• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Check Out These Smash 3DS Billboards From Japan

SupremeSuperiorStick

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sohaii

I had posted it as part of the image compilation BEFORE a mislead disappointment in lack of DK VS Little Mac was expressed, long before BOTH of you posted it!!!

I had the opportunity and the information and I failed to make use of it. I don’t know what an inquest or a court of law would say, but I stand condemned in the court of my own conscience to be guilty of not posting the picture earlier…The bottom line is that I failed to understand what I was being told; I failed to stand up and be counted. Therefore look no further; I am guilty.

Luigifan578

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-2770-2508
Stupid Japan gona leak everything for us in about a week :troll:

Trav11111

Smash Cadet
Gekkouga is a 10x better name than Greninja...yup, that was the first thing I thought when I saw these. Didn't think "Awesome" or even "Wow". Just how much I wish Greninja kept the name Gekkouga.

WinterShorts

The best NEOH Yoshi
NNID
Jelwshuman
3DS FC
4382-2513-9345
Still a better smash news than any smash-run related stuff.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Surprised that I didn't see one that was just :4mario: vs. :4sonic:.

NovaDS

Smash Rookie
...Seriously? I'm jealous. Everyone is jealous.
I wish similar interest in that game in my country, or at least city. But nothing, anyone that i know is gonna buy that game, or know about it.
So...jealous.
I already said it?

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
:4megaman: vs. :4sonic: .

I mean come on, The Blue Bomber vs The Blue Blur? The Archie comic crossover had me CRAVING this so much.

Wasp

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3523-2036-8883
I like the Mario vs. Peach billboard... Seems funny somehow... making it clear that it's not always peacefull between mario and the princess...

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
:4peach: vs. :4metaknight: vs. :4villager: (in case you don't get this one, all three were the first newcomers shown in their respective first Smash Bros. game's E3 trailers)

:4megaman: vs. :4sonic: Archie Comic crossover, enough said.

:4littlemac: vs. :4shulk: West vs. East (Requested Newcomer-wise)

:4luigi: vs. :4mario: vs. :4peach: vs. :rosalina: because SM3DW, because why not?

Ridley vs. :mewtwopm: the most hype you can get in an ad for Smash.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I lived there for about a month. It's a generally good place. It has a lot of similarities with America, but of course it has many differences as well.

Wanting to live in Japan due to lust or materialism though is a horrible motivation to live anywhere. As an 18-year old (it's been a while), that was a large part of my motivation to go. Of course, I wanted to learn more about the language, and people, and so forth as well.

Japan is a place where, if you have an attention to detail, there is almost always something of interest to see. But human beings can get used to anything. Stay there long enough, and the simple things won't impress you as much.
So how'd you survive not knowing Japanese? :seuss:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Dat last one in da video tho. Magician gurls, they're unKOable. Slow stronk moves with sparkles on top.

AlvisCPU

Smash Ace
NNID
GaleSlash
3DS FC
2492-4221-0172
Here's one I didn't see in the video.
1409489112174.jpg

Last edited:

200X!!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
sweetidealism
3DS FC
5327-0916-5405
Ness vs Mewtwo billboards please <3

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
It's always nice to learn about people's experience in Japan, so I appreciate seeing your two cents on the matter.

As for me, my desire to live in Japan comes from the culture itself. I want to see how it is like to live with an entirely different group of people (as well as how life is like to live by myself). I also just got back to learning Japanese (日本語), which is a huge motivation for me to live in Japan. There is a lot about Japan that I am interested in and not just manga, video games, or anime (otherwise I wouldn't have considered moving). I also intend on becoming an ESL teacher for a career, teaching in various countries in East, Southeast, and South Asia.
I have a lot of friends who went to Japan or Korea with a very similar mindset. "Enjoy the culture, language, and swag; teach English to eek out a living and get placed more easily in a foreign country." It's not a bad plan. It's a well-worn path, I think.

Just know that it will not satisfy you. It will be pretty cool, though. I like the food better over there in general, but then again, I couldn't read any ingredient lables, either... Hard to say it is much healthier definitively, but I will say that I lost about 10lbs in the month I lived in Japan. I also walked a lot and took the train, at times.

Korea is probably a better fit for a westerner, ultimately. Korea doesn't interest everyone, though. Japan is nice for buying stuff, food, scenery... Entertainment. Lust of the eyes. But trying to have deep relationships with other people there is very difficult. The language barrier is bad enough, but you also have culture working against you as well. Many Japanese see foreigners as scary, just like most people are initially wary of people who look, act, and talk differently. Even though I was the second best at Japanese in my group, after a month I was extremely tired of no one speaking English. It wore me out mentally. It was hard for people to relate to me, and me to them. I got severely homesick. Almost had a mental breakdown by the time I got to the flight home.

It's not for everyone. I'd suggest an extended visit to Japan before setting up an entire life and career over there!

As a last aside, going to Japan really made me lose my appetite for anime and manga. I can still enjoy a good one at times, but once you go there and you see entire stores overflowing with the stuff, you begin to realize that the stuff isn't as special as you may have once believed. Most of it bad quality, and all of it is just endless rehash. When you do find a good one, though, I admit, it is nice. The Japanese really do have a talent for an effective brand of visual storytelling.

So how'd you survive not knowing Japanese? :seuss:
I do know a decent amount of Japanese, actually. I mostly know syntax and grammar, as I have a limited vocabulary. But since I was taught Japanese in the same way that a person learns their first language from their parents, it's easy for me to learn new words. Mr. Suzuki, my Japanese teacher, was a very pragmatic person. Very effective teaching methods. It helped that I was highly motivated to learn, however. The slackers in the class decided they didn't want to work, and so they did poorly.

I admit, I am very rusty. Once you leave the environment where the language is used, you forget things. It can come back to you, but if you don't use it, you can lose it to an extent.

Interestingly, after a month of being in Japan, once I got back home I would mix up my Rs and Ls a bit in my English speaking. It also became mentally excruciating to spell things verbally, or to comprehend other people doing the same thing, e.g., "bee ee en ee ay tee etch, beneath." It has to do with how my brain learned Japanese. It was interesting.

Last edited:

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I lived there for about a month. It's a generally good place. It has a lot of similarities with America, but of course it has many differences as well.

Wanting to live in Japan due to lust or materialism though is a horrible motivation to live anywhere. As an 18-year old (it's been a while), that was a large part of my motivation to go. Of course, I wanted to learn more about the language, and people, and so forth as well.

Japan is a place where, if you have an attention to detail, there is almost always something of interest to see. But human beings can get used to anything. Stay there long enough, and the simple things won't impress you as much.
I agree and had a similar experience and level of motivation, just a different outcome. I come to realize that I dislike Japanese city culture. While I love the countryside in Japan, I'm no longer a weeaboo after experiencing a two week stay in Tokyo.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I agree and had a similar experience and level of motivation, just a different outcome. I come to realize that I dislike Japanese city culture. While I love the countryside in Japan, I'm no longer a weeaboo after experiencing a two week stay in Tokyo.
"Rural" Japan is fairly comparable to the majority of American small towns. I agree, I enjoyed being in small town Japan waaaaay more than Tokyo. Tokyo was fun to visit, but yeah. You begin to see where the Japanese mentality towards technology and the value of humanity begins to stem from - I'm referring to the Japanese media, at least: movies, anime, and the like.

I don't get Zelda vs Donkey Kong...
Favorite is Lucina vs Link
In the arcade game Donkey Kong, DK would kidnap Pauline, who was a girl in a pink dress. This is probably a play on that (and King Kong), allowing not only for a recreation of the King Kong/Donkey Kong/Tarzan meme, but also role reversals.

"Ape kidnaps girl"

Or

"Girl fights back against ape kidnapper"

Possibilities like that. Seeing that image would definitely illicit thoughts like those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom