• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard General Thread

JOE!

Smash Hero
Charizard has so many "good" power moves by the looks of it. With this whole vectoring thing, having power moves seems to be a great asset, and Charizard has them in spades + Good mobility.

sandslash

Smash Apprentice
I used pokemon trainer as one of my secondaries after pikachu but mostly for ivysaur but i never really got charizard down. Maybe this time around I will. That red one is sick. Also like the golden colored one.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
You guys remember Brawl Charizard's Full Hop + Dair option buffered having a large disjointed area underneath him airborne hitting characters on the ground right?

So, does Charizard have any kind of disjoint similar with his Dair in Sm4sh?

Last edited:

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Yes, for Pikachu at least. The raccoon tail looks like it's coming out right above Pikachu's tail, almost on his back. I never noticed it made raccoon ears too though.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
I dunno if this was in Brawl or already known, but I tell you anyway:

I read in the Tips in the demo that Charizard gets a bit of Super Armour in Rock Smash, just before he headbutts the stone. :4charizard:

EDIT:
New update!
Charizard's wings don't take damage when using his up tilt.

Last edited:

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
I dunno if this was in Brawl or already known, but I tell you anyway:

I read in the Tips in the demo that Charizard gets a bit of Super Armour in Rock Smash, just before he headbutts the stone. :4charizard:
Nope your absolutely right.No super armor was present during brawl zard's rock smash.This is a great buff to a already great move.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Nope your absolutely right.No super armor was present during brawl zard's rock smash.This is a great buff to a already great move.
Are you sure?

I thought it had some armor on it.

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
What exactly happens with Mega Charizard X? I've seen fire blast and fly, is anything else changed? Are his smashes/grabs different or is it only those two?

Jaguar360

Smash Lord
NNID
Jaguar360
3DS FC
0516-7348-2137
What exactly happens with Mega Charizard X? I've seen fire blast and fly, is anything else changed? Are his smashes/grabs different or is it only those two?
I think it's just Fire Blast and Fly, like how Super Dragon Yoshi has the fireball and other attack by using A and B respectively. CharX probably uses Fire Blast with B and Fly with A or something like that.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804

Does this effect hold true for Pikachu, Fox, and Lucario?

Because that looks really badly done.
I've gotten the tail in the demo as Pikachu. Half the time it overlaps, the other half the tail is in the middle of his back.

I don't think they were going for fluidity/how good it looks when designing the item. I recall there being a PotD that said they were still "thinking about whether or not you should be able to attack with it."

Regardless it will be fun getting one/gliding with Charizard for a few seconds. Infinite B-air sweep across the stage.

roymustang1990-

Smash Ace
NNID
RoyMustang1990
Are you sure?

I thought it had some armor on it.
Am absolutely 100% positive.

Let's look back on the zard vs marth match up back on brawl. Marth could hit charizard out of his rock smash animation if you spaced correctly with Marth's fair while not receiving damage so if there was super armor present like you were saying, charizard would have absorb Marth's fair and not receive knock back.

You must be confusing the term super armor with priority.

Unless you were talking about fly,which does have super armor properties.

Last edited:

snaptrap

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0989-1743-4601
I'm really excited for Charizard in Smash 3DS. He seems like such a powerful and fast character this time around. I love how he looks, dragons are just so cool. His purple and green palette swap made me chuckle (it reminds me a lot of Ridley, who sadly wasn't included), but I'm planning on using his red, yellow or white colour swap.They look really awesome. Flare Blitz looks really fun to use, I believe it's possible to follow up after landing a hit with it, so it could result in Charizard becoming a very flashy fighter. And I love flashy fighters like Captain Falcon and Peach, so Charizard seems right up my alley. The only bad part I can see about Charizard "eating his trainer" as Lordling put it, probably means that Ivysaur and Squirtle, two really fun fighters in their own right, got cut. Ivysaur was somewhat of a guilty pleasure fighter of mine. I loved how it worked so much, and it's a shame it won't be returning for Smash 4. But as I said, I'm really excited about a new, powered up Charizard for the next Smash! Can't believe it's just over 11 days away!

EDIT: The lack of a Shiny Charizard palette swap is sad though.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Technically the purple Charizard is his real shiny color, the one from GSC before they decided to randomly change it in the next generation.

GSC shiny:

Gold

Silver

Crystal
Does the purple Charizard have green wings? I haven't seen them. Also, that purple is a little dark compared to his shiny.

underpowered

Smash Cadet
I came to Brawl4 initially thinking I'd main Yoshi (again) and maybe try my hand at DK again (failed pretty hard with him in Melee and Brawl) and possibly pick up Greninja as my new character.

But then I found Charizard and I'm falling in love with this character. I mean, granted, I was always a casual player and I haven't played smash since I lost interest in Brawl, years ago, but... he's so fun! Fast! Powerful!

I'm only on the game for a few hours now... I was unlocking things like Game & Watch and Ganon, if that tells you how far in I am... but he's the most fun I've played.

His rock smash super armor is so useful, his nair is really good and I feel like it's the move I wanted on DK and never had. Bair and fair are a little bit harder to land, but effective. His jabs, especially third jab, and tilts/smash really have some DISTANCE on them, more than you'd guess. I like that. And I like how his up-smash seems to have two hits? A swipe right then left? Or left/right, I can't remember. Pretty sweet, extends the timing a bit.

These are some fights I did vs level 8/9 CPU tonight, after discovering Charizard. I'm a total casual, so pointers would be nice.

Top Bottom