• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard Tips?

SuperLuigi9624

Smash Cadet
I really like Charizard, and I main him along with Mario. Though, if you compare my Mario game compared to my Charizard game... it, uh... doesn't hold up well. Basically, all I need to do is learn some combos and techs. Very often do I just find myself seeing that my attacks are pretty much ineffective, too slow, and I just resort to Flare Blitz because of its sheer force, which ends up getting my killed.

I just need a few reliable combos, maybe a few pointers, and then I'll be on my way.
(Nothing frame perfect, mmk?)

Charey

Smash Apprentice
I just need a few reliable combos
Sorry, but that isn't what Charizard is about, he has very few combos mostly he is about owning the neutral and making any small mistake your foe does hurt.

Flamethrower, jab, and nair are your main tools. you can use your longer ranged attacks to bully people out of stage control and in general make approaching you hard.

Knee Smasher

Smash Ace
NNID
UltimateChampion
3DS FC
2594-9924-0738
Fun fact about Charizard's throw game: By Fthrowing/Bthrowing someone off the stage and then edgeguarding them with Flamethrower, Charizard deals more damage to the opponent than an average throw to aerial combo of other characters does (and this is not even taking into account the multiple things Charizard can do after the opponent successfully sweetspots the ledge after taking the throw + Flamethrower damage, such as using Fair or Nair to read a ledgejump, shieldgrabbing a ledge get up attack before throwing them back off the stage and then continue edgeguarding, or Fsmashing to read a ledge-roll).

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
If you want to do combos then learn how to short hop N-air since that's his main combo starter at low percents. It combos into jab, grab or F-tilt. Another combo with Charizard at low percents is Back throw into F-air and depending on how fast the character falls you can then follow up with a jab on a character like Link.
So a decent combo with Charizard at low percents would be N-air>grab>B-throw>F-air.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Charizard has enough fast attacks to get the job done if you know what they are.
Nair, Jab, Up Smash, and his grab should be your go-to attacks.
Nair is especially versatile because of that large hitbox and almost non-existent landing lag.

You can act out of Charizard's skidding animation with a jab almost immediately. Once you get the timing down, this can be a real nifty tool, letting you use a jab or tilt in place of a dash attack. Just don't try to do it at the start up of the dash; it won't work then.

Flamethrower eats many projectiles, making it a valuable approaching tool. Or, like Knee Smasher said, you can use it to mess with recovering opponents to get in some free damage. Top it off with its long range and a bit of practice, and you've got a really nifty move.

Rock Smash has awesome super armor and does a ton of damage. Use this move almost like you would a counter; when you read an opponents attack.

And don't ever use Flare Blitz unless
a) You're recovering, or
b) You know for sure it's going to hit. Keep an eye out for any landing lag; Flare Blitz is awesome at punishing that.

Last edited:

Shadow7474

Smash Rookie
I think one of the most important things to learn is b-reversal of rock smash. Ever since I have become decent at pulling it off I feel like I have a few more options with things like recovering from above the stage and controlling the neutral with an unexpected mixup.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I just need a few reliable combos, maybe a few pointers, and then I'll be on my way.
(Nothing frame perfect, mmk?)
Well since Zacman covered the pointers, I guess I can give you some basic combos

Nair > Jab 3> Fair

Nair > Jab 2 > Grab

Nair > Jab 2 > Jab 2 > Jab 3 Fair

Nair > Jab 2 > Jab 2 > Jab 2 Grab

Nair > Dtilt

Nair > Ftilt

Nair > Utilt (...Nair > Utilt > Nair It's possible to chain these moves together multiple times, but relies on your opponent being bad)

Nair > Grab

Nair > Usmash

Nair (sourspot) > Fsmash

Nair > Utilt > Nair > Grab / Utilt / Dsmash

- - -

Jab 3> Fair

Jab 3> Bair (at mid %)

Jab3 > Dash Cancel > Utilt

Jab > Hyphen Usmash

Jab 2> Grab

Jab 3> Nair

Jab 2 > Up B / Grab / Jab

- - -
Buffer a Dash out of Bthrow for these combos to work

Bthrow > Fair

Bthrow > Nair

Bthrow > Flamethrower

- - -

Rocksmash > Bair

Not sure how to pull off consistantly

- - -

And for fun, a 0 - Death combo i like to do

Nair > Ftilt > Dash Cancel > Dtilt > Dair

If I had a way to upload to Youtube I'd show this in a video but meh.

:006:

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Utilt > utilt > usmash at 0

Rock smash > usmash at 0

Most zard combos are not true but he is full of strong frame/tech traps

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Utilt > utilt > usmash at 0

Rock smash > usmash at 0

Most zard combos are not true but he is full of strong frame/tech traps
I know about that Up Tilt combo and it pretty much is a combo but the Rock Smash one isn't right? The only time I've been able to do the Rock Smash one is if I make a good read (juicy 47% damage) so I'm guessing that 'combo' is a frame trap you were referring to?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I know about that Up Tilt combo and it pretty much is a combo but the Rock Smash one isn't right? The only time I've been able to do the Rock Smash one is if I make a good read (juicy 47% damage) so I'm guessing that 'combo' is a frame trap you were referring to?
Yeah, they can jump out or airdodge but airdodge is easily punished and jump lets you trap them when they land.

CCCM89

Smash Ace
Back throw has no end flag, so you back back throw immediately into a DA/ Dash into short hopped Fair thease are the only real combos you need to know. make sure to practice them.

Top Bottom