• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Choosing a main

GreekSquad

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmethystCG
Hey guys, I've been in need of a main for all of the smash games, (Except 64) Now of course I'm posting this in the melee thread so this is only for melee. All of the mains I have under my name are characters that I like, can you change these btw? But that's not the point. I need a zoning/spacing character, I could use a projectile, I've been considering marth or doc, but I'm not sure. You guys got any suggestions? It would help a lot. Thank you.

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Zoning/spacing kinda sounds most like samus. Though the best way to pick a main remains to just play who you enjoy playing best.

GAMb1No

Smash Rookie
If I were you I would try all the zoning/spacing characters that have been recommended to you and chose the one that feels the best. When I was choosing my main, I really wanted to play pikachu, but then I started playing as Falco for a little, and he just felt right. I would play as all the characters and see which one you personally like, it isn't someone else's decision for which character you main.

Peach

She doesn't combo, she doesn't get comboed, and she doesn't even tech skill. Turnips are the 2nd best projectile in the game. Floating is an abusive spacing tool

outofphase

Smash Apprentice
Well every top tier can play some pretty good zoning, but as far as being zoning-heavy, I would say that Marth, Jiggs, Peach, Samus, and Ganon are the ones that rely on it most, but also Sheik to a slightly lesser extent. Like I said though, you can play a strong zoning game with any top tier. Falco obviously has the best projectile, but Sheik, Peach, Samus and Doc have solid projectiles.

Dont greentext when not on 4chan, its just not cool.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Ness... He's fast, but if he is learned well, you can use him in very good ways and good combos. Same with Game&Watch

GenNyan

Smash Ace
Do falco. He has the second best projectile in the game (the first is marth's grab), which can be used to easily control space along with autocancelled bair and Utilt. Since he's a spacie, there's tons of sweet tech, and you get shine.

You've mentioned playing every smash game except 64, and I'm just gonna say that each game plays wildly different and you may be happier sticking to one (in terms of improvement.)

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
Open your eyes and go into an actual competitive Melee scene, your opinion is going to gather you quite a bit of negative attention.
I have been teased a lot of my opinion of a main, and do I care? NO.
Yo, knock it off. People can greentext, and I was asking for opinions.
Thanks for backup. I thought this thread was for anything about mains, not competitive mains.

Last edited:

GreekSquad

Smash Rookie
NNID
AmethystCG
Do falco. He has the second best projectile in the game (the first is marth's grab), which can be used to easily control space along with autocancelled bair and Utilt. Since he's a spacie, there's tons of sweet tech, and you get shine.

You've mentioned playing every smash game except 64, and I'm just gonna say that each game plays wildly different and you may be happier sticking to one (in terms of improvement.)
Thanks for mention of something other then my main, not saying that that wasn't the main point of the thread, but I appreciate it.

Top Bottom