• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Chess With Your Power 2.0 - IT BEGINS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Chess.com is perfectly stable it is only the live chess that isn't perfectly stable. Chess.com is primarily a turn base style site, you can make it as fast as you want or as slow as you want but you can have up to 3 days to move.

When I tried yahoo chess I had terrible lag issues not to mention there isn't a designated tournament creation feature, chess.com is a lot better in that aspect.

Here is another option: We make the actually tournament on chess.com, I wish I could just use their system without the automated games. So what we can do is just start it on chess.com and then have those that want to do it on yahoo play on yahoo and then go to their chess.com game and then record it by artificially making that outcome on the chess.com site (IE the loser resigns or agree to a tie).

Does this make sense? With chess.com everything is automated, I don't actually do any of the calculating or recording, it does it for you.

Overload

Smash Lord
Sure why not. As long as I get to play chess I'm pretty much happy.

Wardub

Smash Cadet
I'd like to play if there's room. I've never played on chess.com, going to make my account now.

Wardub

Smash Cadet
Sure you can play, Wardub.
Sweet, can someone explain how it works, I've always played at yahoo. Like is there an official tournament I have to join, or are we doing it just through this site? Also how many games are we going to be playing and what are the time limits?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
To prevent explaining to every new poster. I used some of your first post Wikipedia.

CHESS.COM --- A HOW TO & FAQ

After registering with chess.com and logging in you will see the following screen:

You can see that under your details is a list of games that you are currently involved in. The Alert box on the right tells you when it is your turn in game, when you have a private messsage, a friend request etc.

You can see that for each game, there is various information. This includes your opponent, whether it is a normal or tournament game, how many moves have been played, the time you or your opponent has left to make a move and finally whose move it is.

By clicking on the game name or the 'Waiting...' bit, you will be taken to the game, which looks like this:

Chess.com provides users with the luxury of making moves at their leisure, but under a time frame agreed with your opponent. When it is your turn to move, the screen will look like this:

You can see there is a chat box, another 'moves' tab which lists the movse, a 'details' tab which lists taken pieces and shows how the game will affect your rating. When you join the site you have a rating of 1200. When you win, this goes up, when you lose it goes down.

After you have moved the piece you wanted to where you want, Click 'Submit Move'. Then you can do whatever you like until your opponent moves, at which point the page will refresh if you stay online and it is your turn again. You can log off, go to sleep, make a tea, kill someone whatever... when you log on again, if it is your turn, you can then make your move.This goes on until there is a winner or a draw. If you don't move in time, you lose.

This form of play is located at 'Online Chess' which is found under the 'Play' tab:

'Live Chess' allows for quicker chess, with 1, 2, 5, 10.. minutes timed chess. Under this type of chess, there is no 'Submit move' button, it's as if you were playing an opponent in real life. Tournaments however, only occur in the 'Online Chess' format.

Tournament games are all set up automatically once all the registrants have joined.

Tournament pairings look like this:

FAQS

How do I join Chess.com?

Go here ----->http://www.chess.com/register.html
It is preferable if you register with the same username as your SmashBoards one as it makes things easier. If that username is taken, simply add 17 eg. N9NE17.

OK, I've joined Chess.com, how do I join the tournament?

You will be sent an invitation on chess.com by the tournament organiser. Accept that and you will be registered

Do I have to challenge people to start the games?

No, the games will start automatically once everyone has registered.

How does the tournament work?

The tournament is a round robin knock out format. In a knock-out the players are put into smaller groups and then the winner(s) of that group are combined with winners of other groups to form a new group. The winner(s) of the final group are the winner(s) of the entire tournament.

How many games will I play?

This is dependent on the number of people in the tournament. With large numbers, there will be several groups, the winner of each group will proceed to the next round. You will play each person in your group twice, once as black and once as white.

How are tournaments scored?

You get 1 point for a win, 0.5 for a draw and 0 for a loss.

How much time do I have to make a move?

This is dependent on the tournament structure, with it usually being 3 days.

----
Will add to this later, hope it was clear.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Wow, that is awesome N9NE I have been planning on doing a screen shot walk through but have just been too lazy. I will add that to the front page.

Matunas, tshahi10, cutter, have been added to the tournament.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Good game Overswarm, although you had a spacial advantage I am confident that my material gain of a rook and a pawn would have been too much for you. Good idea nonetheless.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Don't you hate it when you're on the verge of checkmate and your opponent logs off?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Good game Overswarm, although you had a spacial advantage I am confident that my material gain of a rook and a pawn would have been too much for you. Good idea nonetheless.
I was gone on a smash tournament when you did your move. By the time I got back it gave me the loss. 3 days is too short due to weekends. :(

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just a note to all entrants.

Please please please do not sign up if you know that you will not be able to access the internet on a regular basis when the tournament starts on January 1st. If you can't access the site regularly within the alloted timeframe you will just lose all your games which really demeans the tournament. And that would suck.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I just played a game on live chess and my opponent's pieces were invisible. I told him and offered a draw but he just kept playing.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Apologies for the bump and double post, but Wikipedia is it time to send invitations to join the tournament?

tshahi10

Smash Ace
just asking, but how can we know that players wont use an engine like rybka to win

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Just have to trust them tshahi10.

And I guess the tournament isn't starting yet.

EnigmaticCam

Smash Ace
If you're suspected of using an engine, they can look at your games and easily determine if you are or not.

Hopefully Wikipedia doesn't forget about me, as I'm still not listed on the front page.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
If you're suspected of using an engine, they can look at your games and easily determine if you are or not.

Hopefully Wikipedia doesn't forget about me, as I'm still not listed on the front page.
how can you look at a game and be suspected...if you win lol?

edit: still no invites

Overload

Smash Lord
how can you look at a game and be suspected...if you win lol?
I'm sure they have a program that can tell by matching the characteristics of the moves to that of an engine or something.
When is the tourney starting? All I know is I won't be home after 5 pm tomorrow.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I've been invited to a tourny starting on the 19th. Would like it if we could squeeze this in before that starts.

Wikipedia

Smash Lord
Ok, so it will be a little longer, I am talking with the moderators there but apparently I can't host a tournament because I have been on vacation too much. I am a premium member there and it won't be hard to fix but it will just take a little more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom