• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati Weeklies (Next: Friday Nov. 28)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If Michigan isn't there. Oh snap.

Seriously, though, I think this notion you're having of everyone somehow winning money is silly. It's mathematically impossible. You should be more grateful to those who still go to tournaments knowing they won't be in the finals. That's where your money comes from.
Er... I haven't been to a tournament that I haven't won money at in... well I don't remember actually. I don't think there's been one since Brawl was released.

It's not the notion of everyone winning money. It's the notion of everyone having a chance to win the money.

When I played ROB, I practiced, studied, and trained religiously to get better. I found the best ROB players and CREATED a community for us. I earned the money I have won with ROB.

With Metaknight, I just kinda picked him up and hit buttons.

What most of the people around here are doing is the extreme version of my ROB, except with less discipline. They pick lower characters and put a minimal amount of effort into the game and literally have no chance of winning money. The more people that are there, the less of a chance there is. You can either A) step your game up or B) pick a good character.

To use the Sirlin example...

If character potential is a mountain, you guys are picking itty bitty ones while I'm climbing up Mt. Everest. You might get to the top of yours faster and it might be easier to do so, but Mt. Everest is large and those climbing it will pass you up eventually.

It's not too hard to see the tall mountains. It's not hard to see that characters like Pokémon Trainer have a very short mountain while Snake, D3, and Metaknight are partying with Zeus.

Sliq

Smash Master
OS gets money from tournaments

Sliq loses with bowser

Play G&W and you'll **** everyone. Play Bowser and you'll win a few matches and get plenty of pats on the back for playing a low tier.

If people want to win, they can play a good character. If they want to just have fun, they can play whoever they want. Just not at my place, I want people to improve rather than get better at high tier character vs. Ness/Ike/Kirby/Sonic/etc. matchups.

OS, the amount of money you will win in tournament when compared to the amount of money you will make over your lifetime will be less than 1%, making it negligible.

Furthermore, I lost because of my own mistakes. I'm not the kind of guy to blame my losses on my character or my opponents character. If you want to, go ahead. You seem to be doing a pretty good job of it.

The way the sets work, I'll probably never lose to a D3 third round with Bowser, because I'll win the neutral. If I don't, then I was outplayed first match. Any other matchup is still winnable, at least right now. The game is still really young.

Plus I just learned like a bajillion new things with Bowser that I should've known in the first place, mostly regarding grab releases. If I practice the grab release CG, and know all of my options out of it (I didn't at all, and now I feel dumb), I'll easily tack on considerably more % off of every grab, not to mention the follow up after the CG.

Plus, GW's meta game is pretty stale at this point. It'll be easier to beat mediocre players, but good players will get past it. I'll still play him for D3 and Ice Climbers because they are lame, and maybe for other matchups should severe counters develope (...god**** Diddy Kong.....****ing bananas...). At this point I'm still experimenting.

Also, Bowser isn't low tier, he's middle. Like Melee Jigglypuff. If Bowser had rest I'd orgasm.

Regardless, the only thing I agree with is that learning low tier matchups is less pertinent than learning high tiers. Of course, playing someone's ****ty high tier won't do you much help either, and combos are "gone," so similar weights mean nothing.

I gotta get back to work -_-.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
The point of playing in tournaments is to win. Otherwise, we'd never pay to play this game and just go to smashfests.

You lost because of mistakes, yeah. Everyone does. No one loses because they didn't make a mistake. But the character you ahve chosen allows those bad situations to occur more often. I often would get beasted when I was ROB simply because my opponent got me in the air and once you're underneath ROB he's a goner. MK doesn't really have those issues, so I pick him.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Er... I haven't been to a tournament that I haven't won money at in... well I don't remember actually. I don't think there's been one since Brawl was released.
In Doubles, maybe. Singles you haven't won money when I was there since June. I know this because, you know, I was there.

I think this whole deal is kind of insulting and completely discounts the importance of actually enjoying the game. Plus it's not hard to question your motives when you're the one teaching while everyone else is the lowly pupil. Could be less a selfless act and more an ego boost, maybe?

The point of playing in tournaments is to win. Otherwise, we'd never pay to play this game and just go to smashfests.
The point of going to tournaments is to compete. That's what most people find enjoyable-- playing under pressure with people from other areas to see how you measure up. If the only reason to go to tournaments was to win money, then you'd be seeing turnouts cut by 90% because only top 3 pays out, and only top 2 actually profits.

None of us drove all the way to Baltimore for Pound 3 because we actually thought we were going to win, you know. Hell, you never won money in Melee, did you? In fact, I remember hearing you say that you never really "tried" in Melee like you do in Brawl, yet you still went to tournaments. Why was that?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
In Doubles, maybe. Singles you haven't won money when I was there since June. I know this because, you know, I was there.

I think this whole deal is kind of insulting and completely discounts the importance of actually enjoying the game. Plus it's not hard to question your motives when you're the one teaching while everyone else is the lowly pupil. Could be less a selfless act and more an ego boost, maybe?

The point of going to tournaments is to compete. That's what most people find enjoyable-- playing under pressure with people from other areas to see how you measure up. If the only reason to go to tournaments was to win money, then you'd be seeing turnouts cut by 90% because only top 3 pays out, and only top 2 actually profits.
If you're going to compete, compete. If you go to a tournament playing a low tier, you're not playing the same game.

Cincinnati sucks compared to what it could be. I play any of you in tournament and I'm not worried; the skill gap is not so large as to where this should be the case. You are all good enough to get there, but the character list for our region is thus:

OS- MK/ROB

Kel- every character under the sun
Sliq - Bowser
YBM - Kirby / Samus
Infern - Ike
Smash - Ness
Dr. X - Pit

I mean come on. You can play better characters and do much better. If you want to "prove something" you can try it, but if you want to have a chance to win you have to do it. You can't just say "shucks, I should play better next time" when you lost before you even paid the entry fee.

Fresh_Daddy_Normand

Smash Cadet
If you're going to compete, compete. If you go to a tournament playing a low tier, you're not playing the same game.

Cincinnati sucks compared to what it could be. I play any of you in tournament and I'm not worried; the skill gap is not so large as to where this should be the case. You are all good enough to get there, but the character list for our region is thus:

OS- MK/ROB

Kel- every character under the sun
Sliq - Bowser
YBM - Kirby / Samus
Infern - Ike
Smash - Ness
Dr. X - Pit

I mean come on. You can play better characters and do much better. If you want to "prove something" you can try it, but if you want to have a chance to win you have to do it. You can't just say "shucks, I should play better next time" when you lost before you even paid the entry fee.
Yo, no disrespect but I think that the game is more fun when you have a favorite character that you love to play with. If you dont like a character, but just use them because you can win with them then it isnt fun.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Pit and Kirby are high tier, but that's beside the point. Tier lists are prone to change. You don't know everything, nor does the SBR. We like playing the characters we play, and if they were so bad they were an automatic loss we probably wouldn't like it so much. Good thing they aren't that bad, whatever you might think.

Also, Vidjo beat you with a Middle Tier. Was he really that much better than you with Metaknight?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Pit and Kirby are high tier, but that's beside the point. Tier lists are prone to change. You don't know everything, nor does the SBR. We like playing the characters we play, and if they were so bad they were an automatic loss we probably wouldn't like it so much. Good thing they aren't that bad, whatever you might think.

Also, Vidjo beat you with a Middle Tier. Was he really that much better than you with Metaknight?

Two things:

1. He's Vidjo. He's about twice as good at adapting and reading a situation as I am. Do you really think you have the natural ability and the experience to play that well? Besides, he mains Metaknight.

2. He switched OFF of Fox, the character he used that tournament, and onto Peach, a counter to my main. When we got to the finals, I beat him with Marth (a counter to Peach, presumably, although I'm not entirely certain on it) and then he switched to Fox.

You play good characters. "Good" is determined by the matchup you are in first and foremost; ZSS owns Fox, but ZSS still isn't good. That doesn't mean if your Fox is beaten by a ZSS people could make fun of you.

I also told YBM that kirby would work, but there were better options and that Kirby would take a lot of work and creation on his part since the only Kirby player (Chu) to do anything worthwhile releases no videos. Pit isn't that great of a character and I'd say Kirby would be a better option than Pit, but Pit is manageable.

e__

Smash Ace
Despite the lolsmashboards drama I'm probably still going to go for this, because I want to get better.

I'll PM you my official response later tonight/tomorrow.

Sliq

Smash Master

You lost because of mistakes, yeah. Everyone does. No one loses because they didn't make a mistake. But the character you ahve chosen allows those bad situations to occur more often. I often would get beasted when I was ROB simply because my opponent got me in the air and once you're underneath ROB he's a goner. MK doesn't really have those issues, so I pick him.
I made two relatively large mistakes as opposed to small ones. I got 3rd in Canada playing like I ought to. I should've gotten second, but I didn't because I'm ******** and didn't punish the whorenado. I know better now. I also know better than to pick JUNGLE ****ING JAPES anymore. The only person I definitely lost to was Ally. That guy was awesome.

Also, the mistakes I made had nothing to do with character choices, as given similar circumstances, multiple characters would've ultimately succumbed to similar fates.

If I hadn't chosen Jungle Japes, I'm certain I would've beaten Smash64, then SFG. Then with Kel it would've went either way, and the I don't know who SFG played after Kel, but I could've beaten them as well.

I was confident that I could beat everyone at that tournament, but didn't get a chance because I'm a *******.

Regardless, I've played like 0 since I came up here, playing only in the Canada tournament. I'm 100% certain at this point that I have put in considerably less time into the game than you. I hadn't really invested that much time into Bowser. I'm going to start playing more and getting more experience, but there isn't much else I can do.

AllyKnight

Banned via Administration
I made two relatively large mistakes as opposed to small ones. I got 3rd in Canada playing like I ought to. I should've gotten second, but I didn't because I'm ******** and didn't punish the whorenado. I know better now. I also know better than to pick JUNGLE ****ING JAPES anymore. The only person I definitely lost to was Ally. That guy was awesome.

Also, the mistakes I made had nothing to do with character choices, as given similar circumstances, multiple characters would've ultimately succumbed to similar fates.

If I hadn't chosen Jungle Japes, I'm certain I would've beaten Smash64, then SFG. Then with Kel it would've went either way, and the I don't know who SFG played after Kel, but I could've beaten them as well.

I was confident that I could beat everyone at that tournament, but didn't get a chance because I'm a *******.

Regardless, I've played like 0 since I came up here, playing only in the Canada tournament. I'm 100% certain at this point that I have put in considerably less time into the game than you. I hadn't really invested that much time into Bowser. I'm going to start playing more and getting more experience, but there isn't much else I can do.
Then come to OIN2.5, should be announced soon (Same spot than OIN2) =)

The Whiscash

Smash Rookie
Expect to be playing primarily high tiers at this, and emphasis is on winning and winning well. If you're playing captain falcon, you are wasting people's time and I'll have you leave. I'm serious about that too; I don't want you wasting anyone's time.
high tiers
LOL BRAWL TIERS.

Seriously, what the christ. There's no reason to play brawl if it's not for fun. I think you are a dumb faec.

Oh right I forgot.
TOURNEYCIGARETTES.

clowsui

Smash Legend
whiscash

ground/water type

60 base speed? bad movepool? quagsire and swampert?

no wonder you're complaining about the existence of tiers lol, you exist in the NU scene and the NU scene only since i don't even have to scarf anyone to outspeed you.

go back to gamefacks lol. fun is a relative term anyways, stop imposing your idea of fun on others.

QUIVO

Smash Master
With Metaknight, I just kinda picked him up and hit buttons.
I remember you saying you STUDIED everything about MK... lol. That was part of your argument in why you couldn't beat the character.

I concur. The point is to win, but when you're new or not good at the game.. the point is to get better. Sometimes I don't think people even think it's possible to win any tournaments or even place well, they just play for fun. That's what it should be about.

Also playing only high tiers and up is dumb as hell.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I can prob not XD
How much do plane tickets cost from there to areas around here? I make like $200 every week or two there is a tournament, so I might be able to help you out with plane ticket costs if you wanted to fly.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Ummm...I Wanted to become a beast with Samus...Kirby is my dude...I feel comfortable playing with him. He's gone be my main character regardless but I'm also gone get good with a top tier Character so Our team will be the ones facing one another in the finals...Ya'll convos were getting pretty heated thus very entertaining, I hope everyone make it to OS Crib Tuesday...It's going down...Hard!!! hehe

QUIVO

Smash Master
YbM, go to Dr X's friday for a bit. I didn't get to finish playing you. Your Link was doing really well against me!!!

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
YbM, go to Dr X's friday for a bit. I didn't get to finish playing you. Your Link was doing really well against me!!!
Alright...I will more than likely come up there on Friday...I don't think I have anything planned for that day...

Sliq

Smash Master
Then come to OIN2.5, should be announced soon (Same spot than OIN2) =)
WTF out of no where. Ally slides in from the darkness with a one liner and disapears to whence he came.

At least I'm not the only person that forum searches his own name. <_<

Overswarm

is laughing at you
WTF out of no where. Ally slides in from the darkness with a one liner and disapears to whence he came.

At least I'm not the only person that forum searches his own name. <_<
I do the same thing. It's funny when you're just like "mew2king" and then they come to some random thread like cincinnati weeklies.

Isn't that right, Mew2king?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hey by the way, some of the Dayton people may be coming to your smashfest this week. (Namely, Istascribble and his brother. Of course, that name probably means absolutely nothing to you right now >.>) Just a heads up.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Today or Friday?

Dr.X, do you want me to bring a setup to this? Looks like you might have a crowd.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Yes, please. Everyone should always bring setups if they can. Worst case scenario is we don't use them.

Well, that and if you walk from Kel's house to mine by yourself like OS does you might get mugged for it, but a fairly easy solution could be to just not do that.

I may or may not be at the seriousbusinessfest tonight, if only to try my hand against the God Kais with Overswarm strats. I'm at work for a while and I may opt to get some **** done when I get home instead, though...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Yes, please. Everyone should always bring setups if they can. Worst case scenario is we don't use them.

Well, that and if you walk from Kel's house to mine by yourself like OS does you might get mugged for it, but a fairly easy solution could be to just not do that.

I may or may not be at the seriousbusinessfest tonight, if only to try my hand against the God Kais with Overswarm strats. I'm at work for a while and I may opt to get some **** done when I get home instead, though...
If I can find parking on your street, TV will be nooo problemo

Also, you should come to the serious business fest. People are staying the night and there is bound to be snuggling.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Friday. I'll have to talk to them again because they seemed kind of vague, but yeah. They should be able to bring a Wii + controllers if needed.

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
yea im fromundaman's friend and tho one who played with him in the loads of vids he uploaded to his youtube channel lol and i am interested in coming down to cinci this friday its not too far for me, but i do need to know what time because i havt to work at 5:00pm so i need to leave by like 3:30 to make it in time. also i need an adress of where to go and such. thanks

Overswarm

is laughing at you
This is stillllllll on!

Phone is 859-322-2713. I am apartment Norse 1320 on campus.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
YAY!!!... Smashfest on Friday...It's going to be exciting...I got a New character I wanna(in the Realm) try out on you all(in the realm) ...hehe Make sure you all tune in...RaRaRaRaRa

FB Dj_Iskascribble

Frostbitten
if someone could PM me with all the details: time, place, and what to bring that would be awesome in case I miss something
i have a wii and four gc controllers if we need it

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If anyone wants to play at my apartment today, give me a call. 859-322-2713. I'll be here purty much alllllll day and am willing to play smash

Kel

Smash Master
I may want to play later, but I don't get out of work until 9 or something.

I can't search my name because I always just get "liKELy" or something lame :(

Top Bottom