• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Classic Controller Pro in Competitive Smash?

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
I just can't seem to find threads detailing the effectiveness of a Classic Controlller Pro in competitive smash, particularly SSBB. The reason I'm asking is that I will soon be purchasing a Wii U. Since it does not support Gamecube controllers the most viable option left for me looks to be the CCP. For those of you who use, or once used, the CCP, how good was it at a competitive level? Executing ATs, like DACUS? Also, do you guys know of any reputable smashers who use this controller? Feedback would be most appreciated. ^-^

Ghostbone

Smash Master
It's essentially just as good as the Gamecube controller in terms of playing the game. (there's no reason for any ATs to be harder)

It's just everyone prefers the gamecube controller because it's wired (logistically much better for tournaments) and was the only controller for Melee. (and Sakurai did design the game with the gamecube controller in mind, so there's that).

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
If you're used to the GC controller, though, you may have to use a custom button setup. The "Y" is where the "B" is supposed to be, the "B" is where the "A" is supposed to be, the "A" is where the "X" is supposed to be, the joystick is where the analog pad is supposed to be, and the "R/L" and "rZ/lZ" positions are swapped as well.

When I started rooming with a long-time friend of mine I thought I might actually be able to get competitive with this game (he has it and I do not...), but I later found out he only had the newish Wii with no GC ports. I had to create a new controller setup to get as close as possible and now can't go back to the GC controller because it's too different. Specifically, I find that the CCP's are usually tighter, the position of the analog stick prevents cramping in the left hand, and the R/L buttons don't have that sheath characteristic that the GC controllers have (meaning quicker shields and further reduced cramping). Not to mention the C-stick has a larger top and is easier to manage. I have also found that all AT's are just as easily performed (if not more easily, but it depends on the person).

So... I guess I would advocate use of the CCP.

TL/DR: CCP = tighter/improved in some subjective areas, though needs button setup change. AT's just as doable.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I'll admit it can also tend to complicate things in casual settings because of controller juggling, but that's not really an issue in 1v1 competitive play.

Not using a gamecube controller equals...gross.
To each his own, I suppose; though, as I think of all the CCP's and the GCC's I've ever used, the only ones I ever remember being "gross" were the GCC's. That's not to say everyone's using crusty old grandpa controllers, just a funny thought.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
Thanks for your responses, guys. So, it turns out the CCP would be a worthy substitute to the GCC, even more so if the controls are reconfigured. I did as you said, Naroghin, and the result was perfect. ^-^

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I'm glad I could be of help. The only issue I'm having at this point is going back to the GC controller if I find myself in an impromptu smash fest at a friend's house or something. Oh well, we make due with what we have!

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Ah, yes! Make sure the Wiimote you're plugged into has new batteries. Maybe even consider investing in chargeable batteries (I would anyway as I NEVER seem to have a fresh battery nearby when I need it.) I've never had any issues with wireless interference; what causes it and how can it be avoided?

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
Ah, yes! Make sure the Wiimote you're plugged into has new batteries. Maybe even consider investing in chargeable batteries (I would anyway as I NEVER seem to have a fresh battery nearby when I need it.) I've never had any issues with wireless interference; what causes it and how can it be avoided?
It's caused by other wireless devices, like cell phones. Nothing you can do about it really, but it'll only happen consistently at large events.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
Aw maaaaan. Oh well, I guess I'm glad none of the tourneys around here are that big (100-200ish). And that's only if I would ever work up the courage to enter one and see where I place...

TheGrunyan

Smash Cadet
Aw maaaaan. Oh well, I guess I'm glad none of the tourneys around here are that big (100-200ish). And that's only if I would ever work up the courage to enter one and see where I place...
Just go for it. It can be intimidating, but just go in with the goal of having fun and playing as many people as you can. I got last at my first tournament. It's a common occurrence.

Pikmin1211

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Pikmin1211
3DS FC
0044-3220-8865
The big drawvbacks are the X and Y being in different posisitions, the short cable and short battery life, and just how you need to have the fatass Wiimote sitting on your lap. But the CCP isn't horrible; it'll take some getting used to though, trust me.

Top Bottom