• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Christianity: The Factions Within

Status
Not open for further replies.

JediKnightLuigi

Smash Apprentice
About 2 weeks ago, I was watching basic cable late at night with my dad, a confessional lutheran pastor. For some reason, we were watching a Catholic Convention (celebrating the Eucharist [Lord's Supper] i think) that took place in Canada sometime this past year.

They had a very very long processional, with many priests and other Catholic clergy marching down the aisle. Whilst watching this, I asked "Are they all going to hell?" to which my dad said "Well, no, because we cant see into their hearts. Its just hard to believe that they all actually think and work towards 'work righteousness'." He then also quoted the bible saying something about a flame not being snuffed out and a reed not being broken.

He also mentioned something about a certain Simpsons episode that depicts a view of "Catholic" heaven and "Protestant" heaven: the Catholics were all riverdancing on their large cloud, while a handful of Protestants were playing badmitton on their cloud. I thought the joke was that all Irish were catholic or something; actually, it signifies their unity!

The pope told Martin Luther not to break up the unity that was Catholicism; it almosts seems like he was partially right.

Later on in the program, i was watching a sermon by some bishop. Every single thing he said...was in accordance with my beliefs as a confessional lutheran too! (barring something he said about how Mary was immaculate) Has anyone else tried to find the specific sameness-es in Christianity's different factions?

ATTN: It'd probably make more sense if non-christians wouldnt post here; this isnt about 'Whether God exists' or 'How can you believe in the Bible'. However if you're an ex-christian who's familiar with their old belief's doctrine, feel free to contribute.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
First, you do not say who can or can't post in a topic. Secondly, I see nothing less wrong with each faction. Christianity worships a ~2,000 year old zombie - that's awesome.

Amide

Smash Lord
When you were talking about the clergy walking down the aisle, why would they go to hell? I'm confused about that question.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The basics of different branches of Christianity are almost all the same. You do get the farther out ones like Gnosticism and other things, but in general they're close to the same thing. But, is this suppose to be a debate between the factions, or just a conversation about it? I have no problem with either, but I remember we had a debate one before, and it just got closed because it was nothing but preaching, which regularly doesn't lead to strong arguments here.

Cubemario

Smash Journeyman
Hey, it's my last day on the debate hall, cool.

I disagree, not all denominations are almost the same. Some believe in pre-trib rapture, post-trib rapture, no rapture at all, and some believe that jesus is never coming. Some worship mary, some don't. Others believe in hell, others don't.

Those are some very different beliefs. Personally, I think this topic is pointless, there's been enough debate/discussion of christianity.

JediKnightLuigi

Smash Apprentice
When you were talking about the clergy walking down the aisle, why would they go to hell? I'm confused about that question.
Well, I guess it would be because they seriously believe that the Pope is the vicar of Christ, which kind of negates why Jesus died in the first place (anti-Christ? get it?), amongst other non-biblical beliefs that Catholocism has made up.

The reason i said it about the bishops and other clergy is because i didn't want to say all Catholics were going to hell; i already knew that if someone believes that Jesus died for their sins, they would go to heaven, i.e. the regular, lay Catholic. It's the higher-ups that believe in dogmas contradictory to the Bible that i was asking my dad about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom