• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard! King of the comeback!

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I am a Charizard secondary, and a King Dedede main, and while Dedede may be the king of Dreamland, Charizard is undoubtably the king of comebacks, ridiculous upsets, and crushing your opponent right when they think they've won. Even with all my matches as DDD combined, I think I have had more comebacks with the Zard. I have heard that this is not something specific to me, and that many people have had amazing comebacks with Charizard, so I created this thread because I want to hear about your best, most satisfying comeback.

For me, there was a match where I played against a Diddy, and my first stock got destroyed immediately. The Diddy continued to maintain the momentum of the match until I was over 100% on my last stock, and he was at around 60% on his first. At this point, he thought he had the game in the bag so much that every time he launched me, or even got far enough away from me, he would taunt! It was at this point where I thought, "No, I can't lose to this guy, I can't lose to this cocky, disrespectful peon!" So I somehow just flipped a switch or something, and destroyed the rest of his first stock. But then I had a problem: He was now at zero percent, and had his entire stock, and my momentum was reset. I knew I had to meteor him, but to avoid making it obvious, I briefly fought him near the center of the stage, and the first time I got him off, I read his side-B and got him with the D-air! But it wasn't enough, and he pulled out his jetpack, preparing to recover. But I landed back on stage and flamethrowered him when he tried to get back, sending that overconfident fool to his doom. I had never felt more proud of a match.

Last edited:

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
The King of Combacks is undoubtably :4lucario:

:4charizard: is more like the Prince of Combacks :p

:006:
Well, while that may be true, is it really that satisfying to get a comeback as lucario? His playstyle basically revolves around making a comeback, so it's expected. I secondary both lucario and zard, and I can tell you that every one of Charizard's upsets are memorable and amazing, when lucario's are comparatively lackluster, and involve camping with large aura spheres and force palms to get damage, whereas zard has to put himself at risk, get his claws dirty, and get reads even though one mistake will end it all. Lucario's upsets don't call for a thread to share them, but I believe Charizard's do.

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Well, while that may be true, is it really that satisfying to get a comeback as lucario? His playstyle basically revolves around making a comeback, so it's expected. I secondary both lucario and zard, and I can tell you that every one of Charizard's upsets are memorable and amazing, when lucario's are comparatively lackluster, and involve camping with large aura spheres and force palms to get damage, whereas zard has to put himself at risk, get his claws dirty, and get reads even though one mistake will end it all. Lucario's upsets don't call for a thread to share them, but I believe Charizard's do.
Have to agree with you there :p

Nothing is more satisfying than to be sitting on the brink of defeat, only to get off a sick series of reads, leading up to an epic finisher that leaves the crowd amazed and dumfounded that Charizard managed to pull through it all.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
This happened quite a while ago, but I will share it anyways.

I was against a player who plays Fox at an Online EU Tourney. I got bodied at my two first stocks. The match was pretty intense, since I thought I was done for, but amazing things happens once in a while

Here's a video to showcase it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQT5R6vXDt4

SirJuicius

Smash Apprentice
The second best kind of Charizard victories are comeback victories. The best kind though is clearly dominating the opponent.

MankeyShank

Smash Cadet
Indeed: Charizard is the king of comebacks.

Recently, I was playing this one Captain Falcon on For Glory, and a pretty damn good one mind you. We're both at 2 stock, and he manages to get me to 167%. With Charizard is fuming with steam, I get my sh*t together. I manage to take out his first stock (can't remember how), he has one left, at 0%, with me at the risk of getting KO'd with a single misread. I dodge his first move, hit him with several jabs and a dash that send him airborne. That's when it happened: I use Up-B, make a direct hit, and KO him, winning the game.

That match will be one of my most memorable matches for years to come.

I put that match in this montage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlN2746dCQw

Last edited:

Strider755

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ike755
3DS FC
1220-7045-0584
Yeah I had a sweet comeback in a local tourney as well; it was me against a pretty good Yoshi player.

He had me on the ropes for most of the match, to the point that I was on my last stock and he was still on his 1st (but at high damage). Well, I finished that stock of his pretty quickly, leaving him at 2 fresh stocks to my 1. After a mostly even exchange, I managed to score another KO, but now I was at high damage with him at 0%. After softening him up a bit, I simply lured him to the edge of the stage, grabbed him, and performed my bthrow -> dragon rush combo offstage to score the win.

Coonce

Smash Apprentice
I think what helps Charizard with comebacks is the fact that:

1) He's heavy and has a difficult to punish recovery, allowing him to live to higher than average percentages.
2) Nearly every one of his moves outside of flamethrower can kill.

Combine the two and you get a high percentage Charizard. A Charizard who is enraged as all hell and can kill you at stupidly low percentages.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
I think what helps Charizard with comebacks is the fact that:

1) He's heavy and has a difficult to punish recovery, allowing him to live to higher than average percentages.
2) Nearly every one of his moves outside of flamethrower can kill.

Combine the two and you get a high percentage Charizard. A Charizard who is enraged as all hell and can kill you at stupidly low percentages.
Hmm, now that I think about it, I've probably killed with every standard move Charizard has. Jab for sure, especially after the 1.0.8 buff. All the tilts and smashes of course. Every aerial. Every throw (Zard cheated on this one, with the uthrow/dthrow switch BUT STILL!). Every standard special (Flamethrower gimps are real). How many characters can say that they can kill you with literally every option they have?

Hell, with customs the only moves that won't directly lead to kills are Fly High (duh), and probably Rock Hurl. Sinking Skull can still spike people on its own, I guess. Idk if Rock Hurl really kills at very high but still plausible percents like 200%.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
The King of Combacks is undoubtably :4lucario:

:4charizard: is more like the Prince of Combacks :p

I'd agree if Lucario wasnt designed that way. Before 40% i find using Lucario to be impossible because you can chain hit for a full minute and still cant get a kill because your aura is crap, but once 40% comes you can start doing some serious damage.

Charizard has a habit of pulling kills out of nowhere ive noticed. Ive also had a ton of comebacks as Ridlizard (take a wild guess what color i use...lol) PURELY because of Strength and Fireball Cannon. Fireball Cannon if you can sneak it in will snake a kill so easily its not even funny, and Strength for approach is hilarious since (afaik) nothing goes through it except a grab. Took a DK Punch to the face and i didnt flinch, so im pretty sure nothing goes through it (KO Punch/Focus Punch obviously dont care).
That, and his recovery is unusually good. His multijump might as well be a normal jump since both are pretty dumb, but his up/sideB are both really difficult to punish without a Counter or damn good timing.
And personally, i seem to last longer as him than any other heavyweight before being straight up knocked off. Could just be my luck but even as Bowser ive died sub 100% to an uncharged smash attack, and i dont think ive ever died sub100% as Zard unless i was spiked or i jacked up and held:GCUR: instead of :GCU: for my UpB, which for some reason makes Zard prefer to use his sideb. That kills me a LOT more than i'd like to admit...lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom