• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard General Thread

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
He was cut cause he got too OP when he evolved.
You really want to add insult to injury, don't you?... -_- At least Blastoise would've been combo'd to high hell. Also, OP? Please, I got a Raichu and a Thunder with Blastoise's name on it. Even a Pikachu with Light Ball.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
You really want to add insult to injury, don't you?... -_- At least Blastoise would've been combo'd to high hell. Also, OP? Please, I got a Raichu and a Thunder with Blastoise's name on it. Even a Pikachu with Light Ball.
I was joking.

If Blastoise was playable he'd be an unmovable tank blasting foes with his water cannon from half way across the stage. Incapable of combos, but unmovable.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Since we have a fire-type with Charizard and water-type with Greninja, does this hint that we've still got a grass-type Pokemon yet to revealed?
I kinda hope so (as long as mewtwo is still in........ and Jigglypuff even though I dislike her, she is like family for smash).
Though when you think about it and assuming there won't be multiple reps from the same gen:
Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur are outshadowed by Charizard. (And there's already Pikachu, Jiggs, and possibly Mewtwo already.)
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium were never amazingly popular, so it's rather unlikely.
Sceptile/Groovyle seem rather popular, but it'd probably be best to not do him, so Blaziken can be added for a future Smash, since Blaziken is one of the most popular starters.
Turtwig's evolutionary line and just about every starter for 4th gen seems to be unliked by many people, or just "meh". I don't think turtwig ever did anything special if I remember right so it's unlikely. Also, Lucario is already representing the 4th gen.
Snivy/Serperior seem rather popular (Servine not so much). I'd also like to see Serperior in since we don't have any snakes in the roster yet. It would be interesting to play.
Chespin's evolutionary line probably won't happen due to Greninja being playable.

We'll just have to see when the game is released.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
If Blastoise was playable he'd be an unmovable tank blasting foes with his water cannon from half way across the stage. Incapable of combos, but unmovable.
Maybe, but he'd only be a slightly better version of Bowser and would be Melee spacie weight. He'd be one of the worst characters as movement would highly be out of his favor. He'd be hard to send flying, but very easy to gimp.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
It seems Charizard received a Flamethrower buff. Maybe it's just me, but it looks like the range is massively longer than it was in Brawl.

Last edited:

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration

I've seen Charizard use his old Ftilt and Fsmash, and this pic looks like the ground pic. I believe his new Side B is Dragon's Claw.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Possible new tilt/smash

I was going to bring this up, but I saw the picture. I guess I'm a bit late. I'm pretty sure that's his side B since it can be done in the air as well. I thought it was air slash since it has some range, but now that I think it over again and hear other people's thoughts, I'm going to conclude that it's dragon claw. It looks similar to Bowser's side B in except without grabbing the target as well. Otherwise, this new move looks pretty bad***.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

I've seen Charizard use his old Ftilt and Fsmash, and this pic looks like the ground pic. I believe his new Side B is Dragon's Claw.
I'd say down B, with side B being flame charge (or something. You know, the one move in the direct)

HVDooD

Smash Cadet
Charizard being solo is awesome, childhood all over again and i might plan on making him my second main.

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
I kinda hope so (as long as mewtwo is still in........ and Jigglypuff even though I dislike her, she is like family for smash).
Though when you think about it and assuming there won't be multiple reps from the same gen:
Bulbasaur/Ivysaur/Venusaur are outshadowed by Charizard. (And there's already Pikachu, Jiggs, and possibly Mewtwo already.)
Chikorita/Bayleef/Meganium were never amazingly popular, so it's rather unlikely.
Sceptile/Groovyle seem rather popular, but it'd probably be best to not do him, so Blaziken can be added for a future Smash, since Blaziken is one of the most popular starters.
Turtwig's evolutionary line and just about every starter for 4th gen seems to be unliked by many people, or just "meh". I don't think turtwig ever did anything special if I remember right so it's unlikely. Also, Lucario is already representing the 4th gen.
Snivy/Serperior seem rather popular (Servine not so much). I'd also like to see Serperior in since we don't have any snakes in the roster yet. It would be interesting to play.
Chespin's evolutionary line probably won't happen due to Greninja being playable.

We'll just have to see when the game is released.
I thought the 4th gen starters had some great designs, Torterra had a tree on his back

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Guys, look at 2:02. That looks like a down special to me because it looks very similar to Falcon Kick.
I don't think it's a down special unless you go straight down in midair. until that (or something similar, perhaps on a mostly downward angle) happens, I'm really confident it's a side special.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Pretty sure that's his new side special... Flare Blitz if I had to guess since it seems to have a lot of endlag afterwards, which lines up with the Pokemon games since the move drains your Pokemon's energy after use.

