but w/e. But sometimes it feels like there's absolutely none (although I'm sure there are probably a frame or two because Internet).

Make sure you're playing enough offline matches to get the timings down. Offline will always be the best.

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
As of today I had around 20 matches and had absolutely no issues. Opposed to my last two days I had nothing but a slight delay in matches. At least for me it is better. Whether they did something to fix the players I match up with, or just their server in general I am unaware. It simply runs smoother as of today for me.

Last edited:

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
I'm constantly getting lag myself. It's even to the point where it freezes for up to a few seconds sometimes. My inet, modem, router all fine. Other wii u games play fine no problem but just with smash I get such bad lag. It makes it unplayable for me. No idea if there's even anything I can do to make it playable.

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
Is there anyone here to have absolutely ZERO input lag? I feel some people are getting confused with lag and input lag (not in this thread). I just purchased the LAN adapter just for this game in hopes all input delay would be eliminated but it wasn't the case. The best game I had was .2-.3 second input delay with no frame drops (or standard lag what people call it). I'm trying to figure out if online play in this game has the potential to have no input lag at all. The problem with figuring this out is that some people have just gotten used to it that has become perfect them, so I guess we need someone who's really technical and can catch these small problems. Its like telling the difference between 55fps and 60fps, casual person won't see a difference.

Back to topic, my setup is 30mbps/6mbps, was using WiFi before and seeing all the positivity of the LAN adapter it didn't make much of a difference, however eshop downloads are now incredibly faster. When playing with friends online and you're in the lobby looking for games there is a connection indicator of how well the match performed. From best to worst.
Blue
Green
Orange
Red

With all my friends there is nothing but blue and all those games still had input lag. So is there anyone who had a completely input lagless game?

Patrick Ray

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheAmericaMan
3DS FC
5129-2776-3291
Is there anyone here to have absolutely ZERO input lag? I feel some people are getting confused with lag and input lag (not in this thread). I just purchased the LAN adapter just for this game in hopes all input delay would be eliminated but it wasn't the case. The best game I had was .2-.3 second input delay with no frame drops (or standard lag what people call it). I'm trying to figure out if online play in this game has the potential to have no input lag at all. The problem with figuring this out is that some people have just gotten used to it that has become perfect them, so I guess we need someone who's really technical and can catch these small problems. Its like telling the difference between 55fps and 60fps, casual person won't see a difference.

Back to topic, my setup is 30mbps/6mbps, was using WiFi before and seeing all the positivity of the LAN adapter it didn't make much of a difference, however eshop downloads are now incredibly faster. When playing with friends online and you're in the lobby looking for games there is a connection indicator of how well the match performed. From best to worst.
Blue
Green
Orange
Red

With all my friends there is nothing but blue and all those games still had input lag. So is there anyone who had a completely input lagless game?

As of yesterday I have had 0 input lag in my matches. Everything responds the instant I touch the button as in offline mode. I haven't had a chance today but when I get back I'll see if it is Still the same

infomon

Smash Scientist
I'm Pikachu. I hit A to jab. The jab happens. It's instantaneous. I think .2 seconds of input lag would be noticeable to me.

I have occasional matches where I do have what you describe, and it's infuriating. I hit a button, and .2 seconds (or more) later, the action happens. The gameplay is *smooth*, not jittery, but everything is happening some time after my inputs. I have to play as if I'm in the future, my timings between attacks are the same, but I'm guessing as to what will happen.

For the mostpart this is absolutely not the case for me. I hit jab, pika's head is jabbed, like before I have time to register what just happened.

Last edited:

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
As of yesterday I have had 0 input lag in my matches. Everything responds the instant I touch the button as in offline mode. I haven't had a chance today but when I get back I'll see if it is Still the same
What is your internet speeds and are you using Wi-Fi or wired? We should try playing, my NNID is Sly-Choober

louie g

Smash Journeyman
I really do hate dealing with spammers though, I'm a guy that likes to power shield 24/7, especially with projectiles! But the button delay has turned me a deer in the headlights at best, literally, I just ate missles for thanksgiving a few minutes ago from some samus. I just can't seem to time it right, even if I do try to get used to the slight delay.

haxfactory

Always in the lab
NNID
thehaxfactory
3DS FC
1779-3108-5319
Switch FC
SW-1200-3583-4733
I'm having horrible lag myself. 90+ down 12 up 18 ping and my console is in DMZ. Yet every other game I play is like playing underwater. I have literally played games where it starts:

"3. 2...........ONNEEEEEE..............................GGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" *proceeds to move at about 25% speed for the duration of the game with some lag spikes completely pausing the game entirely*

Does anyone use the LAN adapter and did it help? Because there is literally nothing else I can do on my side.

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
I'm having horrible lag myself. 90+ down 12 up 18 ping and my console is in DMZ. Yet every other game I play is like playing underwater. I have literally played games where it starts:

"3. 2...........ONNEEEEEE..............................GGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" *proceeds to move at about 25% speed for the duration of the game with some lag spikes completely pausing the game entirely*

Does anyone use the LAN adapter and did it help? Because there is literally nothing else I can do on my side.
Been using it for two days so far and just a slight difference, could just be all in my mind though. People who already have good internet won't see much of a difference. There's people using WiFi who have weaker internet than yours and are reporting lag free games with no input delay, so I gave up on figuring this out

heliface

Smash Cadet
Out of curiosity, did you test those speedtest numbers on the wii u browser or on your pc?

Ravengeance

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ravengeance
Use http://testmy.net/ it's HTML5 and works fine on the Wii U browser.
i ran the speed test on the wii u. the up speed was about the same on my wired desktop as my wireless wii u. (800 to 900 kbps) but my down speed was about 8 instead of 16. why is my wireless down speed so much slower. i have time warner. it's not great but it's all i can get where i live. the router is an asus n56u and it's like a month or two old. no other device has any issue with the internet. the wii u is about 15 feet from the router with 1 wall in between. doesn't seem like i should have any issue. but smash online is so laggy i can't even enjoy playing it.

heliface

Smash Cadet
testmy.net has unusually low numbers imo

I ran tests on my wii u browser using two html5 websites, http://speedof.me/m and http://www.bandwidthplace.com/

Here are my results - they are...surprising.

All servers based in Los Angeles, except for bandwidthplace which is based in san jose ca.

SPEED OF ME(lite)

wii u(with lan adapter):
10.11 - 3.62 down
4.25 - 2.52 up
44 - 92 ms

wii u(with WiFi)
13.58 - 12.3 down
4.56 - 3.74 up
46 - 53 ms

computer(with lan adapter):
100.61 - 27.65 down
11.53 - 11.04 up
24 - 43 ms

computer(ethernet only, no lan adapter):
98.36 - 116.8 down
11.54 - 11.14 up
23 - 44 ms

computer(with WiFi)
78.33 - 102.39 down
11.43 - 11.52 up
21 - 25 ms

BANDWIDTH PLACE

wii u(with Lan adapter)
5.76 - 8 down
3.6 - 3.94 up
23 - 24 ms

wii u(on WiFi)
9.84 - 10.16 down
2.76 -3.19 up
14 ms

computer(with Lan adapter)
30.48 - 72.32 down
10.98 - 11.06 up
22 -24 ms

computer(ethernet only)
80.88 - 82.8 down
11.03 - 10.76 up
21 - 23 ms

computer(on Wifi)
15.28 down
11.06 up
14 ms

So in the speed tests the lan adapter makes things worse, ping-wise. However in games the lan adapter is a definite improvement. What gives?

Last edited:

Loken

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6858-0816-0777
The adapter makes your connection more stable than WiFi. It may be slower in terms of speed but not slow enough to make an impact on gaming. There is less ping fluctuation and interference.

The increased ping though? Can't say. It's probably down to having to use a USB adapter instead of a direct Ethernet connection.

Last edited:

SlyChoober

Smash Cadet
I ran a speedtest using bandwithplace and my results using the LAN adapter were, DL:17.68mbps U:5.7mbps Ping: 5ms

Top Bottom