• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Videos Thread

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
Thanks for the compliment. You'll notice in those videos I really like to approach with short-hop/fade-away nairs. Probably Charizard's most consistent approach option.

I found a simple setup that I want to share with the rest of the Charizards out there. If you manage to secure a grab near the ledge at low percents, and if your opponent happens to be a bit air-dodge happy, you can d-throw them, bait out an air-dodge, and dair them into oblivion. This is easily escapable as they can either jump or attack to get out of it. But if you have that air-dodge read it can net you an early KO. These three videos all contain what can happen if your opponent makes a bad call. (I was lucky enough on the Mario one where his nair just barely missed me)
That... that was beautiful... *sniff*

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Thanks for the compilations, Bloodcross Bloodcross . I'm trying to improve my Charizard game, and I just realized I should be going for spikes a lot more often. Think we could spar sometime? I need to improve my neutral.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
OK, so I'm trying to look at my replays to see what i'm doing wrong, but I just can't see anything in either my wins or my losses. Could somebody take a look at my replays?

I uploaded a couple to youtube, and the rest to Smash4's online replay thing. For the latter, search terms are Creator: Strider, Character: Charizard.

Update: Here's one more:

Last edited:

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
OK, so I'm trying to look at my replays to see what i'm doing wrong, but I just can't see anything in either my wins or my losses. Could somebody take a look at my replays?

I uploaded a couple to youtube, and the rest to Smash4's online replay thing. For the latter, search terms are Creator: Strider, Character: Charizard.
The biggest concern I have is your spacing and overall playstyle. Charizard's playstyle is a mix of spacing/bait+punish. What this means is that you sort of have to force your opponent to commit to a risky move and be able to punish accordingly. To do this you should know when to keep up the pressure and when to stay back. Charizard's neutral air + fair are great pressure options along with hist tilts as pokes. (In these 3 videos I noticed that you seemed to have trouble auto-canceling Chaizard's shorthop fair. Work on that.) Neutral air and flamethrower are also great moves to disrupt your opponents momentum when they're pressuring you.

What I noticed about your playstyle is you kind of just stand there and wait for your opponents to fall into your attacks. That's not always going to work. Charizard needs to be mobile and keep up the pressure as much as he can so that your opponent gets impatient. That's honestly your biggest fault I see. Work on maneuvering around the stage (not by rolling) and find the best block strings to pressure your opponent.

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice

Update: Here's one more:
So in the first one you approached with Nair or Flamethrower pretty much every time. Mix up with fair and retreating aerials in general more. Also approach with dashes into shield more. Or just shield more in general. One of Charizard's best strengths is his strong OoS game. I think I saw you shield about twice against Diddy.

For the second, you shielded a lot more but you often shielded well in advance of when your opponent was going to hit you. You don't necessarily have to try to powershield their hits but it would be better to not make your shield unnecessarily small by putting it up early. You used a lot of nairs in neutral. Mix it up more.

On another note, Zard can FH fair just about the entire cast at low percent and then FF for a potential regrab if they don't DI away or double jump. SH fair is only ever worth against fast fallers or super heavy opponents because it can potentially lead into a jab combo frame trap. Also FH airdodge is not a great option for Zard because of his bad airspeed. Reset to the ledge when your opponent respawns with invincibility and you are harder to hit during that time.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Yeah I'm trying to get better at both OOS and autocanceling my fair. I can do them when I'm focusing on it but I still need to make it a habit. Would it be easier if I set my L button to Jump? Also, I'm trying to get better at movement; some days I move a lot more smoothly than others. I'm trying to get to the point where I can play Charizard better than Bloodcross and Trela.

And as a side note, I was trying to shield a bit more against diddy, but there was a little bit of input lag due to it being online.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I'm trying to get better at both OOS and autocanceling my fair. I can do them when I'm focusing on it but I still need to make it a habit. Would it be easier if I set my L button to Jump? Also, I'm trying to get better at movement; some days I move a lot more smoothly than others. I'm trying to get to the point where I can play Charizard better than Bloodcross and Trela.

And as a side note, I was trying to shield a bit more against diddy, but there was a little bit of input lag due to it being online.
I don't use gamecube controllers so I honestly don't know. The few times I've played with a gamecube controller I've always used Y to do jump when I use aerials but I haven't looked into controller setups for Fly OoS. I imagine using a shoulder button for that would be a good idea though.

input lag
That's understandable but don't let that be an excuse. Input lag might make you miss a power shield but it's really not going to make you only click shield twice in a game.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision

Kept laughing for 2 whole Minutes straight.

Last edited:

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob
So, i had this rather weak opponent today (no offense), and got really cocky with Flareblitz and other punishable stuff, and had this happen to me:

Kept laughing for 2 whole Minutes straight.
Ah yeah I've had that happen a few times lol, you actually have to watch it for that with Kirby and Charizard. Getting hit with mechakoopas or anything like that while rising will instantly kill you. On the other hand you can go through the top of the tree on Duck Hunt and similar stages for up throw KOs at around 30-50%

Saltyman

I'm Already Dead Inside
NNID
JustAnotherNoob

It's finally finished! :) I got distracted by Cloud..
This one is a bit short, I tried to only use my best clips.
I have another less serious Charizard montage as well :p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WppcwGPP3vw

Getting pretty good at editing.. feel free to check them out, I play Charizard quite a bit :)

Last edited:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Here's a match against a fairly good Sheik that I had recently. Overall I think I played well even if I didn't have a good game one and kept trying to challenge vanish. Any advice criticisms would be helpful.
(The first minute is skipped because we had to reset the match, his controller wasn't working)

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
I just noted some things as I watched. Some of it comes down to knowing Sheik rather than Zard but I hope this is still helpful for you.

So you can get out of sour nair to ftilt at 0 by shielding. Jab 2 -> grab is a 50/50 low percent on Sheik. You can roll or spot dodge the grab. They can do jab 2 -> wait as well but they generally won't until they see you dodge jab2 -> grab.

You're using Fly early a lot which worked a few times but its risk vs reward type stuff. Not worth if Sheik punishes well. If he knocks you above second platform you should reset to the ledge imo. Same type of thing for being offstage and flare blitzing his shield. Should be a sweetspot usmash. Was a weak dash attack instead.

Your punishes for his missed ledge grabs weren't the best but you still caught him once game one. You could have fsmashed him for not getting the ledge with bouncing fish if you read it and he was missing an awful lot. You also went for dthrow usmash which I'm pretty sure only works on heavies for DI away (not sure if that was supposed to be Uair).

You also missed some auto cancels in there but you can fix that pretty quickly. Zard's landing lag values are way to high to not be trying to AC everything. Also if you want to put out a hitbox behind you when someone is chasing your landing, reverse rock smash is way better than Bair. If Sheik punishes optimally (he wasn't) the difference is huge.

When you were chasing sheik after bouncing fish while she was above you, she used Bair almost every time. Go for a read on it if you play that guy again.

Oh and if Sheik plays lame FD seriously makes the MU 20-80 because needles OP. You should ban that in the future.

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
I just noted some things as I watched. Some of it comes down to knowing Sheik rather than Zard but I hope this is still helpful for you.

So you can get out of sour nair to ftilt at 0 by shielding. Jab 2 -> grab is a 50/50 low percent on Sheik. You can roll or spot dodge the grab. They can do jab 2 -> wait as well but they generally won't until they see you dodge jab2 -> grab.

You're using Fly early a lot which worked a few times but its risk vs reward type stuff. Not worth if Sheik punishes well. If he knocks you above second platform you should reset to the ledge imo. Same type of thing for being offstage and flare blitzing his shield. Should be a sweetspot usmash. Was a weak dash attack instead.

Your punishes for his missed ledge grabs weren't the best but you still caught him once game one. You could have fsmashed him for not getting the ledge with bouncing fish if you read it and he was missing an awful lot. You also went for dthrow usmash which I'm pretty sure only works on heavies for DI away (not sure if that was supposed to be Uair).

You also missed some auto cancels in there but you can fix that pretty quickly. Zard's landing lag values are way to high to not be trying to AC everything. Also if you want to put out a hitbox behind you when someone is chasing your landing, reverse rock smash is way better than Bair. If Sheik punishes optimally (he wasn't) the difference is huge.

When you were chasing sheik after bouncing fish while she was above you, she used Bair almost every time. Go for a read on it if you play that guy again.

Oh and if Sheik plays lame FD seriously makes the MU 20-80 because needles OP. You should ban that in the future.
Aye, FD is one of Charizard's worst stages not only because it's harder for him to evade projectiles, but also because there are no platforms. If you're playing Charizard, FD should be the first stage you strike.

