• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Welcome to the Maze! A Beginners Pac-Man Guide - (In-depth Apple + Melon Guide Added)

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Cherry is spamableish lol.. unless they catch it. But I can usually get it out fast enough if they are in my face to push them back.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
just reposting here since it should be an important asset to his moveset. in a tournament today someone was using pac's trampoline on the ground as a zoning tool, forcing the opponent to jump if they step on it for an easy read and punish. i wasn't aware that he could do this until i saw it in action. it makes room for some easy keys or hydrant kicks when they have to land.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
just reposting here since it should be an important asset to his moveset. in a tournament today someone was using pac's trampoline on the ground as a zoning tool, forcing the opponent to jump if they step on it for an easy read and punish. i wasn't aware that he could do this until i saw it in action. it makes room for some easy keys or hydrant kicks when they have to land.
I like this! I will add it to the guide!

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You could also put the trampoline down, and when the opponent jumps on it, jump on it yourself and when the opponent lands on the trampoline, it's out of uses and the opponent is helpless.

Could work for gimps I guess. Just put down a trampoline, jump on it two times and it's an obstacle for the opponent,

AetherEch0s

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2681-0290-3939
its too dangerous to try and set up a red trampoline off-edge because you can't act out of it without landing. it could work, but they would probably just back off or gimp you instead.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
You could also put the trampoline down, and when the opponent jumps on it, jump on it yourself and when the opponent lands on the trampoline, it's out of uses and the opponent is helpless.

Could work for gimps I guess. Just put down a trampoline, jump on it two times and it's an obstacle for the opponent,
The custom move he has, the tricky trampoline, seems better suited for those types of shenanigans I think

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Been using the trampoline as a zoning tool like previously mentioned.... That move is real. Pretty sure Pac was designed to be a more of bait and trap /camp character.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ

DrakeRowan

Just call me "Rowan"
3DS FC
3668-9905-1901
HERE'S MORE FOOTAGE OF ABADANGO's PACMAN FROM FRIENDLIES VS. ROSALINA. STARTS AT 1:45:57
(I think it's Ale as this Pacman plays quite similar to him.)

::OPINIONS::

-Sandwiching an opponent between lingering trampolines and Hydrant seems fun.

-Hydrant dash grab looks awesome as it's basically a huge extended grab.

-Hydrant is the best use of the pushing mechanic I've seen in all iterations of smash. Mario's DownB (Flood) wishes it was this awesome.

::NOTES::

-Lingering Trampolines stops spike/meteors. Seen here, at 7:21

-OoS Trampoline looks VERY fast; quite possibly 1-2 frames. I'd imagine this to be very useful for his meta development as the hitbox pretty much surrounds Pac-man, it bounces/hits the opponent with him, and it also leaves a lingering trampoline. Seen here at 6:57.

-If a Hydrant is in front of PacMan and PacMan uses his SideB in a trajectory through the Hydrant, PacMan will end his sideB prematurely causing the pullet to drop which can be used to heal. As the Hydrant covers PacMan, this can be useful to heal; that is, if the situation calls for it. Seen here, at 3:42. It's either this or PacMan has a way to end his SideB prematurely as he does not do this Seen here at 8:04.

-Starting from the time the Hydrant lands on the stage, water from the Hydrant comes out a maximum of two times between 2 second periods. After that, the hydrant stays on the stage for 3 seconds before disappearing. (I've merely determined these times from watching steams. I'm unsure on what the APPROXIMATE times are.) The second water timer will not start until both waters (or water if it's going up) from the first disappears. The direction of the Water is determined whether someone is on the Hydrant or not. If someone is on the Hydrant when one of those 2 (or so) seconds ends, then the water will start splashing on top of the Hydrant, before travelling up.

-Take note on how the final hit determines the trajectory of the Hydrant. I've seen 5 different trajectories. Basically, the stronger the hit used, the farther the trajectory. This holds true for all variants, with some exceptions concerning 4th and 5th, or if the final hit is PacMans Ftilt (as it's either the 3rd or 4th variant).
  • -1. Hydrant bounces close to PacMan, going minimal distance. PacMan's first jab does this. Seen here, at 6:56.
  • -2. Hydrant bounces a fair distance away from PacMan. I estimate it's distance is about 3/4ths of the 3rd variant's. Pacman's Fair does this. Seen here with Pacman's Fair at 3:09.
  • -3. Hydrant bounces pretty much across the stage. This is the most common variation. Pacman's Bair and tossed neutralB variants does this. Seen here with Ftilt at 9:30, with Bair at 9:58; or Seen here with Bair at 2:43, with Fsmash at 9:56.
  • -4 Hydrant bounces pretty much across the stage; HOWEVER, the inital trajectory arcs higher than the 3rd variant. It's possible for the opponent to dash right under this one. Everything else about this variant is pretty much the same as the third one. PacMan's Ftilt either does this or the 3rd variant. Seen here with Pacman's Ftilt at 10:28. Seen here with PacMan's Key at 7:46.
  • -5. Hydrant soars across the air, travelling VERY far. The Hydrant will likely not bounce at all unless done from the absolute end of FD. PacMan's edge-rising attack (the kick when rising from the ledge) and Rosalina's SideB (12:02) does this.

-I can see scenarios where opposing players will often try to bait the Hydrant. If the Pac player is close to the opponent in the air, good opposing players are likely to wait for the Hydrant by holding shield (or power-shielding the Hydrant drop). Immediately after, they'll jump and attack. Best way to counter this is to drop the Hydrant from higher in the air, or to not drop the hydrant at all (i.e. Mixing it up).

Last edited:

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
Hey guys. I uploaded new images for each move... They are all taken by me, from in game, so the guide looks a lot cleaner.

Also discovered that Pac-Man's up B can gets him out of Ness's PK fire traps.. Probably helps him escape most combos as well.. Needs more testing.

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
Pac looks really, really fun. But who will hard counter him, you think?

Personally I think strong, fast characters like Falcon or Mac might cause trouble for Pac-Man, but for Mac you can just throw down a trampoline in his pathway and he has to either side-b over it or jump over it or just wait.

Also, is the key any good except for really high percentage KO's? I haven't seen many KOs done with it but I know it still can.

Gotta study up for Smash 4, you feel?

Zage

Smash Journeyman
After a long time of deliberation, I've decided on Pac-Man as my Main for SSB4. Nice to meet you all, can't wait to meet some of yall on For Glory once the game hits.

Overall, I'm liking how Pac is developing, I'm just worried about us having to rely on his Hydrant pressure a little too much because it seems like something people can learn how to predict easily after they learn the MU. Hopefully some new tech surfaces soon.

As for custom moves, Pac's neutral B alters the fruit's trajectories so much that they might end up being huge counter picks depending on if customs are allowed in tourneys are not.

Pac looks really, really fun. But who will hard counter him, you think?

Personally I think strong, fast characters like Falcon or Mac might cause trouble for Pac-Man, but for Mac you can just throw down a trampoline in his pathway and he has to either side-b over it or jump over it or just wait.
I feel like character who can deal with projectile heavy characters will usually give him some trouble. Maybe Palutena or Rosalina as prime examples.

Last edited:

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
As for custom moves, Pac's neutral B alters the fruit's trajectories so much that they might end up being huge counter picks depending on if customs are allowed in tourneys are not.
That's good food for thought - fast or slow projectiles could be good for playing with your opponents, they might not expect the faster fruits or the slower fruits.

Exploding Plug might have its uses too.

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
So how do you guys think Pac-Man will play, or how will you play him?

I'm hoping to play a bit of rushdown projectiles, just getting in when I can and try to use projectiles to assist me or just get up percentage for KOs. I don't want to play camping, that's just a boring playstyle for me. Different strokes for different folks, though.

I personally LOVE his stage control. With Pac-Jump, the hydrant, and the fruit, Pac-Man can really take control of a stage nicely. Pac might have favourable matchups against Mac.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I also think Pac has a favorable matchup vs Little Mac.. Trampoline and Hydrant on stage and the ability to camp truly shuts down Mac's game...however one mess up and you are gonna eat a ton of percent so it is by no means an easy match up... Mac benefits far too greatly when his opponent messes up and leaves himself open so be careful...

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
I just added some work to the Advances technique sections. It will take a while but it is a start. What do you think? This is just some of the stuff I have been fooling around with in the the first 3 weeks of the game... Can't wait to learn more!

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
I just added some work to the Advances technique sections. It will take a while but it is a start. What do you think? This is just some of the stuff I have been fooling around with in the the first 3 weeks of the game... Can't wait to learn more!
It looks good! I like the trapping situations Pac can put opponents in, it looks like it'll be a blast to play with.

About the Battlefield one, should you try to move to the ledge when you're bouncing up or do you automatically slide up the part of Battlefield and grab onto the ledge?

I'm really excited to be able to play around with Pac-Man. I wonder how his customs will work too - some of them are really interesting to see. Exploding Plug was a bit of a disappointment, though. Fire Plug might have it's uses, more deadly edge-guarding? Not sure.

I do like his Up-B 3. The meteor effect + it grounds opponents is REALLY interesting, especially if you want to squeeze out of a combo. Plus, it could work even better with trapping opponents (if they decide to go on your trampoline, they risk you getting in a free Smash attack or you getting the fruit you need)

Pac-Man looks like a blast, and while he's one of the more tricky characters, learning how to play him will really pay off.

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
The only thing I don't like about the Up B 3 is that you can only bounce the distance of the first trampoline bounce. It doesn't get higher.
True, that can kind of limit recovery, so it might be a good idea to switch it up, depending on how hard you might be countered.

Up against a Palutena? Keep the regular trampoline just in case you need good recovery, use fast or slow fruits, etc etc.

ptrk83

PRiDE
NNID
X-ptrk83-X
The only thing I don't like about the Up B 3 is that you can only bounce the distance of the first trampoline bounce. It doesn't get higher.
That's my gripe against it too and to be honest we really need that up b most of the time. Really, with the exception of maybe the slow moving bonus fruit I prefer pacmans normal specials over his customs. In teams however I switch to bomb hydrant and big bounce trampoline.

And to answer the poster above , yeah it automatically grabs the edge without moving it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
That's my gripe against it too and to be honest we really need that up b most of the time. Really, with the exception of maybe the slow moving bonus fruit I prefer pacmans normal specials over his customs. In teams however I switch to bomb hydrant and big bounce trampoline.

And to answer the poster above , yeah it automatically grabs the edge without moving it.
The lazy fruit actually looks does like an interesting switch. Especially the galaxian ship considering it traps the opponent. But it makes the key kinda bad.

Last edited:

Skymin50

Smash Cadet
The lazy fruit actually looks does like an interesting switch. Especially the galaxian ship considering it traps the opponent. But it makes the key kinda bad.
Orange is also good for edge-guarding like that one customs video had. Slap it near the edge, and your opponent has a tricky time dealing with it.

Not sure if I'm thinking of orange or a different one, but it's close enough.

Top Bottom