The Suit-less Ace

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2234-7574-2599
Pretty sure that's his new side special... Flare Blitz if I had to guess since it seems to have a lot of endlag afterwards, which lines up with the Pokemon games since the move drains your Pokemon's energy after use.
I'm sure it's flare blitz. But I do think it's down special. Yes, if we see Charizard go down in midair while using this attack, it's 100% down special.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Actually that's Fly, I think, you can tell cause it's the same animation. It's just that this time it seems that you can go horizontally.

D

Deleted member

That would make a pretty cool victory pose. Charizard needs a new pose to replace the Pokémon Trainer one.

Assuming the results screen doesn't go through a drastic modification.

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
When Pokémon Trainer got a letter from Sakurai: I am sorry to say that you will not be included in this edition of Super Smash Bros.....

Red: Well, sorry guys, looks like we aren't in this time.

Charizard: Screw you guys, I'm riding solo!

CHARIZARD Fires it Up!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I am still hoping that one day we'll get Blastoise.

Charizard vs Blastoise is a million times more epic than Charizard vs Greninja.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
When Pokémon Trainer got a letter from Sakurai: I am sorry to say that you will not be included in this edition of Super Smash Bros.....

Red: Well, sorry guys, looks like we aren't in this time.

Charizard: Screw you guys, I'm riding solo!

CHARIZARD Fires it Up!
It's like receiving an invitation in your house to go to a big party, only that the letter is addressed to your dog instead of you.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'd invite the dog to if it could fly around the sky at top speeds and breaths fire as a badass mofo.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am quite certain that I am gonna end up making Charizard one of my many secondaries. Possibly even a 'main' secondary, like DK was for me in Brawl. I swear it, solo Charizard was the best thing from last Direct. I just hope they balance him better this time. And make him more of an aerial fighter, as in Project M. Would like it to if he felt less sluggish, and hope his recovery is buffed for the lack of gliding, like Pit's.

I mean it when I say, I love Charizard! He's looking badass as **** in this game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Am quite certain that I am gonna end up making Charizard one of my many secondaries. Possibly even a 'main' secondary, like DK was for me in Brawl. I swear it, solo Charizard was the best thing from last Direct. I just hope they balance him better this time. And make him more of an aerial fighter, as in Project M. Would like it to if he felt less sluggish, and hope his recovery is buffed for the lack of gliding, like Pit's.

I mean it when I say, I love Charizard! He's looking badass as **** in this game.
He appears to have a move that gives good horizontal distance, so that's one recovery boost (or, at least, a substitute for gliding). We just haven't seen much of Ol' 'Zard quite yet.

Neo Zero

Banned via Administration
So turns out the flaming charge is Flare Blitz as his Side B, while Rock Smash returns as Down B (taken from the new PotD). Also there goes a Dragon Claw side B. Ah well, great to finally learn about Flare Blitz and to hear the Rock has come back....to Smash Bros

Almost forgot, Zard X was confirmed to be his Final Smash as well

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Came here to say that as well.
I thought that move was just Fly aiming horizontally, but it seems you guys were right about it being Flare Blitz. And thanks goodness, Rock Smash is still there (I cant be the only who appreciated that move, cant I?)
Oh, and confirmation of Mega Charizard X as his Final Smash. Shame that it wont see any use in tournaments but it is still cool.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Came here to say that as well.
I thought that move was just Fly aiming horizontally, but it seems you guys were right about it being Flare Blitz. And thanks goodness, Rock Smash is still there (I cant be the only who appreciated that move, cant I?)
Oh, and confirmation of Mega Charizard X as his Final Smash. Shame that it wont see any use in tournaments but it is still cool.

Why are his wings black instead of blue?
I can't wait to see the new final smash in action!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Zard mains rejoice! One of the most spammable moves from Brawl is back! :troll:

There will most likely be some changes to it but I'm just glad to see it return.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I still haven't tried out Pokemon X/Y, but I gotta say his Final Smash form looks badass.

I also considered maining him back when he was part of the Pokemon Trainer ensemble in Brawl, but chose not to because I hated their gameplay mechanic. Here, he looks awesome. I'm a beast with him in Project M, so I'm hoping that I'll enjoy him here too.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
I've played Charizard as my secondary for a long time in PM. I can't express how excited and happy I am that he's a standalone in Smash 4!

However, what I really came here for: I will be one of the people at the Smash 4 Best Buy demos. What are the top 5 things you'd like me to test out for you? You can list more than that but I can only work on a few, because I'm sure there will be a time limit as everyone has to have a chance to play. A combined top 5 consensus would be great. Thanks!

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
I've played Charizard as my secondary for a long time in PM. I can't express how excited and happy I am that he's a standalone in Smash 4!

However, what I really came here for: I will be one of the people at the Smash 4 Best Buy demos. What are the top 5 things you'd like me to test out for you? You can list more than that but I can only work on a few, because I'm sure there will be a time limit as everyone has to have a chance to play. A combined top 5 consensus would be great. Thanks!
Would you mind testing out Villager's Balloon mechanic? His Up B move to be exact.

Top Bottom