Also, you used Rock Smash a tad bit too liberally, as your opponent was able to read and punish it. Sometimes it's even better to mix those landings up. That's a mistake I make too sometimes.

Anyway, take a look at my comeback against a sheik I got in FG. I posted it above.

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367

Guys, this is important.

Olimar needs to be nerfed in Special Smash. He wins games before they even start. How are casual smashers supposed to sleep at night?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I need to upload some of my replays.

Hopefully they won't look like absolute poop.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

My really good replays are gone, but I made this neat one last night.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
So I found this video of Anti playing Charizard, seems like from the commentary he just recently picked him up and this was the first time he had showed it off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeEh9qAXY2w

Sadly it's only one game, but it's still probably the best I've ever seen Charizard play and you could tell there was a lot of things Anti was just missing. The way he was moving around was what had me so impressed, the way he was moving in and out just out of the range of the Yoshi was great. It really showed off how fast Zard is which is something you don't often notice besides him having the 8th fasted dash speed. Hope we see more of Anti's Charizard in the future.

Last edited:

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Probably the closest I've gotten to a legit JV3 with Charizard. And by that I mean the opponent doesn't commit suicide accidentally or purposefully after the first stock and is actively trying to hit me and survive. Anybody ever get a true JV3 with Charizard? I feel like it's very hard for him considering how often nair trades/gets beaten out.
By the way back throw into fair will catch sooooo many people's jumps on For Glory. You're pretty much free to follow up however you please after that.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Probably the closest I've gotten to a legit JV3 with Charizard. And by that I mean the opponent doesn't commit suicide accidentally or purposefully after the first stock and is actively trying to hit me and survive. Anybody ever get a true JV3 with Charizard? I feel like it's very hard for him considering how often nair trades/gets beaten out.
By the way back throw into fair will catch sooooo many people's jumps on For Glory. You're pretty much free to follow up however you please after that.
I got one against a Little Mac once, but it went exactly how you think it probably went. Two shield grabs, two back throws, and two flamethrower gimp. Also that was really sick, I love how D-Tilt sets up for those so early sometimes.

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
I got one against a Little Mac once, but it went exactly how you think it probably went. Two shield grabs, two back throws, and two flamethrower gimp. Also that was really sick, I love how D-Tilt sets up for those so early sometimes.
Sounds about right. And yeah D-tilt is super good at giving Charizard the advantage.

To reiterate, back-throw to fair just works wonders on For Glory.

And once your opponent learns to not double jump all the time, you can totally take advantage of that fear. Here's a comeback I made on the same guy. With just two reads I take the stock managing to come back from a 145% deficit. Skip to 2:49 to see the wonders a quick Charizard combo can perform.

moofpi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
moofpi
3DS FC
0473-8866-3506
Anvil Smash #39
BrianYDG :4charizard:**

Winner's Semis: vs Black Bayo :4bayonetta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fct7UrRnaXg

Winner's Quarters: vs Promaelia :4corrin::4palutena:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glKIG-1vkgs

Loser's Semis: vs Black Bayo :4bayonetta:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfrstwZ_MUo

Loser's Finals: vs Promaelia :4corrin::4palutena:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKyBNncmNZA

** By the way, this guy is probably the best Jigglypuff out there and is an unsung hero. I haven't watched these matches yet, but I saw it was him playing Charizard and knew they had to go up.

Gamegenie222

Space Pheasant Dragon Tactician
NNID
Gamegenie222
3DS FC
3411-1825-3363
Here is our charizard player from our area Kit/Jukitsu winning our arcadian two weeks ago he has few matches here and there was a small issue exporting the footage from twitch so some audio was looped along with footage. I'll leave time stamps in a bit.

vs DPSG Jerm( Game and Watch) around the 23:30 mark winners finals

vs LTL T1BK ( Samus) Grand Finals around the 1:44:30 mark

And top 16 footage is on twitch and here's the link his first top 16 match starts around 6:28:00 on the twitch link.

Check out this video "Missouri River Arcadian 2 - Presented by HSC, hosted by Portal LAN Arcade" http://www.twitch.tv/camtendo/v/58245762?sr=a

Last edited:

TrainerCharred

Smash Rookie
Here's a set I had at tonight's weekly vs my man Severe Calamari opting for :4lucario: and :4bayonetta: Fierce edgeguards!

https://www.twitch.tv/datteamlive/v/59970404?t=03h19m05s
Yooo that was so sick! How on earth did you manage to time so many of those perfect d-smash edgeguards on that Lucario? It sure as hell is not easy to land those things so consistently. Are you just that familiar with the matchup and timing of Lucario's recovery or was there a bit of luck involved? Either way good stuff, man.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Yeah, that was really sick. I really like how you play Virum Virum . I'm trying to pick up Cloud so your match vs Peach helped me out a bit too. Would love to see more of your stuff.

Virum

Smash Ace
NNID
SiLeNtDo0m
3DS FC
3368-3441-2801
Yooo that was so sick! How on earth did you manage to time so many of those perfect d-smash edgeguards on that Lucario? It sure as hell is not easy to land those things so consistently. Are you just that familiar with the matchup and timing of Lucario's recovery or was there a bit of luck involved? Either way good stuff, man.
Lucario is cursed with a pretty bad recovery as for most of the movement it doesn't have a hitbox and unlike other characters who don't have hitboxes on their recoveries it's incredibly telegraphed as to when he's going to use it (Rosalina's starts the motion very fast, while Pit doesn't have to use his Up B to recover). Furthermore Lucario's recovery is cursed by the fact hat if he chooses not to go to the ledge he'll likely end up in special fall and suffer the massive 60 frames of landing lag (I was able to whiff my FAir, walk up and turn around DTilt him before he could do anything). Flamethrower is great for forcing him to recover low, while you can release DSmash on reaction to his recovery and catch it relatively consistently.

Funnily enough I didn't have that much experience in this match-up specifically prior. I had been playing Calamari's Lucario in a few friendlies with Cloud before and I found it easy to consistently 2 frame him with DTilt so I simply applied the same idea with Charizard, a character who gets a lot more off of his 2 frame catches. I opted for Zard over Cloud in this MU because I wanted a character who could more effectively edgeguard him with low commitment, a character with better ground buttons (Zard's jab is better than all of Cloud's ground moves) and a character with a safe move I could use to kill Lucario early to prevent him from stockpiling aura (good ol Zard BAir).

SmAshiok

IRL Twilight Princess
NNID
ashiok
Shout out to 666 messages from Virum Virum : )

Anyway, here's something I threw together today mostly to muck around with premiere, but also to showcase some labbing I've done with jab locks.

DESE

Smash Rookie
Here's a set I had at tonight's weekly vs my man Severe Calamari opting for :4lucario: and :4bayonetta: Fierce edgeguards!

https://www.twitch.tv/datteamlive/v/59970404?t=03h19m05s
Nice fight in general. I like the way you beat lucario (cause never fought one in my life, so I had to take my notes). The first time you do Dsmash to smash out the Lucario's Extremespeed (from air to you) and then the double Extremespeed U shapped he uses to avoiding you, you could use the Flare Blitz to reach him. I use to do that againts Diddy's Rocketbarrel Boos while he's trying to get away from me.

Nice spacing fight againts Bayonetta too, great DI to scape combos. Keep up the good meta.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
I feel like I've hit a bit of a wall lately and haven't been improving much. I finally had the balls to play some ranked Anthers Ladder matches last night, after sticking to just friendlies for a while so I could record the sets and get some advice. I uploaded two sets, one losing 0-2 one winning 2-0. Here are the sets.

The first two games are the set I lose, and I think is a perfect example of what happens to me when I play someone a good amount better than me (this guy was Gold III). I make a lot of mistakes, and generally try to just catch the other person off guard. I have a lot of trouble getting back on stage from the ledge. I've also noticed I often have a lot of trouble winning neutral until they start looking for a kill. This is usually when I can get a punish and rack up some damage.

The second set of games I win, but both are really close games and could of gone either way. I included this set because during the second game there are certain points during the game where I feel I'm playing at my peak, I don't get much better than that. I can't get there consistently though, and I'm not really quite sure what I'm doing differently that makes me play better.

Some things I know I need to work on is my use of B-Air and my general spacing. Right now I'm just kind of throwing B-Air out randomly to find spots where I can use it, I never used it pre-patch because it was so laggy. So I'm kind of still learning how and when to use it. And Spacing I feel like is one of those things you're always working on getting better at. Other than that, I'm really not sure on what I should be focusing on to improve my game. Any advice is welcome, I'm not the type to get offended for criticism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom