• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Charizard changes 1.0.8

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
It seriously it like Mewtwo levels of good for a kill throw.
From what I've tested, it kills ~9-10% earlier on regular BF (when avoiding the platforms, very tough BTW) with default Mii than Mewtwo's Up-Throw.

EDIT: Playing around a bit more, the %s may vary (~6%?), but Zard's definitely kills earlier than M2's.

Last edited:

FletchMaster26

Smash Rookie
Well since it's a vertical kill move, I reckon that rage can make a sizable difference.

Case in point,

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I know rage is a part of that, and I think that DI wasn't the best from the Rosalina but seriously, they made it kill so early now.

Alex Night

Smash Ace
NNID
obiwan_jacoby
3DS FC
2234-7921-2718
I know rage is a part of that, and I think that DI wasn't the best from the Rosalina but seriously, they made it kill so early now.
I am certainly not complaining. Stuff like this was a step forward on what Charizard needed. Maybe a bit more air mobility or more height from his jumps and I think he is pretty good to go at that point.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
Wow. This isn't going to be a rocket to the top but I think these changes make a noticeable difference for Zard. Having such improved options out of his far-reaching grab is a big deal. Seismic Toss being a damaging kill is delicious, and the follow-ups from Dthrow help a lot. I agree with what others have said that this polishes Zard's game plan and improves his reliability. Interested to see how it plays out relative to the rest of the cast, other balance changes, and new additions.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's hard for me to get out of the habit of D-throwing when my opponent is at the ledge when F-throw or U-throw will be better options now...

But dang, I always wanted an actual reason to use U-throw. I also like how it's flying upwards gimmick has an actual use now.

Dudde

Smash Rookie
NNID
raddudde
3DS FC
1075-1056-9554
Somebody else also mentioned his air mobilty being improved, is anybody able to test this? I swear his 2nd jump isnt useless anymore, im almost 100 percent positive.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
I believe short-hopped N-air now autocancels. May be wrong...

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually you can fastfall like the last 2 or 3 frames of it. fair is the one you cannot fastfall at all.

Boozer

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DevilBoozer
3DS FC
4124-5214-3831
this upthrow buff is hilarious

basically the strongest upthrow in the game now l0l

also i feel like nair's ending lag has been increased

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
nah nair always took forever if you didn't autocancel it

90% sure all the aerials are the exact same, which is zard's biggest problem

nothing the best throw in the game can't fix tho

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
I'm here to confirm that uthrow is the best throw in the game. This takes ebola ness back throw on a whole new level.

This alone probably will bump him up a tier (Or two), like someone else in this thread said.

Is there anything else I should be testing?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
test for how many tears charizard shed when he heard about the buffs

Last edited:

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
I'm here to confirm that uthrow is the best throw in the game. This takes ebola ness back throw on a whole new level.

This alone probably will bump him up a tier (Or two), like someone else in this thread said.

Someone here mentioned that they fixed Charizard's jab at point blank so it combos all the time. I tried it myself and that seems to be the case.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Yeah, I've yet to have the counter reset on Luigi, Yoshi, Jiggs, DK or Sheik.

bring on the tears

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I've heard something about Charizard's jumps being better and I swear it feels like that...

But I don't want to be a victim of the placebo.

Is it possible to test that?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
By the way...

Have we tested customs yet?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
We Charizards always liked platforms, but this U-throw buff makes fighting on Battlefield so much more important.
Ooh, and Halberd to. I'm gonna love playing on that stage now.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
The up throw buff really is huge news for Charizard. He was really thirsting for a reliable kill move in mid stage, and this is a great addition to his game plan.

RadianB

Smash Journeyman
Fly definitely does combo into Down throw but you have to hold forward as soon as you use fly to get them. At higher percents (90-110 on Mario) opponents might be able to DI out of if but if they don't it's a guaranteed kill.

Dylan-AH

Smash Rookie
Is his Nair faster? Any time I would SH Nair in previous versions, he would land in his back and have lots of endlag. Now it completes in less than one SH and doesn't have lag

sonnytapman

Smash Rookie
Did Uair get buffed? I killed Diddy of the edge of FD at 89%.

EDIT: 71%, not 89%.

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
I swear to god his air speed got changed a little bit on one jump, not sure which, but a little bit faster he seems...(Placebo)

UpThrow is so amazing that I danced after I killed my brother with it

REJOICE CHARIZARD MAINS!! :006::4charizard::4charizard::4charizard::006:

Edit: UAir seems to be the same with me

Last edited:

Shog

Smash Ace
:006:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'ma go cry

Best Heavy? This is good news. Well let's work with him and show the world what a true heavyweight has to look like :101:

Thanks for @ Steeler Steeler for the GIF. I shall use it for flavoring my posts more here

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
I play both, all bias aside (I love boozer too ^^) I think Charizard is better now. Simply because having a kill throw and grab setups is so strong.

In customs, bowser might be better though. I can only imagine the scary things he can do once people master his custom side B.

:006:

Leety

Smash Cadet
NNID
Leety01
3DS FC
1993-8239-5899
I'm just absolutely loving this.

One of those things where it feels like it increases my performance with my character; but it's not by just giving me an 'I win' button attack to handle all my problems and I still need to give it my best effort.

Top Bottom