• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard uthrow on Dreamland

TreK

Is "that guy"
If Charizard uthrows you with his back next to the ledge, while the wind is blowing his way, the uthrow will be pushed back a few inches and this will let charizard stage spike you.
I have not tested this with other characters, but I suspect it might work with others as well (ROB ? MK ? Kirby ?)

TreK

Is "that guy"
In that case, as a TO, it makes little sense to ban walkoff stages and not ban dreamland.
The kind of gameplan those things encourage is the same : camp on the side until you get a free kill. And that's not what I want to see at my events.

So what would you rather lose : a gimmick, or Dreamland ?

felipe_9595

Smash Lord
In that case, as a TO, it makes little sense to ban walkoff stages and not ban dreamland.
The kind of gameplan those things encourage is the same : camp on the side until you get a free kill. And that's not what I want to see at my events.

So what would you rather lose : a gimmick, or Dreamland ?
It has been in every smash game. Kirby grab kill both in 64 too, same for Melee.

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Dumb **** has been in every smash game so far, yes. What's your point ?

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
It's a stage spike. You could, I dunno, tech it? And maybe punish Zard as he's stuck in the animation? This is in no way a free kill. If someone dies to this, they either didn't know about it (lack of matchup knowledge,) or failed to tech (execution error.)

ShadowShlong

Smash Cadet
This is nothing like a walkoff where you stand next to the blastzone and bthrow or chaingrab them off. The charizard has to be facing away from the center of the stage, and you need to be right on the edge, so unless they pivot grab coming back or you slow get up or something this isn't a game breaking thing. Also DI towards the stage and try to tech it. Kirby's dthrow, charizards dthrow, and plenty of others will spike when done on the edge of the stage, if it kills you it kills you, but it's pretty hard for it to kill you.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Not to mention that Charizard is very vulnerable with his back to the ledge in 3.5, so camping around there is generally a bad idea. The duration of the wind is so short that it doesn't really warrant camping. Also, Charizard's defensive options are all ridiculously close range. If you get hit by this, it is entirely your own fault, either because you rushed in blindly at a bad time, or because you did not know it was a thing.

Charizard is also able to do this on Smashville if he performs Seismic Toss off the moving platform at just the right place and time, though the situation of getting a grab at that specific spot facing the specific direction at the specific part of the platform at the right time occurs so rarely that it's almost impossible to pull off in an actual match.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
How exactly does this work: does Charizard fall "below" the normal height and release you low + near the edge of the stage? MK had something similar in Brawl on GG's, but it involved Uthrow being stopped by falling blocks instead of wind.

Kally Wally

Smash Ace
Yes, that's it precisely. He ends up right around the bottom edge of the stage, just high enough that you shouldn't get stuck under the stage, especially if your DI is good. I only tested it on Ganon though, other characters might get pineappled.

Top Bottom