• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Cincinnati Smash Forever - 1/24/15 - Smash 4 WiiU, Melee, and PM

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
csfbanner.jpg

Cincinnati Smash Forever Results Thread
January 24, 2015
Cincinnati, Ohio

Tournament Thread
Facebook Event
Tourney Locator

Smash 4 Archive
Melee Videos
PM Videos

Tournament was awesome. Thank you so much to everyone that came out, it was great to see all my hard work be appreciated by so many people showing up and playing. Just a year ago I started hosting the CSR biweekly events and got around 10-20 people for events for a couple months, slowly picking up people each tournament 20-25-30-40. I never thought it would get this big and I'm grateful to be such a big part of the tri-state scene in smash. Ran out of the 140 nametags we were giving out, can't believe we had over 140 people at the event. Also want to thank my Co-TOs Dr. X and Daycia for helping me out and running a great tournament. Staye tuned for a new tournament series soon!

Cincinnati Smash Forever - Smash 4 WiiU Singles Finals
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Judo
$240.00
2nd
Mister Eric
$96.00
3rd
JT5565
$67.20
4th
Kel
$43.20
5th
Fumbles
$16.80
5th
DLG Absol
$16.80
7th
Amida
7th
Cinatas
9th
Suyon
9th
Sai
9th
Katakiri
9th
Rell
13th
Single Shot
13th
Delta Fist
13th
Crash
13th
Lumi
17th
Renko
17th
Mr. L
17th
Son-in-Law
17th
DTJ Hilt
17th
GX
17th
Shadow of the Past
17th
Casiopea
17th
Day~!
25th
Lumpy Gravy
25th
Kiri
25th
Capsurd
25th
Enemy
25th
Silver
25th
25th
DLG Kobanwa
25th
Soulpech
33rd
Shredder N64
33rd
Ringing
33rd
HalfJack
33rd
JD Brawls
33rd
Draco
33rd
Brane
33rd
Tendo
33rd
NoGoodCitizen
33rd
Aufwiedehersehen
33rd
Rizner
33rd
Rowan
33rd
Sebastian
33rd
Skiboots
33rd
AlfaStryke
33rd
Papa
33rd
Erik

~drowned in pools~
49: Kiitos :4rob: :4pikachu:
49: TED
49: DLG Crush
49: Swerthy
49: Dirty Target
49: Trash Compactor
49: Jray
49: Azekaha
49: John
49: GAP
49: DLG Nade
49: Nacho
49: Paris
49: YNot
49: CZBB
49: AIMHA
65: Heat
65: Shade
65: Snax?
65: Wolf Spectre
65: ALX
65: Nate
65: Fryman
65: Citrus Rain :4yoshi: :rosalina:
65: Alexis
65: Sam
65: AndrewA
65: Arkayne :4greninja:
65: Wes
65: Nick the Sick
65: Kenny
65: Gamer Man
81: Solid FKB
81: Ear
81: Loin
81: The Postal Tilt
81: Stellar
81: ChinGA
81: Brainscratch
Cincinnati Smash Forever - Melee Singles Finals
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Drephen
$192.00
2nd
Salt
$96.00
3rd
Amida
$32.00
4th
Broverdose
5th
2Tone
5th
Ragu
7th
Fumbles
7th
Dr. X
9th
Kel
9th
Team Nick
9th
Mudkyp
9th
Soulpech
13th
Papa
13th
SneakyTako
13th
Casiopea
13th
Chi
17th
Village Mascot
17th
Snap
17th
SweetyT
17th
Master WGS
17th
Dr. GreenThumb
17th
HalfJack
17th
Lumi
17th
KellyK
25th
JKing
25th
Toast
25th
Mr. Ravine
25th
Pas
25th
Kaiser
25th
Dunx
25th
Silver
25th
Amazerommu

Cincinnati Smash Forever - PM Singles Finals
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Papa
$192.00
2nd
Fumbles
$96.00
3rd
Village Mascot
$32.00
4th
Drephen
5th
Soulpech
5th
Dr. X
7th
Juushichi
7th
Master WGS
9th
JT5565
9th
SneakyTako
9th
Broverdose
9th
Snap
13th
TED
13th
HalfJack
13th
Live
13th
KellyK
17th
Amazerommu
17th
Salt
17th
Mr. Ravine
17th
2Tone
17th
Mudkyp
17th
Ragu
17th
Mister Eric
17th
Hoff
25th
Russy
25th
Team Nick
25th
Kaiser
25th
SweetyT
25th
Kellam
25th
Rizner
25th
Schmitty
25th
JD Brawls

All Bracket Images

Interested in more smash in the area? Join the Facebook groups below for up to date information on tournaments in the surrounding area.

Cincinnati - https://www.facebook.com/groups/cincysmash/
Columbus - https://www.facebook.com/groups/columbuspmbrawl
Dayton - https://www.facebook.com/groups/SmashBrosDayton
Tristate - https://www.facebook.com/groups/KyInOhSmash

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
I played Diddy Kong and Shulk. Enemy played Robin and Villager. Kiitos played Rob and Pikachu.

Got ****ed over by a ****ty bracket but whatever, I'll do better next tournament I go to. Not settling for less than top 8 from now on. Tournament was a lot bigger than I was expecting.

Shoutouts to all the people I played, I'll do specific shoutouts in a bit.

Last edited:

Shin Chie

Smash Apprentice
I did really bad but it was my first tournament lol. Next time I'll try to better. Also this was an awesome tournament.

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
I played Little Mac the entire tournament. Sebastian played Shiek.
Very fun tournament! I'm honestly shocked at how well I did. I feel I might have got further if I had a secondary prepared in advance, but I'll be ready for next time! 17th out of 87 isn't something I'm ashamed of!

I'll post shout outs soonish

Absol

Sucker Punch
NNID
xenxio
2: Mister Eric :4rob: Ralph got you a lot of sheik experience, good games man. We'll tear up dubs for sure
3: JT5565 :4sonic: Sorry about mixing you up for someone else. You got yourself a nice speedy blue pinball
4: Kel :4megaman: Good games except for the audio on the first one. The advice you gave me in Louisville was not to get reckless or desperate in signs of struggle. There's times where I find myself trying too hard and just get my face scraped on the ground for it. Hit me up when you decide to have that smash fest
5: Fumbles :rosalina: You still main Luma
5: DLG Absol :4sheik: Stop talking to yourself
7: Amida :4ness: Thanks for the Ness advice you gave me at CSR
7: Cinatas :4link: Wait link made top 8?
9: Sai :4ness: Cue Skate 3 animation
9: Rell :4falcon: Nice seeing you again even though we didnt hang out much, Glad to see your falcon improving
9: Katakiri :4metaknight: You and Eric had the closest games I saw all day. Your Metaknight is no slouch. Maybe one day I'll stop falling for fsmash lol

13: Single Shot Nice talking to you. You should keep going to these tournaments.

17: Son-in-Law It was nice seeing you and hilt again. You guys are pretty chill. I didnt see many of your matches though. Heard you run a nasty little mac.
17: DTJ Hilt :4villager: Creepy Axe Girlfriend.
17: Day~! :4ness: *removes*
17: GX Jesus Rod, never knew you ran an army of characters. Glad you could come, hope your body starts feeling better soon.
17: Shadow of the Past The Fairs.....oh my god. Your foot was in my mouth throughout the whole set. Good games though, sorry I couldnt money match. I'm sure I'll be seeing you again soon enough, so we'll have one for sure.
25: Capsurd This whole tournament had a Ness parade I swear. Solid ness through man. You really should be using the PK fire more though. I hope to see you in more tournaments.
25: DLG Kobanwa You did pretty well with Luigi. I think you were the only Luigi to make it out of pools actually.
25: Soulpech 1st seed, doesnt play the game. Get out of here.

1: Judo :4sheik: It nice nice to finally meet you for once, let alone play you in the bracket. Despite the SD our matches were really heated. I'm really happy that all this effort since brawl has paid off, and that it wasnt for naught. We play so alike that its almost scary. I'm still somewhat new blood though so I can only get better from here. I really hope to play you in person again sometime, and not once every 3 years.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
Pools and Bracket were pretty horribly seeded and I felt really bad for the people that had to face me in losers as early as Round 2, you definitely should have made it further than you did.
I'm happy that Mister Eric was the one that took me out tho (in a really hype match btw); if I would have lost to JT 3 times and no one else because of bad seeding, my sodium levels would have been unhealthy!

But still, shoutouts to the top 7 of Smash 4. You all really deserve it! Wish I could have played more of you but oh well.

81 entrants tho?! It's always fun to hang out with you all, make new friends, and complain about dumb Smash things.

I'm entering the next tourney as "9th Place."

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
I used Wario in Smash 4

Shoutouts tho: Thanks to PiBs, Dr. X, and everyone else that put on this event. It was a lot of fun, and the venue was dope.

Melee:
  • Shoutouts to everyone I wobbled in Melee; thanks for being good sports about it.
  • Kelly K: We had 2 great sets in melee pools. It was a lot of fun playing you
  • WGS: Had fun playing you in the first round of a bracket for like the 3rd time lol. Getting that win was pretty validating considering I don't think I'd ever beaten you in Melee in a competitive setting before. I feel like I'm on my way to not completely sucking at this game.
  • Snap: Loved our Ice Climber dittos in bracket
PM:
  • Shoutouts to all my Columbus homies and everyone else who cheered me on as I got my first ever tournament win. That was a surreal experience.
  • Shoutouts to all the people I played friendlies with throughout the day. I don't remember most of your names/tags, but it was nice meeting you all.
  • Cincy players: For a moment it looked like a Cincinnati player might finally win a Cincinnati PM tournament with strong showings from Mascot and Fumbles taking out Soulpech and Drephen. Luckily I was able to maintain order and continue Columbus' reign of terror over Ohio PM.
  • Schmitty: I really liked your Samus, and we played a pretty good set in pools. Your missile game is on point.
  • Ted: I watched your set with 2-tone before we played and was scared. That falcon was pretty legit, and our match was intense. You're a cool dude.
  • Drephen: You're one of my favorite people in the Ohio scene, and I was glad I got to face off with you in bracket. Sorry for popping off, but that win was such a huge moment for me. I remember 6-7 months ago getting four-stocked consistently by you at Donatos fight nights, so to have come this far felt absolutely incredible. Go bucks
  • Village Mascot: Our set was so tense. Link v Ivy is such a bizzare matchup, and I was honestly relieved I didn't have to play you again in grands. You're a very scary player and cool guy; keep working on that Link.
  • Fumbles: Every time I see you play you've added a handful of cool new tricks to your repertoire. I feel slightly bad whenever we have to play just because Ivy-Ice Climbers is such an unfairly good matchup for Ivy, but you're getting better at dealing with it. I think Metaknight might be the right pick for the machup from now on.
  • WGS: Thanks for recording everything. I can't wait to watch my matches.
Smash 4:
  • Cinatas: I was the Wario you played against in pools. I'm pretty new/bad at Smash 4, but seeing that you got top 8 was a big confidence boost for me knowing that I was able to take you to game 3. That was a very fun set.

Last edited:

CitrusRain

Smash Apprentice
That bit of Kentucky that has fried chicken.
NNID
CitrusRain
3DS FC
2079-7126-2128
I just want to give a thanks to anyone who gave my sister Alexis advice during pools.

Good job GX - I beat him in pools as my first match up, but I guess that didn't keep him down.

I watched Ted's Melee match (Falcon v. Jigglypuff), and hope to get to play against him since I actually met him a month ago rather than at the tournament. But not in Melee. That would be suicide.

I hope to rematch those who I lost against next time. :grin:

ScamminSalmon

Smash Rookie
NNID
MorgothBauglir89
Sebastian here. Just wanted to say I had a blast at the tournament. It's always good seeing friends and meeting awesome people. This being my second tournament, I'm just happy I got out of pools. Hopefully I'll do a little better at the next one hahah.

Shoutout to Judo for being the reason I overslept for work today. But really, good **** dude. I've only seen you play one other time competitively and I didn't know enough about Smash to understand what you were doing. Watching you play was definitely my favorite part of the tournament.

Shoutout to Absol for playing an amazing ****ing Sheik. Between you and Judo, I was trying to take as many mental notes as possible. I hope I can play close to your guys' level some day.

Shoutout to Gx for being a damn trooper. Having surgery Friday then still taking us to Cinci was awesome of you. Can't wait to play you in more friendlies soon.

Shoutout to Crash and Hilt for being big influences in getting me to play competitively. I'ma **** both of you up one day. I ain't scared of no bowling balls.

Shoutout to Brian and Tom. It's always awesome seeing you guys. My heart flutters every time. Hopefully next time we can play a few matches.

Shoutout to Son-in-law for 17th. We both just started playing and you're tearing **** up. Thanks for the quick practice in the middle of the floor there hahah.

Shoutout to Single Shot. It was fun playing you in pools man. You destroyed me hahah. It's awesome to see you got as far as you did. Hopefully we'll play again in the future and I won't be so sucky.

Shoutout to Rell. Unfortunately I got ****ed up by you my first match ever in a bracket hahah. I could just see the skill difference in everything you did. Good job on 9th man.

Shoutout to Soulpech. Fun playing you in pools man. I don't think I'll be lucky with those grenades next time. Good matches.

I can't wait for the next tournament. Hopefully I just keep getting better and better hahah.

NoGoodCitizen

Smash Rookie
NNID
datbrz
Pools and Bracket were pretty horribly seeded and I felt really bad for the people that had to face me in losers as early as Round 2, you definitely should have made it further than you did.
I'm happy that Mister Eric was the one that took me out tho (in a really hype match btw); if I would have lost to JT 3 times and no one else because of bad seeding, my sodium levels would have been unhealthy!

But still, shoutouts to the top 7 of Smash 4. You all really deserve it! Wish I could have played more of you but oh well.

81 entrants tho?! It's always fun to hang out with you all, make new friends, and complain about dumb Smash things.

I'm entering the next tourney as "9th Place."

I was not particularly thrilled with how pools and bracket were handled as well. Had a good time, but not getting to play for a whole 5 hours was kind of the anti-hype. With a tourney that big, though, it's to be expected that issues will arise. Glad I got to play against Kel, was like old times in the DDR days (and he kicked my ass then, too). All in all, not too shabby. I'll take 33rd seeing as I'm a relatively new competitive smash player.

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
This was my first real smash tournament, and I did far better than I expected to. I enjoyed being able to play customs and play against other custom sets, this could be a great opportunity for the metagame and community to develop.

I had a great time, met some awesome people, played some really good smash players, and learned a lot. Like NoGoodCitizen, waiting 5 hours to play pool was a bit of a buzz kill, but I guess that's just something to deal with at these events. In the future I'll try to compete in Melee and PM, but I've got quite a bit of work to do.

I look forward to the next time I get to visit Arcade Legacy and play Smash in Cincy.

BTW, for those that have trouble pronouncing my gamer tag, just watch the movies "Inglourious Basterds" and "Django Unchained" (and they're amazing movies on their own as well).

Edit* can't forget shoutouts:

PiBs, Dr. X, Day and anyone else involved with running the show. I appreciate and respect the time, effort, and logistics it takes to run an event like this.

Everyone in Pool 12 for being patient until Wave 3 started, then getting together right away to start matches.
- Arkayne: Nice Lucario you got there, that was a close one! Also, awesome drawing skills, love the Mega Man print!
- Nacho: Good games dude, keep working on ROB and Jigglypuff.
- The Postal Tilt: Good games, keep practicing and you'll get those wins soon enough.

Everyone I played against, but especially the people who defeated me (Rizner, Lumi, Casiopea, and GX) since they showed me some things to improve on.
- Rizner: I just could not get past your Kirby, wow! Now I know I have to rethink my strategy against light, short, floaty characters.
- Lumi: Good games and good talking! Although you swept our match, it did get pretty close in game 2 :) Also, thanks for helping me find my next opponent!
- Casiopea: Very interesting discussion on the competitiveness of Smash 4 vs Melee and PM. Also, good Yoshi! I always need more practice in that matchup, possibly one of my worst right now.
- GX: Awesome WFT setup you got there, thanks for showing me! I'm still amazed you competed and did so well right after surgery, WTF :)

Last edited:

Sir Brane Damuj

Smash Rookie
NNID
sirbranedamuj
Brane here. Shoutouts to my fellow pool mates for putting up with that spelling mixup! Maybe I'll just go by "Brian" from now on.

And shoutouts to backslash for taking 4 of my 12 bracket stocks. I got super tired and kept flubbing my air slashes :-(

LCC Son-in-Law

Dork-in-Law
NNID
I'll add you
3DS FC
0989-1853-2327
Shoutout to all of my KY/OH/IN friends, because I would generally be saying the same thing for all of you all. Thank you for the encouragement, advice, moral support, and just making me really feel welcome in our smash community in general. You all have no idea how much I appreciate it.

Shoutout to my friends who watched me over the stream: Thanks for being there with me for this :)

Individual Shoutout's

2: Mister Eric: Always happy to see you Mister Eric! I'm so glad that you and Power Hungry Fool gave me a lot of Rob practice before this! I knew what to watch out for when fighting my first match of bracket thanks to yall. I'm gonna take you up on practicing again sometime! I'm really impressed that you made 2nd place btw! Good Stuff!

5: DLG Absol: Awesome to see you again, though I didn't get to talk to you much. Hopefully next time we can play a few matches or something!

7: Amida: Somehow, it didn't register in my head that you entered Smash 4 .-. None-the-less, good job on 7th!!!

9: Sai: Dude. I'm glad I got to talk to you more this tournament, I had never really spoken to you much ever. Thank you for the moral support during the whole tournament, I really appreciated it! I was glad to fight you in pools first. It got me prepared for my other pools matches, and our matches were really fun! I was a little bummed that I had to face you again in bracket, but I was also glad that I was knocked out of losers by someone I knew. You should add my Nintendo ID sometime if you'd ever like to practice!

13: Crash: Good Stuff getting to 13th!! I want to thank you for the moral support and advice, as well as being our ride to the tournament! I'll try to learn and apply what you talked to me about as much as possible, though I still may need you to show me some stuff sometime.

17: DTJ Hilt: Thank you for commentating my stream and giving me advice Hilt. I really appreciated the support you've given me since smash 4 started, and everything you've taught me in general. I'm glad to finally be a part of the smash community with you and actually performing well.

17: GX: That Wii Fit! So Scary!!!!! Glad you could make it despite having surgery on Friday, though I hope you didn't overdo it. Good job on 17th!

17: Shadow of the Past: You play a scary Diddy... I'll be more prepared next time! Enjoyed our match though :)

25: Capsurd: You gave me a scare man, twice!!! First you played ness who, next to diddy, is my most feared matchup. I was honestly shocked I beat you match one. But then you decided to play Mac dittos... I HATE Mac Dittos! It's the most annoying thing to have to do ever! I've played enough mac dittos to be used to it, but I honestly wasn't sure if I could win or not. Good Games man! The match was so close!

33: Ringing: Your Dedede is really good! I hope to practice against you again sometime, good stuff and good games!

33: Shredder N64: I was rather scared when I saw you were a Rob main. I thought you were going to camp me to death. You played a good rob though! Good games man!

33: Sebastian: SCAMMMIN SALMON! You're improving fast man. Your shiek is really coming along. I saw a few of your matches, and they were awesome! You reached your goal of getting out of pools this time. It won't be long before you start climbing the bracket. I'm scared of the day I have to face you mid tournament.
I really appreciated you practicing on our *ahem* setup before pools, as awkward as it was to see the screen, and our laid back matches before tournament. I feel I would have done much worse if not for our warm up matches.

Last edited:

half_silver28

Smash Ace
really fun tournament, I wish we had bigger things like this in town more often. I still can't believe that the game I don't really play was the one I did the best in. Though I was not a fan of the way Melee and PM pools were run - I wanted to have a shot again everyone in my pool and not just get thrown up against Drephen repeatedly. My PM pool was especially tough too. Also mystery game was a waste of 2 dollars - I think things like that are better left to events that don't have 3 different tournaments to run in addition to it.

For character listings, I used Lucina and Zelda in Smash 4 and Sheik in Melee. Also Lumi went Fox against me in Melee bracket, and GX used Ness in Smash 4. And TED used Falcon in PM.

2: Mister Eric :4rob: $217 - nice job taking second, your ROB is scary stuff
5: Fumbles :rosalina: $35 - didn't really get to talk to you yesterday, but nice job getting 2nd in PM, and doing really well in Smash 4 and Melee too. Hope you can make it out on Thursday nights again
17: Day~! :4ness: - You should drop Ness and main that megaphone, you'd win every tournament. But in all seriousness nice job TOing

17: GX - great matches in pools and bracket
33: AlfaStryke - Yoshi da bess. Nice matches in PM and Smash 4 - ya should probably be more aggressive against Zelda though, she has a hard time reacting to pressure
33: Rizner :4kirby: - waterfall too OP. Nonetheless fun matches in Smash 4 (but you should have stuck to Zelda in PM :< )

49: Azekaha - nice matches in pools
65: Citrus Rain :4yoshi::rosalina:- sucks that you didn't make it out of pools. Really hype matches in Smash 4, I got pretty lucky to pull it out with Zelda

1: Drephen :sheikmelee: $275 - I am going to learn how to chaingrab and do it to you next time, and SEE HOW YOU LIKE IT : | . Well, at least we had a pretty good match in PM, Sheik is definitely one of my problem MUs though
2: Salt :marthmelee::peachmelee: $152 - I don't know how I expected that to go, but I guess I just don't know how to handle aggro Peaches. Great job taking 2nd
5: Ragu :sheikmelee: $15 - we need to do more Zelda mirrors
7: Dr. X :foxmelee: - great job TOing and playing, sorry if I seemed a bit anxious to get things going early on
9: Team Nick :jigglypuffmelee: - I always seem to have a hard time against your Puff in particular, even I avoid all the Rest setups. I really enjoyed our doubles matches
9: Soulpech :jigglypuffmelee: - I don't know if you were pulling your Rests or not in our friendlies, but either way there's no need to do so. I've been Rested so much that I'm immune to the psychological pain Rest normally brings. Nice matches regardless
9: Mudkyp :peachmelee: - really hype doubles matches, and nice playing in bracket too
13: SneakyTako :marthmelee: - fraud. Nice playing in PM though, I need to play you more
17: Lumi :sheikmelee: - nice matches in bracket, you were doing a lot of Fox things I wasn't expecting. You need to come around on Thursdays more
25: Mr. Ravine :sheikmelee: - I feel like I haven't seen you in a while. We need to get some more friendlies in sometime

25: Silver - scrub.

3: Village Mascot :link2: $85 - great job taking 3rd in PM. I need to figure out how to play against you at some point.
9: Snap :gw: - really enjoyed our friendlies. Bucket and credit card are the worst though : p

13: Ted - sorry about the salt. PM Falcon is just one of those MUs I really, really hate with my super floatweight character. Nice matches regardless, I just need to stop being bad.
17: Hoff :snake: - Snake's a cool guy. I wish I could've gotten in play you seeing as you were in my pool. . . but minibracket would not allow it. Great playing man.

The Hoff

Smash Rookie
17: Hoff :snake: - Snake's a cool guy. I wish I could've gotten in play you seeing as you were in my pool. . . but minibracket would not allow it. Great playing man.
Thanks! Yeah I outplaced anything I ever thought possible at a big tournament like this seeing as it was my 2nd tournament ever.

I bet you'd have been awesome to play in PM though you sound awesome, who did you play again? I can't put a face or character to your tag... sorry.

Shoutout to AlfaStryk though who played awesome and probably shoulda beat me with his stylin yoshi but lost to my gimmicks (sorry), and a question as to where you are from, Alfa?

Edit:
Damn you sneakytaco, your meta knight did make me feel like trash. No johns but I do think its a bad matchup on top of you being an amazing player. Great games though and I'm so happy we had them.

And Papa, thanks for the friendlies and its awesome to see you won the tournament! I still feel the burn after you wrecked me with Olimar in the friendlies haha. Great job though.

Last edited:

it's Papa

Smash Apprentice
And Papa, thanks for the friendlies and its awesome to see you won the tournament! I still feel the burn after you wrecked me with Olimar in the friendlies haha. Great job though.
Thanks, man! We had some good games. Congrats on 17th at your 2nd ever tournament; shoot for top 10 next time! Not even a year ago I went 0-2 at my first tournament and then didn't make it out of pools at my second. Just get involved and keep practicing and the wins will come.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Smash 4 WiiU Singles

2: Mister Eric :4rob: - Great to see you like always, sorry we didn't get to talk more or even play lol. Not gunna lie, did not think you would be getting into grand finals at this stacked ass tournament. You become a completely different beast when it comes to crunch time, it always surprises me. Hope to see you at the Columbus tourney.
3: JT5565 :4sonic: Man why'd you have to knock Katakiri into losers :( lol
5: DLG Absol :4sheik: - Good to see you, and great games. I honestly wish I lived in Columbus (you live in Columbus still right? lol) so we could practice all the time. Our games were so much fun, I love having sets so tight like that. I'm gunna train my Diddy like mad these next few weeks, so be prepared next time we play ;)
7: Amida :4ness: - Sad we didn't get to play, always nice to see you at events lol.
9: Rell :4falcon: - Your Falcon is something else. You play so safe, you never commit, and you always get the punishes you can get. It was so frustrating playing against you, but I couldn't help but admire your playstyle lol.
9: Katakiri :4metaknight: - I had a feeling I'd wind up playing against you this tournament, but I didn't think it'd be losers round 2 lol. Maybe next time I'll learn how to get out of MK's autocombos. Good games nonetheless.
13: Delta Fist :4robinf: - We played friendlies a bit before pools started, you surprised me with your Robin due to how well you were able to punish everything. Would've liked to play more against you.
17: Son-in-Law :4wiremac: - Good games in bracket. That second game was a little silly lol. I personally feel like Halberd helps Diddy more than Little Mac, due to the low ceiling and being able to get kills off u-air juggles at like 50 lol.
17: DTJ Hilt :4villager: - Good games in our money match. Your playstyle and my roommates are shockingly similar, it's really freaky lol. Probably the only thing that sets you apart is your use of dsmash, uthrow and custom Lloyd. Hope to play you again sometime and give you more Diddy practice :p
17: Shadow of the Past :4diddy: :4shulk: - rip shulk
25: Enemy:4robinm: :4villager: - Good job roomie :D
25: Soulpech :4jigglypuff: - When I lost to Katakiri in round 2 of losers I was really afraid I was going to be outplaced by you lmao.
33: Rowan :4pacman: - Good games in pools and in friendlies. Awesome seeing a Pac-Man main. Your playstyle is so much different from mine with Pac-Man; I play super duper campy Pac-Man, and it doesn't work at all lmao. Hope to see you again sometime.
49: Kiitos :4rob: :4pikachu: - You could've made it to bracket if you didn't have a stacked ass pool lol
49: DLG Crush - I think we played friendlies a bit. Didn't get to see your custom Wii Fit lol.
49: Swerthy :4tlink: - Good games in pools. I overheard you talking with your friends (at least I think it was you lol) about how it's good to come to tournaments to play against new people and learn new stuff, and it was really awesome hearing other players having such a positive mindset. Hope to see you at a tournament again sometime.
65: Snax? :4ness:- GJ not getting last scrub :p
65: Wolf Spectre :4dedede:- Good games in pools. I could tell you were overwhelmed with how to deal with Shulk's pressure. If you don't have a fast enough option, your next-best option is to jump out of shield and hit me with an aerial. Shulk doesn't have terribly fast air options, so if you hit me as I'm starting my jump, I won't have any hitboxes out. Hope to see you come out again.
81: Ear :4gaw:- Sorry you were in my pool lol. Thanks again for the housing, I really appreciate it.
81: Solid FKB :4link:- omg dude nice job getting first :D

I was playing way more Shulk than Diddy coming into this and could tell my Shulk was worse than my Diddy, but still wanted to try and make it work. Probably going to be practicing exclusively Diddy for the next tournament I go to.

Didn't really talk to a lot of new people considering how many were there; probably would've been easier if there were extra setups for friendlies lol. Awesome seeing such a big Smash 4 turnout with some interesting character variety.

Last edited:

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Tako - yeah you did knock me out in our pools bracket, but was still 4th in the pool.

Hoff - I didn't know this was your 2nd tournament ever, that's pretty awesome you did so well. I play Zelda in PM, and I also use a lot of gimmicky stuff. We could have had the most gimmicks in any one set, ever.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
Shout out time! Forgive me because after the two hour car drive and sleeping for a large portion of today, I can't remember all that much.

Pools:
17: Casiopea :4yoshi:- Your Yoshi was really fun to play with in pools. Our matches were really close and I liked that. Good job on your placement.
25: DLG Kobanwa :4luigi:-Your Luigi was nice. You knew your D-Throw stuff really well and I was really surprised how useful you made his tornado work for recovery. If I didn't have so much Luigi experience, you probably would have taken at least a game off me.
65: ALX:4pikachu:- If I remember, you said this was your first tournament. You played really well considering that and you have my respect for using Pikachu the way you did. Hope you can make it to more tournaments because Smash 4 needs more Pikachu.

Bracket:
25: Enemy:4robinm::4villager:- Really nice Villager. If I would have known that you played Robin, I probably would have money matched you in the ditto.
17: DTJ Hilt :4villager:- Your Villager had some crazy good setups and you were on point with that slingshot. Villager with a Thoron loaded pocket is scary af. Anti-shoutouts to Lylat though for being semi jank in our bracket match. We didn't get to have that Robin ditto though, but there's always next time.

Other:
17:
Shadow of the Past :4diddy::4shulk:-Your Shulk was surprisingly really good. I haven't seen many good Shulks before so I was constantly being surprised by what he could actually do. I too wish we could have played a bit more.

Shoutouts to Papa for winning PM. I remember back in the days when I played PM Ivysaur and he came onto the scene. Now look where your at man.

Shoutouts to JT for making 3rd place in Smash 4. Sonic matchup is stupid though.

Shoutouts to the Cinny people for running this thing and letting this tournament happen.

Shoutouts to however might have gotten ko'd by my Robin's books. If there's one thing that Robin can help with in Smash, it's learning to read.

Doublezz10

Smash Rookie
My friends and I had a lot of fun at this tournament, but the organization was a little but rough, with starting pools hours later than they were scheduled, a couple of my friends not even being placed into the pools they entered in, and running so late that we couldn't play in the mystery game tournament and had to forfeit (yes, I know it was only $2, but that's not the point).
This was definitely a great thing to happen for the Cincinnati Smash community; my only hope is that we go up from here because this was kind of a mess. I will definitely continue to attend these events as much as I can, assuming of course that if another big event happens, it will be better organized and simply better run.
Thanks for all the work put in by the TO's--I'm sure it took a lot of time, stress, and whatever else--but we can all agree that it could have been a better run event

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I always appreciate it when someone steps up to be TO. You are the 1% and I thank you for that.
I also respect that you attempt to stick to your guns and do your own thing. Afterall, it is your tournament.
But you need to take advice from people. If you are, it's hard to see it. Some of us have been around for over a half decade. We know what's up. Let us double and triple check bracket. Let us help you prioritize. I know you don't know some of us very well because you're newblood (you are to me at least), but get to know us. We're cool kids (*cough* grandpas *cough*). You can trust ppl like Hilt and Daycia to help make calls. I promise you. I will continue to come to your events for selfish reasons (I need the practice), but I will begin supporting it less and being very understanding if people stop supporting it altogether if the way things have been running keep up.
It's hard to take criticism. Especially when people have nothing good to say.
You brought the people. You had the setups. I loved that. And you had a hype mystery event. Love all of it. But some of the logistics will have to change if you want to continue growing as a TO.
Thanks as always for hosting.

And thx everyone for the shoutouts (@Absol, @ Shadow the Past Shadow the Past , @ LCC Son-in-Law LCC Son-in-Law , @ half_silver28 half_silver28 , @ Katakiri Katakiri , @ PowerHungryFool PowerHungryFool ). I love you all.

Last edited:

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
O yea, I was wondering why bracket pools was a thing but not for the most entered event?

PiBs

Smash Journeyman
O yea, I was wondering why bracket pools was a thing but not for the most entered event?
With the number of people that entered each event it worked best to run bracket for melee and pm and pools for smash 4. Having ~64 people means that you can have eight ~8 people brackets, while having 87 people for smash 4 means that you would need to have ~11 brackets which does not seed evenly into a final bracket well.

Also thank you for the advice, I'm continuing to improve. I had many people help with seeding smash 4, but it still went poorly due to it being a brand new game and time constraints with a 87 person tournament with no pre-registration.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
With the number of people that entered each event it worked best to run bracket for melee and pm and pools for smash 4. Having ~64 people means that you can have eight ~8 people brackets, while having 87 people for smash 4 means that you would need to have ~11 brackets which does not seed evenly into a final bracket well.

Also thank you for the advice, I'm continuing to improve. I had many people help with seeding smash 4, but it still went poorly due to it being a brand new game and time constraints with a 87 person tournament with no pre-registration.
yee! you responded<3
ye, idk what was up with the bracket being funky. happened in smash 4 and PM. where the 1st seed and 2nd seed of a particular pool had to play each other in the 2nd round of bracket. katakiri got shafted for it. but it happens. just take note and carry on.

Last edited:

Sam_

Smash Rookie
This was my first tournament, and it was awesome! I had a great time getting my butt kicked by you all :) I would do something like this again in a heartbeat! Thanks for making it great, especially with the unexpected turnout!

We Are GX

Smash Rookie
So since im still recovering and think i did over-do it on that day, I will still give my 2cents about the tourney. I had a lot of fun despite being in pain for most of it (didnt bring enough tylenol lol). After having played smash4 all of 4 times before this tourney i still felt under prepared and nervous about getting wrecked in a new game.
Shoutout time!

1: Judo :4sheik: - Driving you, sebastian, and rowan up to arcade was an adventure to say the least. Lots os enlightening conversations about smash and wow. I see why people look up to you as a player.

5: DLG Absol :4sheik: - You did as well as I hope you would and you have taken a step closer to being the great player i know you will become soon. Just keep pushing like we always talked about.

13: Crash - I thought we had good matches in bracket, not the wii fit match, but when i played ness. Had i not killed myself in the second match, I'd like to think things might have been a bit different. It tore me up that that's how it ended for me, a mistake i caused to myself and not you killing me instead.

17: Son-in-Law :4wiremac: - It was nice seeing your progress as a player. I will continue to help you grow as a player any chance i get. If you have any questions for me, believe me i will answer them to the best of my abilities. You can do it!!!!

17: DTJ Hilt :4villager: - As many times as I played against your villager on thursday, i still cant get around how annoying he is. That's a compliment. You have my highest respect.

25: DLG Kobanwa :4luigi: - Trent you will continue to get better. You did really well in my opinion and i got to watched a lot of your matches. Your luigi is coming along nicely. The game is still fresh so I think you will only grow from here.

25: Silver :4lucina::4zelda: - it was fun playing against a lucina player for a change. I got a new perspective on how to use her myself. I hope to see you grow too as a player.

33: Aufwiedehersehen :4lucina:- you were really cool and nice to talk to during and after the match. I havent seen lucina's custom moves until you showed up and i was thoroughly taken aback by how well you used her side b for spacing. I hope i get the chance to play against your lucina again seriously.

33: Sebastian :4sheik: - you remind me so much of myself when i started playing brawl competitively years ago and thats why i think we will become great friends over time.

65: Citrus Rain :4yoshi::rosalina: - Man it was rough for me in pools thanks to you lol. I had fun trying to learn the game on the go. One thing i can say that ive learned from competitive gaming is "Never Give Up". The same should apply you too, hope to play against you next time.

skiboots

Smash Cadet
NNID
skiboots
This tourney was mad fun and I got hella good practice. Still relatively new to Smash4 but I feel I'm improving fast and gettin to meet some great peeps.

Even though it was a bit cold, AL venue was fantastic. So much open space and room for set ups. Thanks to all the TO's for running a great event and for setting up a stream station!

Sad to not really see many other Pikachus for Smash 4 though :(

-2: Mister Eric :4rob: $217 & 9: Katakirter :4metaknight:: Your guys match was really good, I'm glad I got to see that.
4: Kel :4megaman:: Great meeting ya dude. Awesome being able to talk about SC2 strats. Screw Protoss, OP race.
-17: GX :4wiifit:: I want to rematch that custom Wii Fit! That set was too intense! Ggs dude.
-33: AlfaStryke:4yoshi:: THAT GAME 2 SKYLOFT. This set was mad fun, I'll get ya next time.

GGs everyone, can't wait for next event and to meet more peeps.

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Had a great time both playing and helping out with organization. I've got no doubt that next time will be greatly improved.

We structured the event the way we did in order to be prepared for lots of people entering more than one game. The vast majority of Smash 4 players only entered Smash 4, though, so a lot of people wound up sitting and waiting to play for what must have seemed like no good reason.

I hope this helps everyone understand why we're probably going to need to split this into alternating bimonthly events instead of one monthly with everything. I'm all for keeping the communities together where possible, but for a one-day event of this size it's fairly clunky. Also we had to sacrifice doubles, which is lame. :\

Shoutouts to all of the people. You know I love you all. :)

Also, Collin, put a Fox next to my name in PM. I played him more than I played Lucas. That's the main reason why I didn't do terrible. ;_;

Last edited:

Rizner

Smash Ace
Ok, so I should probably give feedback.

In my opinion, the tournament was pretty bad. The switch to bracket pools is made to save time with events. I appreciate that it was top 4, but it didn't address the fact that the biggest event and also the longest set time for games was not converted to bracket pools. If you have 87 entrants, make bracket pools of 11 people, with 5 getting a bye, and let 4 get out. If that event isn't what causes a need for bracket pools, then the other events don't really need bracket pools either. They were all staggered, so because the other two events run faster, you could shuffle people around with the times of smash 4 pools.
In addition, the event started for pm with four setups used for two bracket pools of 8 people each. That means after first round you aren't going to have full utility. I tried bringing this info up, but was basically told I don't understand tournaments by the Steve, and Collin didn't actually start more pools until later.

After pools, the bracket was made so each set of 4 people who made it out of a pool instantly go against one another right away. This means bracket pools did not matter, because you're going to the same bracket experience as your pool. I brought this up after pm started, and found out that the same thing happened for melee, which I believe was created after I brought up the issue, and also happened for smash 4 which definitely was created after I brought up the issue. There is no reason that should have happened for any game, but after the issue was brought to attention the same thing was done again.

After all of these issues created and for all tos seeming to say what a good event and not owning up to issues existing in a way that says "yes, this was an error we understand we have made" but instead either not being addressed or for other ways of justifying them, it does not give me much hope for an improvement being made going forward.

krebstar

Smash Rookie
To ring;ging here. I played :4wendy: Not :4dedede:! But thanks for all the matches I played and thanks for the Ohio scene over all for being incredibly welcoming and positive. Completely different vibe than the Indy scene where I sometimes feel like the odd man out for not only playing melee.

Special shout-outs to Mr. Eric. Didn't get to play you and I'm sure I'd get bodied but I really enjoyed our short chat.

Shout-out to son-in-law for some of the most heady heady matches I've fought on smash 4. Honestly kinda surprised I came out on top of that set.

Thanks everyone for the conversations and positive energy! Glad to see a scene that believes in this game!

AufWiedersehen

Smash Cadet
NNID
AufWiedersehen
33: Aufwiedehersehen :4lucina:- you were really cool and nice to talk to during and after the match. I havent seen lucina's custom moves until you showed up and i was thoroughly taken aback by how well you used her side b for spacing. I hope i get the chance to play against your lucina again seriously.
Thanks dude! You are too kind. I'm still blown away that you drove up to the tourney and competed right after having surgery. Your WFT wrecked my Lucina, plain and simple, and I too hope to rematch your WFT. Also, if you ever wanna try my custom setup, it's 3131 (customs are dashing assault and dolphin jump, dancing blade and counter are left default.)

Last edited:

Doctor X

Smash Lord
If you have 87 entrants, make bracket pools of 11 people, with 5 getting a bye, and let 4 get out.
An 11-man bracket pool has 19 sets played in it. A 5 man round-robin pool is 10 sets. Even a 6-man round-robin is less with 15 sets.

Like, I can understand the association of "bracket pools" with "faster," but in this particular case it would have actually made the event slower. I considered pushing the idea on Colin just so people wouldn't think Smash 4 was getting special treatment, but round robins don't really start getting out of hand compared to brackets until you get around to 8 or 9 players.

Another possibility was 16 bracket pools of 5-6 each, but that would have no doubt angered the Smash 4 crowd.

In addition, the event started for pm with four setups used for two bracket pools of 8 people each. That means after first round you aren't going to have full utility. I tried bringing this info up, but was basically told I don't understand tournaments by the Steve, and Collin didn't actually start more pools until later.
I am sorry if I said something like that to you. I honestly don't remember.

"Full utility" was honestly not my main concern for Melee or PM, though. I was well aware that there would be downtime due to collision with Smash 4, because there has always been downtime due to collusion with Smash 4 since Smash 4 came out. The difference here from CSR is that we tried to have it occur in controlled intervals, so people could use it to go get food or play friendlies without confusing the TO's as to what's bracket and what isn't. Colin's usual approach at CSR has had constant problems with this, and would have been a bloody mess for a tournament of this size.

I can understand why deliberately moving slowly might seem like a bad idea to most people, but remember how everybody knew where they were supposed to be at TBH4, and nobody was like, "oh, he's playing Melee right now, we'll have to wait?" Remember how we finished our waves with time to spare and got to play tons of friendlies? That's what I want, and I think we can do it.

After pools, the bracket was made so each set of 4 people who made it out of a pool instantly go against one another right away. This means bracket pools did not matter, because you're going to the same bracket experience as your pool. I brought this up after pm started, and found out that the same thing happened for melee, which I believe was created after I brought up the issue, and also happened for smash 4 which definitely was created after I brought up the issue. There is no reason that should have happened for any game, but after the issue was brought to attention the same thing was done again.
This is going to sound like finger-pointing, but I'm going to be perfectly frank with you guys. This was Colin's doing. PM pools finished well before Melee, and Colin made the PM brackets by himself without consulting me, even though we had previously agreed that I would do that part myself on my own computer. He then repeated this for Melee, after insisting that I play my first round PM match, and that Melee was his job anyway, not mine. After that first round match, I saw the problem in the PM bracket, but he insisted that it wasn't really an issue and that he wouldn't fix it because the brackets had already started.

I'm going to assume that something similar happened on the Smash 4 side. I remember hearing Daycia complain that Collin wouldn't let her make the bracket. I don't really know all the details of that, though.

I'd hate to throw Collin under a bus here, but this kind of stuff has long been a problem-- and not for lack of knowledgeable people being there to help. Collin very often doesn't want to listen to advice, and insists on learning things the hard way. The first tournament I helped him with, for example, he put players in pools in the order they signed up, insisting that randomizing was not necessary because the signup order was random enough.

Of course, that neglects the fact that carpools always sign up all at once, thus putting entire cars in the same pools together. He didn't want to hear it, though, and learned the hard way after.

After all of these issues created and for all tos seeming to say what a good event and not owning up to issues existing in a way that says "yes, this was an error we understand we have made" but instead either not being addressed or for other ways of justifying them, it does not give me much hope for an improvement being made going forward.
We'll be taking steps to correct problems, most definitely. I hope you guys who are unsatisfied will give it another chance. I won't let this be a bad event. I also don't want to discount all Collin's done to get this stuff up and running, despite all the hiccups. He's the only one among us who just stopped johning and started contacting venues. :\

Top Bottom